What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
07ChevyTruck said:
It looks easy to put on, but how will it be to remove? :undecided:

Did you look into the lebra cover for TB. I'm about to get one soon bugs & road debris are messing up my front end.

Oops wrong quote lol

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
TexazReece said:
Did you look into the lebra cover for TB. I'm about to get one soon bugs & road debris are messing up my front end.

Oops wrong quote lol

I've never had a bra on the TB, however my past experience with several car bras has been that Colgan brand bras fit way better. I have been very impressed with Colgan

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well, one of my many surprises for the Midwest meet this Saturday fell through... so I'll post what i was doing today, or planned on doing for lack there of lol... with all the meets we have here in Ohio, everyone knows what my truck looks like, so i wanted to shake things up and surprise the fellow ohioans... but FAIL!!! :rotfl:

Smoke Plasti Dip finally came out in mid April... so i thought I'd give it a try since im looking for the gunmetal grey look... epic failure!!!.. that smoke color is so translucent, you can barely tell its on there, and it barely tints the surface the color you want.. it says that the more coats you apply,the darler the "smoke" color becomes.. all the way until you reach a charcol color... well they failed on that... i had 6 coats on one wheel, and you could still see my centercap bowtie through the Plasti Dip... on top of that, unless i had 3 defective cans, the smoke color comes out very blotchy, and drips from the tip due to build up... you'll see the spots on the one rim... you be the judge in the pix..

but no worries my midwest peeps.. there will still be surprises for the beaSSt when i show up :lipsrsealed:

getting ready
2012-05-16093917.jpg

first coat applied...
2012-05-16115134.jpg

see the blotchyness...
2012-05-16134326.jpg

and see the difference... i peeled some off so you can see that its not much different... this is 6 coats...
2012-05-16134605.jpg

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
and see the difference... i peeled some off so you can see that its not much different... this is 6 coats...
2012-05-16134605.jpg

When you see it side-by-side, the wheels just look dirty with the "smoke" look.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, not impressed at all with it... oh well.. cheap experiement... wish i had a silver or black SS, then i Plasti Dip the wheels Black :rotfl:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Short Bus said:
You're what 3'2"? How in the Sam Hill did you trip on Phantom?

I'm 4'9 :raspberry:

My flip flop caught his tire, and I fell on my face. So when I got up and got my flip flop back I kicked him...not realizing through my rage and humiliation that I had flip flops on...I screwed up my pedicure when I kicked his rim.

I hurt my toe too....but the toe was free, I paid a lot of $$ for the pedicure :biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
yea, not impressed at all with it... oh well.. cheap experiement... wish i had a silver or black SS, then i Plasti Dip the wheels Black :rotfl:

I think black will looks really good with your truck! Some black rims :yes: I say try it out :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
ItsOnVoy said:
I think black will looks really good with your truck! Some black rims :yes: I say try it out :thumbsup:

Hmmm.. I'm not so sure.. its a toss up tho... here's a friends off of ssowners... I just don't know..

48a083f1-6dc8-9a17.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Hmmm.. I'm not so sure.. its a toss up tho... here's a friends off of ssowners... I just don't know..

48a083f1-6dc8-9a17.jpg

It really is a toss up not gonna lie...to me it looks good both ways but if you do black I am the kind of person who looks for gloss you know, on ss rims the gloss really makes them pop when you do black also.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Dont like the blue with black wheels

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Finally got my new running boards! Teaser pictures for now, will post more pix in my mods page after getting a wash

Yes without them looks way better but just can't for now. The new ones r much closer to the body which I like

701314ea.jpg

3fec3cca.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
well, one of my many surprises for the Midwest meet this Saturday fell through... so I'll post what i was doing today, or planned on doing for lack there of lol... with all the meets we have here in Ohio, everyone knows what my truck looks like, so i wanted to shake things up and surprise the fellow ohioans... but FAIL!!! :rotfl:

Smoke Plasti Dip finally came out in mid April... so i thought I'd give it a try since im looking for the gunmetal grey look... epic failure!!!.. that smoke color is so translucent, you can barely tell its on there, and it barely tints the surface the color you want.. it says that the more coats you apply,the darler the "smoke" color becomes.. all the way until you reach a charcol color... well they failed on that... i had 6 coats on one wheel, and you could still see my centercap bowtie through the Plasti Dip... on top of that, unless i had 3 defective cans, the smoke color comes out very blotchy, and drips from the tip due to build up... you'll see the spots on the one rim... you be the judge in the pix..

but no worries my midwest peeps.. there will still be surprises for the beaSSt when i show up :lipsrsealed:

getting ready
2012-05-16093917.jpg

first coat applied...
2012-05-16115134.jpg

see the blotchyness...
2012-05-16134326.jpg

2012-05-16134605.jpg

How long did you shake the can? Maybe it needed mixed better.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Dont like black wheels

I fixed your post Kyle

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Plastidipping it might go a little bit faster though....

