What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
he got the balls to do this himself despite not waiting for me to translate the official instructions.

Balls, indeed! I don't know how many times I went over those instructions before starting (and over again as I went through each step). To do it with limited understanding of US English / idioms - I'm impressed.

Anyway, as for me... got the Voy back on the road today after replacing / repairing:
- Upper ball joints
- HD Bilsteins up front, retaining stock springs (rears were installed a couple months prior)
- front end sway links
- spark plugs / wires (since I had the shock modules out; I have the 5.3L)
- rust converter applied in front frame areas

No, I didn't do all of that in 'one' day. But I kept the truck down until I got at least those things accomplished.

Still things I want to do - but with those things done, I'm thinking I'm in pretty good shape for winter, if I don't do anything else.

Ancillary posts with observations / tips on doing the above items will be forthcoming shortly.

Reactions: Mooseman

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
(Didn't happen today, but I was "innawoods" so I couldn't post).

I was prepping for a camping trip to outside Harper's Ferry, WV on Friday by taking care of a long-overdue throttle body cleaning (hey, it only stalled once) and I decided while I was there to jiggle some connectors to make sure they were tight.

Well, I loaded 'er up, and fired it up to hit the road, and the Service 4WD light was illuminated, the 4WD selector was dead, and the gas gauge was pegged on "E" with the low fuel light illuminated.

I yelled some expletives since literally the two most necessary features for offroading and road-tripping; the fuel gauge & 4WD, were inoperable.

I was due to leave, so I quickly hopped out and spotted the most important connector I could reach - that huge one next to the under-hood fuse block with the gray bar that releases it, and I jiggled it and made sure the gray latch was tight, and thankfully 4WD and the fuel gauge came back online.
But man, what a mini heart-attack that was.
So when in doubt, check that big connector for issues like that.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Swapped the water pump out on the new ride, so far so good!

Yep, that's a familiar looking sight...but, gee - look at all that room in the engine bay! LOL

And a pic for those that missed talk of me getting it in the supporting members side of the site. 03 z71 with 107k on the clock. :wooot:

I missed it - will have to look. But you pretty much found my holy grail - pillarless extended cab, short bed, in a color that's *not* red, 5.3 or 6.0L, and Z71 (which pretty much ensured a 3.73 gear in the earlier years of that gen), and less than 150K on the clock.

Sweet find. I have a couple of bots, looking for just the right candidate (although now, I'm focusing on '07 - '13s.) With the way my Envoy is driving now, though, it might be awhile before I'm really ready to switch to a pickup.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
not today, but Sat. changed out the spark plugs. by the look of them it was about time, 100 K. took me as long to do the back one as it did to do the other 5. but worth it, the local garage wanted 200.00 to change them out.
for those who have not done it yet, it takes a 5/8" deep socket and if you don't have a sleeve for the socket, a magnetic pick up tool works great to get the plug out of the hole.

old plugs.jpg

old and new spark plugs.jpg

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Installed new front differential oil, cv axle oil seal and new front hub. I hope they last for a few years. Used some pennzoil marine GL5 synthetic that I had sitting on the shelf for ten years. Finally found a good use for it:2thumbsup:

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Putting miles on it. 56 mile drive to work one way right now. 112 miles a day x 22 work days a month (on average) is 2464 miles per month. Ends up being almost 30k a year, and would cost around $400 a month in gas at $2.50 a gallon.

OK then.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Just a bit further away then mate? :biggrin:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Getting it ready for radio swap that should go down tomorrow. Running amp wiring and will more than likely will have the old radio out by the time I feel done with it for the day. Wiring harness is supposed to arrive tomorrow, splice it up and everything should be ready to throw the new radio in.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Finally got my cargo cover today. Got it installed after cleaning it up. Now my sub and on the go tool bag are now covered. I also finally decided to do some work on my headlights. It's been a while since I've done a retrofit. I don't like the look of round projectors in the Envoy headlight due to the bezel design and also wanted to do my first LED retrofit. I ordered new clear corner headlights, Toyota Corolla LED projectors, and 35w-50w adjustable high beam HID kit. I think I will add turn signal switchbacks to it as well. I'm sill unsure if I will like the look of the Corolla LEDs but shall see.

toyota_corolla_led_projectors_5_1.jpg
IMG_20171101_131853.jpg

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Wired up the radio and threw it in, nice having Bluetooth music and calling back. Didn't even hook up the fm antenna, online music has killed fm radio for me, will remove the antenna "mast" next time I remember it. Used an interface harness made by crux, never heard of them before but so far I like the unit, works just fine and retained factory bose amp. And the chime isn't way different than the factory chime like a lot of people complain of with other units, sounds stock. Also put an led flasher relay in to cure my hyperflash.

