What did you do to your GMT today? [Part II]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Rolled my eyes at it, but before that, attempted to do some long overdue troubleshooting. A while back, I had noticed after parking in the garage, that one of the LP lights was out, and the other one was flickering. Kept meaning to look into it, but put it off. I remembered changing the bulbs like a year or so ago, so guessed maybe something was going on that I needed to look into.

Was going to check the wiring for issues, so pulled the LP pocket. Not sure how it happened, but I snapped off one of the studs. Thankfully it's one of the bottom ones, but still. Opened the drawer of my workbench that has all the tapes and adhesives in it, and I'm fresh out of any epoxy. :mad:

20210318_193704.jpg

Pop the plugs out of the pocket, to find one socket empty. :eek: :undecided: The bulb that was in place was an OLD one I had from way back in the day. Did a quick continuity test on the harness and it was fine. Plugged it back into the lift gate, and turned on the parking lights. Of the 4 LEDs in the bulb, only 2 lit up, and after a minute or so, started to strobe.

Thought I had some other spare 194 LEDs in a bin somewhere but couldn't find them. Connected to a socket on my breadboard, I found this bulbs partner, so that explained why there was only 1. Threw a pair of stock bulbs in for now

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The saga continues. After splicing the connector on the second hub, went to work on the right side. Surprise, the hub came out easier than the left side after a few smacks of the sledge hammer. Get the brakes done and went to bleeding. The fluid in the master was a really skanky dark green. Have lots of fresh fluid on hand so I sucked out the the old fluid with a baster partially filled the reservoir and moved the fluid around with the baster, sucked it back out, rinse repeat one more time to make it as clear as possible. Filled it up, teflon taped the bleeders and used the vacuum pump. All in all, I went through about 1.5 liters of fluid. Finish it all up, wheels back on, axle nuts and wheels nuts torqued.

Take it for a test drive and traction control kicks on and then ABS and Stabilitrak errors pop up. Great. Connect the Tech 2 and get C0035 and C0040, left and right sensors, signal probability issue (???). On the drive, I get 0 speed on both. I know my soldering job was solid and the connectors are in so... Get the Google Fu working and apparently there are two types of sensors, active and passive. Active, or digital sensors, produce a different signal compared to the older passive, or AC signal. So now I wonder if these hubs have the wrong sensors. I'm hoping that the tone rings are the same with just a different sensor. Didn't have time to investigate this any further tonight.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drove the Avy to the family "farm", a 50 acre wooded lot where the BIL makes maple syrup. Get there and put it in 4hi since it's a mud road, although mostly frozen today. Later in the afternoon, pack up and drive back out, get back on the road and flip the switch back to 2hi. Get on the highway and notice this noise/vibration. Check the switch, light still on for 4hi despite switch on 2hi. Try moving it back and forth and also shut it down and try again, nada. Drove it all the way back in 4hi. Man did it ever suck the gas more than usual. Plug in the Tech 2 and a code saying that the transfer case temp was too high (forgot the actual code). Reset the codes and the transfer case is working normally again. Very strange.

We're going back on Sunday and will check again with the Tech 2 coming along just in case. Tomorrow, I'm heading to Kenny-U-Pull to grab a couple of ABS sensors. Maybe it's related?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Probably the reason for the different connectors.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yesterday, went to Kenny-U-Pull and grabbed a couple of ABS sensors and a couple hub nut caps which mine didn't have. Swapped them out, which was relatively easy without the dust shields. Reset all the codes and monitored the speeds, all good so the tone ring inside the hubs are the same. Just needed the proper sensors.

Then went to the rear brakes to flush those out. I knew the slider boots were done and needed replacing. Started on the rear left, took it apart, cleaned them all up, installed the new boots. Used the torches on the bleeder but it still came out with difficulty and galled the threads in the aluminum caliper. Flush it out, the fluid to the rear was darker than the front. Finish the bleeding and then had to really crank on the bleeder to get it to stop. Not sure I completely trust it. Went to the other side and that bleeder broke off. :frown: So on Monday, I'll check to see how much those calipers cost and decide if I'll replace both or just the one.

