What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldAdventure

Jun 28, 2012
Waxed the rides. About 4 coats on the Trailblazer. Should help keep the bugs off on on my trip this weekend.

564145_10151153561598436_1596413159_n.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
mikekey said:
Waxed the rides. About 4 coats on the Trailblazer. Should help keep the bugs off on on my trip this weekend.

564145_10151153561598436_1596413159_n.jpg

They look good and the picture is sweet.

06envoydenali

Dec 5, 2011
Changed the oil, front and back pads and rotors. Tried to get inspection but since my fuel sender is shot it wouldn't pass? Now i am out of commission for at least several days and out of what ever halve the price of the fix.:mad:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Got my tire fixed and hit this on the way home.

4b5beda1-7d6c-d465.jpg

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
damn.. puttin some miles on your TB ehh? :rotfl:.. my '07 only has 42k miles... (1600 on motor)

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:
damn.. puttin some miles on your TB ehh? :rotfl:.. my '07 only has 42k miles... (1600 on motor)

Wow, yours is a garage queen. :rotfl: My TB has been good to me. Tons of random driving, 4 round trips From Tulsa to Dallas, round trip from Tulsa to Illinois and is actually getting read for another trip to Illinois next week so it's time to get her prepped for that trip. :cool:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
07 TB RIDER said:
Wow, yours is a garage queen. :rotfl: My TB has been good to me. Tons of random driving, 4 round trips From Tulsa to Dallas, round trip from Tulsa to Illinois and is actually getting read for another trip to Illinois next week so it's time to get her prepped for that trip. :cool:

touche :raspberry:... all these trips to the midwest... do i see a midwest meet in your future?? :rotfl: glad yours has been good to you.. mine was fun while she lasted... now shes in "stable" condition :crackup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I broke 162k miles today on mine. 16k per year vehicle average so a tad lower than yours, but I got it just under 2 years ago with 112k miles on it so my yearly average is 27k :crazy:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Boricua SS said:
touche :raspberry:... all these trips to the midwest... do i see a midwest meet in your future?? :rotfl: glad yours has been good to you.. mine was fun while she lasted...now shes in "stable" condition :crackup:

Must have something to do with all the horses under the hood. :biggrin:

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Boricua SS said:

My '08 is a few miles shy of 90,000 miles :raspberry: She has been good to me so far, lets hope for 90,000 more.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I bought my truck to use it and averaged over 30K per year until this year when I let it rest a bit more. Still sees over 15K as 2ndary vehicle.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have had mine about #yrs and put on about 20k miles a year. Still runs great and is a wonderful highway cruiser.

gonecat

Jul 25, 2012
Spent the day checking the vids from MAY03LT :thumbsup: for various procedures for the Trailblazer and checked under my '06 TB to get ready to pull the drivers side wheel bearing hub assembly and replace it tomorrow.
My main concern with the wheel hub assembly is getting it loose from the drive shaft. The rest seems pretty straight forward.
Also sprayed penetrating oil on the transfer case 10 mm hex bolts and 3/8" rear differential case plug as well as on the 13mm bolts on the rear diff cover. Probably not necessary to use the penetrating oil, but I'm not sure. Pretty new to working on the trailblazer.
Managed to changed the front differential fluid easily after checking the vids. Rediculous that shops want so much to do maybe 20 minutes of work for that front diff fluid change. Most of my time was spent trying to find a good angle to get any torque with a breaker to open the 18mm fill plug. The 13 mm drain plug came loose pretty easily for me. (counting my blessings)

Well, posts on 'what I'm doing' will be updated when I dig in.

