What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Where to begin.
I had an obnoxious high-pitched scraping sound coming from the brakes when they were released, but only in stop and go traffic. I cleaned the brakes and greased the calipers last week but that didn't help. I had a new hunch and I was correct:
There was a small buildup of crust on the outside of the passenger's side rear rotor, and when it would heat up and expand outward with heavy braking, the crust would scrape the abutment clips. I ground that sucker down and now it's as quiet as a rotor that needs to be replaced soon can be.

Next I cleaning the throttle body. It's only been 25k miles since the last cleaning, but it was already gunked up enough to make a noticeable difference.
It was nowhere near as bad as it was when I bought the TrailBlazer with 54k miles, having never had it cleaned.
I'm still hungry for some more performance, so I might see about getting in touch with PCM of NC.

Then I cleaned up the fire hazard I had in my dash that used a random relay out of an S10 Blazer and some peeled-apart 14-gauge speaker wire to operate my footwell lights.
I figured they're low-power enough to not require a relay (heck, I was using a 1A fuse for them before).

I bought some OE foglights from the local junk yard months ago, so I finally put in the OE foglight switch and started trying to figure how I'd get the OE fog lights mounted in my LS bumper.
I still have to figure out which wire is which so I can get a latching relay and start getting the new wiring roughed-in.

Lastly, I figured out putting a resistor on any LED brake light restores cruise control's functionality. I commute roughly 100 miles a day, so that will be a welcome repair.

It was a busy day.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Finally was able to drive it to work

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Going to change out LH axle. When I installed this SS axle, I later realized the axle flanges were bent...prob why the TB ended up in the bone yard. I was able to tape a portion of a .010 feeler gauge to the inside of the brake rotor to smooth out the wheel rotation but I feel better knowing everything will beLH axle.jpeg nice and trued up now.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Parked it in the driveway this morning just before some thunderstorms came through. It needed a good rinse to wash off some of the nice green layer of pollen that was all over it. (gotta love spring time!!)

After it semi dried, used the detailing spray I got from @hockeyman to take care of the rest, as well as the bugs on the bumper, grille, and mirrors from my Orlando trip. Now it's nice and clean again. :cool:

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pollen is awful here as well. Made the mistake of leaving my window down at work one day... Inside now matches outside. :no:

Swapped some ballasts around on the TB.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Thought about it driving back from Tampa last night...22mpg maybe vs 33mpg in the Camry rental.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
New thermal fan clutch.

Reactions: Mounce

smt 59

Over the weekend, cleaned the throttle body as the idle was rough and down shifting was sluggish. Seems to have resolved the idle but we will see about the down shifting on the way home today on the highway, maybe time for a new TPS. Ran a live scan on it and seems ok, have not done the volt metre test though as it is intermitent.
Replaced a leaking valve stem as well.
Last weekend washed and waxed her. Have not been on line for a while, need to catch up.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It will go to powder soon. Need speed holes and lights done according to Mike. He finish welded and smoothed it last night.

Reactions: xavierny25

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
They've been bugging me, so I yanked them... I was planning to do some rework this weekend, since I've got 3 days, but due to recent events, I'm on call to some degree, and can't get into them like I really want to. Just going to try to fix a small alignment and bulb seating issue on the driver's side, and better secure the shrouds, because the passenger side one worked it's way off, and was resting on the main lens :hopeless:

20160325_124623.jpg

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
I developed an annoying rattle in the rear recently. The passenger side end link was toast, I don't know how it got that bad. The rear shocks look, perform, and sound pitiful too.
I picked up some Moog end links (for $32.50/ea. from Napa, what a steal).
I also ordered the BDS 55619 hydraulic shocks, but they're shipping really slow.

My friend and I installed the end links, "gently removed" two of the brake dust shields which were rusted out, and "oops" my saw slipped and I accidentally cut off the resonator. I hope I can survive without it. :rolleyes:
He then washed, waxed, and detailed the exterior, and man, it looks 13-years new.

