Tool Talk

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What about a ratchet wrench? Would work the same as the pass through ratchet.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Yes... The Important Features it should have in common would be:

(1) A 12 Point Contact Area Design.
(2) A VERY High Click Rate Sensitivity (2-3 Degrees).
(3) A Flex-Head Design to accommodate Moving in Tight Quarters.
(5) A Thin, Extra Long Shank Length for Added Leverage.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This is an inexpensive little kit to allow you to adjust the carburetors on your two stroke equipment, most of the new stuff has no-tamper screws to foil your attempts at this.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Owing to viewing @Reprise 's Post#715 and some of @Mounce 's earlier Posts showing those Huge Stacked Roll-A-Round Tool Chests, their efforts came to mind at around 20 Minutes into Viewing THIS Andrew Camarata Video where he literally dragged "Two Blue Shipping Container Sheds" to the very peak of his recently acquired Catskill Mountain-Top Property... Just DIG Those Gorgeous Views up there!!!

He soon after managed to set up one of them as a Primary Work and Tool Shed. We get to see Andrew and his Buddy putting together the BIG HF "U.S. General" Red Tool Chests and then populate them to a Fair-Thee-Well with his extensive Tools, building Parts Racks and filling them with ample supplies of Fasteners.

Later on he and his friend opine about the surprising High Quality of the HF Tool Chests vs. the EXPENSIVE (but also High Quality) Snap-On versions. Andrew's follow-on Caterpillar D-4 Bulldozer, Bobcat Skid-Lift and 4-Wheeler Maintenance Repairs shows just how handy having all of this gear(and Good Lighting) becomes when he is so remote from the "Camarata Container Castle Garage".

Some Way Cool Tool Talk Stuff!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you've ever wondered...

"Why do FLUKE Digital Multi-Meters Cost SO Much MORE than your Average DMMs?'

...THIS Video will be very enlightening AND Interesting for most of us "Tool Aficionados"...

...and "Back By Popular DEMAND"... for a requested Tear Down and Comparison of the Best Quality Competing DMM vs... The Fluke Meter:

Well... That WAS Interesting to learn about... But as a Practical Matter... THESE Two Videos (and the purchase I made of the Klein "Made In The USA" MM700 Multi-Meter that followed on) are More Important for quite a few reasons:

71-CLiv1sbL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

(1) You can set the Klein Model MM700 DMM "Back-Light" to STAY ON FOR THREE (3) MINUTES!

(2) The Klein Model MM700 DMM is RUGGED and partially satisfies my not-as-yet-fulfilled 'Yen' for Buying "Orange & Black" Tools.

(3) The Supporting Videos are all based upon actual Field Work and quite a few excellent Side By Side Comparisons vs. The Pro Grade Flukes and Amazon Brands for Professional DMMs.

The Field Observations for its Use:

The Bench Top Observations during Tests and Comparisons:

DAMMIT! It Makes Me MAD that 30 Minutes after I bought This Item... Amazon dropped the Price by 6% to $94.06...

This is a Pretty Cool Video showing the Klein Tools Model # MM700 DMM In Action on a 2009 Trailblazer (No Start issue) that presented the Pro Mech with a P1682 Code. He manages to definitively sort out the problem using THIS Tool after identifying an OL (Out of Limits) read causing an Open Circuit from a Broken Wire in the Engine Harness in between the PCM and the Under-Block of the Fuse Box. Watch How Straightaway Fixes THIS Issue via a "Jumper Wire":

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you need to wrangle with One or More Engine Heads "On The Bench" for either Gasket Clean Up, Valve Train Dis-Assembly, Porting & Polishing and Re-Assembly... supporting the Combustion Chamber Side above the Bench from making contact with and Accidentally Bending Valves and Stems becomes an important problem to avoid.

There are quite a few After Market versions of these "Pike" Head Stands around, but the ones from MOROSO Part# 62080 available for under $60.00 a Pair on Amazon have a lot of advantages of being able to take them apart for EZ Storage when not needed & a Wide Foot Print. Constructed of Heavy Gauge Black Steel, too:

MOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND1.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND2.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND3.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND4.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND6.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND7.jpgMOROSOENGINEHEADSTAND10.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just got this from Amazon. Brake caliper compressor tool with hooks. Whenever I did brakes, I was always struggling using my old single piston tool on dual piston calipers. And with the Brembos now on the Caprice, it will be easy. As soon as I saw Rainman Ray on YT use this tool, I knew I had to have it. Hooks were a bonus.

