What are you doing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Screwed up my unemployment claim on Monday, trying to call them to fix it and it took several tries to get in line because the hold line was too full. Finally got in it, after an hour got to someone and they said oh I was in the wrong queue and they'd transfer me... to the same queue I had been in! Of course it is full and it dumps me out, and I can't get back in it. Dang it.

Farking lazy government workers...oh, that'd be me.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I tried repeatedly throughout the day yesterday. According to my phone log, 23 times. Did not get through. Have already tried 3 times this morning so far and have had no luck yet. Sigh. I know, my fault for screwing up in the first place, but come on...

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
I tried repeatedly throughout the day yesterday. According to my phone log, 23 times. Did not get through. Have already tried 3 times this morning so far and have had no luck yet. Sigh. I know, my fault for screwing up in the first place, but come on...
I actually did the same thing. They never got back to me but it seems they overlooked my error and Im getting normal pqyments so w/e

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Still no luck calling here either.

The weather held long enough for me to finish the two panels on the west side.

20200430_155016.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So @Sparky - when can I hire you to come do mine? My dog keeps eating my fence.. Yes I did say EATING!

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
Another day another class done. One more to go. Mysterious evap engine light has not reappeared after a good hundred miles or so, not gonna call it problem solved yet but finger are crossed. Stealership was SO disappointed I cancelled my diagnosis today, that made me chuckle

Reactions: Matt

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Got pretty warm today for once. Got lots done in the yard. There is an old house in the originalyard site that we are slowly cleaning up and will burn her down eventually. Chainsawed a pile of over growth and exposed the last couple hundred feet of fence that needs to be ripped out. Have a few more loads of old wood that needs to go to the dump and then piles of limbs to hit up the burn pile.

Vet came out and confirmed a mare in foal.

Caught two moles and now of to the hospital as my 11 year old stepped on a nail.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Vet came out and confirmed a mare in foal.
Ummm.. unless mother nature is playing a trick on me, shouldn't that be a foal in a mare?

• Haha
Reactions: Matt and Pygot

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Reinstalled car seat bases in the vehicles this morning. You'd think I had kids or something. I like my truck but I want to upgrade to a crew cab sometime. That will result in a shorty bed, but oh well. Need to pay off the car first!

Weather is blah but I'd like to get a gate built for the fence today.

Maybe I'll work on my workbench in the basement to make it more functional.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yesterday, installed 10" subs and amp in the Caprice that I picked up used as I was tired of the stock cop radio sound. It will also need some new speakers in the doors eventually but for now it sounds a whole lot better :2thumbsup:

Today, the wife is cracking the whip to get the leaf net off the pool and get it going. Why? It's nowhere near warm enough to be able to use the farking thing. Then, I'll be swapping out the interior of the Caprice with that of the G8 I picked up last year. Leather seats, a console and carpet will be nice.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Today, the wife is cracking the whip to get the leaf net off the pool and get it going. Why? It's nowhere near warm enough to be able to use the farking thing.
lol...they had a thing on the local news about pool maint. guys being swamped with premature pool work. I guess people just want to sit around a pool to have the illusion of better times...:celebrate:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I can just imagine Mooseman testing out his 10" subs. Cruising down the street in the Caprice, all the windows down, music cranked, maybe a flat brimmed hat with the sticker still on it. Seat rolled back a bunch... Maybe have a felony forest of air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I can just imagine Mooseman testing out his 10" subs. Cruising down the street in the Caprice, all the windows down, music cranked, maybe a flat brimmed hat with the sticker still on it. Seat rolled back a bunch... Maybe have a felony forest of air fresheners hanging from the rear view mirror.

You were spot on except I had a Chevy ball cap on and a free air freshener from the tire shop. :laugh:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Sorted some stuff I had at my brothers shop. Out with some old crap and in the some other stuff.20200502_122850.jpg
My little space in my brothers place.

Found some stuff I won't be needing and will post up 4 sale.
Rear 4600 bilstein shocks. Under 25k miles on them.
20200502_122051.jpg
Rear springs with helper bags.20200502_122601.jpg
Taillights and third brake light.
20200502_122122.jpg

20200502_122102.jpg

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
Started new job as a groundskeeper at a state campground. Gonna have me working 50 hrs plus my other job, so about 75 hrs a week. The saab decided today was the day to let the evap engine light come back. Gonna take the 87 hilux to work instead tomorrow.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Progress.

Yesterday (the rightmost panel can unlock and swing open if needed, will remain closed 99% of the time and does not look like a gate)
20200501_203528.jpg

Today
20200502_170101.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yesterday was good. Ripped out everything except the rubber mat. Good thing I didn't because when I pulled the G8 carpet out of the shed, mice had made a nest with the underlay :mad: . So I ripped out all the underlay and pressure washed it again. I'll let it dry in the sun while I work on the rest. I have to cobble 3 shifters together to make one working unit and swap the seat backs from the Caprice's to the G8's because of the airbags. The carpet I'll just lay on top of the rubber mat, which should act like a sound deadener but until I can get that carpet in, I can't install anything in the car.

IMG_20200502_182957_resized6745797930512397939.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ugh, I want one, and they're so plentiful down here too!! Are those air vents under the front seats?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yup. Like, do prisoners need heat? :biggrin:

It's a fun car and relatively cheap compared to a Chevy SS or Camaro and is cavernous to boot. Some parts can be a pain to find though as they weren't very common compared to a TB. Just look at the idle hours which can be relatively high (1 hour idling = 100km/60 miles). Some can have issues with the AFM or wind up with a ground down cam due to the high miles/hours. Haven't heard of too many going bad after police duty. A lot have body damage and holes of course and maybe some suspension looseness.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
outside of your usual CL listings, there's a dealer that only deals with retired police vehicles, that isn't too far from me. They tend to offer them all right around $10K, but there was an instance where one was marked down a bit more, and they listed it had some electrical gremlins to sort out. Still didn't last long. Many of the ads did list the idle hours, with a pic of the dash, but many recently have left that part out. :undecided:

I'm being lazy and procrastinating today. The garage could use some straightening up. The free area is starting to get cluttered and disorganized, and my workbench has random stuff all over it. Meant to get up this morning and wash the EXT while the driveway was shaded, but skipped that too. :hopeless: Been brainstorming another home project, after following @Sparky's activities. When I mounted my living room TV on the ceiling, I wanted to hide the wires, but couldn't figure out a good way to route them through the attic to get to the TV since the vaulted area is too small for me to climb in, and the fireplace ducting was in the way. So I routed them along the mantle, and around the side, which was fine... Until now...

20200503_132450.jpg

As long as you're not on the left side of the room, you don't see the hot mess that's over there :rolleyes:

20200503_132542.jpg

Been doing a bit of research, and I think the new plan will be to get some much longer cables of various types. Either 25' or 50', some 2.5" ID flexible conduit/tubing, and a white PVC wiring grommet. Cut a hole behind the ceiling mount, and feed the conduit up, hoping I can either lift the rolled insulation, or it feeds up along the side. I've got some old PVC conduit ( a straight piece and a 90* elbow) from when I ran camera wires outside, so I could make a long hook. In theory, should be able to get up in the attic, reach the conduit with the makeshift hook, and bend it towards me so I can reach the end conveniently.

From there, can feed wires through the ceiling coming out behind the TV mount, where it can be routed down the pole. I already have a port on the wall below the electrical outlet that I used to pass the UPS wires through into my bedroom closet where the batteries are, as well as the wires for the HTPC and PS4 steering wheel from the other side of the room. So the longer cables routed to the TV can be fed through the wall and come out there to the components. Should make for a much cleaner install, IF things go according to plan. 🤞

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Took delivery of my newest side work, tandem axle car hauler that needs rewired, new lights, and safety chains. Once it's done it'll be the mode of transportation for my next job from the same person, trans swap and refresh on an early 2000's Chevy that has sat for years.

