1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you do to your GMT today?

Discussion in 'SUV & Truck Chat' started by MAY03LT, Dec 18, 2011.

1. reedtchsrv

reedtchsrv Well-Known Member

Considering that the parts, coolant and special fan wrench cost me $250 and my TB has a KBB value of $2,500 at best, 10% of my truck doesn't feel cheap for a radiator!

2. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Spent about 1/2 the day researching the two available styles of water pump for the GMT360/370 w/ 5.3L (at least for early V8 models), the two different t-stats (integrated w/ water inlet neck, vs. 2 separate pieces), why the latter is supposed to be 'improved', and if the different t-stats are interchangeable with the two WP styles. Should make for a write-up with (hopefully) some addn'l info, vs. the existing ones on site.

(And, yes, I now have the correct t-stat for my new WP!)

Mooseman, RTTBLT1, xavierny25 and 2 others like this.
  3. sawicksted

sawicksted Well-Known Member

Been a while for me but here goes ..... it's been a busy week! I have been neglecting the TB for the past while as I was thinking about taking her "off the road" so to speak but can't find anything I like better anywhere so I decided to put some work back in. Usually I do all my own work but ths time I went to a shop and they quoted me $200 for the labour and the parts were about $850 total so I decided to give them a try. Drives like a dream again!
    Brakes all around, 2 rear calipers, rear rotors, front ball joints (all), two tie rod ends, alignment, wash, wax, paint some of the rust, paint frame rails, and rocker guard. Inspection passed!
    Next week is the interior / engine bay!

4. gpking

gpking Well-Known Member

I got back from a weekend camping trip. On the ride home I punched it on the interstate to show a 4Runner a loaded-down 6cyl. TrailBlazer is boss, of course, karma caught up and I lost all forward gears except 2nd and my coolant temp gauge went to 120°. This time the SES light actually illuminated so I pulled over to grab the codes:
    IMG_20170813_135706190-2.jpg

I don't care so much about the P0128 as I do the P1810. It seems On Board Diagnostics has FINALLY managed to tell me what is wrong with my transmission.

I'll be ordering a new "Automatic Transmission Manual Valve Position Pressure Switch" and replacing it. It resides on the bottom of the valve body, so a simple pan drop is all that's needed.
    As soon as Amazon can get the thing to my door, I'll be back to showing 4Runners who is boss.

RTTBLT1, Tiggerr, Matt and 2 others like this.
  5. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

Fired up the new compressor and got to removing that leaky rear tire, found the culprit!

IMG_20170818_174050.jpg

Took a bit of patience with the needle nose pliers, but eventually won the fight and pulled this out...

IMG_20170818_174225.jpg

Went into the toolbox and grabbed my tire plug kit. Got the hole reamed out, plug strip on the hook and ready to go, cracked open the tube of rubber cement that I had used only once before, and squeezed... and squeezed... and squeezed some more... Not only did all of the cement dry out, it evaporated, so I had a tube 3/4 full of air. :hahano:

Luckily I had a 2nd kit because I had broken the reamer the first time I used it, so there was an unopened tube in there. So the plug is in, and I'm letting the cement cure for a lil bit. Will go refill and mount the tire later after it cools off some more. :thumbsup:

:undecided: Need to source some rubber cement in a better container for the future though. Woulda been mad as hell if I had to turn around and mess with the spare, just to go somewhere to pick up some.

6. Matt

Matt Silver Supporter

Last night took an hour before dinner and changed both hubs...blessed silence.

RTTBLT1, Mooseman and gpking like this.
  7. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Was able to swap out my tailgate glass this morning, w/ my buddy's help. Great to have the rear looking 'complete' again, as well as the working CHMSL.

And...the vent actuator reset properly (by itself) - so I will have cool air available for my trip! :wooot::woohoo:

See you all in a few days!

For those wanting to view the eclipse on Monday - I am putting together a post helping to show the difference between 'real' glasses, and the 'fake' ones. The fake ones WILL blind you if you use them, so be careful.

If you miss this 'total' eclipse, the next one in the US will be in 2024 - but a smaller area will experience 'totality' than this one will.

Matt, RTTBLT1 and Mooseman like this.
  8. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

Shook my head at it... Came out into the garage this afternoon to notice the tire that I plugged last night was visibly low. Uh oh! Gave it the soapy water test, and sure enough, bubbles coming out from the sides. Hoping against hope that it was just a bad plug job on my part, I pulled the wheel and replugged it. No dice, still bubbled. :hissyfit:

Luckily there were no issues with the spare hoist, so I threw on the spare, aired that up, and took the wheel to a shop to get it patched. Didn't know that they wouldn't put a patch on a tire that's already had a plug attempted. Apparently the hole made by the rasp is too big... :confused: Besides that, my tires are too worn, so it needs to be replaced. Since I have 265/65/17s, they arent in stock and need to be ordered. Hell, then I might as well get a whole new set, cuz they are all similarly worn. :ugh:

So came back home and jacked up the truck again. Decided to put the spare on the front due to the diameter difference, and have the 2 rear tires be the same diameter for peace of mind. Will have to wait for the next paycheck, then the decision will be... stock size tires, or stick with the plus sized ones? :undecided:

RTTBLT1 and Mooseman like this.
  9. Tiggerr

Tiggerr Gold Supporter

Plugging tires never a good idea IMHO..
    Always patch from inside... less damaging than reaming and breaking more threads... plus less failures and last longer...

:twocents:

10. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

I've plugged lots of tires, including a new one, and the plug lasted as long as the tire.

It may have been reamed a little too much.

Blckshdw and RTTBLT1 like this.
  11. Blckshdw

Blckshdw Moderator

If I had a tire mounting machine, I would definitely go for patching over plugging. But that piece of equipment isn't currently on the mod bug wish list. I think if I had one, I might give Kyle a run for his money on being the resident rim/tire whore (try to anyway) :raspberry: I've plugged a few tires before without any issues, but yeah maybe I was a little too aggressive with the reaming tool. Live and learn (the hard way)

Currently shopping tires around the area to see what my options are. I went out and checked the rest of them, and I'm not down to the wear indicators yet, but I'm not too far off from them either. So some new rubber will be in short order pretty soon.

Matt, djthumper and RTTBLT1 like this.
  12. Tiggerr

Tiggerr Gold Supporter

Just putting it out there....
    Idk if y'all have "Discount Tire" stores in FL... but they fix flats for free... in the car or off... no matter where you bought the tires.
    Seem to remember pep boys doing that too when I lived in TX...

13. Capote

Capote Gold Supporter

Ordered a new 3157 signal socket for the passenger headlight. Seal shrunk and let moisture get into the base, compromising the blades with rust build-up.

Mooseman, Matt and $ Khalid ! 9130 like this.
  14. Mounce

Mounce Silver Supporter

Drove her to town and filled her up for the third time since the gas tank recall was done. So nice to be able to fill up again normally without any leakage.

Punched numbers and she's getting 14.1 mpg around town. Disappointed and thrilled at the same time.

littleblazer likes this.