Tool Talk

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats tiny.. Got some 3.5 inch in the shop here.. Of course we work on Semi's here.

Reactions: m.mcmillen

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...which also means that you won't be able to own them, put them in your Roll-Around Tool Chest... OR fix your Water Heater Elements with them... :>)

CAMCOUSAHEATERELEMENTSOCKET8.jpgCAMCOUSAHEATERELEMENTSOCKET9.jpg

"THIS is My Water Heater Element Socket... There are Many Like It... But THIS One is MINE,,,"
from "Full Metal Jacket: Plumbers... Rise UP!"

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Found a 'unicorn' on my local CL last night - a 52" top / bottom combo (Husky) for the bargain price of $350 (new, Home Despot was selling it for $700 or so; it was a discontinued model). It had been posted about 15min when I found it (I have a saved search, and check it once a day for anything new)

Anyway, I contact the guy via text; we set up an appt for Tuesday to come get it, as I knew I'd need to rent a trailer for it, and it was raining today (he lives near I-80; I'm about 70 miles north. I spent a good portion of time last night figuring out what was the best way to get it, based on dimensions (open / closed trailer, or an actual truck with ramp). Settled on the open trailer and made a reservation for Tuesday morning.

Early this morning, I get another text from the guy... "looks like it's sold".
"So much for being first in line...", I texted back (I was pretty hot, but held my 'tongue')

In a way, it may have been a blessing. Because I had earlier settled on a different option, which should work a little better for me, the way I use tools / storage. Hopefully, it'll be strolling into the garage, soon. Will post a pic, when it does.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Early this morning, I get another text from the guy... "looks like it's sold".

I wonder if people have had such bad luck with people backing out of sales, that they double sell things like this as insurance? This hasn't happened to me yet, but all the stuff I've bought off CL has been cheap (~$50) so...

Over the weekend I picked up a few things. Replaced the 3/8" breaker bar that I broke, as well as picked up a 1/2" one to go with it, cuz why not. Have a mini project using some aluminum sheet metal, so picked up a 3 pack of tin snips since my hole saw kit doesn't have the in between size that I need. It'll feel like arts and crafts all over again :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Replaced the 3/8" breaker bar that I broke, as well as picked up a 1/2" one to go with it, cuz why not.

Why not, indeed? :biggrin:

I have a 3/8" Craftsman (I should say, 'had', because I haven't seen it in years - I think I know where it is, though). But I only really would use it on stuff like drain / fill plugs, etc., which is what I got it for. And at the time I got it, I didn't own a truck.

I now use a HF dual head 3/8" - 1/4" ratchet with a telescoping handle, which works well for leverage & comfort (but not so well on the 1/4" side - that's another story).

I use the 1/2" breaker extensively, now. Have even thought about getting the longer one with the fancy comfy grip at HF when they put them on sale... then I take a couple of deep breaths and walk away. :laugh:

If there were one thing I wish mine had, it would be a ratcheting mechanism - repositioning in a tight space can be difficult, sometimes. HF used to carry them, but they weren't very good.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wonder if people have had such bad luck with people backing out of sales, that they double sell things like this as insurance? This hasn't happened to me yet, but all the stuff I've bought off CL has been cheap (~$50) so...

I think there's bidding wars going on. I just sold my wife's cr-v and I had a guy just pestering me non stop even saying he'd pay $50 over my asking. If someone is deperate enough, they'll try and ply on the seller's greed by doing that. I wound up selling to the first one for $550 even though I was asking $700. I have more integrity than that and I didn't want to deal with some pestering goof ball.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If there were one thing I wish mine had, it would be a ratcheting mechanism - repositioning in a tight space can be difficult, sometimes. HF used to carry them, but they weren't very good.

I was thinking about this too. When I needed to release the belt tensioner on our trucks, I always used my ratchet because of the adjustability. Same held true for when I swapped the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. But figured as little as I'd need it for that, plus the fact I just broke one, I figured save the pennies and go with the basic ones.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I think there's bidding wars going on. I just sold my wife's cr-v and I had a guy just pestering me non stop even saying he'd pay $50 over my asking. If someone is deperate enough, they'll try and ply on the seller's greed by doing that. I wound up selling to the first one for $550 even though I was asking $700. I have more integrity than that and I didn't want to deal with some pestering goof ball.

