More PIDs for Torque App

In another thread there has been a handful of comments regarding Torque Pro and transmission parameters. Thought I would toss out a couple of things I wonder about here.

Torque Pro has their set of extended parameters that I have long surmised initially came from user submissions. What vehicles these users were testing on we will never know. So some PIDs work on our platform and some do not. For trans fluid temp there are 2 where the only difference is the header (one is for CANBUS vehicles).

Some appear to work but how reliable are they?

Take the PID for input shaft speed,... according to wiring diagrams my 2002 has no input shaft speed sensor so what is the source of this value??

Similarly there is the PID for TCC Slip... With no input shaft speed sensor how can this be determined and differentiated from some other component slippage??

Do you know what PCM your vehicle is using? I really don't know doodly squat about this PCM vs that PCM but if it were the same as one I have there is at least some expectation that PIDs just might be the same.

My Trailblazer has no tow/haul mode (don't know if any of them do?) but my Yukon does.

This discussion of Tow/Haul mode... I had to go back in this thread to even see what I had been doing as with many such things I get into it for a time then move on and forget about it! So I see that I never did come to any conclusions about this 1973 PIDs bit 0 validity.

@jawhnny what response were you seeing for the 1973 PID? Did you try the PID test button in the equation editor and see the complete response or were you only looking at a Torque Pro dashboard display?
2001 truck 5.3 4l60e pid 1973 works as a tow haul indicator. Fully tested.
However I understand it may not for others.
My Jimmy is using a P59 I believe
Mine never had a Tow/Haul button either but I did see it say it would use that shift table if commanded by the TCCM if it if shifted into 4lo.
I also saw I could enable a setting in TunerPro to enable it by a momentary ground to pin 71 on the PCM instead of just the TCCM data bus signal.

Works like a charm now, thank you!!
To me it seems it just switches to tell you its NOT in normal trans mode.
When I looked through TunerPro, it showed 4 tranny modes. Normal, performance/tow, manual and WOT modes. If any of these other modes are enabled, it seems to trigger this.

Works perfect to tell me if my Tow/Haul button works when I push it though.
There are 5 modes in the tables.
1 Normal
2 (tow haul trucks)/competition
3 hot mode triggered by pcm
4 another one I forget
5 unused mode

Hot mode is to cool overheated trans

jawhnny

Take the PID for input shaft speed,... according to wiring diagrams my 2002 has no input shaft speed sensor so what is the source of this value??

Similarly there is the PID for TCC Slip... With no input shaft speed sensor how can this be determined and differentiated from some other component slippage??
Maybe the PCM or defined Torque PIDs cheat by looking at other values?
Im assuming here but could it not just use the crankshaft speed or engine rpm, use that as a input speed of the trans, and compare it to the output speed even just using the vehicle speed sensor? Then tcc slip speed is just the difference?

I actually do use slip speed all the time to watch my PWM lockup and think its pretty accurate, 20-40 rpm difference when accelerating on highway in 3rd which is what I think it should be.

Maybe the PCM or defined Torque PIDs cheat by looking at other values?
Im assuming here but could it not just use the crankshaft speed or engine rpm, use that as a input speed of the trans, and compare it to the output speed even just using the vehicle speed sensor? Then tcc slip speed is just the difference?

I actually do use slip speed all the time to watch my PWM lockup and think its pretty accurate, 20-40 rpm difference when accelerating on highway in 3rd which is what I think it should be.
This is probably what they do. Doesn't help figuring out if you're trans is slipping. They may have parameters to indicate high slippage, who knows?

Dawezel1

Hello I'm having troubles with the PID'S.. Ive seen three different ones for gm oil psi and none of them work for me I have torque pro and engine /PCM is from a 2003 GMC 2500hd oil psi is only gauge I can't get any help would be great thanks

TollKeeper

Gold Supporter
I think @TJBaker57 is the man you want to talk to!

OP
TJBaker57

TJBaker57

Hello I'm having troubles with the PID'S.. Ive seen three different ones for gm oil psi and none of them work for me I have torque pro and engine /PCM is from a 2003 GMC 2500hd oil psi is only gauge I can't get any help would be great thanks

The thing to do here is look at your wiring diagram for the vehicle. That will show where the oil pressure sensor is wired to. If it goes to the cluster directly from the sensor then you will not have a PID for it as the ECM/PCM doesn't have the data.

YUKON87

Well there looks to be more to investigate there. That bit 0 of 1973 also sets high when in manual 2. So it doesn't look to be as simple as it first looked. Now if I want to go further with this bit 0 of 1973 I need to learn what unique things happen when the trans is shifted to 2nd manually!
I haven't read further down but I'm pretty sure my 03 Yukon does this when shifted into second to indicate on the cluster "traction control disabled".

I haven't read further down but I'm pretty sure my 03 Yukon does this when shifted into second to indicate on the cluster "traction control disabled".
To further this I have a TC button inside of my vehicle to di
sable traction control and enable a E- Locker giving me positrack. My rear differential also automatically locks up during a specified RPM range naturally to get me positrack. This may happen in a more complex manner as well depending on what mode you run in.