Steve

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I simply gave my CV axle a good whack on the end with the hammer after taking the axle nut off and it popped free without any fuss.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well damn.. i barely drive mine then compared to everyone elses statements :rotfl: even when my SS was my daily driver, the most i put on in the 2 years she was my DD was 8k miles the first year i got her :crackup:

Sparky said:
I simply gave my CV axle a good whack on the end with the hammer after taking the axle nut off and it popped free without any fuss.

are we changing hubs this evening :undecided:

mapanch

Dec 2, 2011
Boricua SS said:
well damn.. i barely drive mine then compared to everyone elses statements :rotfl: even when my SS was my daily driver, the most i put on in the 2 years she was my DD was 8k miles the first year i got her :crackup:

I've averaged about 13k a year on mine.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
gonecat said:
Probably not necessary to use the penetrating oil, but I'm not sure.

I don't think there has ever been anyone who said, "man, I shouldn't have used that penetrating oil!!!" I use it on the cover bolts and the plugs when I have the luxury of time which seems like never.

And like sparky, after the nut is off, I politely smack the shaft with a hammer to pop her loose from the hub.

By the way, congrats on getting the front diff fill plug out!:thumbsup:

gonecat

Jul 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:
I don't think there has ever been anyone who said, "man, I shouldn't have used that penetrating oil!!!" I use it on the cover bolts and the plugs when I have the luxury of time which seems like never.

And like sparky, after the nut is off, I politely smack the shaft with a hammer to pop her loose from the hub.

I had the TB up on stands as well as a huge stump of wood, I don't trust anything, and found the bolts.
Managed to sneak the two short extensions I had in front of me on a 3/8" ratchet with the 18mm six side socket. Just barely had enough clearance. I actually ended up using my trailer hitch slide-in draw bar for a breaker :yes: from below the frame.
Whatever works... :thumbsup:
I was pleasantly surprised with 6 years and 61K miles of WI and MN road salt that anything was not too rusted in place!

Hope the transfer case and rear diff bolts are equally in agreeance to come out again...

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Boricua SS said:
touche :raspberry:... all these trips to the midwest... do i see a midwest meet in your future?? :rotfl: glad yours has been good to you.. mine was fun while she lasted... now shes in "stable" condition :crackup:

Believe me, I want to. One day I will. :cool:

Sparky said:
I broke 162k miles today on mine. 16k per year vehicle average so a tad lower than yours, but I got it just under 2 years ago with 112k miles on it so my yearly average is 27k :crazy:

I got my 07 in Sept of 08 with 30k so it was driven hard before I got her and right now it has 84k. So over the 4 yrs I've had it, I average 13.5k miles a year, over the life span of the truck so far, it comes out to 16.8k miles a year so not too bad at all. Like I said, good truck so far :thumbsup: **Knock on Wood**

gonecat

Jul 25, 2012
MAY03LT said:

Two other quick q's.

What's the correct torque ft. pounds for the wheel hub nut?

And, in the video for the transfer case fluid change, I didn't see you use anything on the bolts before you put them back in. Seems I heard that it says to in the service manual, but that it isn't necessary for the differential bolts. I know there's a lot of misinformation on the internet from other sources. Are you supposed to?

thanks!

gonecat

Jul 25, 2012
WOW! is about all I can muster out.

The transfer case bolts broke open pretty easily. I didn't even need a breaker bar.

Now on to that rear differential fill plug if I can find the tool that fits snugly.
I'm a bit afraid of damaging the square with the sloppily fitting 3/8" drive...
*fingers crossed*

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
gonecat said:
Two other quick q's.

What's the correct torque ft. pounds for the wheel hub nut?

And, in the video for the transfer case fluid change, I didn't see you use anything on the bolts before you put them back in. Seems I heard that it says to in the service manual, but that it isn't necessary for the differential bolts. I know there's a lot of misinformation on the internet from other sources. Are you supposed to?

thanks!

103 ft lb on the hub nut. Same as the lug nuts.