Here in the States, there's a glut of new vehicles, and a shortage of used. Prices have shot up, as a result.
Maybe I should sell the Voy? (j/k!)

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Ordinarily, I would just use my S/S Digital or Analog Dial Calipers to take Bolt Hole Depth Measurements and be done with it. But for the two ongoing GM Atlas Engine Block Time-Sert Projects I'm involved with, others will be relying upon Accurate Reports of the conditions for all (14) Two-Stage Head Bolt Hole replacements performed on the GM LL8 4.2L Engine Block when using the Time-Sert M11 X 2.00 X 30MM Carbon Steel Cylinders.

This Igaging Digital Depth Gauge will provide me with very accurate depth measurements while also searching for consistency in just how "repeatable" the Upper Aluminum Engine Block proves out to be when the Head Bolt Holes were originally bored out and threaded.

I want to be sure...
and such precision measurement tools will provide confidence Before, During and After anyone decides upon whether or not to make such dramatic modifications to their OWN GM In-Line Atlas All Aluminum Engine Blocks.

I've sprung for the Digital Version and this Kit that comes in around $58.00 under the Average Price:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=igaging+depth+gauge&crid=1EMCMO5PF6ILC&sprefix=igaging,aps,408&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_11_7&tag=elightbars-20

AMAZONIGAGINGDEPTHINDICATOR.jpg
If you prefer the more conventional Igaging Dial Depth Gauge, this one is even Less Expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PFC42VG/?tag=gmtnation-20

AMAZONIGAGINGDEPTHINDICATOR1.jpg

I've posted the Images of the Complete Un-Boxing, Equipment Set Up and Factory OEM Instructions for this Kit over on my "Flickr-Bucket" ...linked here:

Last edited:
Reactions: gmcman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Ordinarily, I would NEVER consider paying over Fifty Bucks for One Pair of Diagonal Cutters-Nippers-Snips. But the task I have to deal with is EXTRAORDINARILY difficult regarding the stress and strains that will be suffered through the heavy muscular use of my hands and fingers. My Mission is to be able to reduce what is “Mostly Empty Space” in the form of a King Size Box Spring to manageable Piles of Wire.

And No… I can’t just “...Fold it in HALF and throw it into the back of my Y2K's Long Truck Bed…” and deliver it; whole and sundry, to my Metal Reclamation Center due to the ever-present Danger and Risk of subjecting myself to a COVID-19 Exposure that is increasing exponentially right now down here in Florida ...and all over America. This Damned Pandemic colors my every single action whenever I imagine leaving the protective isolation of my home… which I refuse to do until AFTER I have the chance to get BOTH the Moderna and Pfizer COVID-19 Anti-Virus Vaccine Shots ...ASAP!

Nonetheless, I still need the space in that one room that at this very moment, is being dominated by this sprawling,obstructive Metal Thing. After thinking things over, I realized that my Hands and Fingers would soon fatigue and ‘seize up’ by using “Just Any Old Pair” of common Pliers-Wire Cutters over and over again. This prompted me to look elsewhere for a solution. So after thoroughly researching ALL of the ostensibly BEST SINGLE HANDED DIAGONAL CUTTERS AND MINI_BOLT CUTTERS around, I just could NOT Make Up My Mind. So in the End, I decided to get All Three of THESE:

DIAGCUTTERS1.jpgDIAGCUTTERS2.jpgDIAGCUTTERS3.jpgDIAGCUTTERS4.jpgDIAGCUTTERS5.jpgDIAGCUTTERS6.jpgDIAGCUTTERS8.jpgDIAGCUTTERS10.jpgDIAGCUTTERS11.jpgDIAGCUTTERS12.jpgDIAGCUTTERS14.jpgDIAGCUTTERS15.jpgDIAGCUTTERS16.jpgDIAGCUTTERS17.jpgDIAGCUTTERS18.jpgDIAGCUTTERS20.jpg

There are enough Amazing Demonstration Videos on YouTube to convince ANYONE interested that regardless of whether you decide to Buy the KNIPER or the NWS Brands-Styles of Force Multiplying Diagonal Cutters you can be certain that since BOTH versions are constructed of The Highest Quality, High Grade, Durable Steels, all “Made in Germany”, any or all of them should all give you many years of reliable cutting service within the Limitations Set for the Wire Thickness and Cutting Angles when wading though everything from Barbed Wire to Nails.

