Tool Talk

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@Blckshdw here are some shoots of my brothers tool chest although not in it's best shape with everyting going on in the shop right now.20180427_120641.jpg20180427_120810.jpg20180427_120718.jpg20180427_120624.jpg20180427_120615.jpg20180427_095735.jpg
This is wire shelf bent up to hold screw drivers in selective slots pretty cheap diy.20180427_094807.jpg
The foam boards he is working on.20180427_094813.jpg
Pretty thick stuff.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thanks @xavierny25 for those, that's helpful. Where'd he get those foam boards from? Is that the kind that comes in peel apart layers?

I've got a small table with a lower shelf in the front corner of my garage. It needs a good cleaning, before I decide if I wanna keep it, or scrap it to have more walking room next to the truck when parked. Previous owner had plenty of spills on it, which accumulated a lot of dirt afterwards. It's bolted into the bricks, so not quite as simple as putting it outside and knocking all the junk off of it.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
@Blckshdw sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this....20180505_125423.jpg20180505_125444.jpg20180505_125449.jpg
This is all the info I got on it. Hope it helps there are also some tools you'll need to get it done.

Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
You guys are making me jealous of your work benches. How I long to have a garage to set one up :frown:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You guys are making me jealous of your work benches. How I long to have a garage to set one up :frown:

I hear you brother. That's how I felt soon after finding this community, and going to our mini meets to work on our vehicles. Only took me 8 years to work out the necessary details. LOTS of baby steps. Now I've got the space, gotta build things up bit by bit. Never enough money to do it quickly though :Banghead:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I hear you brother. That's how I felt soon after finding this community, and going to our mini meets to work on our vehicles. Only took me 8 years to work out the necessary details. LOTS of baby steps. Now I've got the space, gotta build things up bit by bit. Never enough money to do it quickly though :Banghead:

The thing with having alot of tools is (with me anyway) you forget what you have after a while of not using them. Organization is key but when you put stuff in bins box after box you loose track. I tend to forget what I bought and repurchase. Later to find out I had the same tool somewhere I didn't intend to even look.:Banghead:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You're right about that. For the longest time I only had a tiny tool box, something worth keeping in the truck really. So when I bought larger tools, electric stuff, I'd forget what box I kept them in. Upgraded to the Rigid ones, and that was nice for a while, until I accumulated more, and they were all just lumped in together. So even if I could remember what i had, finding it in a rats nest of tools in a big box was frustrating.

After I moved into the house last year, it got a little easier, since the kitchen table, and one of the kitchen counters became primary tool storage, and some of the shelving units I put in the garage were for the larger items. Still need to figure out just where I want everything, but I have the most frequently used stuff readily accessible. No more random boxes in this room, some other room, the garage, or the kitchen :bonk:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
What tempted me beyond the price drop for this TEKTON WRN77164 Extra Long Flex-Head Ratcheting Box End Wrench Set was the fact that they have a unique method of covering the 12 Consecutive Metric Sizes that run from, 8MM all the way up to 19MM... and it is almost impossible to find any useful 11 MM Ratcheting Wrenches anywhere with the high quality and flexibility that this highly versatile and compact kit came with. Here is what Amazon offers now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F512HOU/?tag=gmtnation-20

I took some images of this kit after it arrived earlier on Tuesday morning:

DSC02291.jpeg

DSC02290.jpeg

DSC02282.jpeg

DSC02288.jpeg

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What tempted me beyond the price drop for this TEKTON WRN77164 Extra Long Flex-Head Ratcheting Box End Wrench Set was the fact that they have a unique method of covering the 12 Consecutive Metric Sizes that run from, 8MM all the way up to 19MM... and it is almost impossible to find any useful 11 MM Ratcheting Wrenches anywhere with the high quality and flexibility that this highly versatile and compact kit came with. Here is what Amazon offers now:

