LED Mod Thread

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 31, 2017
PA
I tried to install LED bulbs in the map lights, but every time I do, it blows the #4 fuse. The regular bulbs work fine in all 4 sockets, the 2 above the front seats and the 2 above the back seats. I didn't even try to put one in the cargo area yet. Any ideas what could be happening?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I tried to install LED bulbs in the map lights, but every time I do, it blows the #4 fuse. The regular bulbs work fine in all 4 sockets, the 2 above the front seats and the 2 above the back seats. I didn't even try to put one in the cargo area yet. Any ideas what could be happening?

Check the pins on your LED bulbs and make sure they are straight, not crooked so they aren't causing a short. Also, turn your dome lights off before installing them. Do this by pushing the dome light override button on the headlight switch. It's generally a good practice to not hook things up to a live circuit :twocents:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
You may have a defective bulb that's shorted out. I have all interior led bulbs in my 02 and only the side lights needed small mods to the lamp housings. You have to install the bulbs correctly to avoid shorting connections to the aluminum reflector.

Reactions: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 31, 2017
PA
I haven't gotten around to replacing the domes with new bulbs yet, but I did pick up a set of LEDs for the turn signals. Are they supposed to be hyper fast or is there a way to fix that?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I haven't gotten around to replacing the domes with new bulbs yet, but I did pick up a set of LEDs for the turn signals. Are they supposed to be hyper fast or is there a way to fix that?
You need to wire in some resistors to correct hyperflash.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Here's the link for the Flasher Module post I have in the EBay thread:
http://www.gmtnation.com/forums/threads/tridon-lm486-flasher-relay-corrects-hyperflash.17072/

Or buy the LM486 (not 487) LED flasher module to replace the OEM one just above the brake pedal.
True, although an expensive route compared to the cost of resistors.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Can you run 2 6 ohm resistors in series if you can't get your hands on 3 ohm?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Can you run 2 6 ohm resistors in series if you can't get your hands on 3 ohm?

That would be 12 ohms. Put them in parallel, that would make the circuit equivalent to 3 ohms.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Looking for an add a fuse to wire my DRL Led strip. So far nothing. I've been all over town for them. Here's what I've found so far, if anyone can chime in if any of these are alternatives to an add a fuse, that would be much appreciated :confused:

I think you may be misunderstanding how the add-a-fuse functions. Other than the last item you posted, which is a fuse holder for a single circuit, the rest of those items are plugs/connectors. Great for replacing damaged ones, or making mods, modular so you don't have to have long constant runs of wires, depending on what you're doing.

With the add-a-fuse, there's a fuse type connection that goes where the existing fuse goes, and 2 places for fuses. The bottom one is for the original circuit, so it works as normal. The top one is for the added connection, which is connected to the wire that leads to your mod.

Addafuse.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
That would be 12 ohms. Put them in parallel, that would make the circuit equivalent to 3 ohms.

OK, thanks. One of mine went out and I have hyperflash on one side, plus, now when I hit the brakes, the front park lights come on...

So, like this:

ParallelCircuit.jpg

This is a temporary fix until the LM486 module I ordered comes in.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I think you may be misunderstanding how the add-a-fuse functions. Other than the last item you posted, which is a fuse holder for a single circuit, the rest of those items are plugs/connectors. Great for replacing damaged ones, or making mods, modular so you don't have to have long constant runs of wires, depending on what you're doing.

With the add-a-fuse, there's a fuse type connection that goes where the existing fuse goes, and 2 places for fuses. The bottom one is for the original circuit, so it works as normal. The top one is for the added connection, which is connected to the wire that leads to your mod.

Addafuse.jpg

Yeah I was aware of how an add a fuse works. I was thinking of making one myself as I just can't seem to find it anywhere :Banghead:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
OK. Wired up in parallel and it works stopped the front park lights from turning on when I brake too. Thanks @Sparky!

Next up is the flashing low beams...I think I need two new relays for that as I swapped them and it still flashes. The joys of owning an old truck!

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@Blckshdw If not using an add a fuse, is there another way of wiring up the leds to turn on with the ignition? Or is using an add a fuse the best way? Thanks

You can purchase fuse taps, and use them in conjunction with the fuse holders you were able to find locally.

ATC%20Fuse%20Tap.jpg

Insert them into the slot along with the fuse, and then use a crimp on connector to connect one end of the fuse holder to it. The other end of the fuse holder leads to your circuit. Not as clean of a solution, but would be just as safe.

fuse%20block%20accessaories.jpg

IMG_7411b.jpg

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Here's the link for the Flasher Module post I have in the EBay thread:
http://www.gmtnation.com/forums/threads/tridon-lm486-flasher-relay-corrects-hyperflash.17072/

True, although an expensive route compared to the cost of resistors.
Yes, but you eliminate two of the advantages of using LEDs - lower power consumption and waste heat.
On my motorcycle I bypassed a similar flasher module and installed a generic $3 chinese electronic flasher. That may not work with the TB BCM - perhaps someone has already tried this?

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
You can purchase fuse taps, and use them in conjunction with the fuse holders you were able to find locally.

ATC%20Fuse%20Tap.jpg

Insert them into the slot along with the fuse, and then use a crimp on connector to connect one end of the fuse holder to it. The other end of the fuse holder leads to your circuit. Not as clean of a solution, but would be just as safe.

fuse%20block%20accessaories.jpg

IMG_7411b.jpg

One thing is I just checked how my fog lights are wired up from wherever the previous owner got them done. The shop tapped into the parking lights wiring and then ran a standalone fuse connected to the fuse box. Would I be able to do the same by tapping into the ignition wire or so? And is this safe? Thanks

Will post pics soon if you want :2thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Would I be able to do the same by tapping into the ignition wire or so? And is this safe?

Fuse #22 in the front fuse block is what I tapped into for my LED eyebrow strips.

Again went hunting for something to act as a add a fuse. The closest I got to something were these

I think you're missing the way this works. If you look back at the 2nd pic I posted, see the blue thing? That's an insulated version of the last item you posted.

You're going to have to order the parts you need online, those items aren't usually stocked in stores here either. They should still be pretty cheap to buy and ship due to their tiny size.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Fuse #22 in the front fuse block is what I tapped into for my LED eyebrow strips.

I think you're missing the way this works. If you look back at the 2nd pic I posted, see the blue thing? That's an insulated version of the last item you posted.

You're going to have to order the parts you need online, those items aren't usually stocked in stores here either. They should still be pretty cheap to buy and ship due to their tiny size.

Ahh yes I just noticed. Well I guess there's no way around this. Will check online then. Thanks :2thumbsup:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 31, 2017
PA
thank you guys for the tip about the load resistors, I never would have guessed that would be the fix. Now I just have to solder them inline and it should be good I guess.

When you guys upgraded to LED low beams, did you run into any issues or can you recommend to me a certain bulb I should use?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
thank you guys for the tip about the load resistors, I never would have guessed that would be the fix. Now I just have to solder them inline and it should be good I guess.

Wire them in parallel, NOT in series, or you will have a very bad day. :nono: See below.

LED_bulb_fix_zpsb889adf7.gif

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mar 31, 2017
PA
Those bulbs look great, thank you. They are definitely on my to do list.

I didn't notice, but do both front turn signal / marker lights have 3 wires?

Reactions: Capote

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
On my motorcycle I bypassed a similar flasher module and installed a generic $3 chinese electronic flasher. That may not work with the TB BCM - perhaps someone has already tried this?

That's what the lm486 does which he linked. Much bigger deal than on your motorcycle as the module controls turn, hazard, and trailer lights, blah blah blah you get the idea lol.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hey guy's anyone want to recommend a set of led tail light bulbs for my Voy I currently have the ascender tail light housing on there with some b.s leds but I think it's time to step it up.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hey guy's anyone want to recommend a set of led tail light bulbs for my Voy I currently have the ascender tail light housing on there with some b.s leds but I think it's time to step it up.

I am curious how do the Ascender tails look on the voy. Do you think you could put TB lights on an Envoy? AFAIK I think there are wayyyyy more options for the TB compared to the Envoy.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am curious how do the Ascender tails look on the voy. Do you think you could put TB lights on an Envoy? AFAIK I think there are wayyyyy more options for the TB compared to the Envoy.

Really??? You have been around this long, know how to search, and are still asking about TB tails on an Envoy?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No. Sheet metal is different sothey won't bolt up. Ascender and Envoy share rear quarter sheet metal though.

Bravada and Rainier share sheet metal too I think, but I could be wrong.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
No. Sheet metal is different sothey won't bolt up. Ascender and Envoy share rear quarter sheet metal though.

Bravada and Rainier share sheet metal too I think, but I could be wrong.

Bravada rainier and the Saab are the same sheet metal...
I've never actually seen an ascender in person to know which sheet metal it shares...Looks like an envoy quarter panel tho

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
All that desert heat over there bakes your brain.....:poke:

You bet!!! But I guess it also has to do with the fact that I was on the road half the day and after a while all those stupid drivers really drive me mad:hissyfit:

On topic i am planning to at least do some perimeter lighting LEDs after my failed retrofit so stay tuned for that hopefully :diggrave:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
That's what the lm486 does which he linked. Much bigger deal than on your motorcycle as the module controls turn, hazard, and trailer lights, blah blah blah you get the idea lol.
Actually the OEM unit was a similar type of solid state module. I bypassed only the flashing function. As long as the BCM is not controlling or monitoring it, it should be possible on the TB. The nice thing about the chinese flasher is that by changing a resistor or capacitor I could set the flashing pattern exactly as I liked it.
Seeing how much the lm486 costs - I'll add the experiment to my project list. It seems no one has tried this.

Last edited:

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky

I think this would look sick. Relocate the turn signal to the clear reverse part of the lens. Use a switch back bulb to perform double duty of turn signal and reverse light. Replace the turn signal with an additional brake light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online