By the time I’ve managed to use ALL THREE of these Quality Cutters on my King Size Box Spring and reduce into a Pile of Wire that will fit inside of a Large Shoe Box vs. Mass and Dimensions, I’ll follow up here on this Post with my opinions about which of these Three Diagonal “Nippers” actually performs "The Best”... But...So Far... I LIKE the Blued Coil Steel Return Spring of the KNIPER Mini-Bolt Cutters MUCH Better Than The Rest!

Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Just passing this along but, this is the best heat shrink tubing that I have found for my auto wiring projects. It's pricey but, with a 4:1 ratio, 1/4" will work for most applications. Unlike the Chinese stuff this has plenty of adhesive. USA made and I have only been able to buy it from a guy in Ontario,Ca. but, he is very reliable and 12' of this last a long time.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I let my degree get the better of me today... I needed a smoke leak tester. Didn't want to spend the money. Saw a guy build one and said I could do better. I took a Mason jar and drilled 3 holes in it. I used 2 pieces of 5/16 steel tubing and epoxied them to the holes sealing it. The third sealed a wire. On the end of this wire is a coil of vape pen wire, 20 gauge. The other end of the wire has a cigarette lighter adapter. I wrapped the coil in a cotton Terry cloth soaked in baby oil. The result? A smoke machine that rivals my best fog machine. One hose to the vacuum port, the other to the air compressor. I had it regulated pretty low to about 10 psi. Worked flawlessly. Sadly I have no leaks.
20201213_210935.jpg
Also received metripak crimper.
20201213_211111.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
As "Electronically Savvy" as @Blckshdw always is... I'll have to assume he has already done this at LEAST Once since owning his Ryobi Electric Riding Lawn Mower... but jik NOT... THIS Video is The BOMB for "How to Change the Four Large 75 AH or 100 AH Batteries in the Back of the Ryobi Electric Riding Lawn Mowers" with a Special Focus for making certain to also install a "Pulse-Tech Power Pulse" 48 Volt Battery De-Sulfator". Doing so will assure the Maximum Battery Life and Top Performance while protecting these VERY Expensive Flooded Lead Acid Batteries against dying premature deaths from Sulfating:

Ryobi RM-480e Electric Riding Lawn Mower (How To Change The Batteries):

Pulse-Tech 48 Volt "Power Pulse" Battery De-Sulfator Unit. ($70.00 @ Amazon)

POWERPULSE48VOLTDESULFATOR.jpg

Also... On the Subject of Battery TESTING... For those feeling the Winter Months coming on strong... Are you Sick and Tired of GUESSING about when ALL of your Expensive Batteries are approaching their End Of Life?

I've opted here to get a TRUE "Battery LOAD & STRESS Tester" as the TOPDON Model# BT200 is able to Comprehensively and QUICKLY Diagnose ANY Auto-Truck and be able to perform Electrical Cranking Tests, Charging Tests and Battery Tests at a very reasonable price:

POWERPULSE48VOLTDESULFATOR.jpgTOPDON2002.jpgTOPDON2003.jpgTOPDON2004.jpgTOPDON2005.jpgTOPDON2006.jpgTOPDON2007.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I haven't had to mess with the batteries yet, but that's handy to know about the wire/cable placement and which ones to look out for when trying to remove the battery tray. I checked out his other video on the reverse beeper. I'm definitely doing that one, cuz that bastard is WAY too loud.

I've also had the idea of buying something like a 15 gallon sprayer for ATVs, and building some sort of rack mount to support it. So seeing that video gave me a better idea of where the battery terminals are for connecting the leads for a sprayer.

