What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Change front differential fluid. Cleaned the throttle body, just clocked 65k miles. Also took pictures of the GMT vinyl on the truck. :wootwoot:

View attachment 22155

Rear differential, transfer case, and transmission fluids next.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 21

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Wouldn't worry about the loktite, I've never put any of that on caliper bolts, in fact I put anti-seize on every bolt on the brakes when I do them to make sure I can get them back out in the future.

One time I didn't put loctite on the caliper bracket bolt and one backed out and left me on the road. Really sucked leaving it sit along side the road till I went to the dealer and got another one... Now on the caliper mount bolt yea, anti-seize since they tend to stay put but on the caliper bracket bolts blue loctite everytime...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You didn't have it tight enough :biggrin:

Or, My bolts have enough rust grit on them to "locktite" them in automatically :rotfl:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
You didn't have it tight enough :biggrin:

Or, My bolts have enough rust grit on them to "locktite" them in automatically :rotfl:

Sounds like mine. :frown:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I had washed it Saturday before the meet but didn't do it completly because rain was to come. I just finished it up today. I use cheap tire foam in the wheel wells and wipe it with a cloth and they stay nice n black like the tires. I use Armorall tire gel on the tires. I try to keep up on wiping door n trunk jams to keep em clean. A little shiney stuff under the hood too. Wipe down interior and some leather conditioner on the seats. Now shes looking good again :thumbsup: .....

Attachments

• DSC02371.jpg
    DSC02371.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02373.jpg
    DSC02373.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC02375.jpg
    DSC02375.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02388.jpg
    DSC02388.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02376.jpg
    DSC02376.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02387.jpg
    DSC02387.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC02386.jpg
    DSC02386.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02379.jpg
    DSC02379.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02378.jpg
    DSC02378.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC02377.jpg
    DSC02377.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 13

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Denali n DOO said:
I had washed it Saturday before the meet but didn't do it completly because rain was to come. I just finished it up today. I use cheap tire foam in the wheel wells and wipe it with a cloth and they stay nice n black like the tires. I use Armorall tire gel on the tires. I try to keep up on wiping door n trunk jams to keep em clean. A little shiney stuff under the hood too. Wipe down interior and some leather conditioner on the seats. Now shes looking good again :thumbsup: .....

:undecided: Is that an intake resonator I see? I didn't know the 5.3s had one of those (if that's what that is)

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: Is that an intake resonator I see? I didn't know the 5.3s had one of those (if that's what that is)

I don't know what a intake resonator is. Do you mean that black tube piece that runs towards the back of the engine from the air tube? I hope to some day add an engine cover to hide that and all those wires. I still can't believe the Denali came without a cover. I remember looking under the hood after it's first visit to the dealer, I saw all the bolt holes for the cover and accussed them of taking it :hissyfit: , it looks so unfinished the way it is.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Denali n DOO said:
I don't know what a intake resonator is. Do you mean that black tube piece that runs towards the back of the engine from the air tube? I hope to some day add an engine cover to hide that and all those wires. I still can't believe the Denali came without a cover. I remember looking under the hood after it's first visit to the dealer, I saw all the bolt holes for the cover and accussed them of taking it :hissyfit: , it looks so unfinished the way it is.

Yep, that's the piece I was referring to. I wonder if an engine cover wouldn't fit with that thing in the way, and that's why you don't have one? :crazy:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Yep, that's the piece I was referring to. I wonder if an engine cover wouldn't fit with that thing in the way, and that's why you don't have one? :crazy:

The Saab probably has that intake resonator thing as well, it looks like the cover fully covers it.

Attachments

• saab%20intake1.jpg
    saab%20intake1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 81

dave_stumph

Dec 5, 2011
Crazy vibration in the foot pedals and passenger side floor, coupled with an intermittent misfire with no code.
For sure felt like a motor mount....... But I just replaced them a month ago, plus the vibration was all over the place while driving.

Needless to say I just had my tranny worked on......have the shift kit and hated the 1-2 shift coupled with the PCM tune shift firmness 2 My tranny guy is a 4l60e genius and tuned it down....now it feels like a 2-3 shift :smile: . So I thought it could of been the tranny mount.
Got under the voy and found my heat shield just resting on the exhaust. Easy fix but who would of though it could cause that much vibration......??
Replaced coil pack #4 and voila!!!!
Smooth a silk again!

