Status
Not open for further replies.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ConeKilrAutoX said:
hahahaha
it is worth every dollar to do.

hardest part was just planning to use h1 bulb with projectors and wiring the cut off plate activation solenoid.

:eyebrowhuh: Wiring is the easy part!! Coming up with funds for all the ideas rattling around in my head is the hard part :deal:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Drove it for the past few days again. No issues aside from the whining pulley still, but I haven't had the time to delve into it yet. Aside from that it's been running like a top and needed nothing for quite some time now.

Until today :frown:

I made a quick turn onto my road on the way back from work and I heard a pop-SNAP noise from underneath, towards the front it sounded like maybe, and my 4x4 switch went dead. Pulled in the driveway and shut off the truck, restarted it, still dead. Switching modes made no sound. No "service 4x4" light on the dash. Shut it off, pulled the 4WD fuse from the rear fuse block, waited, put it back, still nothing :hopeless:

Something broke but I'm not sure what yet. My first thought is the infamous 2002 TCCM was just delayed in failing on me (158k miles!) and finally went, but what worries me is the snap noise I heard :worried:

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
did an oil/filter change since i'm at my mileage and installed 4 new tires: 255/70-R16, Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max...got 2 discounts and a rebate

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011

Attachments

• 2012-05-01 19.56.30.jpg
    2012-05-01 19.56.30.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 13

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Pics of said tool, or it didnt happen.,.

OK, OK.

Me007gold said:
When I changed mine, i didnt need a special tool. A regular spark plug socket worked perfect for me
I would not call it that "special", but it gets the job done. It was my first time doing this, and this worked for me, so I wanted to share for anyone interested. Anyone can do whatever works best though.

ConeKilrAutoX said:

:salivate: Your Voy kicks ass. Hopefully i can get mine to a similar stage.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Fixed my twin windscreen washer system.

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Well a while back I had a shop wire my roof off road lights, which was a terrible idea. Apparently they didn't see the need to use a relay. So today I finally went ahead and wired in a relay for the lights. One of the wires still gets pretty hot though, so I'll have to look at it a little more later.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
cody_s said:
Well a while back I had a shop wire my roof off road lights, which was a terrible idea. Apparently they didn't see the need to use a relay. So today I finally went ahead and wired in a relay for the lights. One of the wires still gets pretty hot though, so I'll have to look at it a little more later.

Being roof lights I assume these are fairly high power. How many lights are there? I probably wouldn't run more than two off of one relay.

Looks like you are running 4 x 100W lights? If my math is right, I think it takes like 8.3 amps to power a 100W light at 12V. So you are running 33.33 amps once lit, but I think they draw more when warming up. So if you are running one 30amp relay, its working pretty hard. I'm sure one of the electrical wizards will chime in, but thats my thought

Also, what size is the wiring for those lights, thats a lot of power for thin wiring.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
SBUBandit said:
Being roof lights I assume these are fairly high power. How many lights are there? I probably wouldn't run more than two off of one relay.

Looks like you are running 4 x 100W lights? If my math is right, I think it takes like 8.3 amps to power a 100W light at 12V. So you are running 33.33 amps once lit, but I think they draw more when warming up. So if you are running one 30amp relay, its working pretty hard. I'm sure one of the electrical wizards will chime in, but thats my thought

Also, what size is the wiring for those lights, thats a lot of power for thin wiring.

35 watt current, but has 55w bulbs he wants to run....

Saw in another thread he posted the info in

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
35 watt current, but has 55w bulbs he wants to run....

Saw in another thread he posted the info in

his garage page says he upgraded to 100W bulbs in Blazer Tractor lights

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
cody_s said:
Yeah, I had an audio shop wire them at first (poor decision). Upgraded the bulbs and wires started melting, so I went back down to 35W lights, and the wires were still hot, but not burning. Realized they didn't even have a relay, they just wired the lights to the switch to the power. One of the lights still gets a little hot, so I'm not going to put the 55Ws back in until I look a little closer, but yes, a decent accomplishment for the morning.

Found this from today...

here... http://gmtnation.com/f18/official-post-whore-thread-306/index84.html#post65028

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Sorry about that, I need to fix all the info, I upgraded to 55W lights, not 100W lights, typed it in wrong originally.
The relay says it can handle 4 55W lights, but you may be on to something about running two separate relays.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
cody_s said:
Sorry about that, I need to fix all the info, I upgraded to 55W lights, not 100W lights, typed it in wrong originally.
The relay says it can handle 4 55W lights, but you may be on to something about running two separate relays.

Any idea what kind of wiring they have running to the lights? Is it 1 wire running to the roof with all 4 lights on it? If that's the case, that wire is carrying over 18amps when there are 55W lights in there. A 12ga wire for instance maxes out at 20amps. If its 4 separate leads to the lights then that wouldn't be the issue unless they used wire ignorantly small gauge.

