Nov 18, 2011
back in the cube

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Evening shift

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Not at work. Got 4+ inches dumped on us in a very short period earlier this morning. 4 inches isn't a huge deal, except it means over an hour of driving with idiots. I've driven through worse before to get to work, but now with a longer commute with a lot more traffic, well... screw it.

What's fun is there is a level 2 snow emergency due to road conditions, they've had to close chunks of the highways due to that (and bad accidents), yet my wife's work (at OSU) stresses they are STILL OPEN (all caps are theirs). She couldn't even take any of her normal routes or standard alternatives due to closed roads. Good job OSU.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I stole our new beater truck for our rentals to do the 2 hours of commuting in the snow this morning cause I would rather take off Friday and when no one is here at work...I can get more done.

The beater chariot is a 97 f150 4x4 w a newer 5.4L Had a car turn sideways on the interstate as it tried to pass me this morning making me glad I was not driving anything I care about.
IMG_6578.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@ work trying to pass the time. Checked my bank account to balance my budget, noticed I got my tax refund last week! :eek:

Got to admire that for a few minutes, before diverting those funds to all of my credit cards. I have about $50 of that left now. :hahano: guess I can enjoy this feeling for another month or so until I splurge on that riding mower in the spring :biggrin:

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Wish I could get my taxes done. Waiting on a 1099 the mail is supposed to deliver but was sent to the old address, so who knows how long that will take...

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Dreaming of my flight to Florida on Sunday.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@ work for another evening. This is getting old :sleepy:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Work then bowling league

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Class got canceled so I'm just studying. My roommates classes all got canceled because of the Philly parade. At least my guy had an actual reason.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Getting thing completed to start packing for a big Scouting event this weekend.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just finished replacing the starter in my snowmobile (2nd replacement) as well as the solenoid. Also modded it by adding two more LED's to show if the starter stays energized or if it's spinning and producing electricity. Just used gorilla tape to hold them there. The other small one I put next to the ignition switch, which I can't see while riding.

IMG_20180208_150145_resized889371883.jpg

Heading out now to ride. Wish me luck that this starter lasts.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The skies went from sunny to very overcast during the commute home, so I took advantage of the shade to dismantle that roof frame from the weekend, now that my back is playing nice again. Always nice to take out the frustrations of work, with a hammer. :biggrin:

Also got to put the impact to work with a bunch of wood screws that are in great condition, so I'm keeping those too. Still a good number of nails, that I'll need to address before re-purposing the lumber, but that will be for another day.

IMG_20180208_172110.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Getting ready to travel down to Lafayette, IN on Saturday - and since my entire route is getting dumped on w/ major snow through Sunday, not to mention Indiana's laissez faire attitude toward snow / ice removal - I'm taking the Voy - and a shovel, just in case :frown:

Checked the oil level & filled her up w/ gas this afternoon, since the price dropped (it usually goes up on Thursdays, on average). Now just waiting for the first flakes to start falling in an hour or two. The NWS and news outlets are warning that travel will be "impossible" during morning rush tomorrow (their actual words, and I've definitely seen / driven in worse snowstorms than this is predicted to be.) SMH.

Meanwhile, I laugh and activate 4WD. Wheeee! :wooot:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In the cube farm

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mini project.20180210_130744.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Finished up my mini project. Came out okay.
20180211_141434.jpg
20180211_132709.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Went for a ride today, started out good, then the freezing rain came. Cut it short and headed home. Constantly having to scrape the visor is no fun. :frown:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Drove back home from w. central Indiana this afternoon. Got the truck a bit sideways when turning onto the local (IL) road from the tollway, due to unplowed / crappily plowed road. I had needed to get into the LH turn lane within 1000ft, but was on the RH side, so I was driving a little faster than the other traffic that was turning so I could change lanes quickly.

Once everyone behind me saw me get sideways (I recovered just fine, without stopping), they stayed well back. Wheeee! :wooot:

Checked the oil level again when I was nearly home and had parked the truck in the tollway oasis for a bit. Still 100% full - no visible consumption. Now that I've got over 500mi on the truck (actually about 700) since putting the dye in the crankcase, I can check for evidence of leakage. Thinking I'm not going to find any, though, just yet.

Really enjoyed the drive (e.g.; the vehicle) on the longer trip there and back. Although the only two spots I really needed 4WD active were when I got the truck sideways, as mentioned above, and coming out of my driveway when I started the trip (thanks, mr. snowplow driver! LOL)

Looks like I got about 16mpg for the whole trip, and I wasn't driving w/ mileage in mind. I did get within 15mi of home before having to stop for gas, so that was nice (having the bigger sized tank certainly helps).