47f0f9ce3db371f2ddd39385e52df4a9.jpg

It's hard to judge what it sounds like without the trashcan from a video, but you get a whole lot more exhaust sound and a prominent growl around 1100 rpm.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Tires were a bit low. Not bad. Noticed there was zero rake, sure enough the bags were flat. Probably should invest in new springs.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: dmanns67 and Sib

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Busy day. Knocked out an oil/filter change and also replaced the front/rear wiper blades.

IMG_20160326_212524279.jpg

Summer wheels are back on.

IMG_20160326_212539446.jpg

Cleaned the throttle body, MAF sensor, and intake filter. Throttle body was a bit dirtier than last year's cleaning.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

Also, cleaned up my winter wheels before going to storage.

IMG_20160326_212602878.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Gave it a proper bath.

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Tried to wipe it down a little bit in hopes that the rain will rinse the excess off tonight. The damn wipe new from years ago did this too my paint and WILL NOT come off

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
@tsmith1156 I think you'll have to do a little buffing or wet sanding to get that out. You could try some buffing compound, a rag, and some elbow grease first. :twocents:

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
@tsmith1156 I think you'll have to do a little buffing or wet sanding to get that out. You could try some buffing compound, a rag, and some elbow grease first. :twocents:

I have tried to get it out with many different products and different techniques. When you rub your finger over it, it's like nothing is there, it is smooth

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
New shackles are inbound to go with the new bumper

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Got a PAC TR-7 and some relays in the mail. I installed phase 1 of my so-called "work light mod".
The goal of this project is to have front/rear work lights controlled by the OE fog light switch I stole out of an LT, regardless of whether the ignition is on or not.

My bumper lights already functioned as automatic DRLs (switched by the ignition), so phase 1 retains this functionality but allows them to be turned on/off by the fog light button (using the TR-7 as a latching relay which feeds into an XNOR gate made out of two relays). It's pretty neat.

Phase 2 will add work light functionality to the reverse lights, allowing me to turn them on with two taps of the fog light button. (I just need to buy a lot of wire so I can run a power and trigger wire to a relay in the rear, spliced into the reverse light wiring).
No pictures yet because I ran out of electrical tape and had to use packing tape, so my wiring looks like garbage.
Maybe I'll post a write-up once I get this whole fire-hazzard done, with a focus on using the TR-7 and OE fog light switch to independently control two sets of lights.

In the meantime, here's a good video I shot today of the missing trashcan:

Reactions: dmanns67

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Edit: this was yesterday. Removed all the seats to do a deep clean on my carpet. Maybe next year I'll just order an new set and put them in.20160401_112340.jpg20160401_112340.jpg 20160401_124110.jpg20160401_124056.jpg
Had to put some rubber spacers on the inverter cause it left a nasty mark on the carpet.
20160401_144006.jpg

Last edited:

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Got it loaded with 2 cubic yards of mulch...30 bags. It's squatting pretty good.

Aww, Spring....i also put down new Mulch every Spring but my property only requires 8-10 Bags. Those darn squirrels just won't leave it alone and they carry it off for there needs...next year I think I'm going to convert the areas to River Rock and be done with it.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Aww, Spring....i also put down new Mulch every Spring but my property only requires 8-10 Bags. Those darn squirrels just won't leave it alone and they carry it off for there needs...next year I think I'm going to convert the areas to River Rock and be done with it.

We don't have squirrels on this side of the street because there's no trees that they like. But I have to do it every year because it breaks down...next up will be working out what to replace the plastic edging with. I'm leaning towards edging stone but I don't know what one.

Reactions: RTTBLT1

tsmith1156

Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Edit: this was yesterday. Removed all the seats to do a deep clean on my carpet. Maybe next year I'll just order an new set and put them in.View attachment 75286View attachment 75286 View attachment 75287View attachment 75288
Had to put some rubber spacers on the inverter cause it left a nasty mark on the carpet.
View attachment 75289

Do you just have that drilled into the floor?

Took a burnt running light bulb out of the rear lights, need to get a pack of replacements now

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online