Tool Talk

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I've never had good success with transfer pumps, TBH. But a (cheap) suction gun is the cat's PJs for me, both extracting and filling.

Anyway... to the person who was commenting about Tekton and warranty a bit earlier... it turns out that it's not through the retail store you get it from, but via e-mail (you take a pic of the broken tool, and they send a replacement). Which doesn't work too well if you 'need it today', but it is a 'lifetime' warranty (and I don't think you need to show them a receipt, either.)

Was looking at them in the grocery today (didn't buy any of them, as I didn't see anything I didn't already have). Just 'FYI', for those interested in the brand...

Reactions: coolride and Mounce

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
@coolride I like what you did there with the water jug. The last time I changed transfer case fluid, I used the pointed cap from a gear oil jug, I hate trying to drain fluids from a transfer pump, but sometimes it's worth it.

Reactions: coolride

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
@coolride I like what you did there with the water jug. The last time I changed transfer case fluid, I used the pointed cap from a gear oil jug, I hate trying to drain fluids from a transfer pump, but sometimes it's worth it.

I needed a way to hold steady the bottle of Auto-Trak II, so I bungied it to a gallon of water. The transfer pump takes two hands, and I don't have an extra. Honestly, I need to make less of a mess every time that a fluid gets changed.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What's the maximum pressure that one of these could take?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A little pricey tho.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Attach an air fitting into the side, and it could be pressurized with an air compressor (no pumping required.)
What's the maximum pressure that one of these could take?

I've done this with my 1 gallon and 3 gallon tanks. I've put a max of 35 lbs of pressure in them and haven't had any issues. I use them for herbicide and insecticide mostly. I forgot about that thread, may need to try that method next time I'm filling something in an awkward spot. :yes:

Edit: Bought this set cuz they were cheap, used one of those graduated step drill bits and was able to feed these through from the inside. Easy peasy. :thumbsup:

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
(Is this a tool?) I mixed these two things together. Need something that soaks into surface rust, and also leaves behind a protective film of oil after the volatile stuff evaporates. (it's about 1 part oil, and 9 parts WD-40)
tb127.JPG

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Not so sure we need another thread for that. I think it could result in a lot of cross posting.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
The take away is, those WD-40 non-aerosol spray cans can be reused. The top pops off if you push it sideways. (thank you internet.) Re-fill with whatever, and party on.

Reactions: jmonica

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For Post-Winter Seasonal (...or Off Road Stuff) Clean Ups of the SUV-Truck Under-Carriage and Wheel Wells of built up Sand, Road Salt and Boat Ramp Salt Water exposures to Trailers, this $40.00 Gizmo from Amazon looks like it would help... as long as the Pressure Washer used produces power above 1,500 PSI:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHTCWBB/?tag=gmtnation-20

UNDERTRUCKPRESSUREWASHER1.jpgUNDERTRUCKPRESSUREWASHER3.jpgUNDERTRUCKPRESSUREWASHER2.jpgUNDERTRUCKPRESSUREWASHER.jpg

Reactions: Maverick6587

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
3/4" drive tools: I have an 18" breaker bar and one socket (1 1/8".) Does anyone use 3/4" drive for anything on the Trailblazer? Looking for suggestions on things I might need.
tb128.JPG

Last edited:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
I have a set of 3/4" sockets, ratchet & breaker bar and the only thing I have needed it for was changing hitch balls out on the trailblazer. It sure makes the job easy tho, but not a "good" reason to have one hanging around the shop. Worst case scenario when using a 1/2 breaker bar and it isn't quite enough tap it with a good hammer while applying pressure and most bolts will come lose. This makes it act like a high power impact wrench.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I finally killed the earthquake. Apparently dropping it on my face is the only thing that can do it though... I walked in and the guy at the counter started crying. The new store by me has been open a year and that was the first one to come back. I guess I know how to break them... or my face is just that hard. Anyway they let me keep the old charger and battery and gave me a new one. So I now have 3 batteries, 2 chargers and a fully functional impact again. This one seems a little better than the last one making me thing something was wrong from the start. Also, they let me get an extended warranty on the new one... so that's pretty sweet.