I also changed the transfer case fluid (Dex VI) in case it got cooked when I ran in on 4hi for that long distance.

Today, took it to the farm again and the 4x4 worked perfectly. :2thumbsup: More than likely was related to the ABS sensors.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Checked around and found brand new rear calipers for $101.88 + tax for the pair and no core charge. Pretty damn good compared to rebuilts for $80 each . Replaced both, flush and bleed, all good. At least both will be equal.

Getting there.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today was maintenance and some modding! Been wanting to do the tranny maintenance and replace the puny aux cooler with a decent one I picked up at Kenny years ago for just such an occasion. And as I was working on it, the Amazon lady dropped off the fan for it. For $31, it's a good deal and fits perfectly however the push through mounts were so brittle that I broke two so I had to improvise using zip ties. It pulls a decent amount of air and will be useful when towing in hot and sweaty weather. I'm just going to use a manual switch with it since I usually monitor the temps closely.

Fluid was dark but not burnt, just the regular sludge on the magnet and there was no residue at the bottom of the pan so I'm happy. Getting the pan out was a b!tch with the shifter bracket and the exhaust Y-pipe right under. Unbolted and jacked the tranny for extra clearance and pried on the bracket. I could have unbolted the bracket but with my oversized hooves, it wouldn't have been easy.

My only gaffe was after the last flush and fill, I inadvertently dumped the old fluid into the 1/2 leftover gallon container of fresh fluid, which I would have needed as I am at the add mark.

Didn't have time to wire up the fan as I was running out of daylight. Maybe tomorrow.PXL_20210323_171413786.jpgPXL_20210323_213820238.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Getting the pan out was a b!tch with the shifter bracket and the exhaust Y-pipe right under. Unbolted and jacked the tranny for extra clearance and pried on the bracket. I could have unbolted the bracket but with my oversized hooves, it wouldn't have been easy.

Bending the bracket is a fairly common thing, from what I understand. I did bend the one on the Envoy, with its 4L60 pan, and didn't fret about it one bit.

When I did the Sierra, I was able to get one of the two phillips screws out of the bracket, but the other one wouldn't come. However, with the one screw out, I was able to swing the bracket far enough out of the way, with the shift cable disco'd, so that I had clearance for the pan (you and I both have same engine / exhaust / trans on our full-size pickups).

I may have used a cheapie right-angle screwdriver; can't remember right now. If I knew the thread pitch, I'd have tried replacing them with hex bolts. Why that bracket gets fastened with Phillips screws is beyond me.

There've been many times in life I cursed my short fingers (I actually had a music teacher call them 'little sausages', once), but having smaller hands has served me well in one area -- auto repair.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Bending the bracket is a fairly common thing, from what I understand. I did bend the one on the Envoy, with its 4L60 pan, and didn't fret about it one bit.
Oh I did bend it but with the front driveshaft in the way, couldn't bend it enough so had to pry it to get it to clear the pan. I think there's also some variations with Y-pipes where some have more clearance than others. At least I don't have to worry about it for a while (famous last words!)

