What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Not mine, but the roommates... His suspension is shot to hell, so we went down to the AFB hobby shop with some KYBs from Shockwarehouse and used the lift.

20150207_092510.jpg

Didn't get to take the usual obscene amount of pictures that get dumped into the mini meets thread, since I was doing work this time. While Kent and Carlos worked on the struts up front, I was doing the shocks in the rear. :thumbsup:

20150207_101305.jpg

They had 3 bench/wall mount spring compressors, so it took us a little while to figure out which one was gonna be the easiest for us to use. After the spring got swapped on the 1st strut, I took a spin on swapping the 2nd one, while the guys installed the first back on the truck. No one was harmed in the process, so win for everyone.

20150207_101516.jpg

20150207_111854.jpg

But, of course nothing ever goes completely according to plan. As we were buttoning things up, we got out the trusty torque wrench and started tightening everything to spec. Well the strut yolk pinch bolt never got it's customary click, so the guys kept cranking away. For whatever reason, the torque wrench decided not to be so trusty, and the bolt snapped in half.

20150207_131736.jpg

We ended up trying to find replacements at O'Reileys, Advance and Autozone with no luck. Hit up Lowes for a Grade 8, they didn't have metric, so we tried a standard that seemed like it was close enough. Drove all the way back to the base, went to install the bolt, and it was barely too big. :hissyfit:

SOOO, we had to drive all the way back to Lowes, to swap it for the next smaller size. Went ahead and got 2, along with some washers and nylock nuts, so the opposite side would be the same. That was fun. While under there, we noticed the UCA bushings are essentially non existent, and is the source of the clunking he's been hearing. Upper ball joints are also a hot mess, so Carlos spent some time on Rockauto, we'll be back there in a couple of weeks once he gets the new parts.

RedneckEnvoy

Nov 3, 2014
Drove it to town and got the first comment I have ever heard. LOL Funniest part is it is from my cousin who has seen it before.
Trav

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Did some poking around on the front end suspension on my brother's Colorado. He had an whine coming from his front end on his way into town to help me with the house remodel, so we pulled it in over at the shop and jacked up to take a look. His passenger wheel bearing is bad. Also found that he is going to need to replace his shocks and BJs fairly soon.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Thought about it sitting in the garage in snowy Ohio and maybe what it would be like to drive it down here in Florida permanently.

Reactions: AManders6

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Changed bulb today, easy on Envoy just gotta pull up 2 tabs to release the housing. I run Silverstar Ultras and noticed the new one has more blue and a clear spot in middle. Seams brighter white now. New design bulb on right, new bulb in Envoy on right. Gonna have to get a new one for the left side now.
20150207_202856-1.jpg
20150208_130942.jpg

Reactions: CaptainKD

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
It's been a while since I posted. Busy with work and stuff.

New battery yesterday: (got tired of draining and killing lead-acid batteries while camping or talking on the radio)
20150208_140945.jpg

Put in the Pioneer in 2013, but never posted a photo. I don't like where I have the FTM-400, but oh well. It will do for now.
20150208_141212.jpg

And two permanently mounted roof antennas:
20150208_141023.jpg

20150208_141038.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I repaired the little nub on the center console lid for the third time, the first 2 I used crazy glue, this time I used Marine tex, Its stronger than the plastic it's attached to, time will tell if it holds.

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
It was actually yesterday, but after determining that my thermostat is good; I replaced the serpentine belt. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WAS THAT EASY and it runs better now, wtf? It idles down lower and doesn't slip at 6,000 RPM.

I'll keep the thermostat for when its time for that. And I determined that the fan clutch is good.

Today it got a fill up too and thanks to a longer trip my MPG jumped from 14.5 on the last tank to 16.5.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cleaned the blood off the door panel and turtlewaxed the rest of insides

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Cleaned the blood off the door panel and turtlewaxed the rest of insides
Seriously mate, these posts and no back stories! First the Range Rover and now this.

Reactions: Denali n DOO
May 5, 2013
Matt said:
Seriously mate, these posts and no back stories! First the Range Rover and now this.
Hookers and strippers, He's cleaning up the world one slut at a time....

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
dropped the TB for engine replacement this morning, wonder what else they will find that needs to be fixed

Reactions: Capote

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
I tested my recovery equipment... in my front yard.
b54fbb6f5d9160a6999ea162fc655301.jpg

38d5210124d60ab02b41909503aac2e8.jpg

turns out if your teetering on the frame, you don't get traction lol. i knew there was a chance of this happening when i went at it.
I broke the snow bank...
6947f33cad1359983a55378d1a5848ce.jpg

ad6d3db8472eb600db945fd6e30f248e.jpg

so, got to test my recovery equipment. added a shovel to the truck and i need to add a good plug to the front for the winch. the battery booster just wasn't putting out the juice i needed.

overall, fun times

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Filled it with good fuel and drove it to work.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Drove it to fill out an apprenticeship application, then drove to eat. Got it awesomely dirty with a little backroading, then hosed it down with the power washer when I got home.