Cool thing I noticed is that the large plates are held in place with magnets so you can go to smaller plates if needed. Cool!

PXL_20220326_141540413_resized8543079757484529709.jpgPXL_20220326_141556582_resized2178976593972376376.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Finally used my tubing flare. Felt like a cheat code. I told my old one with the split bar and dies, "you're done."
20220326_154130.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
THAT is One Awesome Tool Kit... Thanks... And by the way... I've just nick-named your Vise... "The Blue Chew" :>)

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
THAT is One Awesome Tool Kit... Thanks... And by the way... I've just nick-named your Vise... "The Blue Chew" :>)
I actually got it at a steel warehouse near me. I forget if it's the 6 or 8 though. That was a while ago. But it's solid. I believe it's a eastwood/Wilton one. It may be cast steel instead of iron as well. I forget and the site doesn't say.

Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
After watching this video by Eric O.

I went and bought this one on Amazon.ca:

Was cheaper than the one in the video on Amazon US and same brand. And with the $15 coupon, all in, came to $96CAD. Should arrive tomorrow.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Dunno why it took almost a month to arrive via Amazon... but having more than one "Red Canvas Folding Zipper-Top Milwaukee Tool(s) Bag" seems like a Good Idea... Compared with the usual Black Tool Bags... the "Red Glow" popping inside there really does make it EZR to FIND Things, even in ambient, unassisted lighting:

milwaukeetoolbag1.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag2.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag3.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag4.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag5.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag6.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag7.jpgmilwaukeetoolbag8.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This may be too nice to use...
20220415_052608.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Finding an Affordable “Stand Alone” Thermal Imaging Camera with enough features to make it a worthwhile tool for General Automotive and Home System Trouble Shooting Diagnostics for under $500.00 over the past few years has been a PITA.

I have the FLIR-ONE Gen 3 Micro-USB Plug-In Camera for my Smart Phone that I Like VERY Much… But I would STILL like having a Decent IR Camera that is 'An All In One Unit' with LONG Battery Life and NOT have to Go Broke to get one.

I also wanted something that I can just "Jam in my Pocket" and NOT have to "Baby" or "Worry" about Damaging it via a Snapped Off Micro-USB Connector or by accidentally activating other features on my Android Phone.

Well… Lah-Dee-Dah... Take a Look at THIS:

The Klein Tool's TI250 Re-Chargeable IR Cam available for only $288.29 via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089QW8R9S/?tag=gmtnation-20

If you are Chasing ANYTHING that will leave a Thermal Signature when it starts to go sideways and either gets TOO HOT or remains TOO COLD … THIS is “The Thing” that can save you HOURS of Diagnostic time on everything from locating Clogs inside of Drain Pipes to finding Misfires from Bad COil On Plugs by viewing the Exhaust Manifold for the presence of Cold Ports, or even ID Failing A/C Systems Components or Vehicles getting Dead Batteries Overnight from Weird Parasitic Drains.

Having a Tool like THIS one is worth considering and by way of another example, think of how often @xavierny25 and his Brother would use this Thing almost daily doing their Powder Coating Prep & Inspections and Plumbing or A/C Repairs.

And for MOST of us who are often steeped in Auto Mechanical Repairs, being able to Quickly Hunt down the following:

(1) Shorted or Corroded Copper Wire produces HEAT from the “Positive Thermal Co-Efficient” (PTC) phenomena from Increased RESISTANCE.

(2) Automotive Modules that FAIL to “Go To Sleep”.

(3) Clogged A/C Condensers.

(4) Clogged Transmission Coolers.

(5) Clogged Radiators and Heater Pipes.

(6) Determine PRECISELY when an Engine Thermostat OPENS (or FAILS to do so)

(7) Locating Nocturnal Animal Nuisances over short distances in the Yard-Attic.

(8) Observe, Compare and Pin-Point Overheated Brakes or Diff-Axle Bearings.

