What are you doing today? [Part II]

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I wish I was doing as little as possible.... we are in our third week of a heat wave. Hot and humid and way more than my pasty ass is meant for.

I've been fighting my Polaris Magnum again. Ran fine one day and dead to the world the next. Battery is toast and unable to charge past 10.5 volts. Then voltage regulator not working, then no power to the speedo, pod and connection issues at the switch gear.

I rip the handlebar switch gear down and find massive amounts of corrosion, 24 years worth. I clean it all.up and eventually get the connections all good. Clean up the key switch as well. Now able to trace power from the battery to the key, to the switch. I have continuity from the starter solenoid to the switch but no internal connection. I'll order one up.

New AGM battery, cleaned up various connections again and my winch, lights, pod and so on are all working. I can jump the solenoid and she fire right up. I have to mess with that damn voltage regulator again as I just got it working again....

Anyways, adjusted the tracks on the new skid steer. It's a funny yet simple method. To tighten, you just pump grease into a zerk with the tracks elevated. Then just measure sag. If too tight, release pressure.

Then made ribs. Kids devoured those.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I Jimmy rigged a hot wire switch for my Polaris Magnum. As I wait for new switch gear, this will have to do. If I head to town tomorrow I will snag a momentary switch as the only one I had on hand is a rocker..... not ideal. Anyways, it works great and away we go.

Attachments

• 20240721_183447.jpg
    20240721_183447.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Packing up and heading to the next park. I don't know how some people can do this full time.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You'll be fine... Wear something Quite WARM today... the Operating Theater will probably be as cold as around 50 Degrees F in order to reduce the presence of Air Borne Pathogens that might settle into the eyes with open cuts, etc.

I had both of my eyes done (one at a time, naturally ...for obvious reasons... like your Doctor has probably advised) and I also had Corneal Roundness surgery to correct my Astigmatism... for Ultra-Clear Vision and No Need for Driving Glasses ever again ...for all time. Ultimately... They will issue you an "Acrylic Lens License Card" for each eye to describe the New UV Light Resistant Acrylic Lenses they will have installed to allow you to see clearly for both distance and fairly close up viewing.

You will still need prescription reader glasses for Reading or better yet...set to your most comfortable Computer Screen Viewing. Avoid EVER walking around in Direct Sunlight without wearing True Glass Polarized Lenses in Sunglasses because ... just like the Head Lamp Lenses made of Acrylic will turn YELLOW over time... so too will your Brand New Lenses. The difference between having Cataracts and having these Brand New Lenses inside your "Ojos" will be ASTONISHING! Always avoid rubbing your eyes TOO HARD... lest the New Lenses dislodge and make for a return to the same Doctor to re-set it into position.

One Last Suggestion...My Doctor observed that with having such Deep Set Eyes shrouded by the surrounding loose skin...that I qualified for "Blepharasty Surgery"...literally "Plastic Surgery for the Upper Orbit of the Eyes" that was authorized for coverage under my Medicare Plan... and around $350.00 OOP (Out Of Pocket) on the day of each surgery per eye. Once completed ... It will knock your socks off to have such an improvement all around in your ability to Both SEE... And... Be SEEN... after all the ultra-fine stitches are removed and the healing is complete. Best of Luck to YOU, Brother...! :>)

PS...

Today is the first day since July 3rd, 2024 that my Wife has finally turned the corner on being so sick and developed enough of an appetite for me to suggest one of my "Dinner-Lunch" Go-Too Specials... Good Ol' Macaroni & Cheese. Here is Bobby's "Simple 12 Step Recipe" for this wonderful "Comfort Meal":

(1) Use a 9" X 13" Clear Pyrex Glass Baking Dish-(Tray?)
(2) Use a 1/4" Stick of REAL Butter to COMPLETELY Grease and cover the inner surfaces.
(3) Pour in a Bone Dry, One Pound Box of Elbow Macaroni into the Glass Tray.
(4) Grate a One Pound Block of Sharp Cheddar Cheese... ALWAYS use Sharp for this APP!
(5) Distribute the Cheese evenly and Pour in 16 Ounces of Whole Milk.
(6) Work from the Outer Edges inward, Spoon Lift and Fold the Elbows with the Cheese.
(7) Level the Elbows and Cheese to submerge & Top Off with either Chicken Broth or Water.
(8) Place in a Pre-Heated Oven Set on BAKE & using 375 Degrees F Heat for 50 Minutes.
(9) When you can smell it cooking away (The Oven Alarm will sound!) Add 5 More Minutes.
(10) Look at THESE Images for the expected results... Marvelously "Al Dente" Pasta!
(11) Lightly Dust with some "Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning" Superior Flavor!

