What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Drove her 400 miles,
Idk if I could do that on a full tank. But thanks again I have an 18 gal tank so it would never be possible.

I changed the rear lift gate and glass struts out. Much better!!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Wanted to take the Trailblazer on today's trip, but I was told "oh you'll definitely make it in elliott, don't put the miles on your truck, elliott is a beast." I'm sitting here going "thanks for jinxing me, what's another 300 miles when I'm doing more than that weekly, and I still hate driving it." With my luck the fuel pump or starter is going to crap out and at least I keep tools in my truck. If it breaks on me I ain't fixing it because it's not my problem. I didn't want to take it. And if I hit traffic like I always do, my truck is on fumes by the time I get home. (5 hour trip turns into 9 hours) so with only 19 gallons in the smaller tank I have to keep that in mind too. (For those who don't know, my sister named the envoy elliott...)

If I break down some one come rescue me. I'll probably be in commack somewhere. :rotfl:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Yesterday, changed the drivers side blend door actuator. What a c*&% of a job that was. 99° in the garage. Cut myself up on the metal bracket that's in front of it pretty good, but after farking around for about an hour I put power to it to move it so it lined up with the post and it slipped straight on.

Buttoned everything back up connected the battery again and let it do it's thing. Started the truck and I have nice cold air on the drivers side again.

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
How easy is it to do those struts?
I did them by myself so that adds difficulty, especially right after hitting the gym. If you have someone to support the glass or lift gate (which ever you're replacing), it'll be a breeze. Just pop off the metal retainers with a flat head, pull the old strut off, and push the new one in.

I think I installed my gate ones upside-down, with the cartridge on the bottom but it works the same so I'm leaving it as is. :2thumbsup:

Reactions: tsmith1156

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I did them by myself so that adds difficulty, especially right after hitting the gym. If you have someone to support the glass or lift gate (which ever you're replacing), it'll be a breeze. Just pop off the metal retainers with a flat head, pull the old strut off, and push the new one in.

I think I installed my gate ones upside-down, with the cartridge on the bottom but it works the same so I'm leaving it as is. :2thumbsup:

I'd like to replace them both just cause they look like crap and are rusting somehow. What brand did you go with?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
When I changed mine, I put a length of 2x4 in to hold the full gate up. The glass alone isn't bad, but the full hatch is a bitch without the lifts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Replaced the rear hatch lock actuator as it was completely dead and didn't want to unlock. $5 for a used one at pick-a-part :2thumbsup:

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Analyzed the rub marks on my front mud flaps. I think if I want to retain flaps I'll need new ones that are shaped differently and mounted a bit differently. Thought about taking them off but I do like how they protect the doors/rockers from the worst of the stuff thrown from the tires.

Reactions: Matt

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
What brand did you go with?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141621526681

I thought the hatch was fine until I put the new ones in. Night and day difference. Oh and these have a 3 year warranty, I only buy things off ebay with a significant warranty because I know I won't revive a return marked as brand new. That has happened with big companies like Rock Auto.

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Elliott drove very nicely actually. The leather conditioner made the seats noticeably softer and it was comfortable. My hatred isn't as bad toward it. Well that was until the starter decided to click.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141621526681

I thought the hatch was fine until I put the new ones in. Night and day difference. Oh and these have a 3 year warranty, I only buy things off ebay with a significant warranty because I know I won't revive a return marked as brand new. That has happened with big companies like Rock Auto.

Hmm I may have to check haha

Reactions: SnowBlazer
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Took the dash apart on my Dads 05 Yukon. To "inspect" and ponder if he was ready to replace his bulbs in the Auto HVAC unit as all of them are gone. Sadly when putting it back together, I cracked it. I guess if not me it was going to crack someway or another. Soooo..... any suggestions to repair it? It is a minor one but I guess it will get larger the next time I take it off :Banghead:

Annnnndddd I also went shopping :

http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/khalid-9130-jha-2009-trailblazer-ls-build.15395/

:2thumbsup:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
2 weeks ago I put in upper control arms and a set of new wheel hubs.

While doing this I noticed my upper ball joints have boosted boots... Mevotech suck a__. TIme to order some moogs.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Drove it 400 miles home. Ended up nearly a thousand miles added this weekend. Pretty lame gas mileage too, around 400 per tank, most driving was at 75-80 though, it does better at 70. Not complaining though, especially with how cheap gas is now.

20160808_222453_HDR_zpsmzfxi9av.jpg

Yes I know SES. Gas tank recall is waiting to be completed. Checked half way through the drive and again at the end, still the only code is p0445 pointing at the gas tank, glad there's no new ones.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Welp... Guess it's time for a relevant post from me in this thread... :biggrin:

So this morning when I got to the office, and went to pull my sunshade across the windshield, it wouldn't latch properly. Kept slipping off and flying back across to the other side. :eek: Upon closer look, the small plastic nipple had come partially out, and eventually all the way out when I tried to mess with it.

20160811_181818.jpg

20160811_181836.jpg

It dropped to the floor, so I left it there until I came back out for lunch. My water bottle has a large footprint, and doesn't fit in the big cup holder unless I take the rubber insert out, so I put that in the passenger seat. When I got out of the truck from lunch, I put the plastic nipple in the large cup holder spot, but forgot to put the insert in. So naturally, when I got home after work, it wasn't there anymore, slipping through one of the small gaps... :mad:

20160811_181852.jpg

So setup the HV fan in the garage, grabbed my work light and tool box and proceeded to get the center console loose to do some hunting. I got SUPER lucky, once I was able to lift the console up a bit, I crossed my fingers it had fallen to the side and would fall further, ending up under one of the seats, rather than under the carpet in the transmission tunnel. Which was the case.

So got the sunshade fixed, and pressed the nipple back in carefully with some channel locks. Before replacing the gear shift lever, I realized I had a traction control shifter in my mod parts box for the longest time, so I ran back in to grab it. Didn't realize how much larger the handle was compared to the plain Jane one I had. :cool:

20160811_181927.jpg

Noticed the set screw was in the front instead of the side, thought to check out the shifter post, and of course there was a provision for both. :2thumbsup:

20160811_182805.jpg

Hadn't used the AC in the past few days, with the storm fronts coming through, but no rain while I needed to be on the road, I was able to have the windows down and enjoy the fresh air. Today was not the case, so I had the AC cranked up to 4 in the front, 2 in the rear, until it cooled off the cabin, then dropped it to 2/1 and it was nice and icy. Having a properly functioning AC system in FL is a beautiful thing!

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Got my ACdelco engine mounts and spark plugs today. Can't wait to get them changed hopefully I can get a break this weekend to change them as the vibrations has been annoying the hell out it me. Damn hurricane Earl has left me with lots of frickin' insurance claims to adjust and settle.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Un-intentionally made my knocking come back...

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Replaced my crappy Anchor engine mounts with ACdelco ones. From new the Anchor ones vibrated like crazy and after 6 months they were already collapsed. Even worse the passenger side one had something loose inside and was rattling when I took it out. I had to cut off the non threaded top of the mounts to get the new ones in. I can say the 1.5hrs and $150usd was surely worth it. Truck feels brand new! Shall tackle the plugs tomorrow then next week or so my HPtuner programmer should be here.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Changed both hubs. Got the new breaker bar from HF and the passengers axle nut still didn't budge with heat, PB, swearing and me jumping on it. Finally went and saw a bloke and he zipped it off with a rattle gun...took 10 seconds tops. He nipped it back up so I could drive the 3 minutes home and wouldn't take any money from me.

Anyway, got them done and it looks like the drivers side was toast, grease on the front side of it, but all's good now.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Changed the oil, oil filter, knocked some dried dirt out of some nooks in the frame, and topped off the front differential. Appears there is a leak somewhere around the input shaft.

Reactions: Matt and dmanns67

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Changed my oil with some Full Synthetic Rotella T6 5W-40 and a Mobil 1 filter.

Last edited:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Picked a hell of a day to mess around with my audio system, sweat my ass off for hours.

Before I could install my capacitor, I had to pre-charge it. Came with an easy to use charging tool too.
IMG_20160813_162714821.jpg

The charging tool came with a built-in resistor. Not sure if it was provided by the manufacturer or SonicElectronix.com, but very handy. Saved from tracking down a resistor or using a 12v test light while charging.
IMG_20160813_162844017.jpg

The built-in distribution block made install pretty quick. I was able to use the ground I had for my amp on the capacitor then run another ground wire from the capacitor to the amp. Cut another 6" piece of red power wire to run from the capacitor to the amp. The sub sounds strong and the best part is no more dimming lights :celebrate:
IMG_20160813_162856554.jpg

The vibrations from the sub box was vibrating my rear quarter panel and was quite annoying. Used the sound deadening/vibration absorbing material I ordered to line the back side of the sub box and also lined the edges of the plastic cover that goes over the sub box. The material was easy to work with, but the curves and crevasses of the sub box made it time consuming. Had to match up multiple pieces.

The material took care of all vibrations and the bass sounds clear and solid. Should have done this when I first installed the sub and box.
IMG_20160813_162908311.jpg

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Tried copy @Paul Bell to pop loose the rear center stud for the 3rd row seats, but the stud snapped off near the base instead. :mad:

For now, that's fine, as it's out of the way when I have stuff back there, and the hole is still sealed from any water intrusion. Will go buy some cobalt drill bits and see if I can drill out that stud, or at least get a pilot hole going so I can use a hole saw on the sheet metal. :undecided:

20160813_195208.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
My weekend was a really busy one. Just sadly not for my Car. Took out both the Head Unit and Auto HVAC unit on my dads Yukon to replace all the fried bulbs. Technically all of them. On Friday we did the Auto HVAC, pretty straight forward due to the fact that my dad went with the 12V bulbs. The blue jackets wouldn't fit so we just left them. Saturday was the head unit, pretty straight forward. Sadly we were out of bulbs so about ¾ of it if lit up nicely. Same issue with the blue jackets. Has to leave them out. I also finished and installed my secret led project which I'll post ok the led mod thread :2thumbsup:

WP_20160812_17_09_20_Pro_LIcompressed.jpg

WP_20160812_23_03_50_Pro_LIcompressed.jpg

WP_20160813_10_26_55_Pro_LIcompressed(1).jpg

WP_20160813_12_37_47_Pro_LIcompressed.jpg

WP_20160813_19_20_15_Pro_LIcompressed.jpg

WP_20160813_19_20_29_Pro_LIcompressed.jpg

A slight difference in color. I would mind but my dads ok with it. As long as he's happy :biggrin:

Teaser :

WP_20160812_20_51_28_Procompressed.jpg

I'll post more about it in the Led Mod Thread

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
Tried copy @Paul Bell to pop loose the rear center stud for the 3rd row seats, but the stud snapped off near the base instead. :mad:

Your bolts must have been better welded in. How many did that? At least you won't have to seal the hole!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Your bolts must have been better welded in. How many did that? At least you won't have to seal the hole!

I only tried the center one, since that's the one that's "in the way" when I put stuff back there, I was planning to leave the ones on the sides alone, at least for now.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Just blew the soot out from my hyper-mileing since i got fresh oil in yesterday. Still shifts quick and firm at red line through all gears.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Picked up some cutting oil and these cobalt drill bits from Lowes, and got to work on that busted seat stud.

*linky*

Read some mixed reviews but decided to use caution as I saw in some online reading. I had dimpled the stud yesterday with a regular bit, so I applied a drop of cutting oil there. One drop on each cutting edge of the bit, and went at it with medium drill speed, and medium to light pressure.

Started with a 1/8" bit, and it only took a minute or 2 before I punched through. :biggrin:

20160814_122151.jpg

Stepped up to the 5/32" and then 7/32" bits, same technique, and am quite happy with how smoothly it went.

20160814_123856.jpg

Threw my work light under the truck, just to check clearance, since I wasn't sure how close to the spare tire it was. All good!

20160814_124449.jpg

So now I have a new idea. Instead of drilling out the stud completely, since obviously it's welded in there really good, I'm thinking of tapping the stud, so I can thread in a bolt from the top side, and not have to worry about somehow securing a nut somewhere to make the combo come together. I figure it would be much less work, and be a lot faster to make the change when needed. :undecided: If that goes well, I could very well break off the other 2 studs, drill and tap them as well. Then whatever bolt choice I go with, could make the weather seal for me. Done deal! :cool:

And of course, anytime there's any commotion and an open garage door, these 2 show up to come see what's going on. :tongue:

20160814_121223.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
20160814_195554_HDR_zpsdxdvk3pu.jpg

Resonator delete. Finally cut that rattling piece of shit off. Much better now with no rattling, was getting to an embarrassing level. Took me about an hour, Sawzall couldn't get in there at the right angle to cut it straight so I had to cut it at a few different places to make the angled cuts connect. :no: Gonna work on getting a piece of pipe to extend it out the back now.

And oh, didn't help that my floor jack isn't acting right, had to use the sketchy stock jack to lift it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Don't know your problem, I reached in there with a hacksaw through the rear wheel well without even jacking the back end up when I lopped mine off :raspberry:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Swapped rear axles between my truck and the Ranier. I'm now the happy owner of a 3.73 rear end, been wanting to do a swap for a very long time!
IMG_20160814_195034.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
This weekend she got driven a bit and re4ally noticed that it is time to swap some new brake pads up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CISR2K

Members Online