4.2L I6 Head Removal/Engine Restoration

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
NJTB said:
Are you able to access the bellhousing bolts with a REAL long extension and a swivel socket from underneath the car?

The ones on the bottom and sides, yes. The ones on the top (almost center but not quite) *!@$ no!! BAHAHAHAHA IT DRIVES ME INSANE!!!!!?!?!!?!

But no, I'm sorry that's not possible unfortunately.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I still say the rad's coming out. You' 're gonna have the oil pan now.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Mooseman said:
I still say the rad's coming out. You' 're gonna have the oil pan now.

Oops, connection lost on the live feed...

(connection back up) And the engine is in, as you can see we didn't have to remove the rad when installing it.. :wink: :wink: :raspberry:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
HAHAHAHA!!! Aaahhh... No. I'm afraid there isn't any room for CHEAPSHOT CALLS on our end!!!

You guys make me piss my pants sometimes with some of the stuff you say, I swear man haha! -Octane

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Alright, il admit defeat. Pm me you address and I'll send you a picture of Willy. I said $5, didn't say which currency :tongue:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
strat81 said:
Darn canucks and their metric dollars. :wink:

Little off topic I know BUT!.... I visited Canadia once... Knew some people up there and stayed with them. One day I let them drive my ride because well, they knew where we were going... Next thing were going down the highway 80MPH... He looks at me after a bit and says, wait, were going pretty damn fast, passing everyone, is your speedo off? I said no, its not... He says, well it says were going 80 but it seems more like 120... I said WTF are you talking about, that thing is in MPH...

Apparently he didn't know that our speedos are in MPH with KPH in the middle in tiny letters. Yea, stupid story but I had to share...

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Hate to admit to that McGMT but some people up here in the frozen north might not clue into the fact that mph and kph are not the same or I am sure even some of our southern friends might not realize there is a difference. :rotfl::rotfl:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
You guys are both fine.. We're not talking about the truck anyways :wink:

You know, I've always wanted to visit Canada.. I went on a trip to Europe a few years ago and got stranded with a tour group. As it turns out, there were some pretty gorgeous Canadian women in that tour group. They were so much like Anericans, except they said EH? every six seconds. I managed to get a kiss from one, although physical contact from members of the opposite sex was highly prohibited.

A hotel room in Paris, France called Hotel de Paris changed all that though... :smile: Canadians rock!

When I was in Afghanistan during my last deployment I managed to walk by a few members of the Canadian air force in Kandahar. Not only did they have their hair grown ridiculously out, but they walked with their hands in their pockets while in uniform and also liked to flip their hats up.

A story one U.S. Marine will never forget.....

Give me a few minutes and I'll post a picture of something I'm sure some of you might like.

It just came in this morning from the factory!!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
View attachment 22804

It's beautiful. Just came in from Charlotte this morning...

New Delco starter.. Check.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347716317.350172.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347716317.350172.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 110

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
strat81 said:
Darn canucks and their metric dollars. :wink:

Which are worth more than the US Pesos. Heading to NY to shop right now :wootwoot:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
We're going live again tonight at 7:00 eastern, if you're bored and need a good laugh, swing on over to www.qik.com/octanerider03 and watch us go through the pain and sweat of dropping our motor back into the engine bay!

Remember, anything goes guys. Feel free to give us a ring and let us know what YOU have to say (trash talk, advice, good word or questions). The number you'll be able to reach us at is 910-787-5289

We'll be broadcasting tonight from 7:00 to 11:30. You CAN view the livestream broadcast from your smartphones or pc's.

So grab a brew, kick back in the chair and hangout with us as we continue on with another episode of "As the Wrench Turns" -Octane

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Radiator is coming out I bet :biggrin:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Voymom said:
Radiator is coming out I bet :biggrin:

You shouldn't say such things.. You might lose money.

The feed is live right nowbut I'm waiting on Mike to get here so hang tight!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
You shouldn't say such things.. You might lose money.

The feed is live right nowbut I'm waiting on Mike to get here so hang tight!

LOL I was watching it until my daughter restarted my computer. I'm going to say, I bet you....I dunno yet. Hubby would KILL me if I bet money and lost lmao

Hubby says NOOOO....If he got the engine out without removing the rad, he can probably get it back in without removing the rad. So i'm not betting on anything until I here "Oh Shit".....LMAO

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Were still broadcasting!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Lee says...If the feed goes down to just hit refresh....or at least that is what I think I heard him say lol.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
View attachment 22830

Tomorrow night.. It's going in.

I hope none of you find yourselves in this predicament. Stay frosty -Octane

Thanks to Voymom for kicking it with us up to this point during the live feed!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347766203.280272.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347766203.280272.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 142

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
View attachment 9275

Tomorrow night.. It's going in.

I hope none of you find yourselves in this predicament. Stay frosty -Octane

Thanks to Voymom for kicking it with us up to this point during the live feed!