By being able to actually SEE the Subtle HEAT Signatures often present, but Invisible to Humans as Thermal Clues they create, we can pinpoint such locations FAST. Thus, we can improve our ability to perform Targeted Repairs. Here is a Damned Good "Tough Field Use" Review of this 10,000 Pixel Klein IR Camera:

THIS Review goes into even finer details and examples of the Features & Utility of this IR Camera:

I've got one of these "Things" on its way here ... Now... :>)

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
And following on after Next Day Shipping from Amazon with the Un-Boxing of the Klein Model TI250 Thermal Imager and IR Camera:

KLEINTHERMAL1.jpgKLEINTHERMAL2.jpgKLEINTHERMAL3.jpgKLEINTHERMAL4.jpgKLEINTHERMAL10.jpgKLEINTHERMAL5.jpgKLEINTHERMAL6.jpgKLEINTHERMAL7.jpgKLEINTHERMAL8.jpgKLEINTHERMAL9.jpg

... and then taking a Test Image after Formatting (FAT32) and installing a 128 GB Micro-SD Card into this unit...

SANDISK128GB.jpg

.... The Test Image shows my Dell Precision M6800 Keyboard in a room lit with ambient low light. The Hottest portions of this image shows just how much HEAT the Dell Solid Copper Cooler Radiator and adjacent Copper Piping from the Large Work Station Video Card is VERY effectively collecting and discharging that HEAT ...right out the Back Plane of my Laptop Computer:

DELLPRECISIONM6800.jpg

The Klein Model TI250 Thermal Imager and IR Camera:

No Muss... No Fuss... IT JUST WORKS!

For some Additional Automotive Applications of THIS or any ANY other IR Type of Device or Camera for that matter... Snap-On has a Pod-Cast demonstrating quite a few ways to USE these kinds of Tools that you might not think about as the VERY FIRST thing to reach for inside your Tool Bag or Tool Chest:

...and MANY More Here:

Last edited:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Has anyone replaced the drawer slides on their roll out tool chests ? Mine are getting bad and if anyone has done it I could use your :twocents:

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Has anyone replaced the drawer slides on their roll out tool chests ? Mine are getting bad and if anyone has done it I could use your :twocents:
The slides on one of the drawers of a Clarke roll-away I have went bye-bye just yesterday, right when I needed the torque wrench out of the drawer beneath it! 😡
I plan to just replace the tool box.

Reactions: northcreek

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Hmmm... Some of THESE Optional Replacement Slides look very promising... @northcreek ... Don't forget to measure the "Box" Slide portion and the "Drawer" Slide portion independently to get the right dimensions for your particular Tool Chest. :>)

Reactions: northcreek

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
OMG! with all of those choices I'm sure to order the wrong ones...:duh:
I'm having the same issue myself with the husky drawer slides. Actually while my brother was moving it around in the shop it slightly tipped and bent up the tracks.I did come across a good video on how to get it done and all the contact info.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Lots of good info guys. One of the big drawers on my Husky box is a little sticky to close. It's got some of my heavier stuff in it, but not as heavy as the other one next to it. No idea what happened or why it needs more effort to close. One of these days I should pull the drawer and get some lithium grease in there if I don't see any bends in the tracks.

Glad to see a replacement isn't too difficult, and it would be a good excuse to buy more tools, since I don't own a rivet gun :biggrin:

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Maybe not the correct thread (@Mooseman??) but I wanted to share a recent purchase that really makes difference. After many, many years I had to replace the garage door openers and I was bummed to find out that the new openers were not compatible with Homelink in my '03 Suburban.

Turns out Chamberlain has a very nice solution: the OEM Homelink Compatibility Bridge. Plug into an outlet within 10ft of the opener, connect the bridge to the opener, and then connect the bridge to your existing Homelink and bingo, no more remote.

Liftmaster 855lm Chamberlain OEM Homelink Compatibility Bridge

Capture.JPG

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... The Sliding Drawer Racks work BEST only when the 'Shape' of the Tool Chest Housing ... AND ... The 'Shape' of the Drawers manage to remain as close to being perfectly "Square" as possible; having Uniform Right Angles in their Vertical AND Horizontal Planes, while nesting one within the other.

