What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
TangoBravo said:
Yeah I guess, really didn't seem all that pricy to me atleast not for all the options it has and the capabilities. I wanted one that does ABS and OBDl because I have a 91 ranger that I need to use it on and in my area there are alot of OBDl vehicles so side money will be easy. LoL

thats a sweet scanner, my dad hooked mine up to a Snap On Solus Ultra it was like the ss could talk to me. Great Stuff.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Sparky said:
Makes me almost think a limited slip unit would be better than a locker.

Do you still have the stock 8.0" rear end or did you upgrade to the 8.6"? There are all sorts of options available for the 8.6" but nothing at all for the 8.0" aside from the stock locker.

I havent upgraded to the 8.6" yet I was unsure if it was a good idea or just more that could go wrong. What do you guys think?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ConeKilrAutoX said:
well not so much that it is better but I feel that it wold destroy the g80 turning sharply on pavement especially autoX. I know they chirp tires turning some what normally (at least in the TB I was in earlier this summer) Id rather spin one wheel than not be able to go anywhere if something serious happened at the diff.

what do you think I should do?

With all the power you're planning to add, at least think about going to the 8.6" rear. Think even harder about getting the SS rear and change it to match the gears you have in the front diff.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
With all the power you're planning to add, at least think about going to the 8.6" rear. Think even harder about getting the SS rear and change it to match the gears you have in the front diff.

Thanks for the advice I will definitely consider it. That will definitely be another expensive project...but I will try to do it next summer if I have the money. I would love to just get the pcm swap/turbo successfully done first.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Thanks for the advice I will definitely consider it. That will definitely be another expensive project...but I will try to do it next summer if I have the money. I would love to just get the pcm swap/turbo successfully done first.

Don't forget, if you add power, you have to be able to stop it or it will be a very expensive one way trip... Doesn't seem like you have really thought this through. :undecided:

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
thats a sweet scanner, my dad hooked mine up to a Snap On Solus Ultra it was like the ss could talk to me. Great Stuff.
Yeah I just got done playin with it and have to say this thing is awesome. For some reason I had two ABS codes stored maybe from the winter ice IDK but it was nothing major so I cleared them and we will see if they come bace.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I just got done replacing my CPAS for the second time. This time I used an acdelco part from gmpartsdirect.com(shitty customer service)and everything seems to be working just fine now, no codes coming up and the TB is idling way smoother it's even got some get up and go now.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
McGMT said:
Don't forget, if you add power, you have to be able to stop it or it will be a very expensive one way trip... Doesn't seem like you have really thought this through. :undecided:

true, I have thought about some stuff but money is the real factor dictating my decision making. I dont plan on beating it after the turbo install. I will just be happy to have the envoy up and running using the 06 pcm swap and having a successful turbo working. then I will worry about the rest of the build following that. If I had grands to get everything done myself at once and wasnt paying school off as I go or other bills I would definitely do everything at one time. this is my daily driver so that too creates time constraints.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
true, I have thought about some stuff but money is the real factor dictating my decision making. I dont plan on beating it after the turbo install. I will just be happy to have the envoy up and running using the 06 pcm swap and having a successful turbo working. then I will worry about the rest of the build following that. If I had grands to get everything done myself at once and wasnt paying school off as I go or other bills I would definitely do everything at one time. this is my daily driver so that too creates time constraints.

Student loans, low funds on a daily driver... not a very good situation... If I was you I would do a PCM upgrade and think small.... Little mods here and there, save your money, when you get your loans paid and you save up some real loot then buy an SS or something if you want power...

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
McGMT said:
Student loans, low funds on a daily driver... not a very good situation... If I was you I would do a PCM upgrade and think small.... Little mods here and there, save your money, when you get your loans paid and you save up some real loot then buy an SS or something if you want power...

Thats why I was trying to do small bits and pieces at a time and I really wanted to be one of the few 4.2 turbo Envoys/trailblazers out there. I am running low boost so I thought I would be okay at least until I had money to upgrade more pieces such as the diff. I have had plenty of power in the past with a 300zxTT my friend and I built up, but I wanted to do something even more unique

....thanks for the help and advice... I appreciate it. I guess I will try to do a little at a time and hopefully the end result will turn out okay :yes:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Front swaybar out. Cleaned it up and sprayed it red to match the rear. New links and bushings next to the old busted up ones.

20120917_130634_zps3d3ae7f9.jpg

Reinstalled

20120918_172326_zps1222fdaa.jpg

Rear swaybar, links, and bushings installed.

20120918_172215_zps997e7809.jpg

20120918_172244_zpsfd54a5bd.jpg

Still tapping on something, yay

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
well not so much that it is better but I feel that it wold destroy the g80 turning sharply on pavement especially autoX. I know they chirp tires turning some what normally (at least in the TB I was in earlier this summer) Id rather spin one wheel than not be able to go anywhere if something serious happened at the diff.

what do you think I should do?
You destroyed an open rearend...so prolly would destroy a g80. However a g80 should not chirp w normal driving.

You obviously need a stronger rearend. You should want both wheels turning if you want to ein...you could benefit from lower gears.. seems a stock g86 from an SS would be perfect and bolt straight in.

Your turbo idea is worthless if you cant put power to pavement. A stock SS rear would be better than a turbo for you currently.

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
You destroyed an open rearend...so prolly would destroy a g80. However a g80 should not chirp w normal driving.

You obviously need a stronger rearend. You should want both wheels turning if you want to ein...you could benefit from lower gears.. seems a stock g86 from an SS would be perfect and bolt straight in.

Your turbo idea is worthless if you cant put power to pavement. A stock SS rear would be better than a turbo for you currently.