Reactions: mrrsm

Dadwagon

May 21, 2020
West coast
I let my degree get the better of me today... I needed a smoke leak tester. Didn't want to spend the money. Saw a guy build one and said I could do better. I took a Mason jar and drilled 3 holes in it. I used 2 pieces of 5/16 steel tubing and epoxied them to the holes sealing it. The third sealed a wire. On the end of this wire is a coil of vape pen wire, 20 gauge. The other end of the wire has a cigarette lighter adapter. I wrapped the coil in a cotton Terry cloth soaked in baby oil. The result? A smoke machine that rivals my best fog machine. One hose to the vacuum port, the other to the air compressor. I had it regulated pretty low to about 10 psi. Worked flawlessly. Sadly I have no leaks.
That's really cool! I like seeing homemade projects like this.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I'm looking to upgrade from an old 3 gallon Craftsman. Anyone have knowledge (or opinions) about the Fortress 10G Ultra Quite? (I have a coupon)
fortress2.jpg

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Small expansion on my what are you doing today post. Got pretty acquainted with the guts of my mower. It was REALLY filthy with sand, dirt, dead grass and such in all the crevices. Spent a good amount of time putting the compressor to work, blowing a bunch of crap out of there. Weight reduction mod anyone?

Getting the tank sprayer hooked up to the batteries was a little interesting. The wiring harness has clamps, which makes sense for ATVs, but in this case, ring/spade connectors would be much better. The protective caps for the battery terminals would play much nicer with those. I may snip the ends, and crimp some on, down the road. (that battery tray was heavy as :lipsrsealed:)

20210213_160325.jpg

The secondary protective covers allowed me to fish the wires through, so I'm not worried about the clamps popping off over bumpy terrain.

20210213_161123.jpg

Not pictured, the inline toggle switch is currently sitting in the cell phone storage pocket, since that's the only convenient spot to put it where it will stay in place. Not elegant by any means, but it should do. For a quick second, I considered cutting into the plastic paneling to try and make a flush mount switch, but no one is going to see it but me, so not really necessary.

This should be a million times easier treating my property. Using a 3 gallon garden sprayer and walking back and forth is a pain during the cooler months, but it's really brutal in the heat of the summer, so I didn't do it nearly as much as I needed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Kind of tool I guess. McGyver at its best. Heat for the shop for cheap except for the gas or electricity to run it. Absolutely brilliant! Too bad I already bought a gas shop heater.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This is important enough to 'step back into the light' just long enough to warn for those who own the VERY Expensive Milwaukee Combo M12 & M18 AC-DC Power Pack and Battery Chargers for their various Modular Tools:

This morning I noticed that the Green Charging Lights on this unit were out and after swapping around the AC power plug to a few different wall outlets... it remained "DRT" (Dead...Right There...).

So I removed the (4) T-10 (or a Hex Wrench equivalent) long Black Screws from under the base corners and lightly pried the casement halves apart; looking perhaps for a Blown Fuse somewhere mounted on the Solid State Chassis. No Such Luck.

However, I grabbed my Head Lamp and worked my way all over the chassis ...and spied a very tiny row of recessed pins along the narrow strip of the top of the Bread Board ...marked out thusly:

Grnd
Reset
Tool O
+5V

I rigged up an insulated "Pin Jumper" and after trying quit a few combinations with the AC Plugged into the Wall Outlet (as well as with the unit unplugged)... and voilà... It powered up and came back to life!

Here are some Glamour Shots to show that The Proof is in The Pudding:

Attachments

• IMG_5100A.jpeg
    IMG_5100A.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    375.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5105.jpg
    IMG_5105.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Just took it apart to take these images. I think I tried all (6) possible combinations with my Jumper Wire....and I'm not certain which of those contact paired combinations did the trick:

Attachments

• BOARDPINS1.jpg
    BOARDPINS1.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 6
  • BOARDPINS2.jpg
    BOARDPINS2.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 6

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
No matter how many times I've found myself in this situation:

Reach for a (Pick Your FAVORITE Necessary Metric Socket 10mm, 13,,, 15mm) and NOT be able to find ANY of them on the SPOT...

I've told myself, Goddamitt... I'm gonna get me a FISTFUL of these GD Sockets and put them ALL OVER THE PLACE!... and then NEVER do it....

But THIS Time I finally went to Amazon, looked up the least expensive CR-MO Parkerized, Black, High Grade Steel 13mmm and 15mm X 3/8" Drive Shallow and Deep Sockets and literally bought me a FIST-FULL of them:

Same thing with getting a Decent LS and LL8 Harmonic Balancer Puller... Now that they are 1/3 the price they used to cost for the LS Versions AND come with the requiste LONG Center Push Rod AND come with a perfect Blow Molded Plastic Case... I thought I'd better get one of those, too.