Truck is absolutely covered in salt spray; gonna have to get it washed soon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Living the dream...

smt 59

After 3 snow and freezing rain events back to back over I finally had a somewhat normal day at work, now to catch up on that thing they say is overrated (sleep), later on of course but for now relaxing with a drink and dinner after. Just in case no one figured it out , I’m in the snow removal business. Pancake Tuesday today so guess what dinner is. Lol 😂

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Still doing odds and ends at my brothers shop.20180213_191729.jpg
We got racks!!!
While all the shop work is going on powder coating is still in full swing.20180213_192524.jpg
Not sure the specifics but it from an older ls engine.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Trying to be all I can be. Not easy when I have to get up at 3:30AM. Thankfully it's the last one this week.

Reactions: smt 59

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Going to the beach this morning, then off to see my family jeweler (he has a store down here) to finally get my Dad's opal ring resized.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Enjoying the final day of week 2 as an unemployed bum in a new city.

This week has been promising as I got a phone interview with Remington which went well. I'm not too excited about a job on a sinking ship, but an entry-level job is an entry-level job. You can't be picky when almost nobody is hiring graduates. Plus, think about those employee discounts on ammo...

But I'm holding out for a Network Services role through the Recent Graduates Program with the Army Cyber Command which finishes accepting applications next week. Hell will probably freeze over before I get that gig just due to a presumably huge number of applicants, but it can't hurt to dream. My only hope is that because it took me 45 minutes to complete the application most grads are either too stupid to follow instructions or too lazy to finish it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Enjoying the final day of week 2 as an unemployed bum in a new city.

This week has been promising as I got a phone interview with Remington which went well. I'm not too excited about a job on a sinking ship, but an entry-level job is an entry-level job. You can't be picky when almost nobody is hiring graduates. Plus, think about those employee discounts on ammo...

But I'm holding out for a Network Services role through the Recent Graduates Program with the Army Cyber Command which finishes accepting applications next week. Hell will probably freeze over before I get that gig just due to a presumably huge number of applicants, but it can't hurt to dream. My only hope is that because it took me 45 minutes to complete the application most grads are either too stupid to follow instructions or too lazy to finish it.
What is your degree in?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Wishing I was at the beach today, weather is perfect for it, but instead spending an exciting day in the office. :uhno:

We had a new teammate join us yesterday, so I got her system access setup. Other than that it's been all busy work, and trying not to nod off.

Reactions: xavierny25

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
What is your degree in?
I just earned my B.S. in Information Systems in December and I got Cisco certified (CCENT) last month.
Networking is my focus and I'd like to become a Network Engineer after I finish my obligatory time in Help Desk.

Having just moved to Huntsville, AL where IT is booming, I haven't had any trouble building my professional network. 1 out of every 3 people I've met so far works or has worked in IT. That's encouraging, but the whole "how do you get experience if nobody will hire you without experience" thing is really a bummer.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I just earned my B.S. in Information Systems in December and I got Cisco certified (CCENT) last month.
Networking is my focus and I'd like to become a Network Engineer after I finish my obligatory time in Help Desk.

Having just moved to Huntsville, AL where IT is booming, I haven't had any trouble building my professional network. 1 out of every 3 people I've met so far works or has worked in IT. That's encouraging, but the whole "how do you get experience if nobody will hire you without experience" thing is really a bummer.
It isn't easy getting into the field. If you do things right sitting at the helpdesk will be minimal if even at all. It took me a while to get back into the field after leaving the air force. Now I do sysytem support analyst and some cyber security stuff.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
It isn't easy getting into the field. If you do things right sitting at the helpdesk will be minimal if even at all. It took me a while to get back into the field after leaving the air force. Now I do sysytem support analyst and some cyber security stuff.
You can say that again. I applied like mad to IT internships all through college, and despite being a dean's list student, I couldn't even get an email back telling me I was rejected. I ended up having to work as a Mechanical Engineer Intern to pay the bills. That's hard to explain in interviews; no, I didn't change majors, I just couldn't get an internship in my field of study so I had to take what I could get.

As I always say, "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

I just don't know the right people yet.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can say that again. I applied like mad to IT internships all through college, and despite being a dean's list student, I couldn't even get an email back telling me I was rejected. I ended up having to work as a Mechanical Engineer Intern to pay the bills. That's hard to explain in interviews; no, I didn't change majors, I just couldn't get an internship in my field of study so I had to take what I could get.

As I always say, "it's not what you know, it's who you know".

I just don't know the right people yet.
I have been doing computers for 37+ years now. It was an additional duty when I was in the air force. When I got out most told me I was out of the field too long. Once I got my foot in the door I was doing pretty good. Where I work now I had a supervisor that had a masters in IT and I could talk circles around him on getting tasks done. He told me that it would be a waste for me to go back and get my degree since I have the experience that most of his professors didn't have. Now I am one of the only people that holds my position without a degree. I have been there longer than most on my team.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Going out for brekkie this morning, then hitting the farmers market. Taking my MIL to Verizon for a new phone and then hitting the driving range in preparation for 36 holes tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online