Hardtrailz Build Thread 2006 Trailblazer

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Current Pics...

Bought used in early 2009...
Put a Thule basket on basically right away, but stock otherwise. Promised it would stay that way as well....
1.jpg

Then MarkMC 2.5 inch lift w Bilstien HD's all around
2.jpg

and some 265-70-17 Silent Armors
3.jpg

and front and rear brushguards
4.jpg

5.jpg

Then 2 inch body lift which negated the brushguards
6.jpg

Then some Pro Comp Wheels and tires
7.jpg

Then upped it to a 3 inch body lift
8.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Then some slider plated and welded to frame
9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Now it needed armor...
Steel Oil Pan skid, Radiator skid and cut and remounted the rear brushguard

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Folding Tire Carrier- Since sold and working with Barton for a new welded on one
16.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
It does get used. I drive it to and from trails and all over the countryside exploring. It has been to George Washington National Forest in VA a few times, WindRock TN, Badlands in Attica, IN, Redbird near Dugger, IN, and lots of other places. It always surprises people and takes good care of me.

Some of the pics I really like...

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

31.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
And the front bumper had lots of fun for awhile. Tried a tube one, made first plate one, then another and another and another...

Homemade tube stinger thing I bought off a Silverado and adapted so I did not have plastic to break
17.jpg

18.jpg

The original "let try this" bumper Barton built for me after I asked about c channel to make one. Now on Regulator's truck
19.jpg

20.jpg

The 3 inch body lift bumper with wings and shackle mounts. Now on HighVoltage's truck
21.jpg

22.jpg

My replacement for the one that went to Voltage. Wings, Shackle mounts, Reciever...
23.jpg

Current--Added Light Hoop/Deer Catcher
24.jpg

25.jpg

12,500 LB winch on Beautiful custom mount by MDB Fab
26.jpg

Along the lines it has also gotten upgraded with
Mark's new three inch spacer lift
2 inch longer Japanese rear coils
Stronger 88 front coils
Adjustable panhard bar from suicidedoors.com
Removed rear swaybar completely
Custom front swaybar links
Extended rear tubular control arms
Drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads
Pcmforless tune
Custom hooker catback exhaust
Cobra 75WX cb w 48 inch Firestik
Led lighting in fenderwells
Led interior
LED Reverse Lights
LED License Plate lights
VVME 35watt 6000K HID headlights
Custom vinyl hood stripe, pillars, and other decals thanks to HighVoltage
GM leather seat covers
Fire ext
Lots of Straps and Tools
Yakima Load Warrior with Extention
Hi-Lift Jack
Shovel
Ax

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
If I would ever get a truck to life It would be a TB or Voy! They are the nicest cars when lifted :yes: Truck looks great man!!

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
nice job :thumbsup:
you do seem to find some cool spots to off road.
always enjoy your pics of where youv'e been.
have you had to use the winch yet ?

Reactions: paul2005tb

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks.

I am planning to try out some different spots and do more camping this year. Hopefully good pics will come from it.

I have not used the winch except playing around and spooling it up tight. I am already modding it though. My new fairlead ships today and I got my synthetic rope all rigged up to be put on. Should shave 30-40 lbs off the front weight.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks guys. Lots of time from myself and other is invested but the results have been amazing.

culzero said:
looks nice. I remember when you bought those procomp wheels and tires at carlisle.

Tires are amazing, rims and customer service suck. Got a thread on here about my experience.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Great looking ride man. :thumbsup:

Love what you've done to it. I bet there isn't any trail it can't handle.

- woody

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
I'm not usually a big fan off the offroad scene but Jesus you have made that truck look sooo nice

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks for the kind words

Heepish

Dec 4, 2011
Really liking the look, especially the hood decal...I wonder if I can get one in Monster Green...:undecided:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
]
Heepish said:
Really liking the look, especially the hood decal...I wonder if I can get one in Monster Green...:undecided:

It was an idea I had sitting on a barstool and Highvoltage made it happen. Contact him.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Isn't that were most of your ideas come from? :tongue:

You wouldn't have half as impressive of a truck if you didn't drink! :biggrin:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Yep. I need to get in the garage and empty the fridge for more ideas...

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
wait and do it after the first of the year, I won't be able to afford your hand off parts until then. :biggrin:

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

wootown22

Dec 4, 2011
Love your truck;

how much was your mileage affected when you took off/put the roof rack back on? debating on whether or not its worth it to get one.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
wootown22 said:
Love your truck;

how much was your mileage affected when you took off/put the roof rack back on? debating on whether or not its worth it to get one.

When I fill up this weekend I will have good numbers to answer that but I feel its about 1 to 1.5 mpg loaded.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
fadyasha said:
That's one hell of a monster you got! Amazing job!

Thanks for the kind words.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
17x8 eagle alloy that came w tires. Not sure of actual model.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
17x8 eagle alloy that came w tires. Not sure of actual model.

Thanks, One last ques and sorry for being a pain :blush:, are they with our bolt pattern 6/127 , 6x5? or did u use adaptors? Thanks again :lipsrsealed:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
When I fill up this weekend I will have good numbers to answer that but I frieel its about 1 to 1.5 mpg loaded.
It was about 1 mpg

fadyasha said:
Thanks, One last ques and sorry for being a pain :blush:, are they with our bolt pattern 6/127 , 6x5? or did u use adaptors? Thanks again :lipsrsealed:

They were 6x5.5 with adaptors. I have ran adaptors since I started modding the truck.

Ask any ?s you want. I try to help

bigredtank

Nov 21, 2011
man that winch... mmmmm .... i love it! if i ever decide to go UP in my truck. i want to do a big lift like yours. as for now. low and slow 4x4 lol

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
My MDB Fabrication bumper on my Trailblazer. Luckily he is nearby and I can help build bumpers and thus be the tester for some different aspects of the builds.

Here is the bumper to fit with my 3 inch body lift. Receiver mount and shackle mounts. The shackle mounts are solid bar stack 6 inches long and fully welded. The Receiver mount is a production piece mounted to a solid plate spanning the frame, then additionally welded to angled plates to a lower plate spanning the bottom of the frame. Plates also have some additonal T-pieces welded on to avoid the plates twisting when a winch is used in the front hitch mount.

bump1.jpg

bump4.jpg

You can see here how we kept everything as tight as possible for approach angle.
bump6.jpg

Needed for stuff like this...previous bumper shown, but same base design
DSC_2628.jpg

Decided I wanted some lights up front and little bit of depth to the bumper so he bent and welded up this tube for me
2011-07-24_15-30-24_247.jpg

Here it is with the lights added
100MEDIA36IMAG0150.jpg

Here it is with the lights and winch on a hand fabbed winch mount by MDB
5winch.jpg

sunset.jpg

Here it is with the PIAA's and the winch on an adventure in GWNF
IMAG0724.jpg

DSC01460.jpg

37.jpg

Got done with another bumper tacked up and decided to add some headlight protection and overall stability to the bumper. Plus play with the tube bender some...
bumper-1.jpg

Here is the final product back from powdercoat...Notice how you can still see all lights with the tube placement
b10.jpg

b11.jpg

b13.jpg

b7.jpg

b4.jpg

Now I have the winch torn apart to swap to synthetic line and debating on putting the PIAA lights back on or trying the 150 watt KC Daylighters I picked up.

Reactions: CaptainKD

asautt

Dec 5, 2011
I finally got around to checking out your ride. What a fantastic job you have done with it!! Very impressive. Must also compliment you on your photography. Outstanding pictures throughout.

Well done, Sir.

Alan

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Couple cool shot from the Badlands this weekend. Did break a tie rod in a nasty spot, but members here worked together and we got it out and fixed. Thanks again guys.

bl20.jpg

bl19.jpg

bl21.jpg

bl11.jpg

bl3.jpg

badlands.jpg

Reactions: triz and CaptainKD
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Couple cool shot from the Badlands this weekend. Did break a tie rod in a nasty spot, but members here worked together and we got it out and fixed. Thanks again guys.

bl20.jpg

bl19.jpg

bl21.jpg

bl11.jpg

bl3.jpg

badlands.jpg

Hardtrailz you are either crazy or insane, or a bit of both. :thumbsup: LOL But your pics do look like a bunch of FUN. Keep up the pics and reporting for us that don't do this.

Sad to say the Denali is Mall Rated.:smile::smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
As of now I have some parts to hopefully get some upgrades done this month.

New 315-70-17 Treadwright Guard Dogs
New 17x9 Pro Comp 6032 wheels
New Lug Nuts and Locks
30,000 mile 4.10 geared front diff from SS
20,000 mile 4.10 geared 14 bolt from SS
Used Open carrier for 14 bolt w new timken bearings and shim kit
New LockRight for 14 bolt
New CV shaft to replace one w torn boot
3/4 ton tie rods ends w full replacement set for spares
New 150 Watt KC Daylighters
New 4x6 yellow fog lights for camp lights
New decals from HighVoltage and various companies
Used Viking 7/16th Synthetic winchline with thimble and hook
New locking hitch pins to keep stuff from running off

Got some other plans as well, but this should help strengthen and improve the rig.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
I recognise the rock wall in the quarry at the Badlands. Were the pictures of the steep decline from the Green Trail..??

You have serious evoltionary build on your hands here....one advantage of my TJ is having a market saturated with tried and tested accessories.

Keep up the good work....might even see you at the Badlands someday....:smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
Kyle, are you not going to lock the front since you have it out?

No. Fishsticks said he had issues with the cv's coming apart when turning full lock and as tight as the stuff I do around here, it is not worth the risk of losing a cv. I had planned on it, but just can't justify losing full turning.

davenay67 said:
I recognise the rock wall in the quarry at the Badlands. Were the pictures of the steep decline from the Green Trail..??

You have serious evoltionary build on your hands here....one advantage of my TJ is having a market saturated with tried and tested accessories.

Keep up the good work....might even see you at the Badlands someday....:smile:

Iis actually if you swing around past the concrete hill by the front gate. Follow the fence along main drive for just a bit and then its a hard left and dumps you down to the area at bottom of concrete/asphalt hill. Was looking for a way around since I did not feel like doing the concrete hill again and found that.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
10-4 on the front locker.
I was thinking I'd like to one day lock the front, a way future likely never happen mod.
Where I go though more sand and mud and not so much tight trails I would likely be ok.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online