What are you doing today? [Part II]

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Had some time yesterday so I decided to fix the stone chips in the windshield. Permatex kit, they look about 30% better. Wasn't worth it.
Dropping the TB off today to get a rust conversion done on the frame, and NH oil undercoating. Just trying to make it last a few more years. Hope that's worth it.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Bought myself a new vape mod. I dropped my old 1 in the yard yesterday and 2 screws flew out not to be found so it was time for an upgrade. Luckily the tank glass didn't crack and no noticeable damage to it.View attachment 100276
I have the Aegis Max 100W. If the battery door is a screw in type, be prepared to strip the thread. The pitch is so fine on them it's inevitable. There's a couple of different fixes for it including paper, plumbers tape and thin copper wire wrapped around the threads to "tighten" them up when they strip.

Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I have the Aegis Max 100W. If the battery door is a screw in type, be prepared to strip the thread. The pitch is so fine on them it's inevitable. There's a couple of different fixes for it including paper, plumbers tape and thin copper wire wrapped around the threads to "tighten" them up when they strip.
Its actually the spring latch type. I did hear about those with the screw in types and there issues. I also heard bad stuff about this type too with the door coming open unexpectedly. I'm hopefully it will last a good amount of time before that starts happening. 16200462012941122079042634961641.jpg

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
A little frustrated, and irritated this morning. Finally started doing some math on how many, and which components I was gonna need for my gutter system install. Found a contemporary vinyl style @ Lowes that grabbed my interest, because the hangers support the gutter from underneath, which would allow me to tuck them behind the drip edge nicely, without needing to mod it.

1620226852408.png1620226884825.png

Get on the website and start adding stuff to my cart, this style isn't in the store, but the site says in store pick up in 3-7 days. :cool: Go to check out and it says the gutters can't be delivered to the store, it was a special delivery item, that would have to come to the house, with a delivery fee. :mad: Fine, whatever. Then go to submit the order, and it says there's a problem with delivery, to please try again. :confused: No luck. Hop in the chat pop up, give the rep the item number and ask what's up. They take a few minutes to check, turns out the gutter is out of stock nationwide, with no ETA on when they'll restock it. :hissyfit: Well why the hell doesn't the website say that? And of course, every accessory for this still has plenty of stock available.

So now I'm back to looking at the traditional style, which means I'll have to notch the drip edge where the hangers will be, to get them to sit where I want them to. More work, my tin snips will get a nice workout, and a few more components to tie the corner pieces together with the straight ones. The EXT is jealous, the mod bug isn't paying any attention to it these days.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
After 2 of the chinese made tires got broken belts, I Installed 4 new Waterfall tires from wallymart on a lumina. First time I've ever bought a set of four new tires:celebrate: $4 fedex shipping from Arkansas to my door so it didn't make sense to make a trip to the store. Maximum 50psi and 149mph so now I will have to drive faster:2thumbsup:
Tires made in Turkey - I've used toilet paper from there and it was quite good - hope the rubber is also good. Who would think the Turks could outprice the chinese????

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Figured I'd share a lil story, in case anyone needs a chuckle. So I head to Lowes to get some gutter parts, grabbed a shopping cart to put everything in. With the length of the gutters and downspouts, I planned to stick the ends down in the front of the cart, so they extended up and over my shoulder as I pushed the cart to the register, sticker side up, so I wouldn't have to take them out, hit them with the scanner gun.

Roll up to the self check out area like I usually do, and I'm the only customer. Grab one of the front registers, position the cart in a good spot, and start handling the loose items first. Attendant greets me, some other people take the register behind me, and she goes to help them. As she walks by, one of the gutters decides to tip over backwards. I saw the end in the cart starting to go up, so grabbed it, and went to wedge it back down. Then the guy in behind me bumps one of the downspouts, so it starts tipping over too. Didn't catch that one, but he tried (and failed) so it hits the floor, nice and loud too. :duh:

For whatever reason, all the other pieces decided they didn't want to stay put either, which was really embarrassing, cuz now there were a ton of people coming into the self checkout area. So I just took them all out, and put them on the floor. At this point, I had a full sweat going, like I just ran across the damn parking lot. Got the rest of the stuff scanned and paid for. As I started loading up the cart again, the attendant asks me if I'd like her to tape some of the long pieces together. Sure, why not...