MACKNCHEEZ1.jpgMACKNCHEEZ2.jpg

(12) ...and Bon Appétit...Ladies and Gents!

Last edited:

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I'm having a cataract removed form my right eye later today. Nervous as hell
Thankyou everyone for the well wishes and advise. I did not need to dress extra warm as I am part radiator as per my wife. Prep and recovery took longer than the actual procedure. Already had one follow up the next day, with another next week, then later in Aug. But all seems to healing well. Drops 4x a day for now. As for glasses, I have always wore them so no big deal, will get new perscription once cleared as well a perscription sun glasses. Thanks again everyone.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
What am I doing today? Having my last day at my current job. 13.5 years and I can't say I've been happier leaving a job before.

My next gig is still with the county but in building maintenance where I'll deal with stubborn inanimate objects rather than assholes and dickheads.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Currently waiting on a tow to get the Voy back home. I was having a slow leak on the drivers side front tire and decided to have it looked at when they lifted the front end the upper ball joint was in two pieces. The shank was still in the upper arm and the socket on the spindle.😠

In hindsight at least it happend when not in motion cause I've heard some horror stories.

These ball joints have got less then a year iirc on the truck and I don't ever see me purchasing Mevotech TTX again.
17219997832913933411434584778383.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
These ball joints have got less then a year iirc on the truck and I don't ever see me purchasing Mevotech TTX again.
Mevojunk strikes again! I've had similar experiences with the TTX. Why can't we find any good suspension and steering parts? I've got a Dorman outer tie-rod currently on the TB that replaced a TTX. Don't remember what I used to replace a lower ball-joint. I know regular Mevotech inner tie-rods are junk as I have had to replace them with ACDelcos.

Just signed off the final paperwork for the new job. My start date is Aug. 1st. My security clearance went surprisingly fast but my past service probably helped with that. Not like I went rogue after retirement :laugh: . Despite my pension, the bank account is getting kinda lean after two months of no extra revenue even though it was just minimum wage. Don't miss it though except for the employee discounts but triple the salary will make up for that :biggrin: .

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
What am I doing today? Having my last day at my current job. 13.5 years and I can't say I've been happier leaving a job before.

My next gig is still with the county but in building maintenance where I'll deal with stubborn inanimate objects rather than assholes and dickheads.
4 years, 3 months, 5 days and I'm going to clock out and never go back!

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Currently waiting on a tow to get the Voy back home. I was having a slow leak on the drivers side front tire and decided to have it looked at when they lifted the front end the upper ball joint was in two pieces. The shank was still in the upper arm and the socket on the spindle.😠

In hindsight at least it happend when not in motion cause I've heard some horror stories.

View attachment 113992
20240726_104542.jpg20240726_112405.jpg20240726_112411.jpg
My ride home on Friday morning and the broken ball joint before I replaced both upper ball joints late in the afternoon.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Picked up a good deal on a Furrion 1000w/2000w surge inverter. $180 for a $600 piece, brand new. Checked later and Amazon US has it for $99USD. Probably where here got them.

Anyway, I wanted a way to run the fridges while we're on the move with the RV. The outside fridge gets totally warm and the inside one stays a little cooler but takes forever to cool down again since it's an absorption type. I have two 6v golf cart batteries so I have plenty of reserve capacity and I have the power from the truck that can provide 30A while driving. Between the two, it can provide enough power to run both fridges. On top of that, it has a built-in transfer switch so as soon as the shore power cuts out, the inverter automatically provides power so the fridges don't stop. I just have to remember to turn off the main and converter breakers.

Initial tests went well. Powered both fridges and the fans didn't even kick on so power draw is reasonable. Real test will be when we actually go on the road.1000004480_resized5646289295003021770.jpg1000004481_resized6015384725095317254.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Well, now I know where he got them :mad:

PXL_20240730_165940932.jpg

That's Princess Auto. Went there today to return booster cables and I spotted them. They're not even on their website under the Furrion name.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For @Mooseman Regarding the New Inverter ..if connected to LiFePO4 Batteries in the RV... Post #20 @ THIS Link holds some Safety Relevance worth mentioning...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope, they're good 'ol fashion lead acid golf cart batteries. LiFePO4 Batteries are just too expensive as well as the equipment for them. I'd consider them if I were to start doing some serious boondocking with a solar array on the roof. I have a pair of Firman 1600W/2000W surge inverter generators for the odd time we do boondock.

