What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Replaced a brake light. All three screws on the light holder were completely rusted and I stripped them out. Then I used the dremel to make them flat heads and two of the heads just broke off. Son of a biscuit.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
jrSS said:
Mine are 8mm socket screws

Mine were crappy little Phillips. The one I got out I replaced with a stainless steel screw.

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
mapanch said:
Well at least GM was consistent. . . .

Lol but they are on different trucks. envoy, trailblazer, cheap phillips. SS 8 mm. and Denali Torx. Now i wonder if it was a production plant or just a model thing.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Phantom said:
Lol but they are on different trucks. envoy, trailblazer, cheap phillips. SS 8 mm. and Denali Torx. Now i wonder if it was a production plant or just a model thing.

Damn your right! I forgot the GMC's have a higher level of quality control and are a better truck overall. But you do have a point :undecided: Didn't notice it was different trucks.

ShadowClutch

Sep 5, 2012
After dropping my ratchet a few times and having to fish it from beneath the radiator, I was able to change the serp belt. Oddly, the belt that was on there seemed somewhat shorter than the one I bought (longer belt for SWB)... Got it on there and the engine is running pretty smooth, if not a little better than before. The old belt was severely cracked, but no missing ribs.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
my SS didn't come with the 8mm, I have the Philips screw head as well...

as for what I did today... I drove the beaSSt home... crate motor is being built, so in the meantime they just said, DRIVE HER HARD lol... but I do have to be careful... one, I don't know what other damage the vibration can do if I start beating the piss out of her, second, I don't want to break my tranny just yet lol, and third, I need my tires to last me until after the meet in May :rotfl:

out shopping at lowes to build up my mancave some more...
20130410_175732_zps0bf06064.jpg

home sweet home...
20130410_181857_zpsbeb71e57.jpg

and tucked away until the meet in May...
20130410_201030_zpsdd6570b3.jpg

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
as it turns out, a brand new LS2 crate motor is on a 4 month national backorder!!!!! :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::mad::mad::mad:

Tell them you have no problem taking a LS3 instead.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
mapanch said:
Damn your right! I forgot the GMC's have a higher level of quality control and are a better truck overall. But you do have a point :undecided: Didn't notice it was different trucks.
I hope this was a joke...GMC does not have better trucks.

Boricua SS said:
my SS didn't come with the 8mm, I have the Philips screw head as well...

as for what I did today... I drove the beaSSt home... crate motor is being built, so in the meantime they just said, DRIVE HER HARD lol... but I do have to be careful... one, I don't know what other damage the vibration can do if I start beating the piss out of her, second, I don't want to break my tranny just yet lol, and third, I need my tires to last me until after the meet in May :rotfl:

out shopping at lowes to build up my mancave some more...
20130410_175732_zps0bf06064.jpg

home sweet home...
20130410_181857_zpsbeb71e57.jpg

and tucked away until the meet in May...
20130410_201030_zpsdd6570b3.jpg

Beat that thing. Take it out play since you are paying on it.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Short Bus said:
Tell them you have no problem taking a LS3 instead.

see I would, but that would require a lot of other changes... changes that I couldn't afford...

HARDTRAILZ said:

I already had her sideways in the rain today :lipsrsealed::rotfl:

but I could tell someone was having fun in it... first, they jacked my seat settings all up (I hate that chit).. then when I dropped it off over a month ago, it had over 1/2 a tank of gas... today, it was on E... :hissyfit:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
fr34kout said:
My interior alone would like to have a word with you lol

I second this...^^^

Not necessarily a better "Built" truck, however interior appearance in the GMC's or at least Envoy's compared to TB wins hands down, but then again it seems that GMC builds more for luxury than anything else. I do admit I like the exterior look of the TB better than the Envoy though.

I still think that Envoy's are far better, but I am a bit biased lol

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Voymom said:
I second this...^^^

Not necessarily a better "Built" truck, however interior appearance in the GMC's or at least Envoy's compared to TB wins hands down, but then again it seems that GMC builds more for luxury than anything else. I do admit I like the exterior look of the TB better than the Envoy though.

