Nov 18, 2011
Duralast
Rodatech
Westar
Pioneer
A-1
Eagle
Q-parts

Just a few of the other brands available if you don't drink the rockauto koolaid

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Duralast is an anchor reboxed at autozone and they wanted a $60 for it. fudge outta here with that noice.

Not sure about the rest of those though.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Almost everything is likely re-boxed or re-named crap these days.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Sure seems that way... I had to purchase a tie rod end a few weeks ago at Autozone. I picked up a duralast and it was completely identical to the moog one I had in there. smh

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sitting at tire shop getting tired installed (Firestone Destination AT I picked up used but like new) and an alignment (steering wheel a little off and squeels in corners). After, check it for a screeching noise from RR brakes. Then look at maintenance items before trip tomorrow heading to the meet.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, alignment didn't happen. Shop said RF wheel hub has play. Huh? And the new TPMS sensors I gave them to install don't work :mad:. Black tape time for the light.

Took it home, didn't see any slop in the bearing but swapped it out with another I had. Then changed the oil in the front and rear diffs. Topped off the oil and replaced the air filter. Then checked for that screeching noise. Couldn't find the noise but it could have been caused by irregular wear on the inboard side of the rear rotors. Thankfully I had spares of the rear brakes. So far, no noise. Wonder why they wore like this?
IMG_20180807_193103_resized-2096555791.jpg

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Inspected all wiring going to the battery and alternator. Have a gremlin somewhere that keeps causing my voltage to drop into the 11.5-12 range while driving when the A/C is running, then the A/C cuts out and comes on as soon as the voltage ramps up to 14 again.

Also took the driver door apart to find out why the panel is loose near the handle. Found one of the plastic brackets that the 15 (?) mm bolt goes through to keep the panel secured to the door itself broke, have the fun of tracking down a donor vehicle in the local pick and pull to see if I find a replacement.

smt 59

Well, alignment didn't happen. Shop said RF wheel hub has play. Huh? And the new TPMS sensors I gave them to install don't work :mad:. Black tape time for the light.

Took it home, didn't see any slop in the bearing but swapped it out with another I had. Then changed the oil in the front and rear diffs. Topped off the oil and replaced the air filter. Then checked for that screeching noise. Couldn't find the noise but it could have been caused by irregular wear on the inboard side of the rear rotors. Thankfully I had spares of the rear brakes. So far, no noise. Wonder why they wore like this?
View attachment 85483
This is strange as I have the exact ware pattern on the rear brakes of my daughters Jetta, they are warrantying the rear brake job.

Sorry for the double post.

Replaced the upper control arms this morning, all is new now except the upper ball joints which still seem really tight, here are some pics of the job.

Attachments

• F4AAE8D3-1D16-4E6C-8606-AA40B0262D72.jpeg
    F4AAE8D3-1D16-4E6C-8606-AA40B0262D72.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 748CFE43-75FE-47CA-8285-E8B715E182B9.jpeg
    748CFE43-75FE-47CA-8285-E8B715E182B9.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 10
  • A74FADB6-3A61-405B-990A-C150552F8713.jpeg
    A74FADB6-3A61-405B-990A-C150552F8713.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
While driving to work this morning it seemed like I was getting some occasional odd feedback(wobble) from driver's side front. Put the rig in the air after work and definitely some slop in that wheel. Bearing was suspect(2 year old cheapy) and definitely not going to be able to wait for cooler weather to tear into the front end as the outer tie rods are tired AF too. Swapped the bearing since I had a spare, with minimal fat, sweaty guy effects.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
PIAA silicone wiper refills for the Silverado. Work awesome! Have had them on the TB for 18 months and still working great so I got a set for the truck since my work cheapies have started streaking. Well worth the price in my opinion. Most of the regulars know I'm a cheapskate so you know these are good if I paid up for two sets of them! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20180813_184948_HDR.jpg
    20180813_184948_HDR.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 7
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Ben trying to deal with the ABS sensor on my dad's truck ever since an idiot messed it up trying to open it. The head of the screw has been messed up. Can't get it to open. It was throwing an intermittent ABS and TC warnings. Also seems to be leaking some differential fluid. The guy at the workshop patched it up for now to stop the leaking. However I'm looking for a permanent solution. The idea was to open it and clean it and put it back in. A replacement part is hard to get by here as well

20180815_195444.jpg20180815_190308.jpg20180815_190309.jpg20180815_191339.jpg20180815_194118.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
20180816_193709.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Towed a zero turn on a trailer and finally got a fire extinguisher to keep in the truck. :thumbsup:

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Took it for a 100 KM trip around the city. Had some old books to donate and the trailblazer handled the load like a champ as always. Two suitcases full of hard cover books and a duffel bag! Doesn't look like it but I could barely lift the suitcases into the trunk

20180819_101451.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I've been busy working on the Voy.
swapped out wheels
purchased and installed new tpms sensors.
(programming was fun)
clay bar, compound, polished and waxed it.
Got Capote's wheels wrapped up for the drive down for delivery20180819_125909.jpg.
20180817_173011.jpg
Friday I start my drive down to Georgia to meet with @Capote. Then to my vacation destination in Florida where I'll hopefully meet with @Blckshdw later in the week/weekend.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
In the middle of front end work on the Sierra.