Nice find Bob! Those have been added to my wish list for future reference :thumbsup:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
That is a beautiful set and the extra long feature makes it even better. You know, in all the wrenching that I've done over the years I can't ever recall coming across an 11mm anything....but, if I do, now I'll know where to go :2thumbsup:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Actually... the only times that I can recall the need for wrenching on anything 11MMs in dimension was for the R&R - Rebuild and Replacement of the Door Hinges Fasteners on my two F-Body Camaros, as depicted in this attached eBay image... (I have this exact K&M "S" shaped Tool ...somewhere out in the Labyrinth called "My Garage"... but not a handy image of this item). The idea here though is that the TEKTON Company did not arbitrarily 'skimp' on including any of the sizes of these unique Metric Box End Wrenches ...so from 8MM on up to 19MM... you can be confident that if you ever happen to run into an "Odd" one... you'll always have the ways and means to get them off and back on again... Using Ratcheting Box End Tool pairs that are laid out as either "Pairs of Odds" or "Pairs of Evens". :>)

11MMDOORHINGETOOL.jpg

CAUTION*****CAUTION*****CAUTION*****CAUTION

I would strongly urge everyone NOT to attempt to use the 8MM-10MM flavor of this TEKTON Ratcheting Wrench Set on the (-) NEGATIVE BATTERY Terminal... as ... if you make the mistake of dropping the opposing Extra Long End onto the (+) POSITIVE BATTERY Terminal... it will instantly Weld itself on there ...followed by Very Big Problems!

DSC02290.jpeg

Last edited:

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Several months ago, while at the Portland Swap Meet, I came across this Plasma Cutter Table. It was being offered in kit form for $160 and looked to be well thought out and engineered. So I bought it now I have some time to put it together.

It appears that the seller isn't offering it in kit form now, but if you are interested, check with them.

https://www.911motorsports.net/Plasma-Table_c_16.html

attachment.php

The kit came with everything in the picture, except the cross slats and the 17 gallon tub; which I bought at Tractor Supply for $18. The cross slats are 1/8"x2" pieces. The kit came with some good instructions even documenting how long each of the cross slats were.

Here is a YouTube video of plasma cutter table, just the way that I got mine.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
:undecided: If only I had a tire mount and wheel balancing machine... :tongue:
Tire machine is available from Harbor Freight for $45 on sale or with coupon. I've mounted 11 tires with it so far - It's more than paid for itself.
You can also buy a fairly cheap balancer from them, but I made my own. But here's a trick you should know that they won't do in a tire shop. Check the balance of the rim alone. The heavy point is usually marked on the tire. Then mount that point opposite of the heavy point on the rim. I did all 4 that way and I've tested it to 90mph with barely noticeable vibration. No balancing weights needed:2thumbsup:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Made a case spreader to remove the guts from my Dana 44 front diff.
I followed the instructions on YT but, that just sheared off the 5/16" grade 8 bolts. So I added two 7/8" dowels to go into the holes there for the OEM spreader. Worked great but, there is some real tension there and the 1/2" all thread was at it's breaking point, 5/8" would be better.
100_4298.JPG100_4302.JPG100_4303.JPG

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Had a bit snap off in my cordless impact. Thought I could drill it out, thread an old screw in there and yank it out, but I think I've dulled 2 drill bits already and not gotten much depth so far :frown:20180923_142059.jpg

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Good Grief Charlie Brown!
You probably will not get fortunate on this :sadcry:. To drill it out you will need a solid carbide drill bit (see big $), but then the steel is strongly heat treated and a tap is probably not able to get any threads started due to the heat treatment and most likely just going to break the tap. Good luck.
Just my 2¢

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:ugh: That's kinda what I was fearing. If I knew how to weld, I could try tacking on a screw or something, but that's not an option. :no:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
doesn't it pull back or forward to release the bit?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The chuck pulls forward... I dismantled that, to release the ball bearings that keep the tension, sprayed some PB blaster in the openings and let it sit for a bit. The groove in the bit for the bearings gave me a little real estate to get a pick on there, but tapping with a hammer didn't help. Poked around online, and looks like this part is the anvil (#19). I'll dismantle the drill after work, and see if it's hollow, so I can punch out the bit from the inside. It goes for about $8, so not expensive to replace if I need to. :thumbsup:

:undecided: If it's not hollow, I may pick up more than one, cuz something tells me this may not be the only time this happens. :yes:Makita Exploded Diagram.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Neodymium magnet. Tap the chuck around it with a hammer to allow it to break free and then pull. It should come out that way... don't ask how I know....

I pretty much only use the Milwaukee impact rated attachments now because they're the only ones I've used that seem to last any period of time and when they break they fail at the 3/8 drive joint. Granted I'm using that thing 100 times a day or so too...

