Tool Talk

Nov 8, 2015
Lehigh Acres, Fl
I'm sure that's a really nice set. If I was constantly fabricating stuff, or worked in a shop of some kind, that would be something to consider. But as infrequently as I'd have the need, there's no way I could justify that cost. The options I'm looking at cost less than 10% of those :crazy:
We also sell them individually, buy the sizes you need, make friends with a local rep in the truck, they carry a lifetime warranty as well.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
The Super at work got me a new toy but I'm not happy. It's know where near as good as my trusty Fieldpiece. This is going to sit some where and collect lots of dust.

Attachments

• 20151223_085731.jpg
    20151223_085731.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The Super at work got me a new toy but I'm not happy. It's now where near as good as my trusty Fieldpiece. This is going to sit some where and collect lots of dust.

:undecided: That 'For Sale' section of the forum though... :biggrin:

Maybe make a few bucks to contribute to the mod fund

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't think I've ever seen a fluke meter with so few options... I'd still take it lol.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:bump: Looking into some inflators to buy, wondering what everyone who doesn't have a compressor/tank solution, is using.

Couple of the players in the game,

1. this Kobalt model from Lowes.
    027488603516.jpg
  2. this Slime model from Autozone.
  3. and this Husky model from Home Depot
    60791be0-3c7e-4fa5-a643-c16d3dd5612c_1000.jpg
Not in any real hurry to buy one, but want something I can plug into an AC outlet. Having the 12V additional option would just be frosting on the cupcake.

Reactions: dmanns67

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
:bump: Looking into some inflators to buy, wondering what everyone who doesn't have a compressor/tank solution, is using.

027488603516.jpg
Not in any real hurry to buy one, but want something I can plug into an AC outlet. Having the 12V additional option would just be frosting on the cupcake.

I was driving around with the $30.00 harbor frieght one. But I totally forgot about have it attached and drove off and it went bye bye. So I'm kinda in the market for one aswell. It did fit nicely under the driver rear passanger seat.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

027488603516.jpg
I have a small slime 12 volt pump that works well. Inflated a 265 70 r 17 in about 6 minutes to 35 psi from about 10.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was driving around with the $30.00 harbor frieght one. But I totally forgot about have it attached and drove off and it went bye bye. So I'm kinda in the market for one aswell. It did fit nicely under the driver rear passanger seat.

My last one, was part of an all-in-one, with the jump starter, inverter, and LED work light. Worked great for inflating tires (eventually :rolleyes:) sports stuff, bike and hand truck tires. But then the battery went bad, and couldn't do much of anything from that point. :frown:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio

027488603516.jpg

I personally have owned the Kobalt tire inflator for about 2 years now. It was appealing to have the 120v and 12v power source options since I use the tire inflator in the garage. Also, I liked the digital gauge that you can set to the desired psi and the compressor will shut off once the desired psi has been reached. My Kobalt seems to take about 1 minute for every psi added in a vehicle tire. Being able to set the psi and walk away to do other things was a nice feature being that it takes so long to add pressure to a tire, plus the price is not bad.

There is not a lot of options out there that have both the 120v and 12v power sources and even less options if you are looking for a digital gauge that you can set the psi. I think the only other inflator that I found that had a digital gauge that you can set, 12v, and 120v power sources was a Slime brand tire inflator. It did not have the best reviews though.

Bicycle tires and riding lawnmower tires take no time at all, usually less than 1 minute to inflate from being completely flat after sitting all winter.

That looks like a nice inflator. How do you like it? Does it inflate relatively quickly? Only 12v power source? Looked like a 120v power cord in the pic, but could not tell.

Wish I knew the CFM on the Kobalt inflator, but it is not listed anywhere I have searched online. The link you posted is 2.5 CFM which is much higher than any other 12v inflators that I have seen that actually had CFM listed.

Last edited:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There is not a lot of options out there that have both the 120v and 12v power sources and even less options if you are looking for a digital gauge that you can set the psi. I think the only other inflator that I found that had a digital gauge that you can set, 12v, and 120v power sources was a Slime brand tire inflator. It did not have the best reviews though.

That looks like a nice inflator. How do you like it? Does it inflate relatively quickly? Only 12v power source? Looked like a 120v power cord in the pic, but could not tell.
The Ryobi has a digital gauge and can be preset.

Mine will fill my tires in 2-3 minutes and I have 265 70R16. It is only 12 V but you have to connect it directly to the battery due to the volume it pumps.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I was looking into a 12v OBDII memory saver. Anyone here have one or use them? I need to replace the battery in my F150 and there is about a 10 step "relearn" process after installing a new battery for idle, fuel trim, shift points, etc that has to be done.

I understand that the memory saver is a good option for a battery replacement as it will keep power to the computers and other components, but what about the memory savers use in general when you have to replace an electrical component that requires you to disconnect the negative cable from the battery terminal? Say when replacing an ignition switch.

Here's one I was looking at, https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/216225/00065

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I was looking into a 12v OBDII memory saver. Anyone here have one or use them? I need to replace the battery in my F150 and there is about a 10 step "relearn" process after installing a new battery for idle, fuel trim, shift points, etc that has to be done.

I understand that the memory saver is a good option for a battery replacement as it will keep power to the computers and other components, but what about the memory savers use in general when you have to replace an electrical component that requires you to disconnect the negative cable from the battery terminal? Say when replacing an ignition switch.

Here's one I was looking at, https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/216225/00065
Being completely honest, I usually just hook up a spare battery with jumper cables... seems like the same principle as the cigarette lighter adapter thing though. I don't think it wouldn't work.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Same principle as far as providing power, but running 12v to the OBDII would supply power to only certain components, but when hooking up a spare battery with jumper cables, that would be the same as never disconnecting the battery and would have power to everything.