Good news - I can return the front calipers I bought from AAP, as the existing are fine (I had to replace the rears earlier, as they had rusted badly.

Bad news - looks like I need another hub socket - the one for the Voy is 35mm. The Sierra takes a 36mm.

Worse news - in the middle of pressing in the new upper BJ, I paid too much attn to the length of the cup for the shaft end, but not enough to the diameter, as I found the boot of the new joint in the cup afterwards. Was one of the nice Mevotech TTX ones, too. $30 + shipping down the drain (and I have to press a new part out).

Jumped on RA & ordering a replacement - Mevotech's std line for $9 & change. Still has a 5yr warranty, which'll prolly outlive my time w/ the truck.

Now looking for some plugs to throw in, as AC Delco's rebate will bring the Iridiums down to about $1.50 / per. Except RA doesn't list an ACD-branded Iridium (s/b 41-110, which I think are same as the Voy (which gives me an idea...just order them from the Envoy menu, since I got those from RA as well.)

Then off to bed, as I have to be in Indiana at 10am tmrw - I finally get the trailer back from the dealer. yay me...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
41-110 is correct for the 5.3. That's what's in mine.

Can't say I'd trust a Mevo standard $9 ball joint, but that's up to you, I guess.

When I got a hub socket for my TB, I got a 36mm. Was close enough to 35mm at that size to not be a problem. Good thing because it works on my Silverado!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mevotech is on my black list as CCC ever since I got a cracked outer tie rod. Use at your own risk.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Funny thing - I was on Mevo's website looking for info on the TTX ('Terrain Tough') line - and the guy doing the video was Canadian for sure (I'm good at recognizing the 'general' accents, if not the region-specific ones). So I figured the company was Canada-based (or maybe just their N. America arm is).

I figured to replace the one I broke with a cheaper version, as I'm 'only' going to be towing, not off-roading, and it has a decent warranty (yeah, I could get a 'lifetime' at AAP, but even with 25% off code, it's still $23...and we know how long Duralast parts tend to last - a lot less than a 'lifetime'. Meanwhile, Moog is now castigated all over the net for 'not being what they were'. So I figure...if all the brands are roughly equivalent now (suspension-wise)...why spend the premium, if it's still going to break again? At this point, I have all the tools to do the job (somewhere...lol)...so if I have to do it again at some point - so be it. Although I'm starting to feel like the Sierra just might be my last 'project' vehicle, from what my body is telling me.

Towed the trailer back home in the rain with the Envoy. Was funny to take off at the light once I dropped the trailer off and feel all the 'extra power' it had, using the same amount of pedal to get up to speed...lol. Can't wait to do the same type of butt dyno w/ the LQ4 in the Sierra.

While I'm waiting for that replacement BJ & plugs, I'll head back out to the garage tonight and start evaluating the idler arm. Figured it'd be a good idea to do the bracket for it, as well, so both parts are awaiting me in the garage.

Taking a close look at the underside of the Sierra yesterday, I see all-new brake lines in my immediate future; the ones that are there look like they're being held together... by rust. Starting to think I should've bought that Silverado 1500HD instead - it would've had new brake lines, too...LOL

Don't make major purchase decisions out of spite, kids...you'll regret it, every time :dunce:
On the bright side... there's such a difference in the way the Sierra rides already, just with the new shocks & tires...once I get everything done & an alignment on her, she should be a (relatively) comfy long-distance tow vehicle. But I woulda had heated leather with the Silvy...LMAO.

Adamc0909

Dec 14, 2017
Monticello ga
I've been busy working on the Voy.
swapped out wheels
purchased and installed new tpms sensors.
(programming was fun)
clay bar, compound, polished and waxed it.
Got Capote's wheels wrapped up for the drive down for deliveryView attachment 85635.
View attachment 85636
Friday I start my drive down to Georgia to meet with @Capote. Then to my vacation destination in Florida where I'll hopefully meet with @Blckshdw later in the week/weekend.
When are you coming through Georgia

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
When are you coming through Georgia
This coming Friday evening I should be pulling in. Saturday morning or afternoon I'll be around for a short while cause I have to push to make it down to meet with some family in florida.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Got it in for an alignment today. I didn't plan it out well as every shop near me was busy all week(perils of living in the sticks). I *&^%$# the toe up on the driver's side doing the inner and outer tie rods so I had to bring it in to one of the chain places. Tech said the upper control arm bushings were crap and the lower ball joints were suspect(not a surprise) but they could still get it pretty close. I have all the parts but the tie rods weren't willing to wait until I had more time.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
View attachment 85584
Been awhile since I last posted 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hey are those the new type of headlights with DRLs running around the crossbar? If so got any night shots?