Attachments

• MUSTHAVETOOLS2.jpg
    MUSTHAVETOOLS2.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 6
  • MUSTHAVETOOLS3.jpg
    MUSTHAVETOOLS3.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 4
  • MUSTHAVETOOLS4.jpg
    MUSTHAVETOOLS4.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 4
  • MUSTHAVETOOLS1.jpg
    MUSTHAVETOOLS1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 6
  • MUSTHAVETOOLS5.jpg
    MUSTHAVETOOLS5.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I need one of those..

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Oh... and Props to @Reprise for getting his Aries LS HB Puller FIRST...

While on a Tear-Ass through some Leaky Faucet Repairs... I was missing some critical elements that would have made that Task almost FUN to do (Thanks to the BondHaus "T" Handled SAE & Metric Hex Tools). But... the Tools I was missing were THESE:

(1) Alligator Locking Pliers Set Small, Medium & Large with Red Fabric Bag (Under $20.00)
(2) Adjustable Crescent Wrench Set 6", 8", 10" & 12" (Around $22.50)

These CHEAP Chinese Solutions came from Amazon and are all made of of surprising High Quality, Drop-Forged, Chrome-Vanadium Steel . The added Bonus is that they ALL fit quite nicely together inside of the Alligator Pliers Red Roll-Up Tool Kit Bag. Very economical when organizing Tool Box Space and it makes it so much easier to keep track of and use these kinds of Adjustable Tools, too.

Attachments

• PLUMBERSPLIERS1.jpg
    PLUMBERSPLIERS1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ALLIGATORPLIERS1.jpg
    ALLIGATORPLIERS1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1
  • ALLIGATORPLIERS2.jpg
    ALLIGATORPLIERS2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1
  • CRESCENTWRENCHSET1.jpg
    CRESCENTWRENCHSET1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1
  • CRESCENTSET1.jpg
    CRESCENTSET1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1
  • CRESCENTSET2.jpg
    CRESCENTSET2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PLUMBE3RSTOOLKIT2.jpg
    PLUMBE3RSTOOLKIT2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PLUMBERSTOOLKIT.jpg
    PLUMBERSTOOLKIT.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PLUMBERSTOOLKIT2.jpg
    PLUMBERSTOOLKIT2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Oh... and Props to @Reprise for getting his Aries LS HB Puller FIRST...
Yeah, but I wound up not using it for my balancer -- too small to reach the indents on the back side of the pulley. I may try it on my P/S pump when I pull it later this week (supposed to be here sometime Wed.) We'll see how that works out, and I'll report back, once I get the pulley off. It's roughly the same size / shape as the Chrysler-style puller, which has the same issues with its balancer (no bolt holes on the face), and is recommended for pulling LS balancers.

If you remember, I wound up rigging up the threaded rod w/ nut & washers for the crank pulley (which you weren't fond of, as I recall, but it worked out ok and didn't damage anything)

Oh, and to add to the thread... I got my fancy 10" Austrian-made adjustable ('alligator') pliers delivered the other day, and used them yesterday on the Accord. They're nice -- that locking button is the bomb, and solves the biggest issue I have with these type of pliers. I just wish they were a leeetle bit smaller - like about 7". I'd buy them again, tho, for the same $20 deal. Pics later, if anyone wants to see them (they're in my 'deal' thread from a couple of weeks ago, too).

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Blckshdw ... if you watch this Leaf Bagger Video ... Check out that Bracket he is installing as a possible Mount for your Sprayer as the Mount goes on, Lock In Place or Comes Right Off in mere Seconds. I can guarantee that it will be MORE than strong enough to Hold on to a HUGE Spayer Hopper Unit.