If either 'The Box' or 'The Drawers' are altered into a Rhomboid Shape... (think Parallelogram here) especially when the Drawers are in Motion... Then the Drawer Slides, which work better when synchronized in their motions, but CAN move independently from each other, can get *JAMMED* in between the two surfaces and Pop their Mounting Hardware or Rivets loose as the result.

The problem inherent here is that unlike having an Extra Diagonal Triangular Cross Brace to keep the Cabinet and Drawer Shapes RIGID and "under an equal amount of Tension and Compression.." Technically... without such a Support, they can BOTH collapse into a Flat, 2 Dimensional Shape, if pushed on Too Hard.

This same problem can also occur if the Drawers are Loaded with Too Much Weight... either in the Front, at the Back, or too Far to the Left or the Right and thus, invite this type of Warping-Jamming effect to occur as well.

The Key here is to Open and Close them from the CENTER of their Pull-Push Bars and NOT try to do that if their Locks are secured on the One Corner where the Release tabs are located. Speaking from personal experience... It does take a little Discipline to Remember to do the Release Motion BEFORE you start pulling on the Drawers.

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Finding an Affordable “Stand Alone” Thermal Imaging Camera with enough features to make it a worthwhile tool for General Automotive and Home System Trouble Shooting Diagnostics for under $500.00 over the past few years has been a PITA.

I have the FLIR-ONE Gen 3 Micro-USB Plug-In Camera for my Smart Phone that I Like VERY Much… But I would STILL like having a Decent IR Camera that is 'An All In One Unit' with LONG Battery Life and NOT have to Go Broke to get one.

I also wanted something that I can just "Jam in my Pocket" and NOT have to "Baby" or "Worry" about Damaging it via a Snapped Off Micro-USB Connector or by accidentally activating other features on my Android Phone.

Well… Lah-Dee-Dah... Take a Look at THIS:

The Klein Tool's TI250 Re-Chargeable IR Cam available for only $288.29 via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089QW8R9S/?tag=gmtnation-20

If you are Chasing ANYTHING that will leave a Thermal Signature when it starts to go sideways and either gets TOO HOT or remains TOO COLD … THIS is “The Thing” that can save you HOURS of Diagnostic time on everything from locating Clogs inside of Drain Pipes to finding Misfires from Bad COil On Plugs by viewing the Exhaust Manifold for the presence of Cold Ports, or even ID Failing A/C Systems Components or Vehicles getting Dead Batteries Overnight from Weird Parasitic Drains.

Having a Tool like THIS one is worth considering and by way of another example, think of how often @xavierny25 and his Brother would use this Thing almost daily doing their Powder Coating Prep & Inspections and Plumbing or A/C Repairs.

And for MOST of us who are often steeped in Auto Mechanical Repairs, being able to Quickly Hunt down the following:

(1) Shorted or Corroded Copper Wire produces HEAT from the “Positive Thermal Co-Efficient” (PTC) phenomena from Increased RESISTANCE.

(2) Automotive Modules that FAIL to “Go To Sleep”.

(3) Clogged A/C Condensers.

(4) Clogged Transmission Coolers.

(5) Clogged Radiators and Heater Pipes.

(6) Determine PRECISELY when an Engine Thermostat OPENS (or FAILS to do so)

(7) Locating Nocturnal Animal Nuisances over short distances in the Yard-Attic.

(8) Observe, Compare and Pin-Point Overheated Brakes or Diff-Axle Bearings.

By being able to actually SEE the Subtle HEAT Signatures often present, but Invisible to Humans as Thermal Clues they create, we can pinpoint such locations FAST. Thus, we can improve our ability to perform Targeted Repairs. Here is a Damned Good "Tough Field Use" Review of this 10,000 Pixel Klein IR Camera:

THIS Review goes into even finer details and examples of the Features & Utility of this IR Camera:

I've got one of these "Things" on its way here ... Now... :>)
I agree a thermal imager is a huge bonus to the toolbox. Easier to post the thread instead of the images again. I've been happy with the Flir i5, endless possibilities.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Owing to the “Microscopically Tiny, 'Ghost Ant' Sized Fasteners” I have to deal with whenever carefully delving into the Guts, Parts & Pieces of my various TAG Heuer Watches… I finally decided to make things easier and Drop $40.00 on a WIFI (via a Cell Phone APP) AND USB Capable 50X-1000X Microscope for better viewing of these things, “VERY MUCH MORE UP CLOSE ...and Personal”.