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
SBUBandit said:
Any idea what kind of wiring they have running to the lights? Is it 1 wire running to the roof with all 4 lights on it? If that's the case, that wire is carrying over 18amps when there are 55W lights in there. A 12ga wire for instance maxes out at 20amps. If its 4 separate leads to the lights then that wouldn't be the issue unless they used wire ignorantly small gauge.

It's one wire running up there, and splits off at the lights. They definitely used a small wire though, so I'll probably rewire the whole thing anyway.
Thanks for the pointers :smile:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
cody_s said:
It's one wire running up there, and splits off at the lights. They definitely used a small wire though, so I'll probably rewire the whole thing anyway.
Thanks for the pointers :smile:

No problem. I'm not an offroad guy, but just me personally, what I would do is run 2 relays, I'd probably use the ones like what you'd use for foglights, with two output terminals, one for each light, and run 4 separate 12ga wires if I had the room to hide them. I'd also have each relay on a separate switch. Then you'd have some options, such as installing brighter bulbs in one pair, and being able to turn on all or just two of the overheads. You'd be a little overwired, but I tend to overkill my projects a little.

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
SBUBandit said:
No problem. I'm not an offroad guy, but just me personally, what I would do is run 2 relays, I'd probably use the ones like what you'd use for foglights, with two output terminals, one for each light, and run 4 separate 12ga wires if I had the room to hide them. I'd also have each relay on a separate switch. Then you'd have some options, such as installing brighter bulbs in one pair, and being able to turn on all or just two of the overheads. You'd be a little overwired, but I tend to overkill my projects a little.

Haha it's okay. I was thinking about having two switches anyway for the same reasons.

ConeKilrAutoX said:
Looks great! What temp...8000k?

Sorry I never saw this comment until just now lol. Yeah they're 8000k.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Today I replaced my LED reverse lights.

I started with the set on the left when I had my OEM tails. They worked fine. When I switched to my LED tails, I decided to get new LEDs (right) with side mounted LEDs to shine on the reflective housing.

2012-05-02_12-22-03_837.jpg

I have to say that I was truly amazed with the new ones. :eek:
For anyone looking for a good set of white LEDs for reverse lights, I highly recommend the "14 Watt Eagle EYE SMT Tower" set from autolumination.com. They aren't cheap (at $34.99 each). But I think they're worth it.
Sorry, no night shots. Believe me, they're bright!

OLD...

2012-05-02_12-19-22_357.jpg

2012-05-02_12-19-12_50.jpg

NEW...

2012-05-02_12-16-19_804.jpg

2012-05-02_12-16-04_739.jpg

BOTH...

2012-05-02_12-20-29_878.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Went by my local GM dealer to looks at all the hail damaged vehicles.. Ran across a Envoy with rims I have never seen before.. Anyone ever see these before?

2012-03-31213337.jpg

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Took it to the stealership for new AC compressor, $60 love my warranty, until then I'm driving a silverado nice truck but I miss my 400hp and this bose is not bumpin. Lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Drove it to work. Have not toched the truck in almost two weeks...Damn do I miss driving it compared to the lil Eclipse, but half the mpg so the Eclipse can sit at work most days.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
COngrats and well done Uncle. Looks far better

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
Agreed. I like the subtle sound difference it gives. Not enough to really be noticable, unless you knew what it sounded like before.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
I finally replaced my idler pulley... No more annoying engine whine! I love it!

After a few months with this ongoing whine, I forgot how quiet our engines actually are...

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Just to update, I just finished rewiring the lights. 2 relays, 2 switches.

Outside lights:
a6f863f1-ce71-ac52.jpg

Inside lights:
a6f863f1-ce8b-7e7f.jpg

Definitely like the two switch set up better, and they're way more accessible than the original switch.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
I drove mine all over today. I think I have a sticker somewhere on my truck saying please take my picture because I have seen at least 5 people taking pictures of it in the past 2 days

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well some awesome news for me... my new motor finally came in :wootwoot:

i went to the dealership yesturday to drop off my factory T-Stat since they were going to send my 160* one in the old engine :no:, the truck was still sitting as it has for over a month... they told me the motor was going to be there later on in the day yesturday... so today i went and dropped off my new tranny pan (people will find out why and what i mean when i go to the MI meet) and i was shocked!! very fast turn around of events.. and heres what i saw...

out with the old...................
imagejpeg_2_22.jpg

and in with the new!!!!!!!!!!!!!
imagejpeg_2_10.jpg

imagejpeg_2_3.jpg

i should have it back monday at the latest :wootwoot:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
TollKeeper said:
Went by my local GM dealer to looks at all the hail damaged vehicles.. Ran across a Envoy with rims I have never seen before.. Anyone ever see these before?

2012-03-31213337.jpg

ive seen them before.. but it looks like its missing the center cap, or it has a different one on there... i usually see them on the XUV models here by me... or base model Voy's with like cloth seats, no steering wheel controls... just an awkward rim though...

07ChevyTruck

Dec 5, 2011
Boricua SS - That's one hellva motor you got there. Congrats & Good Luck With It! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I290

Members Online