I absiolutely LOVE this Rig on mine because with the correct "Bagger Blades" installed on the Ryobi Electric Rider, during the Fall and Winter months, the 36" Wide Dual Blades Vacuumed Up ALL the Pin-Oak Leaves with NO Sweat into the Dual Nylon Screen Drop In Bags. Perhaps you can order JUST the Bracket separately as it is shown here:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, I have the bagger kit too, works great for collecting leaves and clippings for composting. :2thumbsup:

The tank sprayer would not work with that though, it's not sturdy enough. That bracket has gotten a little bent where it hooks onto the tubing in back, so the whole apparatus sways a bit when the weight shifts on turns or slopes. It would also be a bit too high for my liking, and not enough support out away from the mower to keep those arms from bending down under the weight when full. The idea did cross my mind though when I was planning to make the purchase.

• Sad
Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
This Video will help everyone to "Get the 'Right Angle' ...on Safety" whenever using Angle Grinders:

WARNING: The Last Few Minutes of this Video display Graphic Examples of REAL injuries experienced by Tool Users explaining what went wrong:

Check Out the information from the VOP (Video Original Poster) regarding what happened to HIS Dad at around 25:50 into this Video:

Attachments

• DEWALTANGLEGRINDER1.jpeg
    DEWALTANGLEGRINDER1.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DEWALTANGLEGRINDER2.jpeg
    DEWALTANGLEGRINDER2.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DEWALTANGLEGRINDER3.jpeg
    DEWALTANGLEGRINDER3.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DEWALTANGLEGRINDER4.jpeg
    DEWALTANGLEGRINDER4.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DEWALTANGLEGRINDER5.jpeg
    DEWALTANGLEGRINDER5.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DEWALTANGLEGRINDER6.jpeg
    DEWALTANGLEGRINDER6.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If you have an abiding Love of Tools… You may never have thought about the implications of “Fractals and Mandelbrots” in Mathematics as anything important enough to touch upon our lives. But consider this… WITHOUT these ideas actually working in the Real World, neither would your Cell Phones or Apple Tablets or any reasonably sized communications device. This is because without this strange geometric folding ability necessary to compress an Antennae down small enough… a working one would NEVER fit inside of any Cell Phone-like Devices!

A more familiar example to you may be a vegetable that you should eat on a regular basis (if you want to live as long as I have… or LONGER). Consider the common Stalk of Broccoli. I mean look REALLY close at it in your Salad the next time you have the chance. As soon as you start to take any Broccoli Stalk apart, no matter how many times you break it down, you’ll STILL wind up with a smaller and smaller complete Stalks of Broccoli. THAT is Nature’s Example of Fractals in Action.

The very same thing appears to be central to the Design and Function of THIS Most Amazing Steel Vise. And the funny thing is that it was designed and made way back in the 1920s by The Mantle Company and while it may have been Mathematically based upon what became known as … “The Monsters” ...the Makers may not have actually known anything about it!.

Here is the Original Patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US1059545

Here is The Amazing "Fractal" Vise" being Re-Built...

And for more about Mandlebrot and “The Monsters”…

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Back in 1891... One Very Clever German Engineer cooked up the design for THIS Amazing Mechanical Ratcheting Screw Driver that to this very day, I've never seen the like of. This Shop Grade Tool Restoration Video is "Tool Talk Eye Candy" ...at its Very Best!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The simplicity of @Matt 's Original Idea for "How to Remove the Fan-Clutch from the GM 4.2L Engines" USING a Length of Chain came to mind when I saw THIS Tool on eBay:

Attachments

• USAPULLEYTOOLA.jpg
    USAPULLEYTOOLA.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 6
  • USAPULLEYTOOL1.jpg
    USAPULLEYTOOL1.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 5
  • USAPULLEYTOOL2.jpg
    USAPULLEYTOOL2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 5

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
As "Electronically Savvy" as @Blckshdw always is... I'll have to assume he has already done this at LEAST Once since owning his Ryobi Electric Riding Lawn Mower... but jik NOT... THIS Video is The BOMB for "How to Change the Four Large 75 AH or 100 AH Batteries in the Back of the Ryobi Electric Riding Lawn Mowers" with a Special Focus for making certain to also install a "Pulse-Tech Power Pulse" 48 Volt Battery De-Sulfator". Doing so will assure the Maximum Battery Life and Top Performance while protecting these VERY Expensive Flooded Lead Acid Batteries against dying premature deaths from Sulfating:

Ryobi RM-480e Electric Riding Lawn Mower (How To Change The Batteries):

Pulse-Tech 48 Volt "Power Pulse" Battery De-Sulfator Unit. ($70.00 @ Amazon)

View attachment 99169

Also... On the Subject of Battery TESTING... For those feeling the Winter Months coming on strong... Are you Sick and Tired of GUESSING about when ALL of your Expensive Batteries are approaching their End Of Life?