Reactions: xavierny25

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Havent done very much to the Envoy lately. Everything seemed to be working well except for the Random misfire code I cant seem to solve. Which means I still have a 3yr old inspection sticker so in town driving during the day is risky business. I had plans to go on a lil trip this weekend , about 4.5 hrs away and had convinced myself the Envoy would make it. But my 84 yr old Mother was hospitalized this week so I had to cancel.
I get up this morning and she calls and says their releasing her and to go get her car and come pick her up. She cant get into my GMC 3500 van that i drive daily. I get the big idea to go pick her up in the Envoy. She hasnt rode in 1 in years and as Ive mentioned before several of the parts on mine are off the original 2003 she bought brand new 18 yrs ago. Thought she would like riding in it and she did.......I on the other hand DID NOT!!!
Some of you may remember the elcheapo fan clutch i put in last summer just to get me by for awhile. Well its worked fine so I kinda forgot about it....and OFCOURSE as Im pulling up to the hospital I look down and Im running about 225/230 Degs!! Thank God I didnt try to make that 4.5 hour trip with it........
Anyway I cant turn off the AC cus its 82 here today and she cant get hot so Im able to jump on the interstate and get moving and get it back down to 210 or so....The electric fan i put in helped Im sure. The AC wasnt blowing very cold and seemed like the tranny was shifting weird but I made it...
I pop the hood and the fan clutch is just free wheeling, no resistance at all so Ill be using the Rock Auto discount code this week to get the OEM fan Ive been putting off buying for 2 years....
Im convinced my misfire is bad intake gaskets but I just cant see pulling it down that far and not going ahead and taking the heads off and have them reworked at the same time. I have all new seals and springs, etc ready to go. So its time to bite the bullet and get it all done soon........soon as in who knows when!

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today was pretty good. Installed the Silverado tow mirrors, same as on the TB and Saab (sorry, forgot to get a pic).

The oil pressure was getting low again, hanging around 20 psi while cruising at highway speed. OLM was at 60% and it had only about 5k km. Was going put in some Castrol 5w50 ($60 for 5L) or Rotella T6 5W40 (on sale for $43 for 5L) but I spotted Mobil 1 turbo Diesel 5W40 for just $20 a gallon (3.78L) so grabbed a couple of those instead. Replaced one liter with with some Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Pressure was back up to 40 PSI cruising hot. We'll see how this holds up or if I'll need to replace the oil pump with a high volume one.

While I was down there, drained and refilled the front diff since it's still leaking at the axles. Trying some Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak with 75W90. Apparently it's good stuff and thought of giving it a shot.

Also noticed fluid leaking from the tranny cooler I just installed. One of the clamps wasn't tight enough. At the same time, I started the wiring for the fan. Hooked up the ground and ran the power wire to the fuse box and called it a night.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Had it towed home. While driving back home from Costco, the rubber line I used for the new tranny cooler split open at the cooler just under the hose clamp. Lost a lot of fluid but didn't run it dry. Good thing I have CAA gold. After dinner, went to two Crappy Tires to find proper cooler rubber line and both don't have it. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to go to a real parts store where I figure they should have it. Oh, and also some more tranny fluid.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
You know what they say about using the word assume?? Well I can vouch that it made an ass out of me. Several years ago a mechanic buddy of mine gave me a used Fan Clutch for my old 6cyl Envoy. It layed around for a few years and at some point I had looked at it and wasnt the same as the 1 on my 8cyl. So I "assumed' it fit the 6cyl and the 2 were different.. Fast forward to last week when I found a quite lengthy thread here about fan clutches that I completely missed from last October and I read there they were the same.
I go outside and pop the hood on my old 6cyl and Ill be damn they are the same. 2 frickin years fighting this fan clutch and i had a perfectly good OEM 1 sitting 8 ft away from my broken ones. Took it off and put it on the 8cyl and it works like a charm.. My sons truck was in the shop for a few days so hes driven the Envoy and even went across town in 5 oclock traffic and not a hint of overheating.
One of these days there will be a GMT Forums awards event and if I dont get the Biggest Idiot Award I pity the fool who does...........:lightbulb::lightbulb::undecided:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Repaired the tranny cooler leak. It may have been my fault. I only used one clamp at the cooler and one of the hoses was barely clamped by it. You can see where the clamp left its impression in the hose. When I installed it the first time, I couldn't see those clamps. Although it was high pressure fuel line, this was likely the cause. The other hose was fine. Replaced both anyway with 250 psi tranny hose and double clamped at the cooler and triple clamped at the hard lines. Refilled it, drove and rechecked. All good.