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I saw a video like that last night, and tried it with high hopes, since I had some neodymium magnets on hand, but no dice. As solid as it felt when trying to push it with the pick/hammer combo, I'm guessing the base deformed just enough for it to twist and wedge itself in there just before it broke?

This one was the 1/2" adapter which I almost never use, usually just to spin off the lug nuts. The 1/4" one I've routinely had problems with getting stuck. I'd have to lock some vice grips on the lip and knock it with a hammer to release. The 3/8" adapter got the most use, and always worked like a champ. May be time to upgrade from the HF specials...

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Can you hit the end with a punch and get it to twist in the base? If it is cocked that may do the trick and then the magnet may work?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
No luck breaking the bit free with a punch, and a smack so here's where we're at now... :hopeless:

Tear down wasn't too bad, but getting the transmission housing apart took a lot of force. Had the base clamped in my vice, but I had to use one hand to keep the tool chest from sliding since the locked wheels weren't enough to hold it in place while I cranked on it with channel locks. I guess I need more tools to weigh it down? :undecided:

New anvil is on order, these places kill me, shipping is almost as much as the damn part! :mad:
20180924_220521.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
EDITED ON Monday, 01/07/2019 @ 2306
Hrs.

Serpentine Belt Removal Tool Kit

This Kit was On Sale via Amazon and instead of either paying too little for a Single Tool... or too much for an over-the-top Kit... THIS particular one fell right in the middle and made the most sense to obtain to handle ANY kind of Serpentine Belt configuration we might face. Here are some images from my "Flickr-Bucket" describing "Specialty Tools" that will provide more details and perhaps enough justification for picking up this Kit up ...at a Reduced Price:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/albums/72157675220328698

...and as mentioned ... it is presently available from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028QGTQI/?tag=gmtnation-20

POWERBUILTSERP[BELTOOLKIT.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
EDITED ON Monday, 01/07/2019 @ 23:15 Hrs.

A Better Quality Slide Micrometer with Depth Gauge Support Fixture:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDUD67G/?tag=gmtnation-20

Pros:

(1) It Uses The Common CR-2032 Coin Batteries instead of those GDed… Stupid, Microscopic Shirt Button sized EmmEffers that NEVER seem to last very long.

(2) It has this Very Cool ability to Display Whole Number with Fractional Measurements down to 1/128th of an Inch ...along with displaying the usual SAE Inch & Metric and Decimal Measurements.

(3) It comes with a decent Vertical Vernier Micrometer Stand...and in my case, Very Much Needed for plunging into the Block Bolt Holes for getting the various Depth Specs for TIME-SERT Installations at (14) Main Crankshaft Bolt Positions.

(3) It has all of the Quality and Accuracy required ...for only around Fifty Bucks:

(4) It has a USB DATA Loading Port that will allow you to upload your Measurements into your Laptop Computer/CAD Program with an Optional USB to Caliper Device.

Here are the rest of the “Un-Boxing” images that will bear out a decent viewing of all the important aspects of this IGaging Vernier, Digital/Analog Micrometer -slash- Gauge:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I got this cordless ratchet after the price dropped under $100.

71aCLpaMHaL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P53VYN/?tag=gmtnation-20

It was $65USD on Nov.23 when I ordered it (now $75). There are others that are now lower but it's the only one that offers extra batteries separately for $20. Contrary to the image, it comes with just one battery and charger.

I used it just recently on the fuel rail swap and it certainly helped getting things done quicker, especially with the intake manifold bolts except for that last one in the back that the spot was just too restrictive for the large tool. 3/8 is better than the 1/4 model as it can be used with 1/4 sockets with an adapter, which I did for the 10mm bolts. It also made short order of the alternator bolts with a proper length extension.

Just one caveat, use a regular ratchet to break the bigger bolts. It's definitely not for high torque situations.

I do have an air ratchet but not having to deal with the hose and the compressor running is a whole lot better.

Edit: This one is EXACTLY the same, comes with 2 batteries and a case for $90. Much better deal and I would have gotten it but was out of stock at the time.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZWBYBK/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
EDITED ON Monday, January 7th @ 23:00 Hrs.

Having a Set of Metric Offset Wrenches can make gaining a decent lock on hard to access Fasteners much easier in cramped quarters.