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Yup the 5.3 has a muffler on the intake side, I guess because it's considered the "luxury" version. Now that you mention it, that's probably why the 5.3's don't come with the cover. Heads and intake manifold are exactly the same though.

Denali, I have an SS cover I picked up from another member on the TBSS forums. Currently painting it Satin Black, I'll snap a picture with it mounted tomorrow so you can see how it looks and if you like it. I have a PCMForLess intake though.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
fr34kout said:
Yup the 5.3 has a muffler on the intake side, I guess because it's considered the "luxury" version. Now that you mention it, that's probably why the 5.3's don't come with the cover. Heads and intake manifold are exactly the same though.

Denali, I have an SS cover I picked up from another member on the TBSS forums. Currently painting it Satin Black, I'll snap a picture with it mounted tomorrow so you can see how it looks and if you like it. I have a PCMForLess intake though.

That would be cool to see it mounted, if they fit and I get one I'm gonna paint it the Liquid Silver Metallic, if i get the Saab one I could put a Denali steering wheel cap on in the circle on the front of it. I guess the SS one looks similiar. looking forward to your pics :thumbsup: !

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Ss one looks exactly the same but has an ss sticker in the circle and gm performance on the top. I had the exact same idea, gmc logo in the circle but I was also going to put denali where it said gm performance. Guy doing my c notch backed out today so I'll get you a pic today

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The PCM4Less intake deletes the intake resonator doesn't it? Freakout, can you confirm if there's clearance for the cover to fit properly with the intake resonator still in place?

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Denali n DOO said:

Did you park next to the LCBO for any particular reason? :biggrin: Hint, hint!!!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Canadian Mike said:
Did you park next to the LCBO for any particular reason? :biggrin: Hint, hint!!!

Nah......I liked the brick wall as a background. Funny, I took a pic beside the Beer store today too.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I just checked, and yes the stock intake with muffler fits perfectly under the cover. I'll post the pics I took as soon as i jump back on my computer

Sorry, thought I took a pic with the stock intake on. I put it on, it fit like a glove under the cover but I guess I never took a picture of it. Oh well, got 2 of the PCM intake on.

20120806_085523.jpg

20120806_085531.jpg

I had to trim my cover to fit the intake, the cover up to around where the 2nd hose clamp is on the intake.

Cover right now has 2 cans of Satin Black on it. Started wetsanding it about an hour ago, probably about halfway done. Once that's over, guna put probably 1 more can worth.

Like I mentioned earlier, the plan is to get my friend to make me 2 printed stickers. Both with black background and white lettering. The circle up front will say GMC and the rectangle in the back will say DENALI. I think it'll look good

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
fr34kout said:
Sorry, thought I took a pic with the stock intake on. I put it on, it fit like a glove under the cover but I guess I never took a picture of it. Oh well, got 2 of the PCM intake on.

I had to trim my cover to fit the intake, the cover up to around where the 2nd hose clamp is on the intake.

Cover right now has 2 cans of Satin Black on it. Started wetsanding it about an hour ago, probably about halfway done. Once that's over, guna put probably 1 more can worth.

Like I mentioned earlier, the plan is to get my friend to make me 2 printed stickers. Both with black background and white lettering. The circle up front will say GMC and the rectangle in the back will say DENALI. I think it'll look good

Ya that looks awesome, it makes it look complete. once the decals are on it look even better! Did yours come with the brackets to mount it or did you have to get them seperatly. Post another pic when your done. Thanks for the fitment results, at least I know It'll fit now.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
I got the cover not knowing that I needed the bracket. Got it from someone on the TBSS forums who works at a GM dealership in the states. I think was around $12 shipped. I can forward you his info if you want it.

20120806_153608.jpg

The joys of wetsanding. Taking a break for today, probably finish it up tomorrow.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Worked one changing the rad fluid and thermostat and coolant sensor. After many hours trying to find the location of said sensor I gave up. :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit: The location makes it not changeable friendly at all so I may take it to a mechanic. The location of it is just ignorant to do. The location is back of the engine, near the top. This makes it tight to the fire wall, can't see it to remove it no room for tools. To find it's location I ended up calling a dealer and have them explain to me where it was.