Took the dad Mobile on the highway today. Just love how all it needs is a nudge to get up to the speed limit. I also hate the fact that I can't keep my foot on the gas longer :uhno: :rotfl:

Am hoping to detail the interior of my TB today. Lots of dust on the dash as you'd expect in my part of the world :whiteflag:

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Adamc0909

Dec 14, 2017
Monticello ga
Hey are those the new type of headlights with DRLs running around the crossbar? If so got any night shots?

Took the dad Mobile on the highway today. Just love how all it needs is a nudge to get up to the speed limit. I also hate the fact that I can't keep my foot on the gas longer :uhno::rotfl:

Am hoping to detail the interior of my TB today. Lots of dust on the dash as you'd expect in my part of the world :whiteflag:
5AE32D91-0AF4-47BA-BC87-BA4C20ED17E2.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dropped off the Saab for a badly needed alignment after replacing the lower control arm brackets about a month ago. Sounded like I was drifting all the way there. Then walked to a nearby greasy spoon for breaky and back waiting for the truck. Also getting them to check a leak in a tire as it was empty (it has run-flats) but only ran on it for about half a click. I haven't been driving it at all this summer since it's basically my winter beater now.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA

Looks nice but seems to be brighter than the parking, turn signals. Does it cause issues when yuo signal? How are the low beam projectors? And do I spy 2016 Tahoe rims and wheel well lighting?

You're going to have to start a build thread cause I got too many questions about your truck:rotfl:

EDIT : Thought I'd finally use the Torque app on my phone. Had some new codes pop up

SmartSelect_20180822-223552_Torque (Lite).jpg

P0303 is an old one and the P0650 is a side marker bulb that's not working. What's interesting is the P0442 but the last one seems made up though 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Had to jump start her again. My battery has been dying lately if I don't drive it for a little bit. It has been getting worse and worse. I was thinking that it might be parasitic draw from my amp but I don't think that would be enough to drain my battery overnight. I drove home from my buddies house last night at 9. This morning at 6:30 it didn't have enough juice to turn over. :Banghead:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Had to jump start her again. My battery has been dying lately if I don't drive it for a little bit. It has been getting worse and worse. I was thinking that it might be parasitic draw from my amp but I don't think that would be enough to drain my battery overnight. I drove home from my buddies house last night at 9. This morning at 6:30 it didn't have enough juice to turn over. :Banghead:

Time to start unplugging stuff.

Reactions: wstuckey1

Adamc0909

Dec 14, 2017
Monticello ga
Looks nice but seems to be brighter than the parking, turn signals. Does it cause issues when yuo signal? How are the low beam projectors? And do I spy 2016 Tahoe rims and wheel well lighting?

You're going to have to start a build thread cause I got too many questions about your truck:rotfl:

EDIT : Thought I'd finally use the Torque app on my phone. Had some new codes pop up

View attachment 85687

P0303 is an old one and the P0650 is a side marker bulb that's not working. What's interesting is the P0442 but the last one seems made up though 😂
No problems with my turn signals low beams are great. And yes I use to have 2014 Silverado wheels on the Tb and as for the wheel well light they are color changing rock lights

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Installed rear swaybar end links. Fleabay specials at $13.50 and identical to the AC delco professional parts. I ground flats in the shoulders of the bolts so that I can use a 9/16 open end wrench to keep them from spinning instead of the stupid hex key in the end of the bolt.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
After ~14k miles and 5 months I decided to change the oil.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Finally got around to detailing it. Just did a quickie on the interior. Will do a more in depth cleaning once it gets cooler outside.

20180825_151235.jpg

20180825_151238.jpg

Also painted my rear tires today

20180825_150238.jpg

Two down, two more to go

20180825_152357.jpg

Other than that found out that the shock is gone on my Dad's truck. Seems to be the LH rear one which was showing the ABS sensor code. Now it makes sense! I was skeptical seeing the leaking fluid being differential fluid. Turns out it was due to the shock. Could also be the reason why the Service Stability and traction control warnings are pointing to the sensor 🤔

20180815_195444.jpg

Did some research on the P0422 code my truck is throwing. Last time it did that I just replaced my fuel cap and called it a day. With this code returning, I just had a thought go through my mind. For some time now whenever I go to fill up my tank. It starts and then cuts off and then you gotta either hold it until it fills. It happens sometimes but quite frequently. Could this be connected in any way?! 🤔

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
@smt 59 The passenger side came with the car. The one on the drivers side happened on the first day I bought that beauty. Parked next to a truck, which had a custom cage built on it. And it seemingly hit my car while leaving. The one on the passenger side seems easy to remove, but the other one seems like it'll be a pain. Have no plans to fix any yet, but will be getting the front bumper and passenger front panel repainted. Lots of color fade on these two places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online