Remember that if you have to replace (or even just SEE the Silk-Screened Ceramic Alpha-Numeric IDs) on any SMCs (Surface Mounted Components) such as Very Small Resistors and Capacitors to fix your Computers, Cell-Phone or other Logic Boards (...think GM IPCs here...) then having a GOOD Soldering and Heat Gun Work Station along with THIS kind of Rig can come in very handy:

The Jusion WIFI & USB 50X – 1000X Microscope

... is available for $40.00 over on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081F64YLB/?tag=gmtnation-20

The Item being scrutinized on my RCA Cambio II 32 Bit Windows 10 Tablet Screen that is under the lens of this Cool Jusion Microscope is a Special, Double Sided Screw Cap Container meant to house all of the Tiny Watch Parts & ‘Ghost Ant’ Sized Fasteners in need of R&R and Ultra-Sonic Cleaning ...from time to time.

This is a perfect example of some things that are * so very small * that they can very easily Disappear before your eyes, unless quickly wrangled and dropped inside of this Minuscule, Knurled Brass and Stainless Steel Screened Screw Top Container before being "Boiled in an Ultra-Sonic Bath":

JUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE1.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE2.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE3.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE4.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE6.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE7.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE8.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE9.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE10.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE15.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE12.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE13.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE14.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE16.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE17.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE18.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE19.jpgJUSIONF210USBMICROSCOPE20.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I Ordered and Received the Two Lighted Probes shown below… JUST so I can have BOTH available as Quality Circuit Test Lights in my Tool Chest-Bags and to Research and Document the Implications of their Use:

TESTLIGHT1.jpg

A Comparative Test Probe Basics Primer:

Craftsman Model #CMMT14103: $17.00 @ Amazon

Incandescent Style:

TESTLIGHT7.jpgTESTLIGHT2.jpgTESTLIGHT3.jpgTESTLIGHT4.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R82QHTT/?tag=gmtnation-20

Innova Model #3410A: $13.50 @ Amazon

Digital LED Style:

TESTLIGHT8.jpgTESTLIGHT9.jpg

TESTLIGHT5.jpg
TESTLIGHT6.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014DINF6/?tag=gmtnation-20

Wanna Know MORE about How to Diagnose a GM Fuel Pump Relay Circuit and WHY using an Incandescent Test Light would be the necessary Choice of Lighted Probe Tools to use under certain conditions? Check out THIS entire Video from Paul “Scanner” Danner ...But focus in at around 24 Minutes of the Viewing for this specific issue.

Can a Test Light Destroy Your PCM?

But NOW... Compare the TWO LED Light Circuit Tester's above to THIS Professional Circuit Tester that uses a TRUE Incandescent Light Bulb to "Drink" in the 12 Volt DC to 24 Volt DC Power during testing and be a Valid Testing Tool as per Paul "Scanner" Danner's Observations for its proper use under certain conditions ....where the LED versions WILL NOT WORK:

PROCIRCUITESTER1.jpgPROCIRCUITESTER2.jpgPROCIRCUITESTER3.jpg

If the idea is for us to Populate Our Tool Chests with BOTH varieties... then knowing what these Distinctions are between them ...becomes very important.

Attachments

• TESTLIGHT10.jpg
    TESTLIGHT10.jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In this Video from Paul “Scanner” Danner, we observe him ‘Thrashing Out’ a Ford “Crown Vic” after someone unloaded a ***HUGE Wad of Cash*** for a Full Box of Parts Buckshot after NOT solving all of the No Crank-No Start-No Comms Issues. THIS is a Classic Case Study that ends well through The Use of Good Diagnostic Techniques & A Power Probe ECT 2000 Open-Short Circuit Detector:

As with ALL Automotive Electrical and Electronic Diagnostics… IGNORE THE BRANDs-MAKEs-MODELs involved since The Basic Rules of Electricity Remain Universal ...Regardless of any other Distinctions.

It is worth mentioning that since “Danner” produced that video back in 2018, this Power Probe Unit has become more advanced and available now as the Model# ECT-3000 Version. Presently, these Device Kits are being offered; either as the "A" Complete Tool Kit for around $210.00… or in THIS "B" Version shown on the list below for around $147.00.

