What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
jrSS said:
Places for ur gmt to commit suicide?? Lol.

Well I did say I gave him a bath lol :rotfl:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
Just washed it!!! But it's dirty again lol took it to take pictures for the next picture contest :raspberry:

Your doin' good if you can keep a black truck clean for 15 min.

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Short Bus said:
Your doin' good if you can keep a black truck clean for 15 min.

Yeah, black trucks do get pretty dirty:
7422573688_cc82fc829f_z.jpg

:raspberry:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I can tell you what I'm getting ready to do.

I don't remember installing a set of Super Swamper TSL's. :crazy: Noise has increased exponentionally the last few days.

Attachments

• Front bearing1.jpg
    Front bearing1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 20

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
i dont have pix, but i started my SS today for the first time in 2 weeks as it is parked for the winter.. if that counts as "what i did to my GMT today" :raspberry:, and she fired up like a champ!! kinda surprised too... i've read some horror stories of a dead battery due to sitting, etc... she wont go this long without being started again though, thats for sure...

My dad would always start his vehicles and let them run for 10-15 minutes if he didn't drive them very often. I know he didn't drive his astro van in the winter so he would go out and start it, let it purr for a few minutes and shut her off. He did it with all his summer vehicles during the winter time storage.

I haven't done anything to my GMT today, It's a Sunday, so it's our lazy day lol :wootwoot:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
gmcman said:
I can tell you what I'm getting ready to do.

I don't remember installing a set of Super Swamper TSL's. :crazy: Noise has increased exponentionally the last few days.

Good call on the Timken parts. I installed a pair of cheapos on mine last either late last year or early this year. They aren't shot yet, but i can hear them again

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
SBUBandit said:
Good call on the Timken parts. I installed a pair of cheapos on mine last either late last year or early this year. They aren't shot yet, but i can hear them again

After I heard a few people go through the same as you I didn't want to chance it. Autozone had it for $157 including tax so it was a great price especially being local.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Replaced the rear brakes on my moms yukon

Attachments

• 20120930_191714.jpg
    20120930_191714.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20120930_191705.jpg
    20120930_191705.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20120930_191727.jpg
    20120930_191727.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20120930_191655.jpg
    20120930_191655.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 17

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Went from 90k stock front shocks to Bilstein HDs (did rears a few weeks ago). Only regret is not doing it sooner, should have done that right after buying it with 34k miles. Highly recommend.

Also replaced front differential fluid, luckily the plugs were pretty easy. Hopefully the rear works out that easy when I do that soon.

Finally, was getting a brake squeal on 9 month old pads/rotors. Pulled 'em, re-greased, and sanded a beveled edge and deglazed the surface. No more squeal!

All in all, a good (long) afternoon of work but happy with all outcomes. Would have cost me $300 or so for the same work so I definitely feel it was worth my time.

ramrod919

Sep 4, 2012
It wasn't today, at least not all of it. But Saturday, I swapped out motor mounts. :thumbsup: The passenger one was torn and leaking!!

However, in the process, I jacked the fan shroud into the upper radiator hose and cracked the radiator. So, I ordered a new one and I am waiting for it to arrive. Today, I went and picked up a new thermostat and coolant temperature sensor, threw a 0128 code last week.

Attachments

• IMAG0140.jpg
    IMAG0140.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 16

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Finally got a tracking number for my pcm. I sent it in last Wed for Fri delivery and might get it back Thursday.

Truck needs driven!

ramrod919

Sep 4, 2012
So, the thermostat and CTS are in. Let me tell you (although I'm sure most already know), I'd like to meet the designer of this engine in a dark alley. Hell, I'd settle for a well lit alley!!