Reactions: AManders6 and Sib

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Partial facelift :wink:

20150210_164230_edit_1423605200480.jpg

Waiting for sundown to try and align my cutoffs against my garbage cans, with the truck backed out halfway in the street. Hopefully not too many cars need to drive by while my ass is hanging out. :crazy:

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
Unfortunately my baby in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
20150209_165345.jpg

Yesterday I rounded up all of these things and got them to one place to start to prep it all. Today I sanded, and scuffed, and sanded and scuffed some more. Believe or or not I had a heck of a time removing the plastidip from the grill cross bar thingy. That stuff is no joke!

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Drove it to and from work. Then took some measurements and now designing a prototype for it

Dec 17, 2011
LAGNY SUR MARNE FRANCE
MAY03LT said:
attachicon.gif
20150209_165345.jpg

Yesterday I rounded up all of these things and got them to one place to start to prep it all. Today I sanded, and scuffed, and sanded and scuffed some more. Believe or or not I had a heck of a time removing the plastidip from the grill cross bar thingy. That stuff is no joke!
Hello , can you explain to me how to disassemble the mirror caps without breaking them ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
trailblazer075 said:
Hello , can you explain to me how to disassemble the mirror caps without breaking them ?
What I do with mine, is to tilt the mirror glass all the way in one direction, that will expose the tabs behind it on the opposite side. Then you can reach in with a screw driver and release the tabs. Then tilt the mirror glass again to release the other tabs.

With the Kool View mirrors, (at least the power folding ones I have now) the mirror glass simply unsnaps from the motor, so it's really easy to access the mirror cap's tabs.

Dec 17, 2011
LAGNY SUR MARNE FRANCE
Blckshdw said:
What I do with mine, is to tilt the mirror glass all the way in one direction, that will expose the tabs behind it on the opposite side. Then you can reach in with a screw driver and release the tabs. Then tilt the mirror glass again to release the other tabs.

With the Kool View mirrors, (at least the power folding ones I have now) the mirror glass simply unsnaps from the motor, so it's really easy to access the mirror cap's tabs.
Thanks!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Replaced the chime module for the stereo, it would randomly crackle and shut off the stereo. And I attempted a mock up of wiring for a future project, but that failed badly.

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
Drove it, Remembered that 2 years ago today, I bought it.

Reactions: CaptainKD and Sib

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
Took it out for a run in the mountains, on one of my favorite logging roads. Saw a small cross placed where a driver lost his life last week, the 3rd on this road in less than a year. Looks to me like washboard shunted him sideways off a corner, unfortunately one with a drop of more than 100' almost straight down at that point.

Treat the trails with respect, guys, they can definitely bite back!

Reactions: SnowBlazer

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Replaced the alternator today. That bottom bolt was a PITA. Why would they have the AC line so close. Another half inch away from the bolt, would have been nice.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sir ffeJ said:
Replaced the alternator today. That bottom bolt was a PITA. Why would they have the AC line so close. Another half inch away from the bolt, would have been nice.
Think that line is a pain for the alternator, try doing the thermostat. That sleeve they put over the lines is all kinds of abuse on your hands!

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Swapped out alternator, talk about a PITA! Worst part IMO is getting the damned thing out once it's all unbolted & unhooked.
That bottom bolt takes a minute to torque all the way -__-
Voltage did stay at 14.0, up until I drove it to the gas station. Now voltage is running at 12.2-13.5 again.....going up and down matching the acceleration and deceleration. I don't know why I'm still having that issue with new battery & new alternator...
uploadfromtaptalk1424132805974.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424132813486.jpg

Reactions: Mounce

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Capote said:
I don't know why I'm still having that issue with new battery & new alternator...
Belt?

I myself had a very fun drive home in my GMT. 2WD all the way, too, like a boss. Getting going wasn't too bad, going uphill was meh, turns were even more meh, oddly enough it was the 8% grade (going down) that was the absolute worst. Thanks, snowstorm!

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
New pair of wiperblades, filled up the fuel tank

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
diff.jpg
I changed the front diff fluid in the tahoe. The stuff that came out of it was disgusting. Hard to believe they consider it a lifetime fluid. :puke:
We got 10" of snow last night so today was the first time driving it in snow - she's a tank. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online