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Enjoying an unscheduled day off, because due to the storm referenced in my previous post, the plant had no power. Of course, no one knew that until they showed up for work. The manager took the names of everyone that showed up, and we'll get 2 hours of pay.
I wouldn't be surprised if we have to work Saturday to make up for it, though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
First day of work at the new job. So far looks like an easy gig, managing 38 underused vehicles. Today had to deal with two that had dead batteries. The guy training me is good at managing the vehicles but not too mechanically inclined. The first one was a Malibu that started with a booster pack but I could tell the battery wasn't taking the charge (flickering lights and no restart after it shut down). The second was some Ferd hybrid. Boosted it and it took a charge. Convinced the other guy that we should just put a charger on it overnight and re-evaluate it tomorrow. These vehicles are so underused that the oil is being changed just on time rather than mileage. In fact, they've been doing it every 6 months at the same time as winter/summer tire changes with few KM on them. I'm gonna recommend that they should do it every 12 months as per owners manuals.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I need a job like that!

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Not today but a few hours after work last week and yesterday. I've been prepping and finally got to Por15 the 14 bolt tb SS rear diff I had laying around.20240803_175039.jpg
The kit did not come with enough por15 to do 2 coats. Luckly its avaliable at autozone so i'll get another can and rough up the surface on the diff and reapply since its well after the 6 hours recomended between coats.

And yes I know the brake dust covers are beat to hell but I have a new set on hand along with diff cover, seals, bearings, u joint all ready to get put in.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thats one of my big regrets with my Envoy... I have the 4.10 front dif, never found a rear, and I never got to enjoy it.. Now the Envoy is the spare vehicle, and no point.

Need to put that front dif up for sale...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
In the process of drying out. Tropical storm Debby passed with minimal incident. Mostly off and on rain, and some gusty winds yesterday. Ended up losing power this morning for about 2 hours, so chalked that up to a little extra nap time from work :tongue:

Buddy of mine who lives in a slightly lower elevation happens to be on vacation, so he asked me to check things out to make sure there was no damage or flooding. Made a trip yesterday, and today, so I'll be getting treated to dinner for my troubles. :biggrin:

The office was closed today, but there was a power outage in the middle of the night, which caused servers and the phone system to go offline for a bit. Our IT consulting company sent a few tickets requesting permission to work on stuff after hours (higher fees :nono: ) but knowing everything would be fine once power was restored, that was a big "NO"

Had some cleanup in the yard, few branches and dead palm fronds here and there. The 1 acre retention pond out back had risen probably 2 feet, and a lot of the trash that washed through the storm water system was caught in the brush by my property. Took advantage of the higher water levels to use my pool net and scoop out as much garbage as I could reach. That's my good deed for the day 😏

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Glad you didn't get hit bad by that storm. That's why I like living up here. I'll take -40 any day over hurricanes.

Today we are off to the Canadian Nationals Arab horse show in Red Deer, Alberta. We are making it a family trip since it's ten days. We are taking two vehicles, which is nice. Don't have to unhook the trailer and zipping around in a one ton gets old.

Attachments

• 20240806_111302.jpg
    20240806_111302.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 4

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Just relaxing at the horse show. Been long and busy few days. No big deal but my 15 year old daughter absolutely crushed her dressage tests today and riding disciplines yesterday. Like mopped the floor. I think she is sitting at 4 or 5 national championships. She beat out riders with more years in the saddle than she has been alive. Talking about some big name horses and trainers from Canada and the US. We are extremely proud and so are many others. She has been invited to catch ride for some big name trainers to train out of some big name barns.

We are mulling over sending her to Scottsdale next year for US nationals with one trainer to work for and get further exposure but, she's just a kid still so who knows.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
While Browsing over on the Internet Archive... I spotted an option to Download a ZIP File containing ALL 52 Training Videos offered from CALTECH on their famous College Physics Course called "The Mechanical Universe" (The FULL Two Year Segments).

