What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Yep... GAS MIG with solid wire, and a GOOD welder is THE way to do body sheetmetal. Cold tacks everywhere. You should be able to touch any part in the panel, including the tacks, 5 seconds after you do one. Just fill it up with cold tacks. There should not be a single "bead" of weld on the panel.

Also, I know you won't want to hear this, given that I'd guess you were looking at a $200 HF flux core welder, but good welders have better transformers in them, and weld MUCH better on light materials. A 220V welder will weld thin stuff better than a 110V welder, generally speaking, because the 110V welder is made as cheaply as possible and really only has good arc charactoristics at the high end of its range. If you just have to have 110V capability, get a Miller 211 , and use it with the 110V plug. Welders are REALLY a "buy once, cry once" thing. Good welders also ramp up the voltage and wire speed a LOT better than cheapo welders, so they tack weld a lot better.

I really like my 211, and the only reason I got a 252 is for duty cycle for the kind of production that I do.

Mike
Believe me, I do want to hear that. I considered the cheap flux a throw away. Something to learn on that I wouldnt be afraid to break. If I am going for the real deal, I am going to buy once and buy right.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
Road trip headed to Quakertown Pa.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 113

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Believe me, I do want to hear that. I considered the cheap flux a throw away. Something to learn on that I wouldnt be afraid to break. If I am going for the real deal, I am going to buy once and buy right.

Good! Then IMO, Miller 211...

Or for the stuff you would be doing, if you want to TIG weld some steel for nice, clean stuff, the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i is a MIG/Stick/DC-only TIG setup (meaning you can't TIG aluminum, but you can do steel and stainless) is a good one for the same price as a MM211 - http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/servlet/the-3810/Thermal-Arc-Fabricator-181i/Detail It's 180A, where the 211 is 210 amps, but it may not matter for the kind of stuff you'll likely be doing.

Thermal Arc, while you may or may not have heard of their welders, is a big company (Thermadyne), and are the makers of industry-standard Tweco MIG guns, as well as Thermal Dynamics plasma cutters, and a bunch of other brands of stuff... They do make quality stuff, and details are in the link, but before the end of the year, buy one of their welders, and they will give you a mail-in certificate for a free auto-darkening helmet.

Mike

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:
Running a test to prove myself right (or my wife wrong). I insist she is heavy on the right pedal, she doesnt think so. Reset my DIC (I know, I know...but without doing a full fillup it is the easiest way to get numbers. Plus, I imagine she would think i was fudging the numbers if i did my own math) on the way to my sisters last night. She lives very close to where my wife and I work, and i take the same route to get there as wifey takes to work. Reset the DIC when i pulled into the driveway last night. Today my wife is driving the TB and (unknowingly) is having her driving habits monitored. I will either update the group with the findings, or bow my head in shame and never speak of this again. Time will tell.

According to the DIC, her day of driving was 5mpg less than mine. not scientific by any means, but at least it is calculating both of us incorrectly.

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
smitty5150 said:

:iagree: I would like to learn myself, but damn I have no place to keep something like that. :yes:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:
According to the DIC, her day of driving was 5mpg less than mine. not scientific by any means, but at least it is calculating both of us incorrectly.

So did you tell her that? and if so, how was the couch?

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
SBUBandit said:

Good Questions! Good Questions! :crackup:

Nov 18, 2011
got the front door windows and the sunroof glass tinted...:wootwoot:

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Ms SilverBullet said:
got the front door windows and the sunroof glass tinted...:wootwoot:

Nice! :thumbsup: Any pics????:undecided:

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
SBUBandit said:

:rotfl:

so you DO know my wife. she shrugged it off and said i must have padded my stats. I told he I wasnt trying to prove anything, but just wanted her to know why my milage go to shat after she drives it. She is also notorious for leaving vehicles low on gas (light on low), so i just in to head somewhere and have to make an extra stop for gas.

I think this generally ties back to the "would this piss you off" thread. Her priorities are different than mine. When possible, I nurse the TB and try to optimize my milage. Gas isnt cheap and I am rarely in a hurry (leaving 5 minutes early saves me folding money). She doesnt care about milage as long as the AC works and the radio isnt set on NPR when she gets in.

I will stop and get her some flowers on the way home (I have to stop at the store for beer anyway).:thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Well got the map lights in the mail today. Deff nicer with these lights. Will see how much better they are at night :biggrin: Went from 4led to 6smd leds and for the cargo went from 8led to 12smd leds panel so its double the light and more then enough now :cool:

PhotoJun0830619PM.jpg

PhotoJun0831150PM.jpg

PhotoJun0831216PM.jpg

Also figured out how to get the glove box light out without breaking it lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:undecided: No side firing LEDs to make use of the reflectors? In that case, I hope they are bright enough that you don't need them :yes:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: No side firing LEDs to make use of the reflectors? In that case, I hope they are bright enough that you don't need them :yes:

no there just straight down...I kept the reflectors in just so I do not loose any light off the sides into nothing as you can see how there is a huge gap lol I never had a problem with no side leds to reflect off the reflectors. But during the day they seemed much brighter then what I had so I am assuming I should be fine when it lights up at night! :biggrin:

But those 5050 ones you told me to get light up the trunk like no other! Much happier with those then what I had. Now I can see more in the trunk lol

edit: Do you what I can look up for the vanity mirror lights?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
FINALLY Got my reverse LEDs, will add the money shot when the sun goes down :thumbsup:
IMAG0410.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ItsOnVoy said:
no there just straight down...I kept the reflectors in just so I do not loose any light off the sides into nothing as you can see how there is a huge gap lol I never had a problem with no side leds to reflect off the reflectors. But during the day they seemed much brighter then what I had so I am assuming I should be fine when it lights up at night! :biggrin:

But those 5050 ones you told me to get light up the trunk like no other! Much happier with those then what I had. Now I can see more in the trunk lol

edit: Do you what I can look up for the vintage mirror lights? (that is the right name for them right) If not then :redface::redface:

You mean the vanity mirror lights? :raspberry: I don't remember exactly which ones they are, since I don't have them. I know David (Decembersend) installed some in his, so you can hunt down his posts to see what he bought.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
You mean the vanity mirror lights? :raspberry: I don't remember exactly which ones they are, since I don't have them. I know David (Decembersend) installed some in his, so you can hunt down his posts to see what he bought.

loll yeah I remembered the right name after I posted it :duh: but will do thanks!

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ItsOnVoy said:
edit: Do you what I can look up for the vanity mirror lights?

Thanks for reminding me of this. It's one of those mods that I say I'm going to do but it always gets put on the backburner.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Thanks for reminding me of this. It's one of those mods that I say I'm going to do but it always gets put on the backburner.

Same here! I just don't know what to look up for them. Everything I find isn't for the envoy

guiltyimnot

Mar 25, 2012
Well. I pulled out the center console. Scrubbed it all clean. Broke the plastic clips that help hold the lid down. Then plasti dipped the whole thing. Looks a whole lot cleaner and will hopefully hide the dirt better. No pics tonight since it got dark. Will post a few tomorrow.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well i couldnt pass up this opportunity...

2012-06-08135929.jpg

i filled up the beaSSt for only $46 bucks :wootwoot: (she was a tad but under a 1/2 a tank)... today was a good day!

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
New AC Delco Iridium plugs and cleaned the throttle body. Runs as smooth as a baby's ass again w/ the A/C on and idling.

BTW, the NGK plugs that I pulled out that had 92K+ on them all looked very good.....they all had an even tan color on the porcelain. Could have re-gapped them and put them back in if I wanted to save some $$.

Checked the freon level in the system, and it's good to go.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ordered new hubs

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
MAY03LT said:
If you can confirm that the OEM bulbs are #37, then the same ones that decembersend used should work in yours.

Autolumination Instrument Panel Light Bulbs & Lamps) Look for Matrix II 5 led. AFAIK those are the only confirmed fit, at least in a TB.

IIRC, didn't he pull them because they ended up not working? I thought that was posted about on the OS.

Also replacing my front passengers hub....again. I got this one under warranty for nothing, so it's only going to cost me the time to replace it...easy job.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Matt said:
IIRC, didn't he pull them because they ended up not working? I thought that was posted about on the OS.

Ah crap. I just remember the pic with them on and thinking "I want that!!!!"

I'll send him a pm and see what the deal is.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
took it to the car wash, limited time avail today.
started talking w/ the guy that was behind me.
he had 03 swb ltz
told him about the site.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Short Bus said:
:lipsrsealed: Secret mod to be reveled @ the big meet, nothing big, but I gotta hold something back. If anyone guesses correctly I'll give you a free TrailVoy decal at the meet :crackup: If I remember to bring them I'll give you one just for asking, Then everyone will beat you down :raspberry:

The secret mod was tinted headlights (I know, I'm late posting them and didn't really talk about them at the meet)

DSC02210.jpg

DSC02209.jpg

And today I de-racked Short Bus

DSC02208.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did a few things. Replaced the cat and lobbed off the resonator. Also removed the roof rack. Unfortunately, this revealed rust at each of the mounting holes. Cleaned them up and put on some Rustoleum until I get the whole truck bodywork done and repainted. Also did the same for the bottom of the doors and the tailgate, which is a lost cause since it is rusted through.

Do you think my cat was due to be replaced? It didn't throw any codes but should help my MPG's.

Attachments

• 100_2816 (Large).jpg
    100_2816 (Large).jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 94

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
My cat was plugged so I lost power. After replacement the truck GOES! Did you have any symptoms to make you replace it? Did you lose power? Is it back now?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It does have a bit more oooomph and gets to 6000 rpm faster at wot. What I'm really looking for is an increase in MPG since it is a pig on gas.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Today, I finished de-badging the 'Hoe. (for now)...

2012-06-09_20-10-30_568.jpg

2012-06-09_20-51-07_890.jpg

And re-finished the 3rd brake light after chipping the paint...

2012-06-09_20-48-40_885.jpg

Now the 'Hoe looks almost as sexy as the SS. :twocents:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Thanks for the props guys :thumbsup: I'm still a little undecided about the rack.

jrSS said:
Looks great sam :thumbsup:

:iagree: I've always joked with Nancy (Mrs. Short Bus) if she gets a Tahoe, I will debadge the TA leaving her with HOE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rrachal

Members Online