Not open for further replies.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In the cube village for the day.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Doing that work thing.. I slept great last night thou. Went to bed at 830.. Woke up at 630. I feel great today!

In the cube village for the day.

Village people reference?

Reactions: Mooseman and BrianF

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just that work job stuff whatev

Reactions: Mooseman and BrianF

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Picked up wifey from her office for a quick jaunt to Costco and lunch. Then took the Caprice to the car wash since it's half price Tuesday. Then got home and did a quic tire rotation and TPMS relearn. Was getting a minor shake from the front so that took care of it. Now gonna go to bed for a snooze before a night shift.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Did the transfer case on the 3500. Surprisingly not a lot of room to maneuver but managed it pretty easy. Now just taking a break from the heat as I am brush cutting a fence line which is long over due.

Reactions: Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Aside from having to drive out to PA to bring a compressor to the other plant it was pretty uneventful. Should be running a couple thousand tons tomorrow though.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
19731283858x640.jpg

As an update to the LBZ saga, I went and test drove the truck on Saturday. It was just as pristine as pictured save a rust hole in the right rear cab corner and some surface rust nearby on the rocker which was hard to see in the pics. Also the power steering line that connects to the brake booster was weeping a bit. Other than that, clean as can be and ran like a top. It felt exactly like the only other LBZ I've driven, which has at least 150k less miles. That feeling is addicting.

They wanted $13.4k out the door, but refused financing on the truck due to age and miles, so being "a couple" thousand short, I had to walk.
I'm really torn on whether I should make a cash offer or just pass, so I'm waiting it out. Is it love or lust? I don't know.

On one hand, holy s%*t, this thing is in good shape for its age, it's single owner, and completely stock.
On the other hand, I don't tow much, it's old, 260k on the clock, and diesel parts are expensive.

I don't know what to do guys. :quiverlips:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Personally I'd pass. Too many miles.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Personally I'd pass. Too many miles.
@brianlibby791 what would you do? I'd pass on diesel all together. With the price differential in fuel here... it's not worth it to me... you'll never make back the cost... even towing unless you're well past 300k...

Reactions: gpking

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The mileage doesn't bother me (a well-maintained Duramax can last 500K without too much trouble, and I see them for sale with over 300-350K miles all the time...)

However, this statement...
On the other hand, I don't tow much

makes me ask... why exactly do you want it, then?
I suppose if you were struggling to pull with your existing truck, I could see it, perhaps. Is that the case?

I see you're aware that DMax parts are hella costly, so you're not going in blind, there. That, plus the fact that I'd have a whole new learning curve with an oil burner, would kinda shy me away.

I'll admit - I'm kinda sweet on the 6.0L gassers. Just wish they would pair up well with the Allison.

On the other hand...if I were going to get one...it'd be an LBZ Duramax. And yours is one owner, too.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

As for me, today... Turned in my leased Accord (and didn't replace it).
Meaning...that for the first time in almost 20 years, I'm a 'GM-only' household, again.
At least I have a 'backup' GM vehicle, this time...LMAO

That won't be permanent - my plan is to eventually get something I can tow '4 down' behind my trailer, meaning it'll most likely be a manual trans, and likely not a GM product. But that can wait, for now.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Doing the work thing in the hometown.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Also doing the work thing, on lunch break now.

Been trying to coordinate with my kid sister, when she's going to empty out her last storage locker, since she's giving me some large plastic bins she won't need. I want to clean out the garage some, so putting stuff into bins that isn't readily needed will help, and I can put that stuff in the shed out back. Almost forgot to renew my flood insurance. It didn't get sent to escrow, I assume because they gave me a couple options to increase my coverage after the solar panels, which I did.

Last night, I called the utility company... Someone drove a box truck onto my property trying to maneuver a 3 point turn, and crushed the lid of the in-ground box. Earlier this morning they came out and instead of just replacing the lid, put in a brand new box, that sticks up a good 6 inches or so, instead of sitting flush with the ground like the old one did. This is also a bonus, cuz my next door neighbor's nephew or grandson, drives a big pickup truck, and when he visits at night, he likes to park it between the houses, partially on my lawn, and he drives over that box all the time. Won't be able to do that (so easily) anymore. 89104

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Heading into work in a few minutes.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Finishing work in a couple of hours and then bed.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Back in the cube for the last day this week. Plus I get Monday off. be nice to have 4 days without commuting.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just got off... doing the same tomorrow.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Bugging out at 2 for a Doctor's appointment, then cutting the grass.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working from the house today. Far more relaxing

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
At work. Kinda high stress.

Looking at another house late afternoon. Asking price is too high for the area but a couple people I know from there said there should not be an issue bringing it down if we decide to put an offer on it. Has a big barn behind it that has been turned into a big garage. Lots of potential shop space.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Finally made it to Friday! Allergies are under control today. Had to dose up on Nyquil last night for my sneezing to calm down, which made for an early bedtime for once. The office is quiet, so can't complain about that. Hope it stays that way all day, and time flies due to some mini projects I'm working on.

Has a big barn behind it that has been turned into a big garage. Lots of potential shop space.

That's pretty cool, hope you guys can get it with an affordable offer. My back yard is pretty spacious, but no permanent structures were allowed to be built back there, since most of it was in a FEMA disaster zone due to the lower elevation. Now with the redrawn maps, and my whole property being in the zone, I wonder if there's a way to get around that now? :undecided: Would be sweet to put up a separate garage to be able to work on vehicles, mainly for a higher ceiling. No way to use a scissor lift with the short 8 footers I have now. :sadcry: Plus, that means less grass to cut! :laugh:

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
replacing rocker panels, door skins, on vehicle with 213 on the clock. should have just used tiger hair, but no, i need solid steel. in case a demo derby spontaneously breaks out in drive-way, i suppose. :bonk::ugh:

Attachments

• 0606191402.jpg
    0606191402.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Blckshdw and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Driving a lot today, about 4 hours one way, to my son's commencement ceremony, graduating from the Heavy Equipment Program. Was kind of a screwed up affair. His girlfriend in the same program was the first and she was just presented with a blank piece of paper because they didn't have it printed for some reason. His was printed OK. She was upset as you can imagine. And they wouldn't let the graduates stay in the gowns for a while so we couldn't get pictures afterwards. WTF? Then went for dinner and drove back. Got back around 10:30PM.

Tomorrow will not be any better. Going to a celebration of life for someone who committed suicide. He had Alzheimer and was able to get a hold of a rifle and one round he had stashed (all had been taken away). This will be more unpleasant than usual. 😥

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That house was a wreck and worth I'd say less than half asking price. Nuts.

Just puttering round getting errands done today.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Just got home from work. Off Sunday. Back in at 6 Monday. Fun shit.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got a few things done around the house before it rained. Didn't meet up with my sister as planned, the baby is sick, so she's dealing with that. Rain check for tomorrow. Now watching some TV before heading out in a few hours to meet up with the fellas for wings and fights.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Man, tough crowd. I appreciate the input.

@brianlibby791 what would you do? I'd pass on diesel all together. With the price differential in fuel here... it's not worth it to me... you'll never make back the cost... even towing unless you're well past 300k...
A valid point. Diesel runs up to $0.50 more per gallon than what I pay for regular.
Going by Fuelly.com mileage and the fuel costs in my area, it would cost me about $0.03 more per mile than a 6.0L if my math is right.
I daily drove a 2500HD with a 6.0L and 4L80E circa 2010. They're thirsty too.

why exactly do you want it, then?
A truck in general: It saves me the damaged pride and inconvenience of needing to borrow pickups or trailers from my friends and family at least once a month. :sadcry:
inb4: Just buy a trailer.
This truck specifically: The reputation of the LBZ/Allison as a dependable powertrain, the options, the vehicle history, it's my favorite era of Silverado, it's at a reputable dealership, the price they gave me is below KBB (aka "LBZ premium") even before negotiations, and the mechanic I took with me to look at it who also has an LBZ gave his blessing that this truck was solid.

I'll admit - I'm kinda sweet on the 6.0L gassers. Just wish they would pair up well with the Allison.
On the other hand...if I were going to get one...it'd be an LBZ Duramax. And yours is one owner, too.
Pretty well sums up my thoughts too.
I love the 6.0L from this era, great engine, my dad owns one, I just don't trust a gasser over 200k miles (or an LB7 or LLY) the same way I do an LBZ. Clean, low mileage, '03-'07 Silverados are a very rare breed around here, and high mileage ones often don't have good bones or are nasty cosmetically (e.g. too many unnecessary mods, body rust, body damage, bad paint, neglect, etc).
This one ticks a lot of hard-to-tick boxes, it's just high miles and needs the new hood release cable installed and a cab corner eventually.
It's a hard decision.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Man, tough crowd. I appreciate the input.

A valid point. Diesel runs up to $0.50 more per gallon than what I pay for regular.
Going by Fuelly.com mileage and the fuel costs in my area, it would cost me about $0.03 more per mile than a 6.0L if my math is right.
I daily drove a 2500HD with a 6.0L and 4L80E circa 2010. They're thirsty too.

A truck in general: It saves me the damaged pride and inconvenience of needing to borrow pickups or trailers from my friends and family at least once a month. :sadcry:
inb4: Just buy a trailer.
This truck specifically: The reputation of the LBZ/Allison as a dependable powertrain, the options, the vehicle history, it's my favorite era of Silverado, it's at a reputable dealership, the price they gave me is below KBB (aka "LBZ premium") even before negotiations, and the mechanic I took with me to look at it who also has an LBZ gave his blessing that this truck was solid.

Pretty well sums up my thoughts too.
I love the 6.0L from this era, great engine, my dad owns one, I just don't trust a gasser over 200k miles (or an LB7 or LLY) the same way I do an LBZ. Clean, low mileage, '03-'07 Silverados are a very rare breed around here, and high mileage ones often don't have good bones or are nasty cosmetically (e.g. too many unnecessary mods, body rust, body damage, bad paint, neglect, etc).
This one ticks a lot of hard-to-tick boxes, it's just high miles and needs the new hood release cable installed and a cab corner eventually.
It's a hard decision.
I've got 300k on one and 220 on another. They work pretty well. The 300k one is mostly city miles too. If the trucks right it's right man. Don't listen to us lol.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In the cube village entering a ton of data. At least this mornings training class went quick.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
One of the cleanest I've ever worked on. :tiphat:
Coolio.. I am a Ast HR Director for a trucking company that hauls Hot Oil mainly, mainly dealing with SunCor, Magellen, and few others.

Reactions: littleblazer

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sitting at work trying to stay awake.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Still recovering from the run this morning.

Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Working. Pretty sure its gonna be a nice day to mow grass and grill out later

Reactions: Mooseman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher