What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I think I'm actually going to drive it today for the first time in over a week...if my bum can take it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Cleaned engine bay, usually do this once or twice a month:
IMG_20171007_191538.jpg
Added a strip of hard rubber edge molding, to cover the sharp section along the top of the firewall:
IMG_20171007_191551.jpg

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
That's one clean looking engine comprtmnt!
Question; what are the gains (if any) to running the CAI and resonator delete ?
"What I did today",....actually it was last night,...I ordered 3"/2.5" lift,...1.5" wheel spacers,...and Cooper AT3 265/75/16's,... work will begin next weekend.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Finally moved that parts Saab into the driveway because my son needed its transmission. It might not be any better because the fluid was really dark and the history of this thing is not good. Engine was blown and already removed, had a 2.5" Magnaflow muffler in a 3" system, had an eBay cheap "6.0 Power" emblem on the rear even though it was just a 5.3 as well as matching cheap chrome stick ons everywhere. Poor thing :cry:

Hope to get it stripped and gone this week.

DSC_0709.JPG

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
...a victim of TB abuse. :stars:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Drove it to the doc's for a blood test.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Polished two of my SS replicas. Finish up the next two later. Takes me about 15 mins per wheel with my buffer. I use Mother's aluminum polish first since it's more aggressive and works quicker then I go over it with Surf City aluminum polish. Not as aggressive and shines it up nicely. Then two layers of Surf City nano seal. I wanna try some ceramic sealant on them to see how that holds. up

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Gave in and took the front springs to a shop to have the new HD Bilsteins swapped in.

Had used a rental compressor kit, but when I noted the rods / keepers were beginning to bow, and I needed to compress more to be able to properly install the retaining nut, I decided to have it done at a shop. Wasn't happy with what they charged, but at least I didn't have to deal w/ a broken compressor, and I can finally start putting the truck back together (as soon as I swap the plugs on the driver's side).

Reactions: Mooseman

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Got my second layer of sealant curing for a couple hours. I think after the tires on my stock 17s are dead I'll look for some 18s since I can't stand the look of the 17s after seeing it with the 20s. I'd use the 18s as rainy season wheels.

IMG_20171011_071152.jpg

Reactions: xavierny25

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Did you seriously run that wiring through the firewall? You could have used the connectors under the rear seat.

I would never run an amp of any sort off the rear. So easy to go straight to the battery and less risk. LED lights n CB is all i have hooked there.

Making progress little by little. This truck is a pain to run wire in.
View attachment 82088
Now to deal with this mess after work.
View attachment 82089
Such fun it is. Looks like you are keeping it clean though.

connorwallin

Jul 16, 2017
Philadelphia
TB had stabilitrak sensor and traction control sensor coming on all the time for a few months now. Got new sensors and still were coming on. Techs found that every time turning all the way to the right or left (i forget) that it would touch the sensor. Had a full front-end alignment done haven't had any issues yet.

Reactions: xavierny25

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Slapped the basket back on the roof
Looks good ,. Like the bumpers,.couldnt view your rig in you build thread cause stupid photobucket crap,

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Drove it to work for the first time in over 2 weeks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Need to add some power steering fluid to it again before driving it tonight. It had a decent whine on sunday

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It had the TPMS light on this morning. Solid light so it's a low pressure somewhere. Went out on the way back home from breakfast. Will check pressures later.

Checked a misfire.

And while I was there, replaced the rear washer motor (spare from the old TB, love having spare parts!)

Ordered new plugs for the misfire ongoing diagnosis.

Edit: Checked tires and all were around 30psi. It was pretty cold last night, near freezing, so pressure could have dropped below the low pressure threshold so I pumped them all up to 35psi. Stupid just having a light and no individual tire pressure display :mad:.

Last edited:

connorwallin

Jul 16, 2017
Philadelphia
Sitting outside of mechanics, saw a puddle last night and this morning, thought it was another vehicle of ours. When to back into my spot at school and heard a whine in the power steering. Just informed one of the power steering lines split. :/

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Stiiiiiiiiiiill waiting for the continuous thunderstorms to stop so I can put back on my rims. But I did have my buddy tune my system with his SMD DD1...still didn't like the sound on my door speakers so I tweaked a bit to my liking. I actually had to turn it down a bit since it was too loud for me. Atleast I know what not to exceed into distortion based on the DD1 settings. I still need to replace the speaker wires with some better quality ones.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Quick fix no go. The engine has to be lifted to get the hoses ran properly, $600 with labor. Gotta love it.
You are getting screwed. No reason to lift the motor at all.

