What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which pellet grill did you get? I love my Green Mountain. Used Traeger and Pit Boss and Camp Chef. None of them has me wanting to switch.

It's a Member's Mark, apparently was supposed to be sold at Sam's Club. Supposedly a copycat of the Pit Boss.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ and Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Looks like the MIL's Pit Boss. I really can't complain about its performance and the $/Value seems solid. Nice buy!

I just hit up the grocery and getting the lil kids to nap then time to fire up the ole grill cause it is beautiful out here.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Still twiddling my thumbs. Still no cable. Wife is not happy, kiddo is not happy, and I am getting pissed off. Cable line was cut Monday, they said Sunday before anyone can be out to fix it. I can have satellite installed today.. Whats my incentive here?

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looks like the MIL's Pit Boss. I really can't complain about its performance and the $/Value seems solid. Nice buy!

It's built like a tank weighing in at 175lbs. This one was missing the instructions so had to find them on the 'net. Did the initial burn in, went well except that there is a fair amount of leakage around the lid, which is a common problem. Already ordered some high heat gasket material to seal it up. Why don't they spend the extra $10 to put some on?

Mrs. Moose just left to go in the office to drop off and pick up some files and her personal stuff from her cubicle. Apparently any permanent return to the office won't happen until at least January. The building has been mostly empty since March. She hopes that this will become permanent as working from home has way more advantages than disadvantages and there is more work being done without the office chit chat.

Me, well, didn't get to the trailer yesterday but will have to today to be ready for tomorrow. Might test drive the smoker with an easy meat loaf for dinner.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Might test drive the smoker with an easy meat loaf for dinner.

If you've never had smoked meatloaf before, you're in for a real treat! I usually glaze mine with 1/2 cup of both ketchup and steak sauce when it hits 145° and take it off when it hits 165°.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh yeah, I've done them before in the old electric smoker. Delicious. However, it didn't happen as I wound up having to run to Costco for a new battery for the Saab. Wound up throwing a Chicken Penne Alfredo in the oven.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Wrapping up a little Scamazon action this morning. :satan:

Backstory, a year ago, both of the backup cameras on the EXT stopped working. The cable for one got pinched, so that was an easy fix. The other one had a camera failure, so I replaced it. While pulling the cable for the new one through a rubber boot, I ripped one of the wires out of the connector :duh: Contacted the seller to buy a replacement, and after the sale they approached me about testing some of their new products with the offer of money back for positive reviews. Had heard of that happening. :undecided:

Monday I get an email from them about testing a wireless IP camera, and they would "refund" the price off the bat. Also offered a $15 gift card with a 5* review. So figured why not. Tested it out, and it was actually pretty good for what it was, but it wasn't ONVIF compatible, so I couldn't run it with my current setup. I had the thought of mounting it to my shed for a better view of the back yard, or up in the attic to pinpoint any future roof leaks. Wrote an honest review, and used the free Prime returns for a credit back. :biggrin:

So took the credit from the return, plus the gift codes that covered the original price, plus the $15 they gave me for the good review, and used that to order a combo pressure cooker/air fryer that I had my eye on, but didn't wanna splurge that much money on. In the end, it ended up costing me about $100. I'm good with that, and it will be here tomorrow. :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hooked up and loaded the trailer. Was good until I checked the lights. Nothing working (I HATE trailer wiring). The PO had cobbled some wires to extend the connector and failed miserably. Wires were too small compared to the original and most corroded and broke in the connector. Run to Princess Auto for a new connector (got two as they were on sale) and 3 feet of proper 7 wire trailer wire. Solder, shrink tube, liquid tape everything, wrap with tape, test, done.

Leaving as soon as I hit Post Reply. See ya.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Today was quite the adventure. Ever since I bought the house, I've absolutely hated the garden window off the kitchen. Here's an old pic from 2017 post hurricane Irma. Today I had a window company come by and pitch me on replacing it. :coffee:

Clip.jpg

So the rep shows up, and gives me the spiel, shows me some videos from hurricane Michael in 2018, where some of the houses in the panhandle that survived, had their windows, and showed how well they held up. He whips out his kits and gadgets, and does a demo of how different types of glass reflect heat, finishing by also testing my sliding glass door, which didn't insulate for shit, but I knew that already. Previous owner replaced all the windows, but used your run of the mill hardware store deals, slapping tint on the windows that face west.

We get to the important part, what's the cost? Long story, still long, he quoted me $2500 for the 1 window, but also $16K if I decided to do the whole house. Not really an option right now, trying to pay off the solar panels first. He says he may be able to get me a discount, with some sort of home show program, so he calls his sales manager and puts him on speaker. They go back and forth for a bit, and the manager drops it down to $1900 and $13K. Hey great, appreciate that but I don't make financial decisions on the spot. Told them both that I'd review the info and get back to them.

Then things go sideways. Sales manager pushes to close me today, which was expected, but it's HOW he tried to do it that was bizarre. He tried to pitch the idea of cramming for a test, and asked if it was better to cram for 2 weeks, vs the night before to get the info in your head as close to test time as possible. So I told him I always did much better on exams when I studied over time and actually learned the content, rather than trying to cram. Figured that would be the end of that line of questioning, but he stuck with it for 20 minutes. Sales rep sitting on my love seat was visibly uncomfortable, and I was getting irritated. This wasn't helping, and dude was gonna blow the sale at this rate. I cut him off, told him my mind was made up, and I wasn't making any decisions today. He finally let it go and got off the phone.

The rep apologized a lot, and tried to smooth things over before he left. The window was good, lots of good features, backed with a 30 year warranty on the window itself and the framing, at a price point I felt comfortable with. Gonna do some research on the company and see what else I can dig up first then we'll see.

On the lighter side, my pressure cooker/air fryer arrived, I threw some wings and fries in it. Ran the air fryer for 30 minutes and they were done. The hype is real, usually takes me twice that amount of time for frozen wings in the oven by themselves. Definitely a good investment. Will be making slow cooked chicken tacos tomorrow, since my sister and niece should be visiting. :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those air fryers are the bomb. I do a lot of frozen fries and egg rolls in it. Faster and crispier.

Today we're breaking camp and heading home before it rains at 2pm. At least I gassed up the Saab in town yesterday so I don't have to worry about that.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Took this back to Hombre Despot because it was badly dented in shipping mainly because they shipped in retail box (no packing at all). Could have still used it to spray sealer on the garage floor but, for $ 150, I don't want dents.
smith-performance-sprayers-pump-sprayers-190448-64_1000.jpg

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Last of my days off and got a few things done. We took back the backpack sprayer as it was junk and got some other brand. Between it and the little hand held, put 5 gallons of curtail mix down. Our unused paddocks have a decent amount of weeds coming up.

While the wife works with her horses I fixed up our old yard man y28 curved shaft trimmer. Need some Oregon gator quick load line for it but I cleaned up the carb and she runs great, better than I remember. It had a fixed main jet walbro wt 682, which was in decent shape. This will be the kids trimmer.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Work today, with lots of pain. This whole getting old thing sucks!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Took my 10 year old Springer Spaniel to the Vet for Xrays and tooth extraction. Another $800 to hear that they can't find out why his nose bleeds and that(already knew this) his hips are shot. (I know he's ten,but..)
As much as I hate to say it I'm definitely working on my last dog, it's just gotten too damn expensive to be a responsible owner.
My only wish before I die is that I own something that Veterinarian or Dentist wants to buy really, really,really bad....:satan:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Going to La Belle Province to pick up a used desk for my wife. Will also do a booze run at the same time since it's so much cheaper there. Then, smoking some ribs on the new smoker.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Went to Costco for supplies for the birthday get together for my eldest son tomorrow. I'll be smoking some beef and chicken for fajitas. Also found some mesquite smoking pellets at Lowes. They have the best selection of smoking pellets that I have found so far.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - If you didnt live in Canada, I think I might come help you cook that, and celebrate. I need to get me a smoker.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Finished up my fence, dog run, and RV pad. 14k dollars. OUCH! All this because my wifes damn dog keeps eating fences, and decks.

Edit: Thats 284 linear feet of Cedar fence, and 12 tons of 3/4 inch rock for the RV pad, plus 45 linear feet for the dog run fence.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Getting the work done. Just mowed grass n finished as the rain rolled in.

Thinking on a cool rainy evening it will be a good time to toss some soup in the crock pot

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I replaced a light switch in the kitchen. That is all.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pretty good day for a Saturday. Got up and cleaned the house a bit, and had a couple of the fellas come over to hang. Supervised @kurupt repairing his transmission shift linkage. Once that was done, we relaxed in the house to cool off, caught up on what's been going on since the last time we got together, and split after a couple hours.

20200829_103700.jpg

Without anything really planned, took an unplanned 3 hour nap, woke up shocked. Didn't think I was that tired, and feared being up all night as a result. Decided I wanted burgers tonight, so wrapped a couple in bacon and hooked those up. Been putting the new air fryer to work every few days with different thing, so tossed some fries in that. Mixed up a couple of cocktails to go with dinner, and was feeling pretty good. 🥃

Now I'm yawning again, thank you vodka, so gonna catch some more Zs, and recharge for tomorrow.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Went to the PYP to browse and found a 97x. I have never touched a 97x before:cry: I got to play with the funky keyfob-key and the center console ignition switch - the strangest arrangement I could imagine. I was strongly tempted to buy the 18" wheels, but it is typical for this PYP to remove one wheel from a set of 4. Three wheels are not good enough :confused:
I would have liked to have a Saablazer!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yesterday.. I was REALLY tempted to go to LKQ. They got an Envoy in with a brush guard, and had some other things I wanted. But after spending 14200 on friday, the funds (or lack thereof) dont justify the want.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I know you probably did, but I got to ask, you did change the oil again?

Reactions: BrianF

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Telework. Watching two of kiddos. Making some smoked salsa.

Reactions: gmcman and BrianF

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today, I turned in my badge, ID and all uniform items and I'm now just a regular citizen. I had been a Reservist since I retired in 2018, doing the odd shift here and there to help out. It was a good gig and a good way to transition to civilian life, but now, I'm ready to fully enjoy my retirement. Also had lunch with my Sgt. troop mate and a couple of guys from my old team while I was there. That's the only thing I'll miss, the camaraderie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online