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
Fire06, having my coolant sensor changed today. My thermostat was done over the weekend but the shop I went to said my sensor was fine... After drivin the truck and the temp gauge running at about a quarter and jumping around I knew the sensor had to be changed, too. It's right behind the alternator. Not something I am comfortable moving out of the way, unless I had to change it (knock on wood). It's not an easy reach otherwise.

I am hoping changing the sensor now will allow my gauge to read right and in the end with a new tstat and sensor my truck should not run as hot as it was. I think that was why my mileage went down and also why I was burning oil faster than normal, and because the fuel may have been running too rich all of the time, I fried a new cat in the process.

I just want my inspection done!

Oh, and I had my wheel hub bearing replaced Saturday along with a fried CV axle and seal. The same day I picked it up the other hub bearing started grinding. Just my luck. So much money gettin sucked into this truck and on repairs rather than extras. Guess its the price we pay. :smile:

Cheers!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
On the 06+, the ECT is on the passenger side of the engine, back near the firewall. Much more difficult to reach than earlier model years. :book:

It's #3 in this pic

06ECT.jpg

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
revamp said:
Fire06, having my coolant sensor changed today. My thermostat was done over the weekend but the shop I went to said my sensor was fine... After drivin the truck and the temp gauge running at about a quarter and jumping around I knew the sensor had to be changed, too. It's right behind the alternator. Not something I am comfortable moving out of the way, unless I had to change it (knock on wood). It's not an easy reach otherwise.

I am hoping changing the sensor now will allow my gauge to read right and in the end with a new tstat and sensor my truck should not run as hot as it was. I think that was why my mileage went down and also why I was burning oil faster than normal, and because the fuel may have been running too rich all of the time, I fried a new cat in the process.

I just want my inspection done!

Oh, and I had my wheel hub bearing replaced Saturday along with a fried CV axle and seal. The same day I picked it up the other hub bearing started grinding. Just my luck. So much money gettin sucked into this truck and on repairs rather than extras. Guess its the price we pay. :smile:

Cheers!
Behind the alternator is still a big pain in the ass but doable. The bolt on the bottom of the alternator is a bitch but I used a wrench and little turns but it worked.

Blckshdw said:
On the 06+, the ECT is on the passenger side of the engine, back near the firewall. Much more difficult to reach than earlier model years. :book:

It's #3 in this pic

06ECT.jpg

Thanks for the picture Bickshdw it is a real pain to get at. The picture almost makes it doable but it is worse than that. There is also a hose that runs through the area right almost on it just to make it a little harder. Take it to the mechanic I use to see if he will touch it

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
Got the coolant temp sensor changed. Nice to know things will be a bit more typical now regarding fuel, oil burn, and exhaust. Amazing what balance these machines need to run.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
Changed the oil... Well, there's an oil change place nearby that does the labor for $15 when you bring your own oil and filter.

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
Dropped my truck off yesterday to get a c-notch done, got it back today :biggrin:

Here's the notch

20120808_150423.jpg

Outside, plated

20120808_150330.jpg

Inside had too much shit to plate it I guess

20120808_152433.jpg

Rides a lot better, however I need to trim the top bump stop perch. Ness cut the bottom perch, but the top is still making contact by like 1/8" of an inch. Oh well, I'll take care of it on monday.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
It was fun but I will never take it mudding again.

This is really the only action shot we got my wife dropped here phone while we were bouncing around.
View attachment 22217
View attachment 22223
Friends on their atv made me jealous I may buy one soon
View attachment 22224
Apparently the lights weren't exactly water tight :frown::redface:
View attachment 22218
The very next day I attempted to clean it but that went down the drain due to severe thunderstorms. Well yesterday I went to wash it and as it turns out the car wash machine at my apt. is broken :hissyfit: so I sad screw it ran up to Walmart bought a 120ft hose and Nozzle and hooked it up to my hot water tank then ran it through my lanai to my TB in the parking lot :biggrin: (Sorry no pics of that). After I got it washed it started to rain and I still had to clean the inside (Vacuum, Armorall, etc.) so I busted out the tent :cool:.
View attachment 22219
View attachment 22220
I had to remove the headlights from the truck and take them apart to get the sad/mud out of them (I may do a write up on how to take them apart using a heat gun)
View attachment 22221
View attachment 22222