Reactions: djthumper

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, never heard of that one.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I abused her. I'm such a bad owner. :sadcry:

Was backing into a parking garage spot at the mall, and thought I had a little more room on the passenger side than I really did... CRUNCH!

IMG_20171021_132736.jpg

Thankfully I got those aftermarket tails from @DJones so those will be going on when I get home tonight. Also try and buff out the paint.

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Hello everyone

Replaced all of the Brake pads today on the TB...
20171021_135913.jpg
Last week on the way to work they started squealing on me :nono:. Discovered the fronts were down to the wear indicator and with me hate hearing noisey brakes I took a pair of pliers an bent the tang knowing I would be digging into it very soon. So that's what I did...
20171021_173956.jpg
20171021_144300.jpg
The rear pads had some life left in them but went ahead and replaced them anyway. The front pads was shot...
20171021_174301.jpg
20171021_174517.jpg
Everything went pretty smoothly expect for one of the drivers side rear slid pins that was semi seized but was able to remove it and lube/grease it up.

Tomorrow I plan to Bleed/Flush the entire Brake system.

What I found odd about the whole process was the instructions with the front brake pads. It stated to torque the bolts to 42-46 Ft-lb...
20171021_205310.jpg
My Chilton Manual and the PDF's that @Mooseman posted both states to torque the front bolts to 31 Ft-lb and the rear bolts to 23 Ft-lb so that's what I did.

Hopefully there wasn't a revised torque procedure for the front caliper bolts...if so someone please chime in and let me know so I can fix it.

Thanks and have a great weekend everyone!

Reactions: fletch09

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
GM-SI says 31 and 23 so you're good. Those instructions could be from another model?

Reactions: RTTBLT1

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I abused her. I'm such a bad owner. :sadcry:

Was backing into a parking garage spot at the mall, and thought I had a little more room on the passenger side than I really did... CRUNCH!

View attachment 82225

Thankfully I got those aftermarket tails from @DJones so those will be going on when I get home tonight. Also try and buff out the paint.

:cry:

Riktar

Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
Made my wife happy by putting running boards on the TB.

Jul 24, 2012
Tried drilling out the studs in the muffler section that I sheared off when I took the cat section out. It took a long time to remove a bunch of material but I still didn't get them out. Maybe a different bit, maybe a smaller one would work better.

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
After yesterday's Brake pad replacement...today came the Bleeding/Flushing of the Brake system.

The fluid was black like old oil so it was long overdue...first I started by siphoning out all the old fluid before I started then topped up with new fluid (like I always do)...
20171022_095326.jpg
Then the fun began...
20171022_101709.jpg
20171022_101801.jpg
20171022_105155.jpg
20171022_105315.jpg
Only took a couple pictures on one wheel per axle but you guys get the picture.

Here is a example of what came out and what went in...
20171022_120441.jpg
With new Fluid, all new Brake pads and with the TB not being a DD, the Brake system should be good for quite a while.

Thanks and have a great upcoming week everyone!

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Ordered a new water pump and replaced the liscensce plate bracket on the liftgate. I found one in a local bone yard and had it painted. Total cost= $100.

Reactions: fletch09

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today i repare my automation transmission.
If Mosseman can explain to you what was the problem

Mosseman? That's fine mon ami! :biggrin:

He was having TCC slippage, at first thinking it was an issue with the engine. I recognized it as TCC slippage. Recommended to him he get and install the "shift kit" that fixes this, the one without the Vette servo. Anyway, after LOTS of messages/emails back and forth, videos, instructions here and on ORTB and some translations, he got the balls to do this himself despite not waiting for me to translate the official instructions. He initially had an issue where it wouldn't engage at all, told him to check the internal shift linkage to the shifter valve and voilà! A beautifully shifting tranny. Bravo!

Now for myself, replaced the battery in the TB. After 10 years, it was due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online