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Just look at the idle hours which can be relatively high (1 hour idling = 100km/60 miles). Some can have issues with the AFM or wind up with a ground down cam due to the high miles/hours. Haven't heard of too many going bad after police duty. A lot have body damage and holes of course and maybe some suspension looseness.
Isn't the conventional wisdom that cold starts cause most of the engine wear and keeping them running is actually better ? just asking because that is what I have heard from Joe Baggadonuts.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Isn't the conventional wisdom that cold starts cause most of the engine wear and keeping them running is actually better ? just asking because that is what I have heard from Joe Baggadonuts.

Yes and no. I have seen some that had very low KM but had so many idle hours that engines were burning oil and trannies were dead. These were used for static security duties and hardly moved except to get gas and get to/from the office. One CVPI I saw had over 9000 hours but only 40k km!

Yesterday wasn't as productive on the Caprice but was more prep work. After washing the carpet again, took all day to dry out as the sun was playing peek-a-boo. Going over the center console, I couldn't figure out why the hand brake wouldn't release, then found that the cable that pulls the release latch was cut. Grabbed some old bicycle brake cable, a nut and bolt and voilà. Not very elegant but functional and will be hidden. Also took apart both drivers seats to swap the back from the Caprice to the G8 base as well as the wiring. The Caprice has electric lumbar and back tilt with manual fore and aft while the G8 are manual with knobs and electric fore and aft so I have to modify the wiring. Also airbag and belt pre-tensioner have to be swapped. Driver is almost done with some wiring to complete. (Sorry, no pics but will try to get some of the passenger side). Got the cobbled shifter in and the carpet. Tap shift will need to be wired in later but will work once connected to the BCM.

Today, I have to go grocery shopping. Then, will continue on the Caprice, finish the driver seat and hopefully get the console in. That is my most anticipated addition as I really needed the arm rest and cup holders!

IMG_20200503_154421_resized1450127548049805242.jpgIMG_20200503_155824_resized4063713201676762382.jpgIMG_20200503_194630_resized821242053408826641.jpg

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ran to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription on my lunch break. Figured while I was out, hit the grocery store for a few things. Over the weekend, while chatting with some old friends, the topic of pancakes came up, and a favorite pancake house in the Chicago area. So I got the bright idea to try and make this German apple pancake I used to love as a kid from there. Got some of the ingredients from some recipes I found online. Need to get a cast iron skillet, then some experimenting can begin. :biggrin:

Took delivery of my newest side work

Whew.... At first glance, I thought you said, "took delivery of my newest side piece" and was like damn, Mounce got it like THAT? :eek: :rotfl: I obviously didn't get enough sleep last night, so nobody mind me

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Over the weekend, while chatting with some old friends, the topic of pancakes came up, and a favorite pancake house in the Chicago area. So I got the bright idea to try and make this German apple pancake I used to love as a kid from there. Got some of the ingredients from some recipes I found online. Need to get a cast iron skillet, then some experimenting can begin. :biggrin:
Careful... I think the Unabomber started out with the same plan and things went awry ... :quiverlips:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Estimated cost of shed. Depending on foundation type, around $2400-$2800. Hm,
Ore than I was hoping. The foundation, siding, and roofing is what drives it up, framing is relatively cheap.

Oh, I never was able to get a hold of the unemployment office...

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
At work today as usual. Booked a few days off to give me a 6 day weekend. Have to finish staking our perimeter and pick up enough posts. Hoping to pound all the posts this weekend.

Crushed a workout and ended up tweaking my SI joint doing stair sprints. Sucks ass that's for sure. Now wandering around like a cripple again.

Edit: I whipped up a pound of moose burgers last night. I crushed a few today. Not so bad, heck my ten year old seemed to like them. A great post work out meal.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mapping out my route for an appraisal tomorrow. Got 2 subject properties and a handful of comparable sales to cruise around and get pictures of.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Didn't get to the Caprice yesterday as the groceries took a bit of time. I do one big haul so I don't have to go to the store as often. I guess COVID has turned most of us into Howard Hughes and his OCD about germs.

Will be a bit cool outside today and the next few days. Have to try and finish the driver seat and work in the garage on the passenger seat. Might try to get the console in as the sun is out and may provide some warmth.

@BrianF , I feel your pain having had back pains most of my adult life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online