Naturally, the roll of masking tape didn't want to cooperate. Either wouldn't come off the roll, rip prematurely, or she'd lose the roll so the exposed tape would twist around and stick to itself. I was over it. Let her put 1 wrap on bundles of 3, thanked her and it was time to go. Will start this project either tomorrow after work, or Saturday morning. Haven't decided yet, but hope I got all the drops out of the way in the store.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
After 2 of the chinese made tires got broken belts, I Installed 4 new Waterfall tires from wallymart on a lumina. First time I've ever bought a set of four new tires:celebrate: $4 fedex shipping from Arkansas to my door so it didn't make sense to make a trip to the store. Maximum 50psi and 149mph so now I will have to drive faster:2thumbsup:
Tires made in Turkey - I've used toilet paper from there and it was quite good - hope the rubber is also good. Who would think the Turks could outprice the chinese????
The most incredible part of your story is "Lumina", I forgot about those :2thumbsup:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yesterday, installed this 12v accessory plug panel on my side of the bedroom in the RV. Quite nice with a USB charger too. Installed a regular 12v accessory plug on my wife's side. Both will supply power to our CPAP machines when we are stopped without power hookup like when at a Walmart or boondocking.

PXL_20210507_235016125.jpg
PXL_20210507_235040315.jpg

Today, not much. Went and picked up a used MIG welder. Nice little unit, has wheels, a handle and a spot to hold the tank so it doesn't need a separate cart. Not the most powerful but will be good for smaller jobs.

$_2.JPG

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Took advantage of the northern winds pulling down some dry air, and got to work on the gutters after work. Mostly went the way I expected, had to make some minor adjustments along the way, but that's always expected when doing something for the first time. FIgured I'd start in the back yard, away from the street, so if I was struggling, no one could see me. :laugh:

Got 1 mostly down, 4 more to go. Still need to install the splash guard where the 2 slopes meet, wall bracket for the downspout, add some screws to the downspout pieces so they don't come apart, and get a flip up diverter for the bottom section. Took me about 90 minutes, hopefully the rest of the simple ones go a little quicker tomorrow. The section with the corners will definitely take longer and will wait until next weekend. :crazy:

20210507_173840.jpg20210507_192259.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Purchased and started the install on the ductless mini-split system.

Living/dinning area unit 18k btu's
20210507_123347.jpg20210507_130018.jpg20210507_142409.jpg
Kitchen area unit 9k btu's
20210507_215637.jpg
Tomorrow I plan to get the 3 bedroom units put up and mount the condenser to the side of the house.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:undecided: I wonder if one of those would be good to put in my garage for cooling that down when I want to get some work done on stuff during the 6 or 7 months of the year that it's miserable to work in there. lol
When I had a garage at my previous house, I had an old window rattler. Absolutely loved it. Was planning on installing an old split system I picked up in my "new" garage but that whole dream is now gone. Not even sure if it still worked but I would have installed another window unit if it didn't.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

Attachments

• 20210118_190056.jpg
    20210118_190056.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 0

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I wish I was brave enough to take on flooring myself. Don't think my skills are in that neighborhood just yet. :no:

Got up early this morning and got after a couple more gutter sections. Did the shortest run in the front of the house, that one went up fairly quickly, was going to run the downspout down the wall and out towards the street, then it dawned on me I could run it down the front side of the corner behind the bushes, and out through the "landscaping" that way I didn't have to deal with it when mowing. Did manage to strip out the hole for the hanger at the highest point. Must have stayed on the drill a little too long. Will try to find a longer screw to deal with that.

20210508_132907.jpg

Was going to do the far side of the garage, but realized the section leftover from this one, was what I needed for the longest section combined with a full piece, with a couple inches to spare, so got on that one instead. This one was a little more challenging, since the joints are basically 2 piece clamps over the butt joint. Not much support, so had to be careful handling it, or putting any forces on the joint or they'd move. Had a brain fart moment with the downspout. Got the piece for the drop to the wall, measured 64" for the main downspout section. Got distracted by something, couldn't even tell you what it was anymore, and when I got back to cutting the next section, only cut 54" :duh: So when I go back for a few more supplies, I'll get a joiner to fix that.