I was just wondering if it was worth the money and had other uses versus just when changing a battery every 4 years.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I don't know of other uses but I heard they are much better for the on-board computers and components

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Same principle as far as providing power, but running 12v to the OBDII would supply power to only certain components, but when hooking up a spare battery with jumper cables, that would be the same as never disconnecting the battery and would have power to everything.

I was just wondering if it was worth the money and had other uses versus just when changing a battery every 4 years.
I would imagine it's much safer then the jumper cables. Ground outs have almost happened due to careless people... does it send it's power over the data lines or the 12 volt pin?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Just a little show and tell here first of me and my brothers vinyl cutting set up. Second pic of our press to do tee's,pull overs and sweaters in the near future.

Attachments

• 20160214_212037.jpg
    20160214_212037.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160214_212533.jpg
    20160214_212533.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 13

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
20160404_193753.jpg

Well after years of wanting my own lab scope I finally have one! First order of business was to see if the cam or crank sensors are responsible for some recent hiccups the trailblazer has been going through. It started spitting outside so I had to call it a night early but whatever. It felt so good breaking the seal and undoing the twist ties on all of the never before used leads.

I had it narrowed down to this era modis (2007-ish maybe?) or one of the old, old school interro/insight/vision scopes and this one found me. This is from the day I got it, before cleaning it up.

20160401_130909.jpg

Some peeps I know didn't get that I only bought it for the scope. But that's all I needed so I didn't care what it came with as far as scan tool stuff. But it was actually hooked up a little, it came with 15.4, domestic asian and big trucks, and a whole buttload of obd1 connectors. These things can be had pretty cheap (under a grand) since they're supposedly hard to sell. Allegedly, it's got old windows OS and takes forever to boot up and no touch screen and isn't fast so it's outdated compared to something like a solus so not many people want them as a scan tool. I've used it before so I knew it's not snappy like the tech2 but it wasn't slow enough for me to care.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
20160411_193316.jpg

Had to get me a new DA polisher. My brother misplaced my porter cable and I wasn't going to drop a lot of cash just in case it turns up. Now I'm just awaiting the better weather to get my voy all detailed.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Was headed down to Harbor Freight to get a new set of ramps, stopped at NAPA first and saw these 9000 # rated beauties.
Little more $$ but, made in the USA and I won't have to reinforce them Like I would have with the HF ones....Mike.
100_3590.JPG

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Starting to get the itch to buy more tools again. The anticipation of healthier paychecks is doing nothing to curb that appetite either. As I posted earlier, I was looking at getting a tire inflator, but I really want a good compressor with some high CFM to run things like an air ratchet, possibly an impact gun.

Was talking to @saze a while back, and he got this Kobalt one, and likes it. After checking the numbers, it should be able to run most anything I would need, probably not for extended runs, which would be fine.

871613005603.jpg

I'm also starting to outgrow my Walmart special tool box, so wanting to upgrade pretty soon. Maybe use the small tool box to keep in the truck with some handy stuff in case i get stuck somewhere. After seeing the Rigid set @xavierny25 has, I am eyeballing the middle sized box, and pretty sure I'm gonna pull the trigger on it in the next couple of weeks. :yes:

72ebbaaf-56b4-493b-87b4-ab09641d5e64_1000.jpg

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Reactions: djthumper

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I got a small 5.5 gallon California Air compressor because it was cheap (on sale at Menards) and it is very quiet. For dusting stuff off, holding valves up, filling tires, or other small stuff I figured it would be fine.

Well, it is, and certainly better than what I had before (nothing!) and it did the job with the valves in the Camaro just fine, but with the BFGs on the truck I can't bring the PSI up by 5 pounds without it kicking on again lol. Oh well, it still does the job. If I had more money and space I may have gotten something bigger.

I need to get a larger set of jack stands as the ones I have are not tall enough to set the rear frame on and still have the tires off the ground, and are barely tall enough to hold the front wheels off the ground. My floor jack is barely enough to get the rear tires off the ground, but it is also almost too big to fit under the Camaro without fighting it under there, so I have to use this small jack to start with and then take over with the bigger jack. I see a pair of floor jacks and more jack stands in my future when the bank account recovers.

Reactions: Redbeard

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
This is the one that I am getting to replace my old one that just went out.

82e06ad5-5030-45aa-b197-a98a70a5d1e2_1000.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hmm, that 30G looks mighty nice too. Decisions decisions... those new paychecks can't come fast enough. Then to figure out where to put it. Garage a cramped enough as it is. :hopeless:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Place it in the back corner and then just use a longer hose when you need it. It is on wheels so you can always move it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This is the one that I am getting to replace my old one that just went out.

82e06ad5-5030-45aa-b197-a98a70a5d1e2_1000.jpg
That's a belt drive too right? I was looking into one of those for my dad as the real issue with ours is that the direct drive can't keep up with most air tools.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Looks like direct drive to me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have a 20 gal. 5hp direct drive myself that I have been using forever. Noisy as hell but can use all my air tools. Bought is at Costco years ago.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
20160729_224316.jpg

On Wednesday I finally paid this bill off. Yesterday, my super long ratcheting 14mm broke during a repair and one of the other guys let me use his, from this set:

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...degree-flex-ratcheting-extra-long-wrench-set/

Yikes. Let's see what the manufacturer sells it for:

http://www.gearwrench.com/wrenches/...ic-xl-flex-gearbox-ratcheting-wrench-set.html

Little less but still, no way. Maybe it's rebadged to another brand:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KMB6A1K/?tag=gmtnation-20

That's a little more like it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yikes is an understatement!! You definitely have to be required to wear your fancy pants when using those! :yes:

Reactions: MAY03LT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online