What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Matt said:
Ummm, WTF? :eek:

Dropping an LS2 into it, I decided to go for the sleeper look.

:raspberry: Truth is that is the parts truck that i purchased a while back, been working on stripping it down for the last month or so.

Blckshdw said:
What? He's changing his motor mounts... :rotfl:

That is the correct way to do it, right?

SBUBandit said:
How often are you changing the filter?

filter is a 25k filter so I have not changed it yet. When I get the analsys back I will see what they say. As soon as this oil is in need of change I will be installing my by-pass filter. Once the by-pass is installed I will change the EA0 filter @ 25k, and the by-pass filter every other filter change or 60k which ever comes first.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
A little customizing to my dash. :cool:

Attachments

• 477398_10151136057621164_643976163_13238856_758755234_o.jpg
    477398_10151136057621164_643976163_13238856_758755234_o.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 29

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
FlyingFischer said:
A little customizing to my dash. :cool:

Looks good, what is going on with the roof line? Is that a scan gauge that I see custom molded in? What are the plans in the center there where the Styrofoam is?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Regulator said:

Ah, such fond memories of last summer. Looks like you pulled the whole front end off. Did it make it any easier? What about pulling it with the tranny? I left the tranny in so I had to be a mega-contortionist to get the bellhousing bolts.

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
Regulator said:
Looks good, what is going on with the roof line? Is that a scan gauge that I see custom molded in? What are the plans in the center there where the Styrofoam is?

Yes that is a scangauge in a custom overhead console i made a couple years back. I can post up a pic of it if you want. Has the scangauge, 3 switches for my off road lights and a dome light built in.:cool:

And I am making a fiberglass mount for my tablet. The foam is just something i used for a mold. Much easier to form then wood or metal.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Mooseman said:
Ah, such fond memories of last summer. Looks like you pulled the whole front end off. Did it make it any easier? What about pulling it with the tranny? I left the tranny in so I had to be a mega-contortionist to get the bellhousing bolts.

The truck was a front end total so most of it went into the trash or to the scrap yard. I did drop the transfer case and the transmission from under the truck before pulling the engine. All in all it was pretty simple. This was the first time I have done any of this and still managed to do it all on my own. This was all done in my two car garage with the truck on jack stands, pretty good if I do say so myself.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
finally bought some rims after debating back and forth on which rims to get. I got the 17's American Trench in Chrome (Though preferred in Silver Polished, they aren't available anymore). They bolted on just perfect and loving the new offset. She still needs new Running boards so that's coming next week, and I need to demold now. The chrome is too shiny and the side moldings are even uglier now! I also need to clean up the headlights & fog lights. Eh these rims just opened up new mods and adding things to the to do list :crazy:

aa6983de.jpg

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
fadyasha said:
finally bought some rims after debating back and forth on which rims to get. I got the 17's American Trench in Chrome (Though preferred in Silver Polished, they aren't available anymore). They bolted on just perfect and loving the new offset. She still needs new Running boards so that's coming next week, and I need to demold now. The chrome is too shiny and the side moldings are even uglier now! I also need to clean up the headlights & fog lights. Eh these rims just opened up new mods and adding things to the to do list :crazy:

aa6983de.jpg

Just pull them off, don't bother with fish line and goo gone etc. You pull them off and they come off clean and the tape left behind will come off very easy with your finger!

Looks better man! Maybe some chrome side views and door handles to match? :undecided: You can do just the top of the door handle chrome and the bottom stays colored

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
ItsOnVoy said:
Just pull them off, don't bother with fish line and goo gone etc. You pull them off and they come off clean and the tape left behind will come off very easy with your finger!

Looks better man! Maybe some chrome side views and door handles to match? :undecided: You can do just the top of the door handle chrome and the bottom stays colored

:iagree: All I know is that I'd love to get my hands on that bush bar he's got on the front of his ride... :yes:
I've never seen anything like that before... :undecided:

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Had the truck out for ride last night and everything is running just fine. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
CdnGMan said:
:iagree: All I know is that I'd love to get my hands on that bush bar he's got on the front of his ride... :yes:
I've never seen anything like that before... :undecided:

They're all over ebay.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
changed transmission filter, pan, bolts, fluid and gasket.
ordered LED switchbacks for the front turn signal/running lights, LED back up lights, and load resistors for all.
Should be a great week ahead!