Screenshot_2017-11-02-00-08-22-1.png

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Well things snowballed this morning. Went from checking a noise in the cargo bin, to finding water, to investigating a water leak, to riping out the interior, to cleaning the carpet, to re-running my audio system wires...might as well get it all over with. The leak had been there since I got it but seems to be getting worse as water has never been in the storage area. The carpet needed cleaning as it's the only eyesore on the vehicle and wanted to return my wires anyway.
IMG_20171103_073413.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Touched up various paint chips on my hood; installed a 'bugflector' to hopefully help w/ that going forward. Replaced headlamp bulbs. (why, oh why GM, did you make the headlamp module retention tabs to release short from the end of their travel? Was a pain, until I saw that after both modules were out.) Took a wire wheel to the rusty tabs. Lubricated the hood latch / mechanism.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Three wheelers were banned in the 80's due to rollovers. Quite a few people died on them.

Yesterday, I did the front brakes on the Saab. Used the rotors from the EXT and new ACDelco pads. Went to the rears and the rotors were too rusty to be reused and pads were more than half worn. I'll have to shop around on Monday.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Filled the truck up and washed it for the first time since I've had it. Replaced a loose factory spring style hose clamp with a screw style clamp, been seeping coolant since I done the water pump, smells like it has stopped now lol. Went through and removed some add-on wiring that the previous owner left.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did the rear brakes on the Saab. Drove it to break them in and my left front was hot and smelly. I had a feeling the caliper was dragging. It went in fine with the c-clamp but it felt like it didn't release well. Will look for a replacement tomorrow (I don't have any spares since the part outs were older aluminum calipers. These are cast iron).

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Almost shot it. Got home from work last night and went to reverse into the driveway...no reverse. After wiping my arse, I did a bit of looking around and found the fluid was a bit low. Topped it up and reverse came back. I think I dodged a bullet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

BTW, there was no crunching and/or grinding, so I'm confident that nothing ate itself.

Also, out of curiosity, under the trans, what are the two rubber caps...I may have a leak, not 100% sure though.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Replaced my HID's with Lasfit LED's. So far, I'm liking them. Pretty good cut off line, but I had to mod one of the locking rings because the light wouldn't clock right.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Unboxed my Corolla LEDs and adjustable wattage HID kit. Those LED unit shrouds are huge, I hope I can make them fit. So the planned setup is new clear corner headlights, Corolla LED low beams, Profile adjustable wattage HID kit for high beams, JDM Astar switchback LED turn signal bulbs, generic white 194 park light bulbs and Novita LM486 flasher. Begin working on them as I get back Thursday.
IMG_20171119_112656.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Unboxed my Corolla LEDs and adjustable wattage HID kit. Those LED unit shrouds are huge, I hope I can make them fit. So the planned setup is new clear corner headlights, Corolla LED low beams, Profile adjustable wattage HID kit for high beams, JDM Astar switchback LED turn signal bulbs, generic white 194 park light bulbs and Novita LM486 flasher. Begin working on them as I get back Thursday.
View attachment 82407

This warms my heart :yes: I considered this retro for a while, but had several sets of projectors already on the shelf. :rolleyes: Hope you post your build progress in the members retro thread :thumbsup:

Reactions: xavierny25

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Will do. I have other projectors around but I just don't like the round look like the oval Envoy bezels. Plus it was perfect excuse to go LED.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Finally changed the oil. Was able to do it without having to lift the truck or put it on ramps, which I'll remember going forward. :lightbulb:

Collected my UOA sample and got it ready for mailing. Re-lubed one of the ball joints that didn't get a full dose a couple of weeks ago when I installed them.

Noticed that I had left off the rubber covers from the back of one of the headlamp modules when I changed out the bulbs recently. Reinstalled.

Tomorrow she'll get a free tire rotation and have the spare tire looked at.

After that, let the snow fly - she's ready!

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Ran HID wiring harness on Silverado and started to 6-hi mod it but botched the wiring for that as told elsewhere.

Next in line is tires, fog light housings (missing one when I bought it), and interior leds. Also looking into slicing and dicing the drl and turn/Park lamp sockets to make it into quad drl/quad switchback turn signals.

Reactions: Blckshdw

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
Got my cheapie Scosche dash cam installed to replace the other I had in it. Also got my adjustable wattage HID kit installed, new clear corner headlights, LED compatible electronic flasher, and switchbacks. I need to start see how I can shoehorn those LED projectors in.

IMG_20171126_073734.jpg IMG_20171126_085250.jpg IMG_20171125_192723.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Picked up a locking gas cap for $5 locally (it's the correct one, per Stant)

Not having a theft problem, but w/ a 25gal tank, no use tempting anyone.

(On edit: ) After removing the tether for the old one, and putting the new one in, the fuel door doesn't close flush with the body any longer. :duh:

Last edited:

Torker

Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
Gave it a good bath. Wiped all the jambs.

reedtchsrv

May 24, 2013
I put mine down today. It had taken enough of my nickels and dimes. After 14 beautiful years. RIP. Good luck everyone. I'm out.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I put mine down today.
Wondering if you held a tire / rim as the pentobarbital kicked in? :wink:

(for any who may have put down a cherished pet recently, I apologize for being insensitive)

As far as what I did to mine today...fixed my misfire (loose plug wire...whoop-de-doo...lol), and hit the engine with a blacklight - but no leak yet found. Will put the front on stands tomorrow and check the remaining areas, including the inside of the bellhousing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.