What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Finally was able to take it off the jack stands and drive it again. Last Saturday I started what was supposed to be 4 new brakes and new rear shocks. I immediately ran into problems when the passenger rear rotor was full of gunk from a leaking rear axle seal. Decided I might as well do rear bearings while I have it ripped apart. Of course the rear diff bolts were way too rusted, so the next day I went and picked up 10 new bolts and had a shop brake them free and replace them. Got it home and opened up and of course on the first shot with the slide hammer pulling the bearings, the rented bearing puller snapped and shot shrapnel down the axle tube. So I got to fish that all out. Finally working a short time each evening after work, I got the new bearings in, new axle seals, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Raybestos advanced rotors, Raybestos Ceramic pads, got out the Motive power bleeder and flushed the brake fluid, and even picked up a can of Rust reformer and Satin black and painted as much of everything underneath as I could get to. Little extra kick in the pants, got it all done, battery died. Finally left the garage under its own power this afternoon. $700 later, Runs and rides great.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Ordered an upper radiator support cover. Had no idea they existed and not sure if it was only certain years or certain models.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Was out for a drive today.

Have to fix the broken door handle trim piece. It fell off when my father was driving the car. Have a replacement, just need to put it. Also a few of the door panel clips broke waayy before when I installed the side view mirrors, so might as well fix the whole panel up so I bought some clips as well.

WP_20170913_12_28_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20170913_12_35_46_Pro-640x480.jpg

Also got a cigarette lighter extension so I can hide the car inverter under the passenger seat as well

WP_20170913_12_29_07_Pro.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Have been dealing with a squealing issue over the past week, whenever I'm over 1K RPMs. Swapped out the idler pulley, and there was quite an improvement, although when I went for a quick spin around the block, the noise isn't completely gone.

IMG_20170912_182908.jpg

Should have also gotten a belt, considering as far as I know, it's never been changed the entire time I've owned the truck :duh: So that's been ordered and I'll swap that out when it gets here. If that doesn't do the trick, then I'll move on to the tensioner.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Alright so for the last couple days after the wreck I have been contemplating just getting rid of it but I think I'm going to actually get it fixed with income tax and finish the build finally, instead of half assing it!

Attachments

• IMG_2770.JPG
    IMG_2770.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 11

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Swapped out the old belt with a brand new one. Didn't go for a drive, but revved the engine up to 2K RPM in the garage. Zero squealing this time :biggrin:

We'll know for sure when I go for a drive in the morning

Reactions: Matt

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Bumper and fender still doesn't look pretty but I don't care, got it so the door will open and that's all I wanted, cancelling the fender I ordered and going with how it is! Now to deal with the ABS issue :Banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2780.JPG
    IMG_2780.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 13

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Got my Buick Rainier gauge cluster today so quickly swapped the bezel off my non DIC cluster I had laying around and installed it. I like it much better than the boring black faces. I'm still boggled as to how the vehicle it came from only had 43k mls on it. Im tracking the true mileage including pics so whenever I do sell it the buyer knows the true mileage. Due the year I gained the instant fuel economy feature in the DIC. I thought that was controlled by the BCM and removed from later years like my '05. The DIC cluster I had in did not have this feature in it. Also need to swap out the new grille for the damaged one after work.IMG_20170920_130242065.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Got this picture this morning.
ec7TLUtT-409795203.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Power steering line replaced. Motor mounts replaced. Splined disconnect out.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Spent $5 and gave it a wash at the new coin-op place cause I couldn't be bothered doing it in my driveway.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
The whine from the front drivers side engine compartment that I have been trying to pin point got louder. Put my long ass screw driver near the idler pulley and heard all kinds of racket when I put my ear to the handle. Replaced the idler pulley for $20 and no more whine.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Yesterday the cv with the ripped boot finally got replaced and realized it had compromised the disco seal so I tossed in the spare disco off an SS I had picked up along with a spare diff n cvs. Used one of the SS stock takeoff CV and noticed the upper ball joint was trash so I slapped one of those spares in. The passenger side is nicely tightened up but I got something a bit off on the DR side I think still, but the truck likes me again.

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Started on the long journey of redoing my audio system. Currently I have a Alpine mini amp hooked up in the front and a JL Audio 500/1 in the back getting power from the rear fuse box. So I'm now running 0 gauge direct from the battery to a distro block and then 4 gauge to the 500/1 and the 300/4 I'm finally putting in. Also replacing the bass knob cable and RCA cables. I had already done the big 3 months ago. My rad support cover is coming in today so I'll pick that up and try to clean your the engine a bit....AGAIN!IMG_20170928_070451218_HDR.jpg IMG_20170928_070459140.jpg

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Well, I made it just over a month without any issues, but yesterday my cluster lit up like a Christmas tree out of the blue with a B0103 and P0452 (two lights qualifies as "Christmas tree" status, right?).
Front Collision Sensor 2 Fault and EVAP Pressure Sensor Signal Low/Short.

Tonight I guess I'll be hitting the manuals and rolling around on the ground with a voltmeter and cleaning supplies.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Got some more work done on rewiring my audio system and adding my JL Audio 4 channel amp to replace my Alpine mini amp. It kinda bugs me that both amps aren't identical design but that's cause one is a v1 and the other a v2. I sold the matching 500/1 v1 without realizing that fact.
IMG_20170929_071058670.jpg IMG_20170929_071035869.jpg IMG_20170929_062621823.jpg IMG_20170929_062055151.jpg IMG_20170929_062034955.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Did you seriously run that wiring through the firewall? You could have used the connectors under the rear seat.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
@djthumper yup I sure did. I wanted to run power straight from the battery and I try to avoid running wires outside of the vehicle. Just a personal preference for me given the environment and weather my trucks are subject to.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You could have picked power up directly from the posts to the fuse block under the seat without feeding it through the firewall. Unless you are doing a compitition system.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
That's how I have my current amp hooked up but that defeats the purpose of the big three and 0 gauge. Plus I don't feel comfortable pulling power for two amps from there.

Last edited:

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Engine oil and tranny fluid exchange,.. I did the pan drop filter/fluid exchange as per directions on this site. Could not believe the condition of the old fluid, obviously was never changed before at 142k miles. Cleaned everything up, reassembled, and the fluid started running clean at 12 qts.clean pan.jpg

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Pulled off my SS repos since the weather has been nasty and they're beginning to get stained. If I knew these rims where no clear coated I would have went with chrome. I love the look of polished aluminum but it's high maintenance with the shit I put them through. Also still fighting with a ground loop in my 4channel amp, buuuuuut I might be upgrading to a ported enclosure with 2 SA8s.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Pulled off my SS repos since the weather has been nasty and they're beginning to get stained. If I knew these rims where no clear coated I would have went with chrome. I love the look of polished aluminum but it's high maintenance with the shit I put them through. Also still fighting with a ground loop in my 4channel amp, buuuuuut I might be upgrading to a ported enclosure with 2 SA8s.

Can you clear coat the rims and have them still look the same? Maybe a satin clear instead of gloss?

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Can you clear coat the rims and have them still look the same? Maybe a satin clear instead of gloss?
I had spoken to my painter and it is possible to clear coat them. It will just kill some of the shine. Eventually I think that is what I will do as I really don't have time nor patience to be polishing them every 3 months. And that's cause I have sealed them and wax them for additional protection. No match for dog pee and nasty flood Waters and road grime.

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Because aluminum is very porous and actually breaths,...it very hard to get anything to adhere for long,.. I went through this for many yrs on my f/s gm's,.. I tried Zinc Chromate which is supposed to prep aluminum for paint,.. didn't work for long,... there's a process using alodining,.. but I don't know enough about it to suggest. Powder coating seems to win hands down on aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online