Ummm forgive me for being ignorant or whatever but ... What in the wide world of sports are you doing? Are you really that determined not to remove a few bolts and a rad that your uhhh wow.... Im just gonna shut my mouth now... HAVE FUN!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Watch it go in. Nice and easy.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Without the radiator, it still doesn't gain clearance. Unless you're here, just stand back.

I can assure you that there is a method to the madness.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
Without the radiator, it still doesn't gain clearance. Unless you're here, just stand back.

I can assure you that there is a method to the madness.

That's why I said some bolts, get the core support out of the way, but it's ur baby and that's why I said have fun...

GCTB1289

Mar 19, 2012
Good luck and i thought you were painting the motor before it went back in?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I would rather lose a $5 bet, than lose a $5 bet and even more $$$ fixing the things that can possibly break when forcing something into place. Forcing stuff never goes over well lol.

I WILL be watching tonight!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
GCTB1289 said:
Good luck and i thought you were painting the motor before it went back in?

Just the valve cover! We decided to back off spraying the entire motor down, way too labor intense/pointless in our opinion. -Octane

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Voymom said:
I would rather lose a $5 bet, than lose a $5 bet and even more $$$ fixing the things that can possibly break when forcing something into place. Forcing stuff never goes over well lol.

I WILL be watching tonight!

It was the engine firewall..... He was scratching into it and I told him to back up off it, which he did. I've got 750 left to blow.. If it tears completely it's being replaced.

It's going in Tami... You'll see.

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
You people need to start putting forth a little more good grace for us, it gets old whe things sound repetitious on your end.

Be more supportive, stop trying to take us out! We're pioneer's we make our own rules! :smile: :raspberry:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
You people need to start putting forth a little more good grace for us, it gets old whe things sound repetitious on your end.

Be more supportive, stop trying to take us out! We're pioneer's we make our own rules! :smile: :raspberry:

I'm actually rooting for you guys to get it in without the Radiator being removed. I have faith, but I also like yanking chains and being a smart ass! Just giving ya'll some shit! It's fun :biggrin: :raspberry:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
We know that! We love you Tami, I was just being a sarcastic little ass about things!

We'll let you know before we go live again tonight!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
We know that! We love you Tami, I was just being a sarcastic little ass about things!

We'll let you know before we go live again tonight!

Sounds great!!! We'll be watching!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
You didn't see the truck almost roll forward on me last night by chance, did you? :biggrin:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
You didn't see the truck almost roll forward on me last night by chance, did you? :biggrin:

:biggrin: I did!! Twice!

And then when you about fell while leaning on the hoist. That was funny!! :rotfl:

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
That was the alcohol talking. At that point I was beyond buzzed.. I couldn't look at the engine close up without having liquid encouragement first. I knew it was going to be extremely painful..

Oh yeah, sudden death alright. The truck just rolled right on me. I back out within a matter of a split second with bug eyes..

Priceless moments like that I hold on to I suppose.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
OctaneRider03 said:
That was the alcohol talking. At that point I was beyond buzzed.. I couldn't look at the engine close up without having liquid encouragement first. I knew it was going to be extremely painful..

Oh yeah, sudden death alright. The truck just rolled right on me. I back out within a matter of a split second with bug eyes..

Priceless moments like that I hold on to I suppose.

I know the feeling, whenever we do anything to the truck I get nervous. Even if it's minor, I'm always worried that when one thing is fixed, something much worse is going to happen. I have had many sleepless nights because of GM lol. I remember when we were replacing the water pump early this summer, and 2 bolts broke far into the engine block.....I stayed up pondering how to fix the damn thing as I had a meet that weekend. I used tweezers to pry one bolt out without messing the threads up, and then hubby went and got easy out's for the other bolt. We were running on about 45 min of sleep, I was inside almost in tears, smoked about half a pack of cigarettes, to the point where I got sick. It took Mat about 10 minutes with the easy out to get the broken bolt out of the engine block. I was so thankful!!

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
Alright, we continue on with lowering the motor back in tonight! We go live at 7:00 through 11:30 eastern, so come hang out with us and be sure not to miss the craziness that seems to happen as we progress!

My truck almost rolled on top of me lastnight/crushed me. I'm praying we don't have a repeat of this tonight.. -Octane

Www.qik.com/octanerider03

OctaneRider03

Original poster
Jul 31, 2012
There going to be a slight delay. Expect broadcast time to shift to the right as we are experiencing thunderstorms in the area here in NC. Broadcast time 8:00 PM -Octane

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
OctaneRider03 said:
My truck almost rolled on top of me lastnight/crushed me. I'm praying we don't have a repeat of this tonight.. -Octane

Perhaps you should chock the wheels. You can buy plastic ones, or just just a 12" length of 4x4 lumber.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online