Here is a Complete Set of Forged, Chrome-Vanadium Steel Metric Offset Wrench Kit (Sizes: 6 x 7mm, 8 x 9mm, 10 x 11mm, 12 x 13mm, 14 x 15mm, 16 x 17mm, 18 x 19mm, 20 x 22mm) available at Amazon for the very reasonable price of around $23.00 with Free S&H. Great Satin, Non-Slip Finish vs. Chrome Plated versions:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006HAQW36/?tag=gmtnation-20

METRICOFFSETBOXENDWRENCHSET.jpg

Last edited:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
In case anyone was wondering the yellow daytona jack from harbor freight is a hoss of a jack. Strong and super smooth. Wait for a coupon unless it's an emergency. (ps it's a direct snap on copy and they actually sued over it.. And lost)

Also I've posted about it in the paid section but their 1/2 earthquake air impact is absolutely rowdy and I'm super pleased considering I caught it on sale for $99 along with their 3/8 electric ratchet for the same price and its nice too.

(HF's 20-25% off coupons don't cover their good name brands such as earthquake or daytona. But they still run random coupons on those specific items)

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
EDITED Monday 01/07/2019 @ 22:42 Hrs.

I have @Mooseman to thank for prompting me in Post # 273 to look at Battery Powered 3/8” Drive Ratchets. I selected this AOBEN 3/8” Battery Powered Ratchet Kit for $89.99 to solve the problem:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZWBYBK/?tag=gmtnation-20

AOBENRATCHETKIT.jpeg

I looked at the one suggested by @Mooseman but decided to get this AOBEN KIT version instead… only because it came with a Second Battery and has a Decent Battery Life and Plenty of Torque.

Pros:

(1) Great Carry Case, Extra Metric 3/8" Sockets, Small Ext. & 1/4" to 3/8" Adapter.
(2) Has a Power Switch to Lock the Lever vs Accidental Activation.
(3) It feels very solid & strong and shows a Quality, Small Steel Power Head.
(4) The Trigger Mechanism is surprisingly VERY sensitive - No “runaway” .
(5) Hand Lever activates a Very Bright Light directed on Work Area.
(6) Includes TWO Batteries; Both Charged Completely in (2) Hours.
(7) All In All... A lot of Useful Gear at a Great Price.

Cons:

I could say a lot more in its favor... ;>)

If @Mooseman had not brought this up on "Tool Talk" in such a timely manner, I might've missed the chance to consider getting such a vital accessory. I ‘PREESHIATE You, Brother!

More Images for scoping out its features:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/albums/72157675220328698

Last edited:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
SO basically you bought a battery operated rachet based on @Mooseman 's recommendation and you plan on using it to work on your son's truck.

I don't know why you have to be such an infomercial on a product that you haven't used yet.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've been using the crap out of my Vonhaus, which is exactly the same as that Aoben. In fact, I wanted to buy that one but they were out of stock at the time. Case would have been nice too. Battery life has been surprisingly good.

Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
From Amazon… For $11.56 w/ Free S&H: 30 Piece, Complete SAE-METRIC Hex Wrench Set:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I5TH074/?tag=gmtnation-20

TEXTONHEXWRENCHKIT.jpg

Pros:

(1) BIG, Well Organized, Well Marked Carry Case & Positive Locking Holders per Wrench.
(2) The SAE Flavor sports a Long Length Design for added Torque/Tightening.
(3) A Lifetime Replacement Warranty if any of these ever Break.
(4) Chamfered Tool Ends to ease Hex-Hollow insertion actions.
(5) Case has a Thumb Cut-Out for EZ case Opening/Closing.
(6) Very Inclusive of the Hex Wrench Sizes ordinarily required.
(7) Good ‘Bang for the Buck’.
(8) Beats digging into the Bottom of Toolboxes to find these things in the “Right Type & Size”.

Cons:
None.

Some additional, Post Purchase Images for Close Up Package & Product Details:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126111508@N07/

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Question for the community, does anybody dabble in any HVLP painting? I'm looking at different options for spray guns, and am not really sure what to look for. To my untrained eye, they all look the same, but the price ranges are pretty wide, so there's gotta be something to that somewhere... As far as I can tell, you gotta match your spray tip size to whatever product that you're spraying, and that info usually comes from the product itself. Any other considerations to keep an eye out for?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.