You only need resistors for the turns

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Did some troubleshooting and determined my TCCM died. Makes sense and an easy fix, just need to get a replacement. But now I really want to do it sooner rather than later because my troubleshooting resulted in the "service 4x4" light to come on and it is rather annoying :crazy:

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
Some more teaser pics of my tablet mount. Hopefully it be done by next weekend and our NW meet.

Attachments

• 2012-05-09_15-58-23_883.jpg
    2012-05-09_15-58-23_883.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2012-05-09_15-58-02_647.jpg
    2012-05-09_15-58-02_647.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2012-05-09_15-57-30_673.jpg
    2012-05-09_15-57-30_673.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 13

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Got my radiator skid installed today, Crappy Iphone pictures, batterys need to be charged in the D40. Headlights were removed to make it easier to go to the bolts that held on the air dam, They have since been removed

524872_10151647199450581_538440580_24137837_736871689_n.jpg

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Me007gold - Looks like it turned out good. Now go charge the phone. :thumbsup:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Yesterday- My water pump started making noise, decided to grab a new water pump and change it out. Got the "Special" wrench set rented for $80.00 bucks only to find out after the damn parts store closed that it was the wrong wrench set. So 30 minutes later we had to use pipe wrench to loosen the fan clutch bolt. After that was done, it took us about 5 minutes to remove the entire fan and shroud. 10 minutes after that, got the water pump out. Found that the knocking noise was in fact the outer bearing, lots of wiggling and lots of noise when moved by hand, while the new pumps outer bearing had no movement to it.

Went to put the bolts in the new water pump....and SNAP! Broke a damn bolt in the block. The bolt is in there about 1/2 an inch. Hubby decided to remove the rest of the bolts to take the water pump off to get a better look...and as he was loosening the bolts....SNAP! Another damned bolt broke in the engine block, this time it was flush.

After a few hours of whining and complaining, cursing and throwing. We located a free bolt extractor(Easy Out) from a friend of ours, but while hubby was inside doing a bit of research, he said that the flush bolt had some movement. So I mentioned using some tweezers. With about 10 minutes worth of slow, aggravating work, with a pair of tweezers and a very itty bitty flat head screw driver, the bolt came free! So, that only leaves 1 headache instead of 2. Unless of course the easy out decides to snap inside the engine block too, which in that case, I will happily have the truck towed to the dealership in which we bought it, dropped off and forgotten about. Along with the towing bill, water pump bill and whatever else we have had to shell out on this thing. With of course a very lovely letter to GM. I love this truck, but dammit I hate it all at the same time!

TODAY- After reading several forums, posts, articles, threads, and youtube video's. We discovered that the easy out had a bad reputation for also breaking during removal of a broken bolt. That scared the shit out of me. So hubby is out getting a left hand drill bit, returning the wrong wrench set we rented for $80 bucks, and then he will be home to remove the radiator(so he can see the bolt better) and attempting to remove this stupid thing from the block. He will also be getting new bolts for the water pump.

I however....am running on about 45 minutes of sleep, so I will be taking a nap all the while he is outside attempting to destroy my baby.

I am so unhappy with how GM has made some...well most of their parts. Aluminum bolts!?!?! come on now! Someone said a metal bolt will have a chemical reaction with the aluminum block, which is why GM used aluminum bolts. At this point I could careless, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to talk to a GM rep right about now, and tell them exactly how I feel. Which would probably end up in a huge apology on my end, because I love this truck so damn much, that even though right now I could set it on fire and roll it down a hill, I couldn't imagine not having this vehicle in my life. So the love hate relationship will continue...for now. I am going to go take that nap while I can. Maybe I will have some good news when I wake up. If not, you may see me on the side of a milk carton. :crazy:

EDIT- 5 minutes after posting this....the broken bolt is OUT!!!! Without any further complications. It took a left hand drill bit, hand drill, and lots of slow turning and patience. I get to go to the meet tomorrow after all! And didn't need to remove the radiator!