Unrelated to that, I picked up one of those noncontact circuit testers for some electrical work in the basement. Saved my ass. Turned a whole night of tracing circuits into a couple hours worth of work. Best 30$ I think I've ever spent.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I saw someone selling a used Power Probe 3 for $160, went to Amazon.ca to compare prices and this little beauty came up for $78 with a $12 coupon. It does a few more things than the PB3 like AC and diode check. Really cool. It also has a total of 20' of cord so can be useful with large vehicles and trailers. Nice case and instructions in real English, not Chinglish.

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_095710.jpg
    IMG_20200320_095710.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200320_100932.jpg
    IMG_20200320_100932.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200320_100938.jpg
    IMG_20200320_100938.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200320_100942.jpg
    IMG_20200320_100942.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200320_100947.jpg
    IMG_20200320_100947.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200320_101000.jpg
    IMG_20200320_101000.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 10

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Crazy I was just coming on here to post a question about tools. This isn't my question, but I had purchased this cheapo craftsman rechargeable electric screwdriver many moons ago. I had lost it and one day after clearing out one of my storage units, I found it. It was in there no less than 10+ years. It was an old Ni-Cad junker. I'll be darned if that thing didn't still work after 10 years in storage and that's a few years of already having used it. 20 years later it works to this day. I don't know how or why but it does. Obviously with the advent of Li-ion batteries and better motors things are way more advanced now but I still use inside the house for little stuff really just for sentimental purposes. I just think its crazy that the battery still takes and holds a charge. Even if it's not as good as it was when new.

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
For those that care, Tekton makes 6pt ratcheting wrenches. Only ones I've see. Seems like hard to reach fastener acquisition may be tough but they've gotta be better than 12pt, right?
Nice great tip. I've yet to see a set of 6pt'ers as well and I have always wondered why. Thanks for posting!

Got a couple new toys in the last week. Picked up the 3/8 stubby Milwaukee with two 4.0 batteries and a 2.0 battery to compliment the big boy, set of icon torx sockets with their 20% off coupon, Gearwrench sensor socket set, HF/merlin dial tire pressure gauge, and a HF/us general magnetic power strip for the roll cart.

View attachment 93069

Big guy blasts lug nuts and little fella can handle them but has to work for it. Of course not what it's made for but had to try it.
Well Mounce, I wanted to say thank You. When you posted this I was so jealous. I finally pulled the trigger and got the 1/2" like yours. I had the money but I was hesitating because i',not a mechanic and so its kind of splurge item for me, but its always easy to justify it. I thought I can just spend this cash a little here for a tank of gas and a few here for whatever or I can spend it on something that I can keep and use for many years to to come. Glad I did too because I love that thing man!
If someone said "ok loser (directed at and speaking to me), you have to point out one thing that you would change on the gun or I'm going to put holes in all of your socks". Its the ring that holds the sockets on. I forget what they call it. I struggle to swap sockets sometimes. I know it's new and everything is tight, but I'm really hoping that it loosens up. Do you have to struggle at all to swap sockets? Thanks! What other cool stuff do you have that I can copy from you? J.K

Now my next mission is an Orange box. I have a buddy who owns a body shop who volunteered to paint mine and its looking like I mighty have to go that way for now, but I think it will be ok. As long as he color sands and buffs it for me to get rid of the orange peel. :smile:

I know I'm not very original but you have great taste in tools!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
When I saw someone selling a used Power Probe 3 for $160, went to Amazon.ca to compare prices and this little beauty came up for $78 with a $12 coupon. It does a few more things than the PB3 like AC and diode check. Really cool. It also has a total of 20' of cord so can be useful with large vehicles and trailers. Nice case and instructions in real English, not Chinglish.
I had eyeballed the no name probes but don't think I'd seen one with that level of a processor inside. I need to look back into them apparently. :thumbsup:

Well Mounce, I wanted to say thank You. When you posted this I was so jealous. I finally pulled the trigger and got the 1/2" like yours. I had the money but I was hesitating because i',not a mechanic and so its kind of splurge item for me, but its always easy to justify it. I thought I can just spend this cash a little here for a tank of gas and a few here for whatever or I can spend it on something that I can keep and use for many years to to come. Glad I did too because I love that thing man!
If someone said "ok loser (directed at and speaking to me), you have to point out one thing that you would change on the gun or I'm going to put holes in all of your socks". Its the ring that holds the sockets on. I forget what they call it. I struggle to swap sockets sometimes. I know it's new and everything is tight, but I'm really hoping that it loosens up. Do you have to struggle at all to swap sockets? Thanks! What other cool stuff do you have that I can copy from you? J.K
She's a hoss for sure, bad to the bone and doesn't care what you aim it at.