The latter, less expensive choice suits me fine, since I already have all of the other 4mm Banana Fitting Probes & Leads Gear mentioned in the more expensive Power Point OEM Kit present among all my various types of Oscilloscope Test Equipment:

And Finally… Because of the Rampant Rash of Mice Inhabitants proliferating inside of Full Size GM and GMC Pick Up Trucks, I decided to ‘Pull The Pin’ and get THIS “B” Version of the Power Probe ECT-3000 Kit.

So instead of losing my mind during any investigations for Potential Opens or Shorts in my own GM Vehicles… or ANY other Makes & Models suffering with Wire Harnesses that have been “Chewed Through and Through” ...by Rodents:

I Decided to Buy The POWER POINT MODEL# ECT-3000B OPEN - SHORT DETECTOR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYQEA4L/?tag=gmtnation-20

Some Un-Boxing Images and Gear Layout for "B" Kit:

PPECT3000A.JPGPPECT3000B.JPGPPECT3000C.JPGPPECT3000D.JPGPPECT3000E.JPGPPECT3000F.JPGPPECT3000G.JPGPPECT3000H.JPGPPECT3000I.JPGPPECT3000J.JPGPPECT3000K.JPG

Now even if you have NO INTENTION of EVER Buying the Power Probe ECT-3000 Kit, You would do well enough to just Download The Owner’s PDF Manual from HERE and Review EXACTLY HOW THESE TOOLS WORK:

... OR... Perhaps You would prefer Watching & Listening to this Young Lady explain how she uses the Full Kit Version of this Device on her Own Truck:

...and From the MTV "She Blinded Me with SCIENCE" Lab Guy...a More Official Demonstration using Power Probe's "Training Circuit Board":

THIS is the Full Kit Version:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719JV971/?tag=gmtnation-20

@Mooseman will MURDER ME ... If I Fail to Mention that THESE are SOME of the Less Expensive Kit Versions that will Essentially Do the Exact Same Job ...For a LOT Less Money:

ALLSUN SHORT OPEN DETECTOR

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BC4X28Y/?tag=gmtnation-20

DUOYI SHORT OPEN DETECTOR

https://www.amazon.com/Sensitivity-Adjustable-Vehicles-Sensitive-Protection/dp/B09C5ML6JB/ref=sr_1_31?crid=NL7N1UM89P29&keywords=ect2000+short+open+circuit+detector&qid=1659294861&sprefix=ECT200%2Caps%2C116&sr=8-31

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Dammit... I know !!! ... I should have covered THIS Issue back in Post #753 about "Lighted Circuit Tester's"... But until I actually received these last night... I would NOT have been able to clarify:

THE MOST SIGNIFICANT ASPECTS OF THEM ALL...

"Can you ACTUALLY SEE The Light inside of the Handle(s) in Broad Daylight...?"

NO! Not unless you Choose the OTC Brand of Incandescent Bulb Style Testers like BOTH of these items shown below:

Trust me.... I tested them ALL... and THESE are AMAZING!!!

Yes.... These will run around $10.00 to $15.00 MORE in Price... But here are the Reasons WHY this will be Money Well Spent Just to get The OTC Tools that REALLY DO WORK:

Clear Plastic Probe Tip Protectors & C-THRU Carry Cases
Very OBVIOUS Better Quality of Manufacture
Black Rubber Insulated Stainless Steel Prods.
Extra Big EZ-2-USE Ground Clamp on the 7" Truck Version.
Crystal Clear Handles with LONG & Bright Red Bulbs!!!
Extra Length (24') Reach for the OTC Truck Circuit Tester

OTCIRCUITESTERSA.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERSB.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERS1.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERS2.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERS3.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERS4.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERS5.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERS6.jpgOTCIRCUITESTERS7.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Okay... This is to Finalize everything in Post #754:

In order to 'complete the set' for this Power Probe ECT-3000 Thread... I bounced over to Amazon and found this Cool Kit of "Three Hulk Green" Power Probe Automotive Tail Light Socket Adapters. So WHY is this Kit so very important?

Well… Which of these two actions would You prefer doing?

(1) Trying to be in Two Places at One Time … By having to Kneel Down on Hard Rock Gravel in your Driveway ...Say… Right behind your Trailer just before a Road Trip after finding out that you have NO WORKING TAIL LIGHTS OR BRAKE LIGHTS. Then, while trying to Probe around inside of the Tail Light Sockets for Powers & Grounds with either a Lighted Circuit Pin Probe your have the problem of fiddling around with them while trying to read and work with your DMM at the same time to see the results.

(2) Or Instead... Be Sitting comfortably in a Lawn Chair (Yup… even on Snow Days) and observing and listening for the DMM to either "SING OUT" or "go silent" to confirm or deny Wire Integrity and Continuity? This can be achieved using your DMM after simply plugging your 4mm Banana Long Leads into any of these three appropriately sized, multi-prong Power Probe Tail Light Socket Adapters after inserting the right size version into the Tail Light Sockets of your Cars, Trucks or Trailers:

PPTK0006A.jpg
PPTK0006B.jpgPPTK0006C.jpgPPTK0006D.jpgPPTK0006E.jpgPPTK0006F.jpg

Notice how these Durable Three “Hulky Green Adapters” will make Electrical Contact and get firmly nestled inside or those Tail Light Sockets and are CLEARLY MARKED ON THEIR MOLDED SHOULDERS with the 4mm Lead Lighting Circuit Identities with "STOP", "TURN", "TAIL" and "PARK" in Plain View?

So NOW You’ll know exactly where to insert the correct 4mm Leads to Test The Individual Light Bulb Element's integrity. So Guys... For $28.00 on Amazon, THIS Power Probe “Three Green Meanies Kit” ... Really IS... Legit!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Super neat! Is that a 3157 or 7443 plug on the right? Looked through the listing and didn't see it mentioned. Kinda fiddly poking a test light around inside bulb connectors, these would definitely be useful!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That's what I was thinking, too... I just did NOT want to spend $210.00 for the FULL PPECT3000 Kit which is well described in THIS Video. The VOP (Video Original Poster) displays the cool aspects of those "Cool Green Plugs" at around 14:20 along in this Video and provides an excellent Un-Boxing description of all the "Adapters" he obtained inside of this Full Kit:

Also Page 16 from this Complete Color Owner's Instructions Manual describes these "Green Plugs" in use as being the "Three Common Light Bulb Types" :

POWERPROBETAILIGHTADPT.jpg

...The Young Lady from Ally does an even Better Job at the Un-Boxing:

My guess is that Power Probe wanted to be able to cover Bulb Inserts that hearkened all the "Way Back" to the pre-1980's Days when certain Vehicle Tail Lights had simple, Individual Sockets for this specific purpose.

One Last Mention involves the Power Probe "Piercing Probes" that are NOT included in the "B" Kit version I purchased ... nor the Blow Molded Case either... They also sell them as a Pair in a separate (Expensive) $60.00 Kit as well via THIS Link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077SFMJPX/?tag=gmtnation-20

513dgoM-zvS._AC_SL1500_.jpg510KO5GN2CS._AC_SL1500_.jpg71YwZbsdmUS._AC_SL1500_.jpg61SH2pr-D4S._AC_SL1500_.jpg51x1Lx5iZ1S._AC_SL1500_.jpg51V7moSbbGS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Attachments

• 20211221111038286.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • EN_Datasheet POWER PROBE ECT3000_ECT3000B.pdf
    373.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Blckshdw

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
A Very Nice 'eBay Used Tool Haul' ...with most of these Running at Under $10.00 from some eBay Kent-Moore Tool Liquidations from Estate and Closed Dealerships Sales:
AIRPRESSUREGAUGE2.jpgAIRPRESSUREGAUGE3.jpgHEAVYDUTYFIXTURE1.jpgHEAVYDUTYFIXTURE2.jpgKMACCLUTCH1.jpgKMACCLUTCH3.jpgKMLARGEBEARINGPULLER2.jpgKMPULLERS1.jpgKMPULLERS2.jpgKMPULLERS3.jpgKMPULLERS4.jpgKMSMALLBEARINGPULLER.jpgKMTIMESERTM10X125MM.jpgKMTOOLARRAY1.jpgKMTOOLARRAY2.jpgTIMESERTKITM6X1X12MM.jpg
Buying in Multiples from the same Vendors saved quite a bit on S&H, too... :>)

EDIT: 08/29/2022 (A Late Arrival from this Group)

KM1POUNDSLIDEHAMMER1.jpg

KM1POUNDSLIDEHAMMER2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Beacon and Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In spite of getting a plethora of “Likes” now and then in response to my Posts concerning either using or buying often fairly pricey tools that “I will NEVER Tout ...Without Giving A SHOUT…” and ALERT Folks if they EVER happen to go sideways for any reasons.