I didn't use anything on my fill or drain plugs, and there wasn't any sign of anything used previously on them.

mike_k

Dec 5, 2011
Finally got some new tires on her, went with the destination at's and made a appointment to get the hail damage fixed :smile: just too bad they cant get me in until October 29th

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
Did the front sway bar bushings, they are red in color

TRW made in USA,

OEM's were ACDelco made in Mexico,

gonecat

Jul 25, 2012
Got the driver's side hub replaced! Sounds and feels great.
Just drained the transfer case.
That looked like new.

oops... forgot lock-tight on the front caliper mount bolts, crap....
oh well. will do that tonight too, so I can drive her tomorrow.

Haven't tried the rear diff fill plug yet. That's after everything else is done and topped off.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Thread locker? I have never used any on those bolts. As long as they are torqued down properly they should be fine.

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
gonecat said:
That looked like new.

I haven't seen that stuff get dark and goopy when it is old. I've had a few that missed the 50k and 100k service and the fluid didn't look half bad.

gonecat

Jul 25, 2012
Sparky said:
Thread locker? I have never used any on those bolts. As long as they are torqued down properly they should be fine.

ahh, nice. then no worries. i wil make sure to tighten them properly san the loktite stuff...

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
gonecat said:
Got the driver's side hub replaced! Sounds and feels great.
That looked like new.

oops... forgot lock-tight on the front caliper mount bolts, crap....
oh well. will do that tonight too, so I can drive her tomorrow.

Haven't tried the rear diff fill plug yet. That's after everything else is done and topped off.

Wouldn't worry about the loktite, I've never put any of that on caliper bolts, in fact I put anti-seize on every bolt on the brakes when I do them to make sure I can get them back out in the future.

Good luck with the rear diff plug, I had a 3/8" extension that said craftsman in a spiral when I tried getting mine out, had to take it somewhere where they could get it in the air and use a longer breaker bar. The guy at sears was pretty impressed though when I handed him the extension to get a new one and told him I did that by hand, not with a impact wrench.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Decided to get up early before it got too hot today to do this...

TowHooks1.jpg

in order to take these... (gift from Decembersend; Thanks David! :thumbsup:)

TowHooks2.jpg

and put them here...

TowHooks3.jpg

TowHooks4.jpg

TowHooks5.jpg

Also, thanks to Me007gold for the write up. Probably wouldn't have taken these if I hadn't read it ahead of time. :cool:

revamp

Dec 22, 2011
Mansfield, TX
My TB is in the shop getting the driver side hub bearing replaced.... Again. I think this is number 3 in less than 2 years. Then I am off to get the thermostat and heat sensor replaced. I tried this on my own last week and realized it was not something I was going to pull off in 90 degree weather. I fried a new cat converter in less than 2 months because of my truck running rich - because of the bad thermostat. The scary thing is, I didn't know that the temp gauge sitting a couple ticks to the left was bad until last week when I looked it up on here. It opened my eyes to realize the bad chain of events that I am now repairing as a result. I am at 236k miles and would love to see my TB run strong for as long as she can.

And my drivers side boot is shot, after only a few month of being in.

Will update! I just want her to run smooth!

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I bought some plasti dip finally. Watched a thousand you tube videos on how to apply. Seems easy enough. BUT too fuckin hott outside and nowhere to do the dipping. Lol. Definately plan on doing this after we move in the new house where I have the garage and space.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
One of my HIDs fogs started flickering. Changed it to 3000k spare I had looks great and suitable for now. And cleaned dust off the plasti dipped emblem

Attachments

• image-4134703328.jpg
    image-4134703328.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image-4093544403.jpg
    image-4093544403.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 17

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Picked up another jerry can. Took it out to farm.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Replacing the passengers side tie rod end, cause I have it and I can.

Piece of mind thing knowing that both are new and are greasable.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I changed my belt thanks to the help of May's videos. Took me a hr because the new belt was a pain in the ass to install and I fucked up my arm but I did it myself.

aee5c02f-abc0-753b.jpg

aee5c02f-abe1-f06a.jpg

aee5c02f-ac2c-f9d9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLOC

Members Online

No members online now.