And that's called a friction ring, mine is also pretty tight and still has fairly low use. I find you have to get the sockets exactly squared up with the 1/2" flats they won't go on. The ring itself doesn't appear to be bothering me, just the exact fit and machining job vs exact fitting (new) sockets. Those two impacts are currently my most used tools but I also haven't had too many good jobs come in since work has been slow. The milwaukee impacts, non-fuel ratchet, HF Earthquake 1/2 pneumatic impact, HF flex head comfort grip ratchets, Gearwrench swivel impact sockets, bluepoint reversible ratchet wrenches (bought off my manager for a STEAL $75, otherwise I'd never have them $$$) and tekton chrome and impact socket sets are all at the top of my list of favorite tools at the moment. I know that's quite a list but that's what I'm using the most lately.

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I had eyeballed the no name probes but don't think I'd seen one with that level of a processor inside. I need to look back into them apparently. :thumbsup:

She's a hoss for sure, bad to the bone and doesn't care what you aim it at.

And that's called a friction ring, mine is also pretty tight and still has fairly low use. I find you have to get the sockets exactly squared up with the 1/2" flats they won't go on. The ring itself doesn't appear to be bothering me, just the exact fit and machining job vs exact fitting (new) sockets. Those two impacts are currently my most used tools but I also haven't had too many good jobs come in since work has been slow. The milwaukee impacts, non-fuel ratchet, HF Earthquake 1/2 pneumatic impact, HF flex head comfort grip ratchets, Gearwrench swivel impact sockets, bluepoint reversible ratchet wrenches (bought off my manager for a STEAL $75, otherwise I'd never have them $$$) and tekton chrome and impact socket sets are all at the top of my list of favorite tools at the moment. I know that's quite a list but that's what I'm using the most lately.
Wow, If my TB was stacked like yours I'd just sit in front of it opening and closing the drawers and staring at everything anytime I needed to cheer myself up. This whole topic of tools has been on my brain for a month now because I am starting the task of organizing my tb. I totally under estimated this project as usual. Just the socket drawer alone, which is as fare as I've gotten so far, is going to take a ton of planning to get everything ion just the way I want it. The shear number of sockets that I have is nothing compared to what I want the full drawer to look like. I will post pics pathetically reaching for compliments when its done. While surfing for tool deals tonight I came across something I thought I'd never see. A single socket (One) that costs $4,200 and there was an 11 piece set of sockets that cost $9,000 . A person better be sure he or she has enough work to justify that tool purchase! Crazy. Well best of luck, I hope that business picks up for you!
Thanks

Reactions: Redbeard and Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Wow, If my TB was stacked like yours I'd just sit in front of it opening and closing the drawers and staring at everything anytime I needed to cheer myself up.
I basically do this. At least gives me a sense of pride anyways. All nice and organized besides my bottom drawer which is overflow at this point. I am just about out of room in my cart but I have no desire to buy a box just yet. Only a dozen or so tools left to make it feel complete to me and I can stash them somewhere in there so it'll do until it's paid for itself lol.

I need to unpack it and get some double sided tape put onto the drawer liners, they won't stay in place. I don't slam the drawers shut but they still all slide to the back over time. The bottom drawer which has the most/heaviest stuff out of all the drawers is currently about two inches back and I can't even slide it back due to the weight of everything on the liner so I don't understand why it keeps slipping. Think I'll pick some tape up tomorrow and fix it by the weekend.

Reactions: jmonica

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
I basically do this. At least gives me a sense of pride anyways. All nice and organized besides my bottom drawer which is overflow at this point. I am just about out of room in my cart but I have no desire to buy a box just yet. Only a dozen or so tools left to make it feel complete to me and I can stash them somewhere in there so it'll do until it's paid for itself lol.

I need to unpack it and get some double sided tape put onto the drawer liners, they won't stay in place. I don't slam the drawers shut but they still all slide to the back over time. The bottom drawer which has the most/heaviest stuff out of all the drawers is currently about two inches back and I can't even slide it back due to the weight of everything on the liner so I don't understand why it keeps slipping. Think I'll pick some tape up tomorrow and fix it by the weekend.
Yes! Same with my drawer liners and in the bottom where I have the heavy stuff corded impacts, grinders etc. I know exactly what you mean about feeling its complete. I feel that coming. It will drive me nuts to see an open spot where I'm missing a set of something. I'm starting to get overwhelmed already and haven't even started actually placing tools in the box yet. Still in prep and planning phase. What kind of holders to use etc etc.

I'm preaching to the choir though as if sounds like you've already done the hard part.

Questuon... Did you find yourself buying anything you probably won't have much use for, but bought it just to perfect the organization and layout of your drawers? I can see myself doing that. I really cant afford that but it wont matter once I get close.
I was going to start a toolbox organizing thread but im.gling to wakt until I get close to done. I feel like that's going to be a thread that blows up a little. Like the fav tool thread!

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Can't say I did. Actually can't think of a single thing of that nature in mine lol.
Well thats good. I would guess being a professional mechanic you pretty much eventually have a beed for all kinds of stuff I DIY'er might not invest in.

So my mission tonight is I want to buy the perfect 10mm wrench. I can't afford full sets of Snap-On, Proto, Blue Point etc so I'm just going to buy the best or good ones of a few of the key tools/sizes that I use a lot.
Tonight I'm on the prowl for a 6pt, reversible, ratcheting, flex head, 10mm box wrench preferably in black oxide and I don't care if it costs $100 for a single wrench. Ultimately I'd like three lengths of this wrench as well :smile: Yea like I will find it! Ahh... what some people will do to occupy themselves when under quarantine! I just KNOW my perfect wrench is out there! Thanks and have a good night. Stay healthy Man!

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You can never have enough 10mm wrenches and sockets. They seem to grow legs and go touring or something.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You can never have enough 10mm wrenches and sockets. They seem to grow legs and go touring or something.
That and 13m and 1/2 inch sockets.

jmonica

Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Thank You! I swear they must be hooking up with the one sock that gets lost in the wash. I cannot believe how long I spent last night looking for the perfect 10mm. I bought of them. I just couldn't pull the trigger on the Wera Joker reversible. That's little suck is like $42+ That' crazy for one little wrench. I pulled the trig on the Proto reversible without the flex head. I know who cares? Sorry I'm bored out of my mind. I have so many projects on the envoy to dig into but I'm either waiting for parts or want to complete something before I do some of them to avoid double work.
One ting I want to look into is setting up the side mirrors to fold down when I put the car in park like a lot of these newer cars have. I know I"m probably high if i think I can somehow get that to work, but I want to look into it anyway. Oooh new Thread Idea! What are you doing to your vehicle during this pandemic. Ok That blows never mind. I'm stalling because I came on here to ask Mr. Mooseman something but I'll be darned if I cant remember what it was. I REALLY want to work on obtaining a Tech2 type scanner. I do not know what the alternatives are. I know there's mounds of talk about it on here. Its just that starting to reach something that talked about is daunting. I just wanted someone to say hey,for $250 you can get one of these and it does most of what the Tech2 does. I really just need it to have bidirectional capability. I"d also like if it wasn't just fr GM vehicles but I don't even know if the T2 is or not but I feel like it is or hat I have to buy something expensive to make it work with on of the other cars. So i g can find something good, can I give it to the site and you guy do another giveaway? That was fun. And that's 1.4 minutes you will never get back.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You would not ordinarily consider this item as one of THE Most Important Tools to own... But under the present circumstances...it WILL work SO well that it WILL give you a sense of satisfaction each and every time you use it...In More Ways Than ONE:

The ZYLISS Manual Can Opener is just THAT Tool (...available for $15.50 on Amazon):

ZYLISS.jpg

NOTHING is more aggravating than being Hungry and winding up Butchering The Lids of the Canned Foods you want to get into ASAP. THIS is the ONLY Can Opener I have ever owned that works FLAWLESSLY each and every time I've had to use it. I got a Green Colored version of this one nearly 10 Years ago and the only reason I purchased THIS one was because the Roller Can Lid Cutter Blade was beginning to get a little dull... and yet that one STILL Works well, too:

bon appétit

Attachments

• ZYLISS1.jpg
    ZYLISS1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3
  • ZYLISS2.jpg
    ZYLISS2.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 3
  • ZYLISS3.jpg
    ZYLISS3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3
  • ZYLISS4.jpg
    ZYLISS4.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
  • ZYLISS5.jpg
    ZYLISS5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3
  • ZYLISS6.jpg
    ZYLISS6.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: Reprise

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In these trying times you may also consider saving some money for use on something other than yet another gizmo and buying something simply functional for under a buck.