I still think that Envoy's are far better, but I am a bit biased lol

Every envoy I looked at had wood grain. :thumbdown:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Reinstalled my passenger side retro head light. The cutoff for the projector needed some adjustments made to make it level.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
DDonnie said:
Every envoy I looked at had wood grain. :thumbdown:

And every TB I looked at was too plain....I think it is more of a personal preference.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
GMC uses better leather than Chevy, and Cadillac uses better leather than GMC. Not sure if there is a difference between the TB and Envoy, but the newer Tahoe's leather feels almost fake.
The TB dash looks almost exactly like the old Blazers, the Envoy looks a lot more modern.
The "wood grain" I honestly didn't like it at first and wanted to use a carbon fiber vinyl to cover it up, but since I have the Denali with a real wood steering wheel it stays.
The Envoys came with self leveling air suspension, the TB's (except for the SS) came with coil springs
I honestly like the exterior styling on GMC's more than I do on Chevy's, I can't think of 1 exception. Now Cadillac and Chevy, the only Chevy counterpart I think looks better is the Vette because the XLR looks dumb.

That's all I could come up with off the top of my head lol

Boricua SS said:
see I would, but that would require a lot of other changes... changes that I couldn't afford...

I don't think you would have to change too much with a long block. The 4l70 could probably hold the power of the L99, just gotta buy the adapter for the LS7 style MAF and maybe a retune. Swap over the accessory drive and it just might work haha. I hope you finally get all of this worked out bro.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I think the Envoys are ugly personally. Kinda the pansy version of a solid SUV. I don't like them inside or out but I am respectful enough not to say Chevrolet is better.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think the Envoys are ugly personally. Kinda the pansy version of a solid SUV. I don't like them inside or out but I am respectful enough not to say Chevrolet is better.

:rotfl:

Yeah I kind of associate them with wanna be thug guys who like the lean back and say things like "fo sizzle my nizzle" and like to jam 500 subwoofers in their car for whatever reason and usually will end up deaf by age 35.

I know, I just stereo typed half the forum. Sorry guys. Just bustin ya balls. :raspberry::raspberry:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
but I could tell someone was having fun in it... first, they jacked my seat settings all up (I hate that chit).. then when I dropped it off over a month ago, it had over 1/2 a tank of gas... today, it was on E... :hissyfit:

I would be having a few more words with them...also, keep an eye on the odometer.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
I've said it before...I prefer the looks of Chevy trucks over GMC trucks. I prefer Saab over both.

Too bad they didn't make a Saab version of the GMT800. :undecided:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wish they made the Saab with a real transfer case cause I do like the rounded wheelwells.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Boricua SS said:

I hate when they do that. I went in for a simple fix and to check the car with a full tank of gas! The next day I came back it had a quarter tank left.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
It was yesterday, but we had to add 2 quarts of oil to the Envoy...not sure where it went since there is no evidence of leakage. It has been almost a year since we did the oil change so we will be doing that next month. Added wiper fluid and checked the coolant, I seem to also be VERY slightly low on coolant when cold, although that's just in the overflow, but it is just slightly under the cold fill line, not sure where that is going either lol

All in all it's running good, my gas mileage went up since I got pulled over for speeding and a brake light out on Easter Day :redface: I did get out of the ticket though....time for a new radar detector I think :biggrin:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Boricua SS said:

I would be having a talk with someone because they know there is a engine problem already so why do they need to drive it???? I would write the milage down next time and monitor it..:hissyfit::hissyfit:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:

Since we have both, I can't say that either Kyle. I like both of our trucks, maybe not equally since of course I love my Envoy, but I do like and enjoy driving the TB. The plain-ness doesn't really bother me either. In fact before I found the Envoy I had my heart and soul set on a TB, I just didn't care for the look of the extended version's exterior, it look's far longer than the envoy from the outside, which I think has to do with how the back window appears. If I didn't need the LWB I would have bought a Trailblazer :redface:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I feel that the Envoys in/out are a better looking stock truck(excluding the SS)however, the Tbs lend themselves to customization better and there is much more available aftermarket for the Tbs.
In the end all of the variants of the 360 are basically the same great trucks under their respective skins :thumbsup:

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
I got my Trailblazer back last night.

Today I re-mounted the emergency lights in the back and got them hooked up again. Now to do the front.

