What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Tried to get the OBD2 readers to work, was unsuccessful.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
MDBT said:
Tried to get the OBD2 readers to work, was unsuccessful.
Front fuse 13 OK?

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Sorry, should have elaborated. I can read codes (weren't any) and basic data but GM specific PIDs don't work.

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
Tomorrow I'm heading down to MAY03LT's :yes:

We are gonna do "The Big 3" to my truck, and also hook up the quad brake/dual turns :thumbsup:

(as I type this I realize it's NASCAR weekend in Dover and traffic is gonna be a :lipsrsealed: :eek: ------but oh well)

sorry I won't have access to a PC later on this wknd, so I wanted to make my contribution today

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Mark20 said:
With the LEDs dieing on the license plate bulbs I replaced them with the originals which I saved. Of course one decided to burn out. So back out there with a screwdriver to put a new one in. Need to order new LEDs.

Replaced the bulbs with LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. Looks about the same as the original LEDs. They sell quality products so these should last the life of the Voy though I will keep an eye on them.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
mikeinDE said:
Tomorrow I'm heading down to MAY03LT's :yes:

We are gonna do "The Big 3" to my truck, and also hook up the quad brake/dual turns :thumbsup:

(as I type this I realize it's NASCAR weekend in Dover and traffic is gonna be a :lipsrsealed: :eek: ------but oh well)

sorry I won't have access to a PC later on this wknd, so I wanted to make my contribution today

Well I guess I can post what I did to someone elses GMT today. Finished Mikes quad protoharness v2 this morning. I'm happy with the way that they turned out. Thanks to my man blckshdw for the tip on soldering the crimps.

Also, we're going to disconnect the battery in Mikes TB without even sweating an hvac actuator issue. I'll have the deets tomorrow:cool:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Cleaned the engine in preparation to change the alt, t-stat, temp sending unit, hoses and Dexcool.

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
Installed led dome lights, stainless steel door handle covers, and cleaned her up a little bit.View attachment 21209t!

Attachments

• IMG_20120602_162235.jpg
    IMG_20120602_162235.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20120602_162442.jpg
    IMG_20120602_162442.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 23

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I broke him.

David B.

Dec 5, 2011
Ok, so it was actually Thursday- but got it tuned by @ScarabEpic22. Like a whole new car, I tell ya, he kills it!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Painted my chevy emblem black. Oem chevy badges suck. Cheap and look like shit in no time. I just threw a band aid on it. Looks pretty good tho.
ad6f867a-cadb-933b.jpg

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
had check engine light come on last night , checked codes , got code for vvt solenoid and random misfire..... so today i went ordered the vvt solenoid and got new plugs , changed plugs found oil on 5 and 6 cleaned t body then found i had a dead # 5 coil , replaced coil and then installed custom cold air intake taken from my civic runs like a champ now :thumbsup:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Finally installed an amateur radio in the Silverado. Have had the antenna on a stake pocket mount for at least a month. (Didn't help that the radio needed a little fixing first.) Its an Icom IC-706MKIIG HF/VHF/UHF rig. Now I need to get an antenna mounted for high frequency (short wave) operating.

Radio body hiding behind rear seats.
View attachment 21219

Control head (though its a little too high - need to work on that).
View attachment 21220

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Friday I loaded it from the front seats back full of electronic and computer junk and hauled it from my work to the recyclers. Made my coworkers happy to have room in the back of the office again, and it is nice to be able to haul stuff again too :biggrin:

I've noticed that my radio hasn't cut out ever since I replaced the TCCM and got it back on the road. Makes me wonder if the old borked TCCM was putting garbage on the data bus and confusing the GMRC adapter for my head unit :confused: I'm not complaining if that's the case. Seems weird, but then these interconnected "smart" modules all over the place can cause some strange things to happen when one acts up.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
BO TIE SS said:
Can you elaborate?

The Badlands got the best of my truck today. Among the damage list is the rear drive shaft, both lower control arms, and my front differential! It looks like bigger and stronger parts will be in my future!

I found the aprox 3 inches of vulnerable area where the control arms and drive shaft drop below the protection of the frame. I sat the entire rear on a large chunk of concrete that has been added to the top of a rock garden that we usually play in. The outcome was a broken rear drive shaft and damaged rear diff, and bent both lower control arms. We then spooled out BartonMD's winch to pull me out the last 10 feet. I was assisting the winch a bit by crawling under front wheel power and my front diff made a few strange noises and the gears decided they wanted to be in multiple pieces.

The good news for all of this is that I have the majority of the parts as well. I am borrowing a set of lower control arms from Kyle until I buy a new rear axle (SS rear axle, 4.10 gears, rear locker). It will also mean that my truck will get a newly rebuilt engine sooner then I was planning. I was really hoping to see 300k miles, but the need for 4x4 is greater then that hope. It just makes sense that I do both at the same time just to make my life a bit easier.

Who wants to help me rebuild an engine?

Thanks a bunch to Bartonmd for the use of his truck and securing the trailer! Also thanks a bunch to Wink for babysitting the 3 20yr olds that I had riding along!!! They had a great time with you.

