Tool Talk

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What about a ratchet wrench? Would work the same as the pass through ratchet.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yes... The Important Features it should have in common would be:

(1) A 12 Point Contact Area Design.
(2) A VERY High Click Rate Sensitivity (2-3 Degrees).
(3) A Flex-Head Design to accommodate Moving in Tight Quarters.
(5) A Thin, Extra Long Shank Length for Added Leverage.

northcreek

Guru
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This is an inexpensive little kit to allow you to adjust the carburetors on your two stroke equipment, most of the new stuff has no-tamper screws to foil your attempts at this.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Owing to viewing @Reprise 's Post#715 and some of @Mounce 's earlier Posts showing those Huge Stacked Roll-A-Round Tool Chests, their efforts came to mind at around 20 Minutes into Viewing THIS Andrew Camarata Video where he literally dragged "Two Blue Shipping Container Sheds" to the very peak of his recently acquired Catskill Mountain-Top Property... Just DIG Those Gorgeous Views up there!!!

He soon after managed to set up one of them as a Primary Work and Tool Shed. We get to see Andrew and his Buddy putting together the BIG HF "U.S. General" Red Tool Chests and then populate them to a Fair-Thee-Well with his extensive Tools, building Parts Racks and filling them with ample supplies of Fasteners.

Later on he and his friend opine about the surprising High Quality of the HF Tool Chests vs. the EXPENSIVE (but also High Quality) Snap-On versions. Andrew's follow-on Caterpillar D-4 Bulldozer, Bobcat Skid-Lift and 4-Wheeler Maintenance Repairs shows just how handy having all of this gear(and Good Lighting) becomes when he is so remote from the "Camarata Container Castle Garage".

Some Way Cool Tool Talk Stuff!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you've ever wondered...

"Why do FLUKE Digital Multi-Meters Cost SO Much MORE than your Average DMMs?'

...THIS Video will be very enlightening AND Interesting for most of us "Tool Aficionados"...

...and "Back By Popular DEMAND"... for a requested Tear Down and Comparison of the Best Quality Competing DMM vs... The Fluke Meter:

Well... That WAS Interesting to learn about... But as a Practical Matter... THESE Two Videos (and the purchase I made of the Klein "Made In The USA" MM700 Multi-Meter that followed on) are More Important for quite a few reasons:

71-CLiv1sbL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

(1) You can set the Klein Model MM700 DMM "Back-Light" to STAY ON FOR THREE (3) MINUTES!

(2) The Klein Model MM700 DMM is RUGGED and partially satisfies my not-as-yet-fulfilled 'Yen' for Buying "Orange & Black" Tools.

(3) The Supporting Videos are all based upon actual Field Work and quite a few excellent Side By Side Comparisons vs. The Pro Grade Flukes and Amazon Brands for Professional DMMs.

The Field Observations for its Use:

The Bench Top Observations during Tests and Comparisons:

DAMMIT! It Makes Me MAD that 30 Minutes after I bought This Item... Amazon dropped the Price by 6% to $94.06...

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you need to wrangle with One or More Engine Heads "On The Bench" for either Gasket Clean Up, Valve Train Dis-Assembly, Porting & Polishing and Re-Assembly... supporting the Combustion Chamber Side above the Bench from making contact with and Accidentally Bending Valves and Stems becomes an important problem to avoid.

There are quite a few After Market versions of these "Pike" Head Stands around, but the ones from MOROSO Part# 62080 available for under $60.00 a Pair on Amazon have a lot of advantages of being able to take them apart for EZ Storage when not needed & a Wide Foot Print. Constructed of Heavy Gauge Black Steel, too:

MOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND1.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND2.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND3.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND4.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND6.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND7.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND10.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just got this from Amazon. Brake caliper compressor tool with hooks. Whenever I did brakes, I was always struggling using my old single piston tool on dual piston calipers. And with the Brembos now on the Caprice, it will be easy. As soon as I saw Rainman Ray on YT use this tool, I knew I had to have it. Hooks were a bonus.

Cool thing I noticed is that the large plates are held in place with magnets so you can go to smaller plates if needed. Cool!

PXL_20220326_141540413_resized8543079757484529709.jpgPXL_20220326_141556582_resized2178976593972376376.jpg

Jul 6, 2014
Finally used my tubing flare. Felt like a cheat code. I told my old one with the split bar and dies, "you're done."
20220326_154130.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Jul 6, 2014
  • Love
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THAT is One Awesome Tool Kit... Thanks... And by the way... I've just nick-named your Vise... "The Blue Chew" :>)

Reactions: littleblazer
Jul 6, 2014
THAT is One Awesome Tool Kit... Thanks... And by the way... I've just nick-named your Vise... "The Blue Chew" :>)
I actually got it at a steel warehouse near me. I forget if it's the 6 or 8 though. That was a while ago. But it's solid. I believe it's a eastwood/Wilton one. It may be cast steel instead of iron as well. I forget and the site doesn't say.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Master Blaster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
After watching this video by Eric O.

I went and bought this one on Amazon.ca:

Was cheaper than the one in the video on Amazon US and same brand. And with the $15 coupon, all in, came to $96CAD. Should arrive tomorrow.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Dunno why it took almost a month to arrive via Amazon... but having more than one "Red Canvas Folding Zipper-Top Milwaukee Tool(s) Bag" seems like a Good Idea... Compared with the usual Black Tool Bags... the "Red Glow" popping inside there really does make it EZR to FIND Things, even in ambient, unassisted lighting:

milwaukeetoolbag1.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag2.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag3.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag4.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag5.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag6.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag7.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag8.jpg

Jul 6, 2014
This may be too nice to use...
20220415_052608.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Finding an Affordable “Stand Alone” Thermal Imaging Camera with enough features to make it a worthwhile tool for General Automotive and Home System Trouble Shooting Diagnostics for under $500.00 over the past few years has been a PITA.

I have the FLIR-ONE Gen 3 Micro-USB Plug-In Camera for my Smart Phone that I Like VERY Much… But I would STILL like having a Decent IR Camera that is 'An All In One Unit' with LONG Battery Life and NOT have to Go Broke to get one.

I also wanted something that I can just "Jam in my Pocket" and NOT have to "Baby" or "Worry" about Damaging it via a Snapped Off Micro-USB Connector or by accidentally activating other features on my Android Phone.

Well… Lah-Dee-Dah... Take a Look at THIS:

The Klein Tool's TI250 Re-Chargeable IR Cam available for only $288.29 via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089QW8R9S/?tag=gmtnation-20

If you are Chasing ANYTHING that will leave a Thermal Signature when it starts to go sideways and either gets TOO HOT or remains TOO COLD … THIS is “The Thing” that can save you HOURS of Diagnostic time on everything from locating Clogs inside of Drain Pipes to finding Misfires from Bad COil On Plugs by viewing the Exhaust Manifold for the presence of Cold Ports, or even ID Failing A/C Systems Components or Vehicles getting Dead Batteries Overnight from Weird Parasitic Drains.

Having a Tool like THIS one is worth considering and by way of another example, think of how often @xavierny25 and his Brother would use this Thing almost daily doing their Powder Coating Prep & Inspections and Plumbing or A/C Repairs.

And for MOST of us who are often steeped in Auto Mechanical Repairs, being able to Quickly Hunt down the following:

(1) Shorted or Corroded Copper Wire produces HEAT from the “Positive Thermal Co-Efficient” (PTC) phenomena from Increased RESISTANCE.

(2) Automotive Modules that FAIL to “Go To Sleep”.

(3) Clogged A/C Condensers.

(4) Clogged Transmission Coolers.

(5) Clogged Radiators and Heater Pipes.

(6) Determine PRECISELY when an Engine Thermostat OPENS (or FAILS to do so)

(7) Locating Nocturnal Animal Nuisances over short distances in the Yard-Attic.

(8) Observe, Compare and Pin-Point Overheated Brakes or Diff-Axle Bearings.

By being able to actually SEE the Subtle HEAT Signatures often present, but Invisible to Humans as Thermal Clues they create, we can pinpoint such locations FAST. Thus, we can improve our ability to perform Targeted Repairs. Here is a Damned Good "Tough Field Use" Review of this 10,000 Pixel Klein IR Camera:

THIS Review goes into even finer details and examples of the Features & Utility of this IR Camera:

I've got one of these "Things" on its way here ... Now... :>)

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
And following on after Next Day Shipping from Amazon with the Un-Boxing of the Klein Model TI250 Thermal Imager and IR Camera:

KLEINTHERMAL1.jpgKLEINTHERMAL2.jpgKLEINTHERMAL3.jpgKLEINTHERMAL4.jpgKLEINTHERMAL10.jpgKLEINTHERMAL5.jpgKLEINTHERMAL6.jpgKLEINTHERMAL7.jpgKLEINTHERMAL8.jpgKLEINTHERMAL9.jpg

... and then taking a Test Image after Formatting (FAT32) and installing a 128 GB Micro-SD Card into this unit...

SANDISK128GB.jpg

.... The Test Image shows my Dell Precision M6800 Keyboard in a room lit with ambient low light. The Hottest portions of this image shows just how much HEAT the Dell Solid Copper Cooler Radiator and adjacent Copper Piping from the Large Work Station Video Card is VERY effectively collecting and discharging that HEAT ...right out the Back Plane of my Laptop Computer:

DELLPRECISIONM6800.jpg

The Klein Model TI250 Thermal Imager and IR Camera:

No Muss... No Fuss... IT JUST WORKS!

For some Additional Automotive Applications of THIS or any ANY other IR Type of Device or Camera for that matter... Snap-On has a Pod-Cast demonstrating quite a few ways to USE these kinds of Tools that you might not think about as the VERY FIRST thing to reach for inside your Tool Bag or Tool Chest:

...and MANY More Here:

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tskelton205

Members Online

Members Online

Members Online