1585306180266.png

Reactions: Beacon and Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A cordless reciprocating saw also works. Also exhaust pipe tubing cutters :biggrin:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
maybe I have all your 10mms. I have like 20 and have no clue where they all came from. 9/16, 5/8 and 5/16 though... those keep disappearing and I don't know why.

The other thing I've found out is my socket drawer is so heavy it actually broke the track on the drawer... guess 100lbs is too much.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Does anyone have any experience with the heat induction guns that heat up stuck bolts?

Mini-Ductor Venom seems to be the best, at a cost though... $300-$600.
Mini-Ductor and Mini-Ductor II seem to be next and quite a bit cheaper than the Venom at around $220.

I'm just curious on the number of times a flame has to be used, because the heat inductor gun was too big to get close enough to a bolt?

It might be better/cheaper for a newer person looking at tools, to buy a cheap heat induction gun vs buying an oxy acetylene torch.

Reactions: Schurkey

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Back on March 20th, 2020... In Post # 540, @Mooseman photo-displayed his great deal on a KyZee Model KC-10 Digital Circuit Probe Tool Kit. I followed up on his suggestion that very day and found a Power Probe III Kit on Amazon Prime for $92.66 with Free S&H.

I opted for this one because I did not have the Coupon he'd mentioned. Also, based upon the Extra Features included with the KyZee Tool Kit... @Mooseman STOLE that Damned Thing! Just an FYI... 39 Days later (and with VERY Good Reasons...) this Kit arrived arrived late so that others may EAT and receive other survival needs... but it DID eventually arrive:

POWERPROBE3ORDER.jpg

I took some unboxing images and posted them on my "Flickr-Bucket" via this link:

NOTE:

If you are considering getting a Probing Circuit Tester like the KyZee KC-10 and the PowerProbe III and Later... Being mindful of its non-trivial ability to POWER UP Motors, Pumps and Lights can represent a Real Danger to CANBUS Wiring and Systems connected to the PCM & BCM.

This Video is an Excellent Primer on what this Device CAN do... and When You should be Very Wary of using it as well. The YT VOP (Video Original Poster) AnthonyJ350 has many Videos like this one explaining "How To Use" a PowerProbe III Tool Kit under certain Diagnostic Problems :

EDIT: 06/27/2022

Eric "O" from South Main Auto demonstrated using his Brand NEW Power Probe IV Kit while Diagnosing an EVAP Purge Valve in this VERY Comprehensive investigation of a P0440 Code and most of the OTHER EVAP System Codes going off as well:

The Hands On Tool Use begins at around 5:15 into this showing of the Power Probe IV Kit:

Chevrolet EVAP Diagnosis: Codes P0440, P0442, P0449, P0453

EDIT:

I went to www.powerprobe.com and Downloaded THIS PDF Instruction Manual for anyone curious about the Features of the PP3 Tool Kit:

Attachments

• PP3_English-PDF.pdf
    638.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is a pretty good price on an actual PowerProbe III. Here, it's $152CAD (~$109USD). And don't forget, my KyZee was in CAD funds so I paid ~$56USD :biggrin:

I just recently used mine to diagnose a non-operative windshield washer. I had an old spare one that I also tested with it that was also seized. Made it quick and easy to test stuff.

• Love
Reactions: mrrsm

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
A cordless reciprocating saw also works. Also exhaust pipe tubing cutters :biggrin:

Or a cutoff wheel! (if you're willing to put the can sideways & let the contents pour out) :biggrin:

While I like 'cheap' as much as the next guy, I have an OXO can opener that was similar in price / design to the Xyliss - and I got it b/c it's specifically made for people who have trouble using one (arthritis, anyone?) And, yes, the OXO works as promised -- worth the spend (to me).

Back to actual automotive tools. Need to go rent a puller for my balancer, as none of the ones I had were suitable (for various reasons; not going into it now. But I *am* a bit annoyed.) Going to get the Chrysler tool, as it's supposed to be the cat's PJs for LS crank pulleys. We'll see...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online