THIS Update is about One of THOSE:

If you recall a while back, I dropped a BUNDLE on THE Top Shelf Evolution Model# R355-CPS 14” Metal Cutting Table Chop Saw AND I ALSO went Whole Hog for a “Stable Table” and purchased a DeWalt Model# DWX726 Rolling Miter Saw Stand.

I wanted this thing because ordinary Metal Fabrication is trouble enough without getting into trouble with using any otherwise Dangerous Tools if they are not set up at a Proper "Non-Tipsy" Working Height.

The DeWalt Table provides Mobility AND Stability that allows me to use this Metal Chopping Monster Table Saw in the safest manner possible. (See Post #694, #700 and #702)

But recently, I literally got, “JAMMED UP” when the Left Side Frame Release Latch on the Damned Thing would NOT “Let Her GO…” and allow the Table to collapse.

At times like these… YouTube Channel Owners can be ever so helpful in “Cutting To The CHASE” and Drill Right Down with the BEST Possible Solutions. And I got Lucky in this case when I found THESE 'On Topic' Ones made by THIS Dude:

And If that Center Locking Brace Bar ever “Gets BENT….” and the Stand Won’t Close for THAT Reason… Watch THIS One:

So after following his suggestions and making the Cable Housing adjustments as per the Video and finding “The Sweet Spot” on the Center Locking Bar Cable Mechanism and also Fine Tuning the Cable Barrel Adjustment Nut near the Lock Release handle… The Problem is Solved and I’m back in business again.

By the Way…

The Evolution OEM Kit came with a “One Over The World” General Purpose 32 Tooth Carbide Tipped Blade that will NOT be suitable for trying to cut through either Oil Rig Quality Drill Head Hardened Steel Round Stock or 304L Stainless Steel in 5/8” Thickness or larger, either ...At least NOT without Destroying that Damned 32 Tooth Blade ..."Tooth Suite" ..Pardon My French..."

Opt instead for using the $99.00 90 Tooth Version... as the Carbide Tips on these Circular Blades are as ‘Hard as Chinese Math’… AND BRITTLE as HELL, too. They'll Chip Off at a Moments Notice if it gets ill-used in certain demanding metal Cutting events.

If you are cutting through Mild Steel and Aluminum Angle Iron and Plate Steel Coupons… The NOT SO HI $$$ 66 Tooth Saw Blade will be sufficient. Wen also makes an inexpensive 90 Tooth Saw Blade for THIN Metal Cutting Applications, too.

Pick Your Poison… :>)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=evolution+14"+90+tooth+saw+blade&crid=2SYG9HKHZQ56J&sprefix=evolution+14+90+tooth+saw+blade,aps,102&ref=nb_sb_noss

"Uh Oh... Did Something on the DeWalt DWX726 JUST BREAK?"

Not To Worry... Read On, Please:

Download and Save the DeWalt DXW726 Miter Stand Exploding Diagram and Available Parts List PDF:

https://www.toolpartspro.com/dewalt-parts/dewalt-dwx726-type-1-parts.html#Layer_1

This “Broken Bracket” Issue reminds of the days back when you could visit a Sears Outlet or Service Center and they could literally look up and pin down EVERY single part of everything they ever sold from an in-house Micro-Fiche Photo-Log...and then pull those tiny parts sell you those replacements. The fact this can still be done ANYWHERE for ANYTHING astonishes me in the present day and age:

https://www.toolpartspro.com/dewalt-parts/miscellaneous-parts/dewalt-5140110-98-to-link-bracket

https://www.toolpartspro.com/dewalt-parts/miscellaneous-parts/dewalt-5140110-95-set-plate

Attachments

• DWX726-Dewalt-T1-PB.pdf
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online