True. I will try to find one then. I guess I was just afraid the g80 locker couldnt take autox. Thats what killed my open rearend but it took all summer. The g86 sounds like the way to go then.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Started the process of fixing my cranky AC pulley bearing. Ended up breaking a welded nut on the radiator upper support so I couldn't remove it without removing the entire headlight/grille mounting bracket thing, so I removed the bumper and a bunch more bolts and broke another one off, darn rusty bolts :hissyfit: I thought there was a petcock on the bottom of the radiator but I couldn't find it :confused: So I just put my drain pan underneath and opened up the upper radiator hose carefully, letting it run down the shroud into the drain pan... then it went all over anyway :crazy: The fan clutch nut loosened up easily :thumbsup: The fan shroud on the other hand fought me forever trying to get that thing out of there :hissyfit: I couldn't get my pulley off without a 3 jaw puller, and I don't have one (I know I know...). Now I'm out of daylight.

I got to thinking about having to shove that daggone shroud and clutch back in there and.... ugh. I wasn't so sure about putting efans on this truck because of rust and how much should I really mod it, but I'm about ready to say screw it and just do it anyway. I can always move the efan setup to the next one. I'd like to be able to put it all back together tomorrow so I have it for the weekend and next week, but dang I really don't want to have to shove that stupid shroud back in there again...

IMG_01271024x768_zps31be536e.jpg

IMG_01291024x768_zps7873bf17.jpg

IMG_01321024x768_zps37947838.jpg

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Sparky said:
I thought there was a petcock on the bottom of the radiator but I couldn't find it :confused:

Yeah wth I thought that was one of the cool features the 02s had:undecided:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011

Attachments

• 2012-09-20 07.39.52.jpg
    2012-09-20 07.39.52.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 13

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Lookin Good!

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Took me and my dad a half an hour to get the spare tire down, thing would not go down and then it randomly started to work right so we filled it with some air also

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Short Bus said:
:iagree::yes: Much better than the slicks you had at the big meet.

Did you get a body lift?

He was one of prototype 3 inch body lifts after Mark n I got the brackets worked out. Been on for couple years. We had a big lift meet in Chicago.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I got my AC pulley off this evening. And I'm never renting a 3 jaw puller again. Thing was bent or something and wouldn't pull straight. At least I got the pulley off but I thought I was going to break something. Anyway, tomorrow I'll get the new bearing put in it then put the truck back together. I'm not putting the efans on at this time due to time and some budget constraints, however I am going to mod the factory fan shroud to make it easier to reinstall and remove at a later time by cutting it in half and drilling a few holes on either side of the cut to use zipties as "laces" to hold it together.

I really could use the truck this weekend so here's hoping it all goes back together OK :crazy:

Any recommendations for a good 3 jaw puller?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ItsOnVoy said:
Took me and my dad a half an hour to get the spare tire down, thing would not go down and then it randomly started to work right so we filled it with some air also

Hope you greased everything before cranking it back up. :thumbsup:

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Short Bus said:
:iagree::yes: Much better than the slicks you had at the big meet.

Did you get a body lift?

HARDTRAILZ said:
He was one of prototype 3 inch body lifts after Mark n I got the brackets worked out. Been on for couple years. We had a big lift meet in Chicago.

Thanks, and what he said. :goodpost:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Yeah wth I thought that was one of the cool features the 02s had:undecided:

Mine doesn't have it either. :hissyfit:

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Tired to stay subtle.. Not my style. (calipers and center caps painted)

Attachments

• IMG_20120918_145115.jpg
    IMG_20120918_145115.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20120918_145109.jpg
    IMG_20120918_145109.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 10

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well I'm not going to get my truck back together today after all. My AC clutch pulley is almost worn through somehow, so trying to press that old bearing out would likely just collapse the pulley :no:

Does anyone have a used AC pulley + clutch plate + shim matched set? I don't care if the bearing is shot as I have a new one, just the clutch and pulley need to be in good shape.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Today I swapped out my base rearview mirror on my TB with one that has temp & compass display.

Just waiting for the sensor & harness to come in from Amazon and I'll be able to finish it up.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Got the Trailblazer put back together! Found a cheap compressor at a local junkyard, yanked the pulley, replaced the bearing on it (just to be sure!), and put it on my truck. Reassembled the front end and it is nice and quiet! :wootwoot:

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Full exterior scrub, high speed buff, and coat of wax. Getting ready to take on the winter crap. Tomorrow its under coat time.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I realized that I've had my TB for 4 yrs, 2 days so I gave it a birthday wash. All searched online for power steering pumps, looks like mine is going out.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012

Attachments

• IMG_20120920_112634.jpg
    IMG_20120920_112634.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20120920_112644.jpg
    IMG_20120920_112644.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20120920_112654.jpg
    IMG_20120920_112654.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 12

ramrod919

Sep 4, 2012
Probably the most important thing I did today was order motor mounts! But, I also cut the resonator off. My wife also thought the rear brakes were squeaking, so I pulled the brakes and checked to make sure the dealer did them correctly (we've had a couple of issues). While I had them apart, I painted the center of the disc's black and the calipers silver. I figured that would really look good when the wheels are black!

Attachments

• IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0133.jpg
    IMAG0133.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0131.jpg
    IMAG0131.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 12

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Had the carpets cleaned, the truck washed and changed the oil and filter.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ramrod919 said:
Probably the most important thing I did today was order motor mounts! But, I also cut the resonator off. My wife also thought the rear brakes were squeaking, so I pulled the brakes and checked to make sure the dealer did them correctly (we've had a couple of issues). While I had them apart, I painted the center of the disc's black and the calipers silver. I figured that would really look good when the wheels are black!

And why did the DEALER do your brakes? It amazes me how much people will pay for a simple job like brakes. If you don't know how to do brakes, how would you check to see if they did them correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rrachal

Members Online