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
I think the design of this motor is quite interesting, they put common sense into alot of this vehicle and it worked pretty good for how much uncharted territory they covered. Sure, there are some things they could have done better but that happens. It is one hell of a design, well cared for they go and go and goooo.... Mine has 103k on it and you wouldn't believe how clean that engine is and has hardly been touched. Only thing that has been done repair wise is a valve cover gasket at 56k for seepage.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the design of this motor is quite interesting, they put common sense into alot of this vehicle and it worked pretty good for how much uncharted territory they covered. Sure, there are some things they could have done better but that happens. It is one hell of a design, well cared for they go and go and goooo.... Mine has 103k on it and you wouldn't believe how clean that engine is and has hardly been touched. Only thing that has been done repair wise is a valve cover gasket at 56k for seepage.

anthonyl79

Jul 15, 2012
Colorado
Today I pulled the front bumper off and had to re-weld the studs that are on each side that hold the bumper on. They had come loose and where rattling driving down the road. Just for fun sanded the metal bumper down and repainted it where the bumper cover had been rubbing and rusting. Then I decided to finally cut the rear exhaust resonator off. When I got that off there was some odd damage to it. Looked like it was falling apart. I believe I had read something about that here somewhere.

Stopped by my friends shop also this afternoon and he had a trailblazer on the rack. Apparently the torque converter laid flat internally. So brought up a question about an issue that I was having over a year ago. I would put my transmission into gear and it would act like it was in gear and nothing would happen. This happened several times and have never had an issue again. Well apparently it was the torque converter going bad. So went out and drove it on the interstate and tapped the brake pedal to see if the lock-up was working on the converter, NOPE. No wonder fuel mileage sucks on the interstate as well. So found out time to pull the trans out in the near future.

mike_k

Dec 5, 2011
refinanced with a local credit union. Got a pre approval at 3.5% and will be paid off in 18 months :wootwoot:

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Fire06 said:
You never get a nail in the old tires just the new ones. On the car with the new snow tires last year we picked up two nails in the same tire. Just to make you happy :hissyfit::hissyfit:

Picked up about a 3/8 lag bolt this evening! Have to drive the corolla to school so my dad can take in my tb to get the tire repaired:hissyfit: oh well my dad ordered bilstein hd set of 4 yesterday!

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
So I changed the rear end to Amsoil about 5k miles ago and noticed recently that it seemed to be leaking. I had used RTV instead of buying a new gasket, fuck me right? So today I emptied out the Amsoil :sadcry: and put in Valvoline since I didn't want to wait to get more Amsoil from a friend of a friend.

Bought 2 quarts of Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90 and a GM gasket instead of using RTV.

Cover cleaned of all the old RTV

20121003_103755.jpg

Decided to spray it gloss black before putting it back on.

20121003_153358.jpg

Got some goodies coming in the next 2 weeks.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The original gasket is rubber and reusable. Didn't have to replace it unless it was torn.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Sparky said:
The original gasket is rubber and reusable. Didn't have to replace it unless it was torn.

However most factory rearend gaskets that are "re-usable" are not and will leak. We are just lucky ours is decently made. I typically always replace the factory gaskets with RTV when servicing a diff. I think my 14 bolt is RVT actually.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
replaced the tie rods, and ordered my nitrous purge kit from nos and some switches and lights for the nitrous (armed, momentary switch for purge, etc) goes in for an alignment today

Now your putting nitrous on it? :banghead: :bonk: :diggrave:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Yea typically you don't hear about reusing gaskets so I decided to use RTV that my friend snagged me from his job. I know I put more than enough, not sure why it was leaking maybe it just didn't cure long enough. But I had thrown away the original gasket once I put RTV which is why I had to go grab another one lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I dunno, I've read numerous times on the OS and here that the original is reusable rubber, and that's what I did. Sealed just fine. <shrug>

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I guess what I was trying to get across is with a lot of other applications gaskets are a once and done type of thing, so I assumed these were the same.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I have gotten tired of the radio stations not coming in worth a crap in my area...so I threw the 5 ft. antenna back on. And repainted my chipped up brake ducts.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
McGMT said:
Now your putting nitrous on it? :banghead: :bonk: :diggrave:

hahaha... nothing insane just like a 50 shot. And purge for some shows. itll come off when I get the turbo build done. I just needed something to work on in the mean time because the mod bug starts to get antsy and it is really hard to control. :crazy:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
hahaha... nothing insane just like a 50 shot. And purge for some shows. itll come off when I get the turbo build done. I just needed something to work on in the mean time because the mod bug starts to get antsy and it is really hard to control. :crazy:

You should check out Iran, I hear it is beautiful this time of year...

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
However most factory rearend gaskets that are "re-usable" are not and will leak. We are just lucky ours is decently made. I typically always replace the factory gaskets with RTV when servicing a diff. I think my 14 bolt is RVT actually.

fr34kout said:
Yea typically you don't hear about reusing gaskets so I decided to use RTV that my friend snagged me from his job. I know I put more than enough, not sure why it was leaking maybe it just didn't cure long enough. But I had thrown away the original gasket once I put RTV which is why I had to go grab another one lol

Sparky said:
I dunno, I've read numerous times on the OS and here that the original is reusable rubber, and that's what I did. Sealed just fine. <shrug>

fr34kout said:
I guess what I was trying to get across is with a lot of other applications gaskets are a once and done type of thing, so I assumed these were the same.

i agree that no matter if a gasket is reusable or not, just replace and save the hassle... i went through this on my motor swap... the dealership "reused" my oil pan gasket... guess what... was at the dealer 2 weeks later due to an oil leak...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pcm back and truck running...so far so good

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
tire.jpg

35 inch spare on stock 1/2 ton 17 inch wheel

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I started it up so that High Voltage could listen to the proof that the "voy doesn't sound like a fart can! I was so proud to show someone some proof lol and love hearing the mean sound the voy makes.....until Jeff started and revved up his truck and put me to shame :raspberry:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Hey, I need the van for a few hours....:smile:

Scored the axle for $350 and only has 37K miles but has been left outside needless to say for a few months. Also picked up some SS calipers and brackets for a cool $50 but contemplating rebuilding the calipers over a core for a reman set, not too many caliper rebuild kits avail anymore.

They put it in with a forklift, gravity will bring it out.

SSaxle1.jpg

SScaliper1.jpg

Wasn't planning on a 400mile roundtrip drive but shipping was absurd. :crazy:...as much as the axle!

OK, I'm only stating this once, but.......I love ths van. :redface: 29 MPG@ 70-73 MPH.

1005121226.jpg

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
GMCman you are in trouble !!!! A van!! Really!! Turn in your man card right now give the keys to the truck to anyone, now take a deep breath and go join the soccer mom forum featuring VANS.:raspberry::raspberry::raspberry: :rotfl::rotfl:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Fire06 said:
GMCman you are in trouble !!!! A van!! Really!! Turn in your man card right now give the keys to the truck to anyone, now take a deep breath and go join the soccer mom forum featuring VANS.:raspberry::raspberry::raspberry: :rotfl::rotfl:

Its worse than that Fire.. He loved it, and it is a Honda at that! Hide your shame MAN...

If you are going to love a van and such, it has to either be an express or an old school conversion with a 4.3 LOL

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Fire06 said:

FIVE people on trips, 2 seats folded, one used for extra leg room, 4 suitcases, duffel bags, 2 coolers, queen size aerobed, other bags of kids stuff.....you just can't beat it....for trips only :biggrin:

McGMT said:
Its worse than that Fire.. He loved it, and it is a Honda at that! Hide your shame MAN...

Noooooo.....:nono: This isn't a Honda.....Toyota baby, with the 3MZ motor and moves out smartly. :cool:

I'm off the hook since this van belongs to the LOML, just carries an axle very nicely. :thumbsup:

McGMT said:
If you are going to love a van and such, it has to either be an express or an old school conversion with a 4.3 LOL

Back in the day, my buddies parents had an Explorer conversion van, that thing was awesome. Had a gas hog 350 though but $1/gal wasn't too bad.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Aren't the SS calipers the same? Mine came with them but could not find a reason to use em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online