2012-06-03211555.jpg

2012-06-03211610.jpg

2012-06-03211621.jpg

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
New alternator, t-stat, temp sensor, Dex-cool and silicone upper and lower radiator hoses from Jetttstream.

And I'm not ashamed to say my ass is dragging right now.

The outlet of the t-stat was slightly bigger than the I.D. of the hose and that silicone does not like to stretch. I had to remove the t-stat and clamp it in a vice to get the hose on.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I ran it into the car shade! Stupid wind brought down the shade. I'm driving back for lunch with 42 degrees celsius and barely functioning! Didn't see the damn thing and ran into the post!

Cracked open my winsheild and bent the roof top! Ouch :sadcry:

35c885ff.jpg

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Regulator said:
The Badlands got the best of my truck today. Among the damage list is the rear drive shaft, both lower control arms, and my front differential! It looks like bigger and stronger parts will be in my future!

I found the aprox 3 inches of vulnerable area where the control arms and drive shaft drop below the protection of the frame. I sat the entire rear on a large chunk of concrete that has been added to the top of a rock garden that we usually play in. The outcome was a broken rear drive shaft and damaged rear diff, and bent both lower control arms. We then spooled out BartonMD's winch to pull me out the last 10 feet. I was assisting the winch a bit by crawling under front wheel power and my front diff made a few strange noises and the gears decided they wanted to be in multiple pieces.

The good news for all of this is that I have the majority of the parts as well. I am borrowing a set of lower control arms from Kyle until I buy a new rear axle (SS rear axle, 4.10 gears, rear locker). It will also mean that my truck will get a newly rebuilt engine sooner then I was planning. I was really hoping to see 300k miles, but the need for 4x4 is greater then that hope. It just makes sense that I do both at the same time just to make my life a bit easier.

Thanks a bunch to Bartonmd for the use of his truck and securing the trailer! Also thanks a bunch to Wink for babysitting the 3 20yr olds that I had riding along!!! They had a great time with you.

2012-06-03211555.jpg

2012-06-03211610.jpg

2012-06-03211621.jpg

Its too bad that parts truck didn't come with the 5.3. Lol. That'd be sweet. But hey least u have the spare 4.2. We need another mini meet sometime.

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Ordered my roll pan. Picking up a welder this week so I can start on my body mods and repair.

You buying the welder or just borrowing one? :undecided:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i installed 2 12" led strips in my fathers '06 Colorado's foot wells... i fabbed up my own 194 bulb base with leads so i could just plug them into his existing foot well lights sockets, instead of running a switch, or tapping into the foot well light wires... i went this route beacuse he might forget that they are on in the daylight or something, and then come out to a dead battery.. he's happy with them... so thats all that matters to me...

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Regulator said:

2012-06-03211555.jpg

2012-06-03211610.jpg

2012-06-03211621.jpg
ouch_STATIC.png

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Buying, sir. It's Omg going to be a 120v flux welder. More than enough for sheet metal. Good enough to learn with.

Its pretty easy once you get the settings rite. Just listen for the sizzling bacon.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Buying, sir. It's Omg going to be a 120v flux welder. More than enough for sheet metal. Good enough to learn with.

Wait.. Sheetmetal??? You mean like 1/8" or 3/16" to make stuff out of, not body sheetmetal, right? Don't even try doing bodywork on thin sheetmetal with flux core!

Mike

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Wait.. Sheetmetal??? You mean like 1/8" or 3/16" to make stuff out of, not body sheetmetal, right? Don't even try doing bodywork on thin sheetmetal with flux core!

Mike

Good catch, I didnt even read that lol.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I picked up the beaSSt from the dealership... no oil leaks so far...

6b32efd2-25e1-f3dd.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
CdnGMan said:
Good news man.. did they say what the cause of the leak was?? :undecided:

PS. Try not to break her again... :tongue:

Oil pan gasket... they reused my old gasket on the new motor.. so it didn't last lol... the new crate motors don't come with oil pan I guess..

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
My TB is in parts once again. Just adding some orange to the outside now.:crazy:

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_13-02-06_676.jpg
    2012-06-04_13-02-06_676.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2012-06-04_13-02-23_888.jpg
    2012-06-04_13-02-23_888.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 15
  • 2012-06-04_13-02-37_296.jpg
    2012-06-04_13-02-37_296.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2012-06-04_15-26-42_484.jpg
    2012-06-04_15-26-42_484.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 13

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
Went to visit MAY03LT on Sunday, (sorry been away from the PC all wknd but wanted to throw this in), We did the Quad Brakes, Dual Turns, and just opted to do 2 out of the BIG 3, and got rid of my rear headrests.....

I think BIG BLACK is gonna be a star on May's youtube series.

Big props to Andrew, :thumbsup: he is all about QUALITY and made sure everything was done to perfection!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Oil pan gasket... they reused my old gasket on the new motor.. so it didn't last lol... the new crate motors don't come with oil pan I guess..

Oh that's easy enough. Dumb IMO to try to reuse that gasket but oh well.

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
smitty5150 said:

Sweet! :thumbsup:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
FlyingFischer said:
My TB is in parts once again. Just adding some orange to the outside now.:crazy:

I'll wait 'til I see the finished pics, but I'm thinking....NO!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rrachal

Members Online