20210508_132536.jpg

Even though we've got drought conditions down here, you can see how bad off my lawn is. Just as many bare spots as there are weeds and grass. :hopeless:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More stuff on the RV. Wasn't supposed to be doing much. I hooked up the water hose to the house and flushed out all the lines of antifreeze. Then installed a couple of fans in the fridge to aid in cooling. Just used some velcro and wired them to the light.
PXL_20210508_183104936.jpg

Then I noticed water dripping outside from under the trailer. The system was still pressurized so it was coming from somewhere inside. One of the valves for the hot water tank bypass was leaking. It's at a low point and when I pumped the antifreeze in the system, it likely didn't reach it and froze over the winter. So I cut the pex pipe at the valve and off to the hardware store which is only doing curbside due to the lockdown. Talk with the hardware store guy and the only way I can fix it is to buy the pex tools and replace it. Didn't want to go that way as I'm spending $50 for a tool I'll likely just use once and 8 feet of pex when I only needed about 4 inches. All fixed up. Good thing I didn't wait until the end of the month just before leaving or while camping to dewinterize it.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Yesterday.... Although raining for much of the day( off and on) got brackets put up and popped holes through the house. All the units up on the walls and foam sealed the holes from the outside. My brother-in-law was a big help yesterday with me being on the extention ladder. Got this far but had to cut the day short to get to a family baby shower. Turned out to be a nice evening with friends and family.20210509_065355.jpg20210509_065415.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Reactions: xavierny25

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got the 4th gutter section up, this time along the garage. Started pretty early while it was still relatively cool out, but once the sun started getting higher in the sky, the bees were all about that tree in front. No stings, but had a few get uncomfortably close, while I was wrapping the downspout around to the driveway. Probably gonna add another elbow at the bottom to bring it closer to the garage door.

20210509_113658 (1).jpg20210509_113710 (1).jpg

Fixed the goofed downspout in the back, and put wall brackets up all around. Still need to put up the splash guards up top, may do those during the week, but those should be quick. Planning to leave the last section for next weekend, but may start during the week if my impatience kicks in (it probably will :rolleyes: )

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Heading towards the finish line with the RV but got tripped up. Was gonna clean up, pick up tools and such when I was doing a walkaround and noticed there was an oh-so-subtle ripple in the back wall on the left. Start checking and pushing and... crunch! The underlying wall is starting to rot and the fiberglass is starting to delaminate. F*CK! this was on the left side. Check the right side and it's solid. Of course they used Azdel on the side walls, not the rear :mad: . Check up on the roof and there isn't anything really glaring that would cause it except a small crack in the sealer near the corner. They keep using this junk and what do they tell us to do? Put more on (moron). Not this time. I have a roll of black tape used for sealing these roofs that I used to seal the underbelly. I have seen several videos of this being used instead of Dicor. I didn't have enough left to do all the whole roof so I did the rear corners and across to at least stop any leaks for now. Cleaned using alcohol and it sticks like crazy.

I ordered another 50' roll of the black tape to seal the sides and a roll of the white tape so I can seal up around the vents, A/C and pipes.

I just hope that the wall isn't too far gone and it can stay like this. I've seen repairs to walls like this and it's an an absolute bitch of a job. Only seen one shop in Georgia that does this kind of work.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Me and the Mrs just came back from getting our first shot. Well organized, painless and uneventful. No waiting in line neither as we just showed up at our booking time at the vaccination site.

Now if we could just convince everybody else to get it :frown:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Got home afterwork today and went at the exterior wall bracket for the condenser. 20210510_202409.jpg
Was able to lag bolt it to 3 beams and used toggle bolts on all the empty bracket holes. Used another 2 toggle bolts for added support and to keep the lower braces where I need them to bolt down the unit. 20210510_202416.jpg
At 200lbs and being above the basement doorway I need it to be really secure. At a later date I'll be adding a secondary brace just for piece of mind.

It will be a few day before I get the needed help to get this up and onto the hanger.
To be continued....

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Had the 6cyl 2003 parts car hauled off today. Ive told the story many times but my Mother bought it new and drove it until probably 06 and then it I got it around the time my kids were starting to drive so its been passed down 1 after another. Hardly ever saw a shop....Had the original charge still in the AC up until maybe 6 months before i parked it. Over 230k miles and a LOT of memories.. Hated to see it go but it was an eyesore and a rat cage. Wanted to pull the tranny out but never got around to it. Tell ya 1 thing I felt a lot worse watching it leave the driveway for the last time than I did the ex-wife!!!!......:faint::faint::faint::faint:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
The girls an i transplanted the tomatoes into larger pots yesterday. Looks like i was killing them.... not enough water and left them too long as they were getting root bound. Oh well they should bounce back.

I never took an interest in gardening growing up. My dad was an avid gardener and tried his best to get me going but it wasn't my thing. Now, I find its what I needed. Hate people and its nice to do something where there is an end product and can spend the time with my kids.