It DID take a few days of patience for the entire thing to completely download...but OMG... What a FIND!. I also looked over on Amazon hoping to find the Course Syllabus and Formal Text Book associated with this course...and it would cost around $350.00 for the Two College Books.

So I thought, "WTH?" ... I dropped in on eBay and found them BOTH on hand for around $30.00 per Volume that completes all course material. For anyone interested in the underlying "Mechanics" behind how EVERYTHING mechanical actually operates in the Universe...THIS series is well worth downloading and enjoying:

Reactions: BrianF and Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I thought we had a "what did you buy today" thread.. But cant find it..

So on Saturday....

$800 on a TCL 75" Mini-QLED tv
$1000 on a JBL 9.1.4 Surround Sound
Was hoping for a Samsung, but my budget... Well.

Had a 65", but the motherboard is dieing. It still works, until it turns itself off for no reason. Its a old LG Plasma TV, 17 years old. So.. I had switched to my backup TV, a 44" Insignia Plasma. But when you have been watching TV on a 65" for so long.. Going down to a 44"...

My 42" Panasonic Plasma in my Bedroom still is rocking along, 24 years in!

Upgrading from a 3.1 for a 9.1.4.. Well thats a experience I have not had in the house before! Still need to get the rear speakers mounted. Its Wireless too! Just power wires, which is a lot easier than running speaker wire.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
While Browsing and Watching some Old SCIFI Movies today... I stumbled upon THIS Link to ALL of the SCIFI Classic Special Effects Movies created by the brilliance of Ray Harryhausen that include some of the BEST SCIFI Movies ...EVER Made.

So ... HERE is the opportunity of a lifetime to Download ALL of them. Just select the Download Options at the Mid-Right Screen Area and grab them all (22 Items)for all 16 of his Movies in One GO:

....Or...Pick and Choose from the extensive list here and watch them as live streams at The Internet Archive...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I’m getting addicted to listening to the Old BBC Radio Dramas… Mostly for their interesting story lines, superb voice acting and proven BBC Production Values… But also for the almost Hypnotic ASMR Value these shows have when one wants to be ‘Distracted enough to Fall Asleep’.

What’s More… The Internet Archive has gathered together and ZIP Packaged the most bewildering array of Sherlock Holmes Series you would ever imagine. But I WARN You… Once your start listening to these High Quality Shows… You will NOT want to STOP… :>)

SHERLOCKHOLMESZIPPEDSHOWS.jpg

Attachments

• Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes, The _ Arthur Conan doyle _ Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming...pdf
    874.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: BrianF

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Took the day off so my wife and I could run to the city. My oldest needed x rays to verify how her wrist was healing. She came off a horse two weeks ago and broke it in three places. Thankfully only sprained the other one. So we found it is healing well, moved into a fiberglass cast today that is scheduled to come off in another two weeks.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got home from work yesterday, did a couple of things around the house before dinner. Went to close the garage door, heard a loud POP, followed by the hum of the motor, and zero door movement. Uh oh... :wowfaint:

This morning, opened up the casing to find this...

20240906_073011_resize.jpg

Took the casing completely off and could see where the shattered sprocket was supposed to be sitting. Looks like everything else on the spindle is still there, and the worm gear is still whole.

20240906_073511_resize.jpg

The whole spindle is under $20, so will just drop in a whole new one. But I'll need to address the original problem that caused this mess. My door is grossly out of balance. Back in 2021, I wanted to replace the old rusty springs, before they broke on me. A buddy was replacing his door with a storm rated one, and offered me his brand new spring, since he wanted to reuse his existing ones. I thought it odd to be just a single spring, for such a heavy door, but went with it and swapped it in.

Mistake... I could open the door by hand, but it was heavier than it should have been. Door opener didn't seem to strain at all, so I left it. Summer of 2022, the cable on my chain frayed and snapped. Plastic pulley above the door opening also broke. Replaced both of those, chalked it up to age. But now, can't ignore this anymore, time to get things right. Still had the old springs in the shed, so compared their measurements to what came out of an online spring size calculator, and they weren't even close. No matter which weight I input, these were way too long, and the cones weren't painted, so I don't know exactly what they were before all the rust.

Will get the door weighed this weekend, and order the correct springs to hopefully get here later in the week. In the meantime, will be parking on the driveway, and hoping mother nature doesn't decide to roll thunderstorms through here when it's time for me to arrive home from somewhere :hahano:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online