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 13
  • get-attachment.aspx2.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 12
  • get-attachment.aspx3.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 14
  • get-attachment.aspx4.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx4.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12
  • get-attachment.aspx5.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx5.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 12
  • get-attachment.aspx7.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx7.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 12
  • get-attachment.aspx6.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx6.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 13
  • get-attachment.aspx8.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx8.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 13

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Projector swap! :lightbulb:

ConeKilrAutoX

Dec 8, 2011
Well...because I needed a project to keep me busy while I wait for the money to come in to buy all the turbo build parts I need, I decided to put in a roll bar and mild cage and redo my stereo setup. stripped everything out, welded / bolted in the cage. I also hooked up another 600 watt amp to power the 4 rear speakers :yes: and inverted the subs in the box I shortened and ported.
View attachment 22234

Attachments

• 2012-08-09_12-08-17_275.jpg
    2012-08-09_12-08-17_275.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 2012-08-09_12-06-29_34.jpg
    2012-08-09_12-06-29_34.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 2012-08-08_18-14-38_637.jpg
    2012-08-08_18-14-38_637.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2012-08-07_09-19-08_677.jpg
    2012-08-07_09-19-08_677.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 2012-08-06_13-24-18_416.jpg
    2012-08-06_13-24-18_416.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2012-08-09_12-07-52_142.jpg
    2012-08-09_12-07-52_142.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 14

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Decembersend said:
but I will never take it mudding again.

That sucks.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
That sucks.

Well I was thinking about it and I figured if I don't hit the same ponds as b4 I may be fine. There are other trails that didn't have so much water.

At one point I followed a f150 fx4 I believe and I'm not sure what he was thinking because he got stuck and instead of putting it in 4wd he just slammed it and dug a big ass hole, somehow I found this hole and I had water all the way up to my window on the driverside. Which I'm assuming caused all my issues it was fun tho.

I'll prob. end up buying an ATV so I can hit the same spots as they did I kinda felt like the 3rd wheel.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
CdnGMan said:
How involved was it with the heat gun?? Did you "overheat" any of the tabs, etc??
Details man!!! We demand details!!! :thumbsup:

I plan on making a write up but here's te short version.
If I missed anything I will fix it or redo it when I get home, I'm typing this from my iPhone. I also have a few pics.

Tools:
Heat gun from Harbor Frieght $14.99 sale a few weeks ago (or your choosing)
Composite shims Home Depot $1.75(they're made of Plastic and wood and are a lot more forgiving then the standard wood shims)
Small flat head screw driver (for a little bit of prying)
Razor blade

A few people have said the aftermarket headlights are generally easier to take apart then the OEM due to the adhesive used, but if that's the case I'm glad I don't have OEM anymore this adhesive was a b**** lmao.

What I did was use the heat gun and move it back and forth over the back of the plastic where it meets the lens (in small areas at a time, i found the sidea are the easiest part to start at) then take the flat head screwdriver and carefully wedge it between the back plastic and the lens and gently pry them apart. Next step is to take a shim and wedge it where you just put your flat head and then apply more heat to the next spot and take another shim and with some effort use the shim as a knife and cut the adhesive if it becomes to hard apply more heat. Repeat that until you get to the opposite side from where you started.

I had a buddy helping me with the rest he pried/held the lens and the plastic apart while I took the heat gun and heated up the middle then I took a razor knife and cut the rest on the adhesive apart.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
jrSS said:
deleted the muffler today. Sounds throaty and good. :biggrin:

Videos my friend videos :yes::biggrin:

I am looking forward to hearing it lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Videos my friend videos :yes::biggrin:

I am looking forward to hearing it lol

If you make it to the meet Saturday you can.:raspberry

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
Started the other day, but due to work and rain, I'm still working on it. Cleaning the carpet, and installing my new HU and wiring for the subs I should be getting soon.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1344558059712.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344558059712.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 84
  • uploadfromtaptalk1344558212354.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1344558212354.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 86

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
If you make it to the meet Saturday you can.:raspberry

I got a final coming up quite soon :frown: