Tool Talk

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mounce - How do you like that Earthquake XT ratchet? I am looking for one in 1/4 and 3/8, and looking around on the market they are really expensive. And I cant seem to find one in 1/4 at all

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
@Mounce - How do you like that Earthquake XT ratchet? I am looking for one in 1/4 and 3/8, and looking around on the market they are really expensive. And I cant seem to find one in 1/4 at all

Pay up and get a Milwaukee. Earthquake ratchet works but is pretty crude honestly. I haven't gotten to use it much, maybe I'll come around to it once it gets some use.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Pay up and get a Milwaukee. Earthquake ratchet works but is pretty crude honestly. I haven't gotten to use it much, maybe I'll come around to it once it gets some use.
Just to add to this, get the regular Milwaukee. The HD one is the better unit but the head is actually quite large and like I've found it gets in the way and is kind of heavy... the balance is off. :tiphat:

Reactions: mrrsm

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I broke my Earthquake (same one as @Mounce 's); low hours, and I kept it oiled. Worse, it broke almost immediately after the 1yr warranty I took out on it expired.

As for how I broke it... I was using it to turn the screw / nut on a puller, trying to separate a pitman arm from the steering box it was attached to (off-vehicle). Not what I'd call super stressful, IMO, although I was running it intermittently for about 2hrs when it went. Maybe a 40% duty cycle, if I were to guess. As for PSI, I think it was about 110 or so (instructions say to run it at 90 psi max, but I couldn't get lug nuts off at 90.)

The anvil portion broke inside, so the shaft spins freely now, and can't build torque. Since parts aren't available for HF equipment, that forces purchase of a new one, probably an I-R or maybe the Milwaukee mentioned above.

BTW, I really like those Onyx 1/2" impacts. Will look at a set for myself.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I broke my Earthquake (same one as @Mounce 's); low hours, and I kept it oiled. Worse, it broke almost immediately after the 1yr warranty I took out on it expired.

As for how I broke it... I was using it to turn the screw / nut on a puller, trying to separate a pitman arm from the steering box it was attached to (off-vehicle). Not what I'd call super stressful, IMO, although I was running it intermittently for about 2hrs when it went. Maybe a 40% duty cycle, if I were to guess. As for PSI, I think it was about 110 or so (instructions say to run it at 90 psi max, but I couldn't get lug nuts off at 90.)

The anvil portion broke inside, so the shaft spins freely now, and can't build torque. Since parts aren't available for HF equipment, that forces purchase of a new one, probably an I-R or maybe the Milwaukee mentioned above.

BTW, I really like those Onyx 1/2" impacts. Will look at a set for myself.

Sounds like some bad luck, factory defect or something. I've had mine probably over a year or so and as you can see from the wear that it has seen some use. Running a balljoint press is probably the hottest supper its gotten but it's done that on two occasions. Plus other suspension work and enough lug nuts to choke a horse. I've been very pleased with it myself, got it on sale for $99. Haven't found a fastener that it can't handle yet. Time will tell as it's about to lose its weekend warrior status and go to work with me to be a daily beater in a month or so.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Wow... I didn't realize they started carrying parts. Doesn't look like they carry what I need (only a 'protective boot cover' available), but they are supposedly ramping up the parts availability.

I don't need a replacement "this minute", but I'll likely be shopping for one before they get more parts online. Thanks for the heads up - appreciate!

Reactions: Mounce

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Merry Christmas, Brother... the 'Coup De Grace' for completing this amazing set up (Really cannot Thank You enough on pin-pointing this Tool Chest @ THE Best HF Price, Man) .. is the $11.00 Pair of HF US General Magnetic "Scott" Blue Shop Towel Holder(s) with Rubber Coated 'Feet'. You can literally move and re-attach them ANYWHERE around the Chest and Supports close to the ground without scratching up any Painted Surfaces... and easily have Fresh Towels right "At Hand". The sheer amount of time I've saved by NOT having to chase around looking up, down and all over for my Tool Sets has been a Godsend. It is amazing how many Tools, especially BIG Tools, that this thing can hold:

USGENERALTOOLSHEST1.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST2.jpgUSGENERALTOOLCHESTDRAWER1.jpgUSGENERALTOOLCHESTDRAWER2.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST5.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST6.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST7.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST8.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST9.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST10.jpgUSGENERALTOOLSHEST11.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I had seen all of the various magnetic attachments obviously associated with these but found them all useless to me unfortunately lol. Only one I would like is the power strip but I haven't seen it in orange yet.

You had me sold on the towel holder for a second. Twas gonna use it to hold a whole roll of brown towels like you put in the auto dispensers but I realized it wouldn't fit. They're ubiquitous at work but rare at the same time lol.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The other reason I liked these separated "Soft Feet" Hand Towel Holders is because they can easily be Temporarily Attached to Mild Steel Body Panels and Fenders adjacent various filthy work areas under difficult, grease laden Repair Conditions. I've probably hand my hands submerged in enough Black Grease and Goop for my entire life that would fill quite a few 55 Gallon Oil Drums after over 60 years of 'Wrenching' now in my Rear View Mirror.

My gorge has always risen in disgust while having fought against "Working with Dirty Hands" when handling Tools and Parts. I suspect there is probably an outstanding Warrant from the U.S .Forestry Service on me for being personally responsible for Destroying Whole Forests in pursuit of keeping "Fresh Hand Towels" at the ready on every Repair Job. My choice of using Scott Lint Free Blue Shop Towels HAS been an expensive one... but keeping a Dozen Rolls of them on hand and available has made for added comfort while still Turning Wrenches in my Old Age. LOL

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I was looking at this...

HF Scanner

And from the things I can find, its almost, if not better than, the Snap-On Equivalent. Anyone have any experience, or know anything about it. I found a coupon, and its tempting me. I know the higher end Snap-On and Autel models will do what I need to do, but what does this HF model compare to in those other brands?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
So I was looking at this...

HF Scanner

And from the things I can find, its almost, if not better than, the Snap-On Equivalent. Anyone have any experience, or know anything about it. I found a coupon, and its tempting me. I know the higher end Snap-On and Autel models will do what I need to do, but what does this HF model compare to in those other brands?
I also would like to see some real world reviews of the Zurich. It is pretty tempting. I looked about it once but don't remember finding much of value. Everyone trash talking it for being cheap and such.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
@TollKeeper where did you find a coupon for HF's "good" stuff? It seems like fine print removes everything in the store except nitrile gloves and AA batteries
I'm more tempted by this

I think I've come to the conclusion that, metaphorically speaking, this new (caliber of the day) cartridge is almost as good as a 30-06. So why not just get the '06 then? I have a hard time justifying "tool truck" prices and being less than part time mechanic. But lately i've found some really good deals on very good quality tools, at discounted prices, like brand new snap-on 80 tooth and matco 88 ratchets and S-K sockets. a lightly used Cornwell torque wrench. And I'm returning 3 racks of Icon sockets that I had bought a few weeks ago, and hadn't opened yet. I know some of the stuff I bought is few dollars more (10%? ) , than what i had bought and was planning to buy at HF, but I feel it's worth it. 1) better quality 2) if i ever need to sell it, I won't have any problems getting good money back, and you can't say the same about tools made outside of the US, the secondary market for that stuff is poor.

Some of the tools I bought in the last 3 weeks, the pic is 47 pc 1/2 drive set.

47pc.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@TollKeeper where did you find a coupon for HF's "good" stuff? It seems like fine print removes everything in the store except nitrile gloves and AA batteries
I'm more tempted by this

I found it on sheer chance. Just searching for a "scanner" and it pulled up that one. When I saw the price, thats when I started doing research on it.

The coupons I have, either come by email, mail with their mailer, or just looking at random pages on their website, and every now and then, a coupon comes up across the top of the screen. Have one for 40% off for any single item in store.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It does in the add, but its suppose to be able to do more than the Solus, and I was trying to find out what all "more" it does. I hope that makes sense LOL

Reactions: Beacon

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I found the review below. It does not specifically say if the scanner can program one of the computers or not. It also does not say if it can run a CASE relearn. Looks to have everything else you would want though. Nice find @TollKeeper !

Reactions: Blckshdw

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I found the review below. It does not specifically say if the scanner can program one of the computers or not. It also does not say if it can run a CASE relearn. Looks to have everything else you would want though. Nice find @TollKeeper !

I read over the review, and I see that it does mention "special functions" but they didnt use them in that review. And thats the area I would be most interested in. Looks like I might have to do a Harbor Freight tool rental to see if it does what I need it to do.

Its either spend 750+taxes for this from HF, 1350 for a complete Tech2 kit, or 400 for a Tech2 with no cables or plugs, and piece it together. Quite the dilemma...

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I bought my Tech2 from the Ebay seller below and did not have any issues with delivery or anything. It ships within the US. I received it in about a week and it costs $350.

It is confusing though, because it says it's shipping from China but, the item location is New Jersey.

If you can program with that Zurick, I would probably buy that one. I have had a few occasions where I couldn't help a buddy either because the vehicle was too new or was not GM based.

Edit: I just checked that listing again and he only has 1 left.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My aunt picked me up one of those earthquake cordless 1/2 inch impacts. The one with the 2 inch extension built in. Thing is sweet. Lugs haven't been of the 753 in 10 years and busted them off like they're hand tight.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Update: broke it already. :duh:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Failure mode? I'm sure they'll swap it out.
It doesn't freewheel anymore, it's just stuck hammering the anvil. Switching to tighten fixes it for a bit then it does it again. Something internal binding.

whodwho

Mar 7, 2019
CA

Just to add to this, get the regular Milwaukee. The HD one is the better unit but the head is actually quite large and like I've found it gets in the way and is kind of heavy... the balance is off. :tiphat:

To add to this, I have old Snap-On 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets and wanted to replace them. I spent a lot of time researching and had a hard time justifying but went with the 3/8 Fuel version of the Milwaukee and it is a great unit. I have used it a LOT and has performed well and battery life has been great.

I would probably go with the cheaper one for the 1/4" one but the Fuel for the 3/8, it has a bit bigger ratchet head but is a beast and close to an air ratchet for torque.

whodwho

Mar 7, 2019
CA
Picked up the folding side tray for the roll cart. So much more room for activities :laugh: ignore the mess of tools, that's what it looks like when I have half of my tools in my carry box and get out what I need on the spot to do brakes. Also snagged a pliers rack/organizer while I was at the HF.

View attachment 92169

64972_W3.jpg

Now you need the side box for the other side, I have one for mine and it works great. I don't wheel it around that much as I have a bit of a steep driveway and it would probably run away with as much as I have it loaded down 8^)

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
To add to this, I have old Snap-On 1/4 and 3/8 ratchets and wanted to replace them. I spent a lot of time researching and had a hard time justifying but went with the 3/8 Fuel version of the Milwaukee and it is a great unit. I have used it a LOT and has performed well and battery life has been great.

I would probably go with the cheaper one for the 1/4" one but the Fuel for the 3/8, it has a bit bigger ratchet head but is a beast and close to an air ratchet for torque.
I actually used my cousins 3/8 on the vette today. While it has a ton more balls there were a lot of bolts it couldn't get to that the regular sized one could have. That being said, a corvette is way more cramped under the hood than the average vehicle. It busted off exhaust manifold bolts like butter so I'm not complaining lol.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
64972_W3.jpg

Now you need the side box for the other side, I have one for mine and it works great. I don't wheel it around that much as I have a bit of a steep driveway and it would probably run away with as much as I have it loaded down 8^)
I had seen on Reddit that those were supposed to fit! Is very tempting for sure and I'll be needing more room in it sooner than later. How's it affixed? Kinda like a standard hang-on side cabinet? Can you post a picture of the setup?

Once mine is in action it'll be rolled miles a month at work..I don't know how I'd feel about giving up my handle but would love the extra room. I imagine I'd grow accustomed to grabbing it by the cabinet or the side tray.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Update: broke it already. :duh:

Well, I hope I get more use out of the Earthquake XT 1/2" air impact I just picked up today. Not a bad deal for $119USD with coupon. Also got a new rolling adjustable seat with the 5 casters ($19 with coupon), an ammo box for my son ($3.99 with coupon), some test leads ($3.59) and a simple wire stripper ($2.79).

I wasn't too keen on their Bauer cordless impacts and from @littleblazer 's experience, glad I went with the air, which seems to have a loyal following. I had other air impacts but torque wise weren't up to a lot of tasks. This one at 1190lb/ft should fill the bill with the rusty bolts and nuts.

Reactions: Eric04 and mrrsm

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well, I hope I get more use out of the Earthquake XT 1/2" air impact I just picked up today. Not a bad deal for $119USD with coupon. Also got a new rolling adjustable seat with the 5 casters ($19 with coupon), an ammo box for my son ($3.99 with coupon), some test leads ($3.59) and a simple wire stripper ($2.79).

I wasn't too keen on their Bauer cordless impacts and from @littleblazer 's experience, glad I went with the air, which seems to have a loyal following. I had other air impacts but torque wise weren't up to a lot of tasks. This one at 1190lb/ft should fill the bill with the rusty bolts and nuts.
It's the earthquake brand, not the bauer. It's actually a really nice piece competitively speaking but that left me a tad disappointed...

Their air guns work reasonably well. Their torque ratings are inflated just like everyone elses but for a half inch you probably won't find much it can't take off. You'll find the limit on your compressor for sure though lol.

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And my Ryobi impact has been working fine for the past couple of years. It's just with the harder stuff it struggled with I wanted a backup. I have a 5hp 20 gal. direct drive compressor. Not the fastest to refill itself but does the job noisily!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The belt drive at my aunts is the reason why the engine tear down happened there lol.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yikes, those side cabinets cost more than the roll carts. Not sure I'll spend $200 on that when you can get a whole box for double.

Also saw on Reddit where a guy bought two of the roll carts and made one out of the two. Full bank of drawers and the nice top section to boot. Kinda like a 'tech cart' that the big names sell. But it seemed very involved to make and I don't think I'd have the patience for it.

whodwho

Mar 7, 2019
CA
I had seen on Reddit that those were supposed to fit! Is very tempting for sure and I'll be needing more room in it sooner than later. How's it affixed? Kinda like a standard hang-on side cabinet? Can you post a picture of the setup?

Once mine is in action it'll be rolled miles a month at work..I don't know how I'd feel about giving up my handle but would love the extra room. I imagine I'd grow accustomed to grabbing it by the cabinet or the side tray.
A little late and I know you veered away after seeing the price, I wouldn't doubt it doubles the space and in less room. It does hang like a regular side box from either side.

You can find it cheaper and there is the 25% coupon currently going on 8^)

IMG_3736.jpg

And a couple cause I tidied it up some for the pic and I love my tools! 8^)
IMG_3731.jpg
IMG_3733.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
A little late and I know you veered away after seeing the price, I wouldn't doubt it doubles the space and in less room. It does hang like a regular side box from either side.

You can find it cheaper and there is the 25% coupon currently going on 8^)

View attachment 92276

And a couple cause I tidied it up some for the pic and I love my tools! 8^)
View attachment 92277
View attachment 92278
Thanks for the response! I'm not sure that it's completely off the table now seeing the extra room it provides but I had some intense sticker shock to begin with haha.

Reactions: Redbeard and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It's Quite an Awesome, Well Organized Set Up... and that new addition seems to be begging for another Pair of Supporting (Locking?) Casters under there to "Eliminate... The Strain of Weight" that would follow in due course of getting it loaded up to the top with more Tools... and/or having anything Heavy laying on the Table Top Area.

whodwho

Mar 7, 2019
CA
It's Quite an Awesome, Well Organized Set Up... and that new addition seems to be begging for another Pair of Supporting (Locking?) Casters under there to "Eliminate... The Strain of Weight" that would follow in due course of getting it loaded up to the top with more Tools... and/or having anything Heavy laying on the Table Top Area.
Thank you, it works ok for a budget home setup. I had a Snap-On 60" KRL series box w/side cabinets for a work box but but had to leave it behind on a move. It had suspension casters and a tow hitch 8^)

It actually is an old addition a couple years ago. Bulky heavy stuff is in work bench storage so it is mostly loaded with lighter meters, gauges, timing light, etc. The top is just for the electric tools and chargers and the tray is a staging platform for dirty tools prior to putting them back to bed. I don't roll it around much, I have carts for wheeling around. I would bolt on the cabinet and consider updating/adding casters if it was mobile or look into getting a real box.

Reactions: Blckshdw and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You scared me for a minute...I had to rub my :crazy: until I realized how very considerate it was of you to get "The Lil Woman" a High Quality Impact Tool... with just a hint of "T*tty Pink" Coloring. :>)

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I just ordered a $30.00 “Lock-N-Lube” Grease Gun Coupler because I’m just so G’Damned Tired of needing Three Hands in order to (1) Hold The Grease Gun Cylinder… (2) Hold the Pump Handle AND (3) Hold the Grease Gun Hose Coupler on top of all the Thirsty Zerk Grease Fittings on the FloorJacks, Engine Hoist and Suspensions of all my Vehicles and NOT have that Damned Stock Hose Fitting Coupler suddenly popping off and squirting Fresh Grease all over Hell And Gone:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H7LPKKU/?tag=gmtnation-20

51Cr8wrM3XL._AC_.jpg61-bsEdMzJL._AC_SL1449_.jpg71tICmC2dJL._AC_SL1414_.jpg71FF6Yn3WjL._AC_SL1414_.jpg81bfdNuZauL._AC_SL1500_.jpg71LBzLzdLPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg31spYYYP7XL._AC_SX466_.jpg714zJVexbtL._AC_SX466_.jpg

This is a Great “Real Tool Test” Pros-N-Cons- In-Use Demo Video describing all of the neat features of this Lock-N-Lube Grease Gun Coupler:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online