What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
@xavierny25 you been really busy. Every time I see pics of your truck I go searching for a set of those rims. Those would solve my problem of not wanting to use back up wheels. I hate putting on my 17s now after seeing it with the 20s, but those 18s I'd be able to live with for extended periods of time.

HizAndHerz

Oct 28, 2013
Topped off the Freon to get the AC ice cold again in the Texas heat.

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@xavierny25 you been really busy. Every time I see pics of your truck I go searching for a set of those rims. Those would solve my problem of not wanting to use back up wheels. I hate putting on my 17s now after seeing it with the 20s, but those 18s I'd be able to live with for extended periods of time.
20180615_133734.jpg
@dna59 I try to stay busy and focused.... It keeps me out of trouble. Lol... Here is a pic for comparison on my wheels and the tbss wheels.
On topic....Yesterday tuned the brother-in-laws system a lil bit.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Picked up the TB from the insurance, finally. They replaced the windshield and repainted the entire hood. Then took her for a wash as she was sitting outside a few days and was covered in pollen and dust. Then booked an alignment for the Saab next week.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Was looking under my hood again to check for vacuum leaks; just to find out that little piece on the fan shroud that holds it up against the radiator broke. The edges of the fan has sliced through the shroud as a result. Time to get the drill and do some ghetto zip-tie repairs....

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
My lucky streak ran out and after noticing my temps were running a little low the last few weeks, I got a P0128.
Testing the coolant temperature sensor with the multimeter, it reports an open circuit. Bummer.
I picked up a new sensor and the resistance while sitting on my desk is 2900 ohms. Nice.

I guess my next free weeknight will be tearing out that little bugger. Does anyone know if I really NEED a crow's foot for the sensor? I can fit my adjustable wrench on the new sensor almost perfectly parallel.
I know I can just cut the old wires and use a deep socket for removal, but my new sensor does not have detachable wires, so installation might be tricky without adequate tools.

Reactions: Matt

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I was just outside again so; replaced belt with a gatorback one I had bought not too long ago. Old one wasn't worn out or cracked, but it's still the same one from when I first got this truck. Being a boring day I then proceeded to go drive around and see if the small mechanic shop down the road had any beaters for sale, no dice. So I turned back around and got the itch to turn into the boat ramp area across from my apartments. Seeing that nobody was around I decided to whip the truck around and do some donuts lol. First time I have done anything that fun since the cops caught me last summer. Lets just say it was refreshing :2thumbsup: I'm sure the neighbors heard me.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
There was a bit of a delay for these since my brother went on Vacation. But there done and they turned out beautifully. 18" oem wheels coated in wet black.... these will be up for sale in about a month 1/2 after I get my 18" gmc wheels redone.IMG_2442.jpg

Last edited:

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Just wrapped up the P0128 fix. Gee, what a complicated job for a crappy $30 sensor.

The alternator has to come out just to get to it. The battery has to come out to make it so a human sized arm can fit down there.
The crow's foot you supposedly need to get the sensor out wasn't able to spin more than 30° at a time because of all the metal in the way.
I ended up just cutting the old wires so I could fit a deep socket on it to break it loose.
I didn't bother to drain the coolant.

Old vs. New
IMG_20180618_195208784s.jpgIMG_20180618_201750737s.jpg

I went to connect the new sensor and the sensor-side and vehicle-side connectors wouldn't fit together. I was about 5 seconds away from just cutting the wires and splicing them together when I realized the new sensor had an extra gasket the old one didn't have. I pulled the gasket out and they fit like a glove.

This is why I don't do this for a living. I like to complain about it too much.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Thought you knew that lol, standard data :raspberry:
In my defense I replaced those parts before I even knew about this site... :biggrin:
I didn't make the same mistake when I ordered the same parts for the tbss 2 yrs ago...:2thumbsup:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Replaced the purge valve, canister, and gas cap on the Voy. I also took a pic of my powder coated Dorman trans pan that I never showed you guy's when I installed it.20180624_192407.jpg
Damn it man with the flipped pic's....

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Poked around at some bubbled paint under my lift gate release and discovered the first sign of body rust on my 11 year old ride, which is pretty good for the rust belt.
It's in a good spot for an amateur paint repair(my specialty), we'll see. Funny thing is that looking inside the gate, the bottom seam(where you would expect the rust) is pristine.
100_4277.JPG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A hub and axle replacement on the Saab that turned into a poop show. Wound up also needing the lower control arm bushings so started replacing the brackets when one of the weld nuts broke.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Drove it to work today. So much prefer driving it over my wife's Civic, but, when gas keeps kissing the $3 mark and the Civic gets 37mpg vs the truck 17mpg, well...

Plus, I realized how many miles I've been putting on the truck and while I don't mind the miles on the odometer, I realized those miles are chewing away at the tires which would be around $1200 to replace them. The Civic's tires are a heck of a lot cheaper, plus the ones on there suck anyway and having an excuse to replace them by wearing them out quickly makes sense.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
After 3 weeks.of neglect I washed it, polished the headlights, polished the gas door, polished the exhaust tip and polished the grille. Also had to get a passenger side mirror glass after I hit the mirror and the glass fell out. Inhad taken out the glass out of a brand new TYC mirror but it never held in tight.
IMG_20180626_092852.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Upper ball joints on the Voy..... The second time is much easier then the first.. wow Banged it out in like 40 minutes a side.20180629_133848.jpg
Auto zone stepped it up with a new vendor for there rental tool service. 20180629_133841.jpg
Worked flawlessly....

Kurb

May 3, 2014
My Trailblazer would not start. It sounded like it was turning over well, so I first verified that I had spark. I then checked the battery and found the voltage was only at 11 Volts. I tried to jump it unsuccessfully, so I removed the battery and took it to Advance Auto. They charged it, and it passed the battery test. It still did not want to start. I could hear the fuel pump running, but I thought it should be louder, so I checked fuel pressure with the key on run, and it was good. With the key on start, it fired right up. Fixed itself!!! :2thumbsup: I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that I won't be chasing an intermittent no start.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ordered a new fuel filler door for the Envoy; the old one broke on the top hinge half the other day. Must've become fatigued from all the gas I put in it during the Montana trip...LOL

$25 shipped from the Bay. I have to repaint it, but NBD.

Too bad I didn't notice it when I replaced the filler neck a couple of months ago. Hoping I don't need to take that back apart to get the new door in.

Reactions: Matt

smt 59

Replaced oil pressure switch yesterday and today replaced the front end links from Suspension Maxx back to Moog as they kept coming loose even with locktite red on them, the clunking was driving me crazy. As well repainted the calipers from red to black and greased the sliders and all grease points were required on the front end. Tomorrow’s job is the fan clutch, all this is cheaper than a new truck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nothing. Got up from night shift around 12:30, saw it was nice and cool out, I thought I would tackle the Saab's lower control arm brackets again but was too tired and working another night shift so I said "screw it".

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
DJM upper control arms, I've been delaying this mod/upgrade for months.... I also swapped in the new Powerstop brake pads. Let's see'z how these work out ... I had some pic's on my phone but with the new phone update there gone... like wtf man!!! errr
r:explode:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
DJM upper control arms, I've been delaying this mod/upgrade for months.... I also swapped in the new Powerstop brake pads. Let's see'z how these work out ... I had some pic's on my phone but with the new phone update there gone... like wtf man!!! errr
r:explode:

20180707_210416.jpg
Just washed it...Powder coated djm uppers are in there somewhere and so are the new brake pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online