Will take it to a pay wash as it's still dripping fluid. It got everywhere.PXL_20210407_142807963.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Lost another piece of rocker panel when I shut the door :dunce:

Eh, still runs good. Would drive it anywhere. Still want to get the frame shored up where it is a bit too crusty for my liking and keep it around as long as I can.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Someone broke into my Dad's (well brother drives it now) Yukon the previous night, and stole the 12 year old JVC radio out of it. They something that caused a 3 inch hole under the door handle, bent the rod and tried forcing the shifter down to get room when removing the dash trim. Ignition, and the shifter york are janked up. The truck still starts, and is driveable but you need to wiggle the key to get it to go into the run position. Repair estimates were roughly $1,000, but our body shop buddy is cutting us a huge deal so its only going to cost half. Thankfully, the dashcam in our Expedition was facing the Yukon, and caught the dumbass + his plates (a little blurry, but readable if you mess with the photo and whatnot). So here's to hoping the police catch the guy.

I haven't done much with my truck, aside from shopping for an alarm system. I ordered everything I needed to repair the small curb rash (about 1 1/2") from my last venture into the city, so it may not be a pretty repair. But with a little bondo, sandpaper and matte black paint I think I can smooth it out and make it less noticeable. Downside to black rims, every scratch is noticeable, I'm still kicking myself for being so careless.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Repaired the tranny cooler leak. It may have been my fault. I only used one clamp at the cooler and one of the hoses was barely clamped by it
Had that problem myself once , I now use those fuel injection hose clamps for high pressure apps.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Someone broke into my Dad's (well brother drives it now) Yukon the previous night, and stole the 12 year old JVC radio out of it.
Is this still a thing? Nowadays, seems to be more catalytic converters being stolen from vehicles than stereos. Less work and more money. Last time shit like that happened to me was in my '89 Corsica when kids broke in to grab some change and CDs. Thieves will be thieves :mad:

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Is this still a thing? Nowadays, seems to be more catalytic converters being stolen from vehicles than stereos. Less work and more money. Last time shit like that happened to me was in my '89 Corsica when kids broke in to grab some change and CDs. Thieves will be thieves :mad:

It seems pretty rare, or at the very least I haven't seen anything recently about radios being stolen...again. Usually its whatever valuables are in the car, but our neighborhood is fairly quiet and its not very common either. The person didn't seem too bright, leaving their headlights on so the camera can capture their plates so go figure. We'll be knowing this week if the police are going to take action or not, you figure they would since there's video but who knows. Judging from how it all went down, this person didn't look like they were very smart to begin with.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Built the bed slide. Turned out good except for the end piece I split the wood. A coat of black Tremclad paint and let dry. Tomorrow I'll add the limiter straps and put some reflective tape. I also made a separator piece to hold the generator in place.PXL_20210408_180052762.jpgPXL_20210408_183005196.jpgPXL_20210408_192615595.jpg

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Went out to measure the bushings for the SMAXX links, still annoyed they're worn out already after not even a year. I think I'm just going to remove them, and go back to the regular MOOG joints. The previous set lasted way longer then these. I was also checking out the rear brake pads, because my inner pads in the rear are worn, while the outer ones look new still. Sliding pins don't seem to be hanging up, but I need to grab some pipe cleaners and more brake cleaner to give the caliper bracket a good cleaning. So needless to say, the rear pads need to be replaced again. May get new brackets off of RA, just to take advantage of the core charge. Came across red powder coated calipers + brackets from the front and rear and the mod bug is itching again. :undecided:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Put some Blue Devil stop leak in the front diff. Hoping it will stop or slow down the leak from the drivers side axle seal.

Didn't do a bloody thing for mine. If anything, made it worse :frown: . Already ordered a pair of seals.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It only took two years but I finally found the fuse that goes to the left rear trailer turn signal. ~BOB
Didja plug it back into the socket? :rotfl:

• Haha
Reactions: Beacon and Redbeard

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Loaded the 6500w genny and the stick welder to take them to the famy farm. The BIL needed to weld on a thumb to his excavator. The slide worked ok with all that weight. Then loaded 3 containers of dirt to.take home for the Mrs garden.