My 4 days off turned into 2 but that was my own fault. So tomorrow I have to get a new set of moccasins on my work truck, do some work at my wife's store. She now has a partner in it and is looking to reopen soon. Nothing but work around here.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Getting new shoes (Goodyear Endurance) to replace the original China bombs on the trailer and getting the Avy aligned at the same time
. PXL_20210513_183702528.jpgPXL_20210513_183720547.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Signing loan docs, finding a spare tire, booking airplane tickets, work..

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Strange day. Managed to get some gas in the EXT mid morning. Wasn't able to do so earlier in the week, as everyone was panic buying gas cuz of the pipeline issues (that don't affect us here) :hopeless:

Got a call from the bank, to clarify some stuff for my HELOC. I was planning to follow up with the guy on Monday for an update on when the appraisal was gonna be schedule, so I could try to get on the schedule with the foundation repair company as soon as I could. Tossed the follow up question his way, and he says "Oh, the appraisal is already done, they went by last week and gave a quick glance..." Umm, you KNOW I was waiting on that lil piece of info right? That's why I was asking about it when we started this process, RIGHT? :hissyfit: House appraised for well over what I needed, so he suddenly remembered our earlier conversation and said I'd be good to go to get the ball rolling, and that we should probably be able to close by the end of next week.

Left a message for the foundation guy, to confirm what all paperwork I need to sign and send him, and to see what their schedule looks like. Last I checked they were 4-6 weeks out. Hopefully it's closer to 4 weeks still, started to notice a little cracking in the drywall inside the garage, good times...

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Signed all the loan docs..
Found a spare
Booked my Airplane ticket
Still working..

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Hung and ran all the line sets and drains lines where I needed them.

Used this set up to try and keep things nice and clean.20210514_202026.jpg
20210514_202107.jpg
20210514_200758.jpg20210514_200811.jpg20210514_200814.jpg20210514_200819.jpg20210514_200828.jpg20210514_200832.jpg

I also ran 8/3 bx from my electrical panel out to the disconnect box and the whip ready to get attached to the out door unit.

Tomorrow we will finally set the condenser on its hanger and flare the pipe ends to connect to the condenser and air handlers.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Had a busy day. Started the electric fence around the garden. Was going to run chicken wire but with the price of lumber, I am not going to spend the cash to have a kick and top board. Electric it is.

Got the lawn raked and mowed at my wife's store. Then back home to take a bunch more under the pine trees. It never ends with those.

Then after chores I put the fan on the k46 and got it buttoned back up on the tractor. Sharpened the blades as well. Tested great and my oldest cut for 30 or 40 minutes.

Greatful to be busy again as we got some mares from Edmonton area showing up tomorrow and then one from Saskatoon and another from near the Manitoba border next week or so. About bloody time to make some cash.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Staining the decks at my place and there are plenty, Mostly chasing the shade as you don't want to do this in direct sun..oh yeah, also trying to keep new puppy Scout from having Chestnut colored paws......

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Hung and ran all the line sets and drains lines where I needed them.
Nice work ! you are probably aware of this but, they make neat troughs to cover up those lines that can be painted to match the house, look a little gutters with the open side to the house.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Nice work ! you are probably aware of this but, they make neat troughs to cover up those lines that can be painted to match the house, look a little gutters with the open side to the house.
Thanks @northcreek! Yes I know about those (crazy expensive by the way)but I'm having new sideing going on next year. The current sideing is asbestos shingles and to have those removed would cost a small fortune. To save on that the installers will have to frame on top of it, insulate and then the new sideing can go on. That leaves enough room for the lines to be hidden behind it all.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Thur and Fri, been working on the pool opening it up. It was full of green swampy water because I didn't put a cover on it before the winter. At least I didn't have to get water trucked in to refill it. Already used up 10 3.6L containers of liquid chlorine and a couple of shock bags I had left over from last year. Lots of vacuuming and backwashing since it plugs up so fast with all the dirt and leaves on the bottom. Picking up another 14 containers of chlorine, more shock and some stabilizer ho help keep from losing it from the sun.

:rant:
One of the reasons I have to buy so many chlorines is because they reduced the size from 5L last year to 3.6L while keeping the same price. This is downsizing at its worse and a total ripoff as well as increased plastic waste. The other brand Crappy Tire sells did the same thing so just getting whatever is on sale. It's still the cheapest option available.
:rant:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
One of the reasons I have to buy so many chlorines is because they reduced the size from 5L last year to 3.6L while keeping the same price.
Not a pool owner but, news says that there is a chlorine shortage in the states due to the only producer having their place burn down. People are having no luck finding any here, so yeah why not stock up if you can get it... :2thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online