I was so sure I was not keeping the vehicle I was frustrated and pulled all the lighting out. D'oh!

Chris

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
northcreek said:
In the end all of the variants of the 360 are basically the same great trucks under their respective skins :thumbsup:

Not really. Only Envoys and Trailblazers had low range transfer cases.

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I hope this was a joke...GMC does not have better trucks.

Yeah it was a joke. I forgot the purple text :lipsrsealed: Was thinking back to Roadie's example of the "lies that dealers tell" story, when he bought his Voy.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
HARDTRAILZ said:
Not really. Only Envoys and Trailblazers had low range transfer cases.

That's why I put the "basically" in there :tongue:

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
well i had my truck towed yesterday to the the dealership the ignition was pooched could not turn the key at all. rick my friend there told me it is the ignition cylinder so there ordered a new one and it should be done tomorrow. sucked that i could not fix it myself all because the keys need to be re-programed

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
fr34kout said:
I don't think you would have to change too much with a long block. The 4l70 could probably hold the power of the L99, just gotta buy the adapter for the LS7 style MAF and maybe a retune. Swap over the accessory drive and it just might work haha. I hope you finally get all of this worked out bro.

:rotfl: I wish it were that easy my friend... we are actually talking about this over on tbssowners right now.. and to quote Erik (Scarab) here are just "a few" things that I would have to do...

You wont be able to drop it in and go, a LS3 will have at minimum the larger displacement and a different cam vs the stock LS2. You will need to swap the oil pan, intake, wiring harness too. Also, the LS3 will come with larger injectors in the intake, but in order to run the TBSS accessory drive you need to use the stock truck intake. I would recommend using the LS3 injectors as they're 42lb vs stock LS2 29lb so you have a little room for upgrades. If you plan to do this, you'll need a set of injector spacers so they will work in the stock TBSS fuel rail.

I haven't seen it mentioned but you will need to swap out the cam sprocket also.

that's just too much for me right now money wise... so I'll take my free crate LS2 :rotfl:

Matt said:
I would be having a few more words with them...also, keep an eye on the odometer.

already sat with the Service manager from the other dealer that I had look at the tranny, because they were the ones driving it to the original dealer to get the work done...

kjkim93 said:
I hate when they do that. I went in for a simple fix and to check the car with a full tank of gas! The next day I came back it had a quarter tank left.

see they usually never mess with my seat... but I got in and damn near hit my head on the roof :hissyfit:

Fire06 said:
I would be having a talk with someone because they know there is a engine problem already so why do they need to drive it???? I would write the milage down next time and monitor it..:hissyfit::hissyfit:

that's the first thing I do is take a pic of the mileage... but now shes home safe and sound... so until the new motor comes in, I'll be the only one touchin her...

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
bigytwotone said:
well i had my truck towed yesterday to the the dealership the ignition was pooched could not turn the key at all. rick my friend there told me it is the ignition cylinder so there ordered a new one and it should be done tomorrow. sucked that i could not fix it myself all because the keys need to be re-programed

You sure? My keys aren't chipped...

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
replaced the air filter with a proper one...got rid of that k&n thing

drove my wife to HD (yes in the TB) where she surprised me with a set of rolling toolboxes as an early Father's Day gift

she's sneaky in a cool way and I love her for it

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
So my noisy wheel bearing is no more. It use to be loud and when I turned towards left the noise would increase turning right it would fade away. The driver side did end up to be the noisy one. So I got both new hubs installed and had zero issues, everything came apart real easy. It's hard for me to believe I did it myself but all the info here helped tons. Thanks HARDTRAILZ for the tip on the 36 mm socket, I couldn't find a 35 anywhere to loan.

I think the clunking is the sway bar bushings, driver side seems real easy to move around with a prybar, passenger side not quite as bad but maybe explains why I hear the clunking on both sides. 2 new bushings are ordered and I'll change them next weekend (special order from US).

Got rid of the ugly snows and back to looking good again....

This was done yesterday but too many celebration Buds to post last night.

Attachments

• DSC03253.jpg
    DSC03253.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03254.jpg
    DSC03254.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03258.jpg
    DSC03258.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC03252.jpg
    DSC03252.jpg