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Woke up, went to wash the TB then drove to the post office to go pick up my new iPhone case that I had made.

bbb.jpg

bb.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
07 TB RIDER said:
Woke up, went to wash the TB then drove to the post office to go pick up my new iPhone case that I had made.

:undecided: :squint:... and the LEDs go where exactly? :raspberry:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: :squint:... and the LEDs go where exactly? :raspberry:

I'm waiting for this guy Carlton I know to come up with that :tongue:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
07 TB RIDER said:
I'm waiting for this guy Carlton I know to come up with that :tongue:

That's easy, put them everywhere!! "Throw some SMDs on that bitch!!" then dunk it in some clear silicone to have a nice protective layer (and prevent shorts). Then you'd have a new phone, the iPhone LED! :biggrin: :cool:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Blckshdw said:
That's easy, put them everywhere!! "Throw some SMDs on that bitch!!" then dunk it in some clear silicone to have a nice protective layer (and prevent shorts). Then you'd have a new phone, the iPhone LED! :biggrin: :cool:

If Carlton had an iPhone

[video=youtube_share;t9ZLbJQDWIk]http://youtu.be/t9ZLbJQDWIk[/video]

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
I am so unhappy with how GM has made some...well most of their parts. Aluminum bolts!?!?! come on now! Someone said a metal bolt will have a chemical reaction with the aluminum block, which is why GM used aluminum bolts. At this point I could careless, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to talk to a GM rep right about now, and tell them exactly how I feel. Which would probably end up in a huge apology on my end, because I love this truck so damn much, that even though right now I could set it on fire and roll it down a hill, I couldn't imagine not having this vehicle in my life.

I have had my water pump in and out 4 times with the factory bolts and not a single issue....

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Broke it.

Hit a crater or something in the road that knocked my front end out of alignment and busted the upper rear passenger trailing arm on my axle, while I was accelerating passing a truck. It jerked to the side real hard when it happened and I came pretty darn close to sideswiping that truck.

Dang it!!

Hopefully the front end alignment issue is just that, alignment, and not something bent. But with a busted rear trailing arm I'm worried a little bit :worried: I have to drive with the steering wheel cocked to the side to go straight, though it doesn't pull at all.

I should have kept the spare rear arms from when I upgraded the rear axle last fall. That would have been the smart thing to do.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I have had my water pump in and out 4 times with the factory bolts and not a single issue....

It was pretty ridiculous. The bolts had a lot of spin left to be tightened, it wasn't seized or threaded wrong, they just snapped. They were loose in the block which helped a lot too when getting them out. But still nerve wracking. We used a torque wrench and followed the bolt specs in my Chilton repair manual.

And you know, you might have just jinxed yourself Although I hope not, I don't wish this on anyone.

imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

IMG_20120511_091125.jpg

IMG_20120511_111640.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
Broke it.

I should have kept the spare rear arms from when I upgraded the rear axle last fall. That would have been the smart thing to do.

I may have one. Will take a look this weekend.

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
Took the tint off my front 3 windows :frown: :sadcry: Also, installed the speakers from infamous. Nice to know all 4 are working now :biggrin:

03TB93

Mar 25, 2012
Me007gold said:
Why did you have to remove the tint? 35% is legal in Maryland isnt it?

Ya sorry my signature is wrong, i meant to chage that. i actually had 16% tint on the front 3. and you cant have any on the windsheild.. so i was baisiaccaly asking to get pulled over :duh: but im gonna get the driver/ pass re done in 35%.
Sorry bout the confusion, but your right, 35% is legal. I think the windsheild is what got me pulled over(2 days in a row):hissyfit:
Live and learn i guess. :undecided: haha

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Da Missus loaded the Voy with more gardening stuff. Flowers, soil, manure, and mulch. Left the heavy stuff for me to remove! :biggrin:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:no: FAIL!! You guys should know better by now... It would have to be blue...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Oh dang!! I have an iPhone :biggrin::2thumbsup: and its white lights! Win win lol

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:no: FAIL!! You guys should know better by now... It would have to be blue...

Ask and you shall receive...

[video=youtube_share;QIiDDjRmwQk]http://youtu.be/QIiDDjRmwQk[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I290

Members Online