:undecided: Now to figure out how to get everyone to talk Mike into attending out of state meets... :biggrin:

07ChevyTruck said:
Pardon the thread hijack, but an offer of a good looking female hooker might help. :undecided::biggrin:

I hear Florida has some nice looking college girls, that might be enough motivation :biggrin:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Boricua SS said:
...but no worries my midwest peeps.. there will still be surprises for the beaSSt when i show up :lipsrsealed:

You found some new locations for LEDs? :biggrin: Nice!! :raspberry:

Voymom said:
I'm 4'9 :raspberry: ... and I fell on my face...

Look on the bright side, at least you didn't have far to fall! :dielaugh:

07 TB RIDER said:
I hear Florida has some nice looking college girls, that might be enough motivation :biggrin:

:rotfl: The beach does too. :yes: You make that drive, we'll make sure to get you plenty of eye candy. Might make you forget about having all that painter's tape on the front of your truck!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Short Bus said:
How long did you shake the can? Maybe it needed mixed better.

Well, its a rubberized coating in a rattle can.. as my brother told me, rubberized undercoating and the like, doesn't optimize as well as paint does... so, out come blothces... really nothing you can do.. its just with the lighter colors and a grander scale, you see the blemishes more compared to the black Plasti dip..

rppoit

Apr 11, 2012

Attachments

• 111_0698.jpg
    111_0698.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 111_0699.jpg
    111_0699.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 111_0701.jpg
    111_0701.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 111_0702.jpg
    111_0702.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 111_0703.jpg
    111_0703.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 111_0705.jpg
    111_0705.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 111_0706.jpg
    111_0706.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 111_0707.jpg
    111_0707.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 15

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
rppoit said:
well had some extra time so I decided to paint all my exterior trim.

Very nice work, big improvement over the gray rubbermaid look

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
rppoit said:
well had some extra time so I decided to paint all my exterior trim.

I need to do this to mine, these pics just reinforces that. Nice work! :thumbsup:

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
SBUBandit said:
Very nice work, big improvement over the gray rubbermaid look

I totally agree... it makes a huge difference IMO...

Blckshdw said:
I need to do this to mine, these pics just reinforces that. Nice work! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind doing that to my running boards actually...
I'd just be concerned about how slippery they'd be when wet - the last thing I need is for the Missus to wipe out getting in / out of Canyonaro... :no:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
CdnGMan said:
I wouldn't mind doing that to my running boards actually...
I'd just be concerned about how slippery they'd be when wet - the last thing I need is for the Missus to wipe out getting in / out of Canyonaro... :no:

I wouldn't think it would be much more slippery than they already are, since they are plastic, and not rubber. If anything, I think the paint would take more of a beating due to being stepped on and maybe be more prone to chipping or flaking off.

What you could do is take the boards off and coat them with bedliner instead of paint. Be more durable, and the texture of it would give a better foothold maybe? :undecided:

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
rppoit - Nice Job! :thumbsup:When I painted some interior trim I used Kyrlon's fusion paint. So I was wondering what paint did you use? :undecided:

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
Blckshdw said:
What you could do is take the boards off and coat them with bedliner instead of paint. Be more durable, and the texture of it would give a better foothold maybe? :undecided:

That's actually not a bad idea... and seeing as how Stef will have the front end up installing the safari bar, taking the running boards off to coat them shouldn't be a problem... :undecided:
I'm liking that idea! Now to price out that bedliner kit... LOL! :thumbsup:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
CdnGMan said:
That's actually not a bad idea... and seeing as how Stef will have the front end up installing the safari bar, taking the running boards off to coat them shouldn't be a problem... :undecided:
I'm liking that idea! Now to price out that bedliner kit... LOL! :thumbsup:

You can buy it in spray cans at Walmart. Can't remember exactly how much they were but no more than like 10-12 bucks a can. You'll probably need 3 cans or so to do a few coats on the running boards. Just be sure to go in several light coats, that allows the texture to build up better for better grip. Stuff is pretty durable, and if you chip it off, you just respray that area lightly.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
SBUBandit said:
You can buy it in spray cans at Walmart. Can't remember exactly how much they were but no more than like 10-12 bucks a can. You'll probably need 3 cans or so to do a few coats on the running boards. Just be sure to go in several light coats, that allows the texture to build up better for better grip. Stuff is pretty durable, and if you chip it off, you just respray that area lightly.

Which stuff is durable? I have tried a couple kinds and none of the spray cans seem to be worth a shit. I definitely would not use it on somethng I stepped on. The duplicolor was ok for a little bit but on a bumper that was not stepped on or rubbed against it still did not really hold up. I know tons of jeep guys that would love a decent spray bedliner for fenders n such but even they have not found anything, but the Raptor kit that is 100 bucks, to be decent.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Which stuff is durable? I have tried a couple kinds and none of the spray cans seem to be worth a shit. I definitely would not use it on somethng I stepped on. The duplicolor was ok for a little bit but on a bumper that was not stepped on or rubbed against it still did not really hold up. I know tons of jeep guys that would love a decent spray bedliner for fenders n such but even they have not found anything, but the Raptor kit that is 100 bucks, to be decent.