I've opted here to get a TRUE "Battery LOAD & STRESS Tester" as the TOPDON Model# BT200 is able to Comprehensively and QUICKLY Diagnose ANY Auto-Truck and be able to perform Electrical Cranking Tests, Charging Tests and Battery Tests at a very reasonable price:

View attachment 99169View attachment 99170View attachment 99171View attachment 99172View attachment 99173View attachment 99174View attachment 99176
Noting this for later, got a Ryobi 75 Ah 42" Zero Turn scheduled for deliver on Monday, Home Depot had the Zero Turn with the Bagger Attachment for cheaper then the Zero Turn of the same size and capacity by itself, been paying people to mow my lawn for the last 6 years and have spent enough money in that time to nearly pay for one of these mowers, definitely enough to pay for the smaller tractor style ones and after the last mow the lawn guy said due to fuel prices he would have to raise his rate by what amounts to a 25% increase and I understand that and not mad about it, but it was the kick in the pants I needed to make the plunge into buying a riding mower (impossible to mow my yard with a push mower, well for me anyway and the push mower electrics lack enough battery capacity to do more then a third of the yard at a time because of all the self propel assists it takes to climb the hill), also I have a 0% APR on one of my credit cards till July of next year so I can take my time and pay it off over the next 9-10 months without getting screwed by interest rates.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
After watching numerous Andrew Camarata YT Videos of his many “No Holds Barred” Repairs during all kinds of weather and on all kinds of equipment, you can’t help but notice that his favorite Tools of Choice are the two Dual Head (3/8" & 1/2") “Spud” Ratchets that get regularly abused... with no signs of giving in.

One in particular is a sort of an eye-catching Kubota Burnt Orange-Urban Black Camo color (Halloween Appropriate) and is featured in most of his repair Videos. He mentioned getting several of these years before “...from ‘Tractor Supply’ for around Ten Bucks a piece… But they don’t have them available any more. “ He wasn’t kidding.

I searched HI & LO and could not find that exact Brand-Make & Model with that Custom Orange-Black Paint Jobbed Ratchet anywhere. But I did manage to come pretty close once I found the Cal-Hawk Item featured in the Images below.

I bought one for around $40.00 from Amazon and thought it best to show the YT Screen Caps of just how careless Andrew really is with two similar Tools that obviously CAN Take Serious Punishment:

https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Hawk-Tools-BSPRH34C-Ratchet/dp/B01DXFCDRG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PFLHC75UNBPC&dchild=1&keywords=cal+hawk+tools+bsprh34c+3/8"+x+1/2"+drive+dual+head+ratchet&qid=1635467858&qsid=143-9871982-5709624&sprefix=cal-hawk+dual+,aps,421&sr=8-1&sres=B01DXFCDRG,B000E25LTY,B07J6NPS7W,B09C9Z292B,B00LV9Y1FE,B00C9QZZTE,B00OL2XB9K,B08R42GSQS,B00396FIYK,B07SRKRF7V,B002GQAZB0,B07CW8ZJ9K,B08JTVG4HL,B07V1ZRZ29,B08P28R8VL,B08GC2S8NQ,B07F6Y7VRC,B00BTEXUY4,B01M12284X,B08P25R2C8&th=1

CALHAWKSPUDRATCHET1.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET2.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET3.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET4.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET5.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET6.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET9.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET14.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET17.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET19.jpgCALHAWKSPUDRATCHET20.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have the same one from HF but handles are grey. Also magnets on the ends. Can't say the battery lasts a whole lot of time though.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I have the same one from HF but handles are grey. Also magnets on the ends. Can't say the battery lasts a whole lot of time though.
It was about 35 bucks. So very cheap. I'm looking on amazon for an upgrade, and see lots of different choices from manufactures I've never heard of. I'll rock this one for a while and see how it goes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online