Attachments

• PXL_20210410_170043990.jpg
    PXL_20210410_170043990.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 5

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Didn't do a bloody thing for mine. If anything, made it worse :frown: . Already ordered a pair of seals.
I'm not dancing yet but I'll have an update later this week.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One thing I forgot to check was the diff's vent hose and fitting. Apparently that can also cause it to leak out by building pressure inside.

Reactions: Matt

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Awhile back I applied Rustoleum (Stops Rust) paint directly to rusted metal, without much prep and no primer. Don't do that,,,the results sucked.

The new process involves: Needle scaler, sanding, Ospho, acetone wipe-down and primer.

Tank straps get first coat of primer after a real surface prep.
fuelpump8.jpg

Last edited:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Finally got the rest of the parts to finish up the dual belt conversion for the alternator upgrade on the plow truck.
Could not find any application where GM used this on a SBC engine. So no 3 groove pulleys exist for the long water pump. As luck would have it by reversing and re-drilling the same pulley used on the crank it works,even uses the same size belts.
I was way too far into this before I realized that I should have gone to pick a part and got a serpentine set-up .....:duh:
100_1662.JPG

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Went to Kenny-U-Pull to get a gas tank for the Avalanche. First truck I hit was an 06 Burb. Try the first strap bolt and the u-nut just spins. To hell with that one. Then found an 04 Burb. Woohoo, somebody already unbolted it and all I had to do is cut the fuel line and wires. It has a 1/2 hole in the bottom which they do to drain them. That's fine with me. For $17, I can either plastic weld it or find some sort of plug.

Go to pay, she says I gotta pay for the old rusty POS fuel pump that's still on it. Wtf? It's worthless. So I step aside and spend another 20 minutes trying to get it off with a pry bar and 3lb sledge.

PXL_20210417_161506121.jpg Pay and load it up. Once home, fire up the pressure washer and get a lot of the shmoo and crap off and also wash out the inside, which that hole made easy to drain. Set it aside and will let it dry for a few days while I burn off the gas in the current tank.
PXL_20210417_200033736.jpg

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Replaced the upstream O2 sensors on the Avy to try and resolve a shaky idle and RPM drop coming to a stop. Used my modified 22mm deep socket and they didn't even put up a decent fight like they usually do. Had to unbolt the front driveshaft for some room to get at the DS connector. A fairly uneventful experience surprisingly. Reset the trims and they're working well. Didn't do anything for the rough idle but she picked up in the pep dept. Used to be sluggish when I'd stomp on it to pass at around 80kph, like it took its sweet time to downshift, thinking it was the tranny. Now she goes! Really feels like a 6.0L now.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Haven't done much on the Trailblazer. If it warms up this week......I have to grease her up, rotate the tires and then she will be parked for the year. With the Mormon wagon rolling, it will take over daily driving duties.

My goal is to extend the life of the TB for a few more years past my original forecast.

Dadwagon

May 21, 2020
West coast
Did visits to my parents and friends in two separate counties along with a trip to a beach. The SUV facilitated my first in-person meeting with friends without masks on as we are all vaccinated...had been over a year. Other than a poor quality rear brake pad cracking and causing a super annoying warped rotor feel, we continue to roll along without issues. New gold rotors and pads from ACDelco go on next weekend, decided to splurge on the good stuff given I'm two weeks out from 150,000 miles.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Looks to be in very good shape considering the age!

Reactions: northcreek

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Looks to be in very good shape considering the age!
Thanks !, Been garaged when not in use and never seen the winter so it has lived a charmed life. Got an engine transplant in 2017, that bastard Interstate 40 into Albuquerque killed the sbc and Reliable Chevrolet Inc. got a little richer.

Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thanks !, Been garaged when not in use and never seen the winter so it has lived a charmed life. Got an engine transplant in 2017, that bastard Interstate 40 into Albuquerque killed the sbc and Reliable Chevrolet Inc. got a little richer.
400sb? Surprised you didnt opt for the 6.0LS upgrade.

Reactions: northcreek

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online