I think the Duplicolor is what I used. My use was on my dead pedal in the TB. Has held up well for me, but my foot just sets on it everywhere I go 6 months out of the year. The Husky liners cover it in the winter, but no wear at all on the dead pedals after 3 years. If I was going to pay 100+ to do it, I'd check with a place that does Rhino lining. Some of those places offer warranties where they'll respray it if it wears.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
SBUBandit said:
I think the Duplicolor is what I used. My use was on my dead pedal in the TB. Has held up well for me, but my foot just sets on it everywhere I go 6 months out of the year. The Husky liners cover it in the winter, but no wear at all on the dead pedals after 3 years. If I was going to pay 100+ to do it, I'd check with a place that does Rhino lining. Some of those places offer warranties where they'll respray it if it wears.

You had far better luck than me or any buddies. My one buddy bought a full case of Duplicolor to do his tube poison spyder tube fenders and after redoing them a couple times in 6 months, he sprung for powdercoating.

The Raptor is cheap at 100...will do a jeep tub, but Rhino lining or similar place is 500 plus to do it. A truck bed is about 500. Exterior of a TB sized vehicle, full cover, is 2000 or so. Shops are not cheap even with the usually limited warranties they offer.

BayWolf

Apr 18, 2012
MS
I replaced a faulty temperature actuator on the rear AC in the EXT last night. One tooth on one of the gears inside the old one had broken off, causing the irritating clacking at startup.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Well...Went dress shopping(having a wedding ceremony in October) then decided to drop by the ONLY car detailing shop in town to see what it would cost for an entire exterior work over. Well.....They won't touch my truck lol I guess the clear coat issues and paint issues scared them to much. They referred me to a guy here in town that does a lot of auto painting, and he basically assaulted my pocket book.

He wants over $10k to paint and clear coat the entire truck, and about $3k for 2 doors, 2 fenders and 2 bumpers.....

I left in a hurry, and have been thinking of picking up a few extra dozen cans of black spray paint and clear coat :undecided:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
...he basically assaulted my pocket book.

He wants over $10k to paint and clear coat the entire truck, and about $3k for 2 doors, 2 fenders and 2 bumpers.....

He did not assault your pocket book, he insulted your intelligence.

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:

I left in a hurry, and have been thinking of picking up a few extra dozen cans of black spray paint and clear coat :undecided:

Short Bus said:
He did not assault your pocket book, he insulted your intelligence.

I think he did both. :eek:

I would have been running as if I was on fire. :eek:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Just wondering, what were you expecting to pay? One of my friends used to work at a body shop and now sprays cars at his house and told me he'd do my truck black with pearl for 3500 and that's deals. I talked to a shop down here that does good work and they told me just to respray my truck black, starting 5k and can go up depending on if I want extra clear, custom colors, etc. If your truck has clear peeling, they have to do a lot more work just to get the panels prepped for paint. I'm not saying this guy wasn't trying to rip you off, just wondering what you were expecting to pay.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
fr34kout said:
Just wondering, what were you expecting to pay? One of my friends used to work at a body shop and now sprays cars at his house and told me he'd do my truck black with pearl for 3500 and that's deals. I talked to a shop down here that does good work and they told me just to respray my truck black, starting 5k and can go up depending on if I want extra clear, custom colors, etc. If your truck has clear peeling, they have to do a lot more work just to get the panels prepped for paint. I'm not saying this guy wasn't trying to rip you off, just wondering what you were expecting to pay.

A buddy of mine went to a different paint shop, which I have a quote appointment for next week. But for his s-10 he paid $1100.00 for extensive body rust repair, and an entire new paint job(non stock color, and entire truck+hard bed cover). So, I was NOT expecting to pay 10k+ for a new paint job.

And yes, I ran as if my ass were on fire lmao

On a second note, does Phantom even deserve a new paint jo for tripping me yesterday?? :undecided: :biggrin:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
led switchbacks i put in. but unfortunately have to buy new ones. i did not realize these (when headlights/running lights are on stay white and blink amber) I wanted the Amber off amber off blinking led switchbacks :no:
View attachment 20872just running light mode
View attachment 20873running light mod with other lights

Attachments

• corners1.jpg
    corners1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 18
  • corners2.jpg
    corners2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 16

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ConeKilrAutoX said:
led switchbacks i put in. but unfortunately have to buy new ones. i did not realize these (when headlights/running lights are on stay white and blink amber) I wanted the Amber off amber off blinking led switchbacks :no:

That sucks you got the wrong style, where'd you get em from? Can you exchange em? If not, you can probably sell em to another member down the road and make some of that money back.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Blckshdw said:
That sucks you got the wrong style, where'd you get em from? Can you exchange em? If not, you can probably sell em to another member down the road and make some of that money back.

I just got them from a buddy of a guy i worked with. Lol i might just give them back and order better ones

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Picked up rear bumper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I290

Members Online

No members online now.