To further this I have a TC button inside of my vehicle to disable traction control and enable a E- Locker giving me positrack. My rear differential also automatically locks up during a specified RPM range naturally to get me positrack. This may happen in a more complex manner as well depending on what mode you run in. If my memory serves me well today it seems like I also remember there are subtle differences in the transmission as well, both physically and functionally, to include my 4 l60e.

The thing to do here is look at your wiring diagram for the vehicle. That will show where the oil pressure sensor is wired to. If it goes to the cluster directly from the sensor then you will not have a PID for it as the ECM/PCM doesn't have the data.
I believe his oil pressure guage will be a two wire. One running to Cluster and another running to PCM. Just like the fuel gauge in my 2005 4.2 L Envoy.

To remind everyone this both works with my Elm generic and my obdlink MX Plus. In testing a new PID, It's more efficient to run a header of "8CFEF8". This broadcast to all nodes when testing an individual PID for simplicity within torque app.

[Mod edit: Multiple successive posts merged. Please try to keep everything in one post.]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
TJBaker57

TJBaker57

I believe his oil pressure guage will be a two wire. One running to Cluster and another running to PCM. Just like the fuel gauge in my 2005 4.2 L Envoy.

The 5.3, 6.0, and 4.2 oil pressure switches and sensors on the GMT360 platform all wire solely to the PCM. No wires to the cluster from these oil pressure devices.

Screenshot_20210531-175951.png

OP
TJBaker57

TJBaker57

Lets bring this somewhat back on topic. Or close to it at least.

Lets say for some reason you would like to display the value given by the PCM to the cluster for the oil pressure. Even if in the case of the 4.2 it is not a true value.

There is no such PID on my 2002 4.2 with P10 PCM so how do I get that data?

The cluster gets the oil pressure value by means of a message broadcast by the PCM on the serial data line. The cluster does not request this data, it seems to be updated whenever there is a change in value and the cluster is programmed to listen for this and other similar messages.

I learned some time ago, (and may have posted about it already and forgot) how to make such a request. In the case of oil pressure it is setup in Torque Pro like this...

Screenshot_20210531-181801.pngScreenshot_20210531-181815.png

Hey TJ,
Have you ever done any diagnosis on tac modules and dbw stuff?
I have a situation where my pedal only gives me 34% when running.
Will give me 100% key on engine off.

Pid 22131E01 gives me desired 34%
Pid 2212B101 gives me actual throttle 34%

Are these accurate?

Suggestions on other data sources?

OP
TJBaker57

TJBaker57

Hey TJ,
Have you ever done any diagnosis on tac modules and dbw stuff?
I have a situation where my pedal only gives me 34% when running.
Will give me 100% key on engine off.

Pid 22131E01 gives me desired 34%
Pid 2212B101 gives me actual throttle 34%

Are these accurate?

Suggestions on other data sources?
Do you mean you are giving 100% accelerator pedal but the PCM/ECM is only commanding ~34% (desided and actual)??

At first guess I would think the PCM/ECM believes there is a problem somewhere and is limiting your power. Troubles like an accelerator pedal sensor issue or the like.

Yes. I don't know why it would do that without throwing a code.

Reduced engine power should throw a code.
I've never heard of it allowing it to rev to redline just very slowly.

It's perfectly snappy at lower rpms, it just starts to run out of steam after 3-4k

Mooseman

Is this in D or P/N? When not in a drive gear, the PCM limits the rev to ~4000.

Brado

I can also cycle the front axle disconnect, fuel pump, Evap vent and/or purge valves, and A/C relay.
Could likely uncover a few more as well. Other than the fan I think these are best reserved for diagnostic purposes, and the fan should likely not be keyed up at high RPM. I imagine the normal functions of the PCM prevent too much fan engagement at high RPM.
Hello,

I have searched (and read!) for several hours, but not found the EVAP vent valve command PID's. I have been through all seven pages of this fabulous thread, and I have learned a TON. I would like to tinker with a current EVAP problem we have (on a 2003 Chevy 6.0) using Torque. I would like to create a dashboard similar to the one you made in Post #156 for fan speed control, but for testing EVAP.

I envision it would be similar to the following, but would have the relevant EVAP commands added:
Torque_Evap_Dash.jpg

The above image came from here: https://www.facebook.com/GM3800Tips...5-on-some-cars-and-p0442-lar/595748833907616/

Can you please help with information/PID's for the following:

EVAP vent valve status
Command to open vent valve
Command to close vent valve
Command to change the purge valve % open
Command to *quickly* close the purge valve

I have already added the FTP PID, and can already see the fuel tank pressure with Torque.

Thanks in advance!

OP
TJBaker57

TJBaker57

Can you please help with information/PID's for the following:

EVAP vent valve status
Command to open vent valve
Command to close vent valve
Command to change the purge valve % open
Command to *quickly* close the purge valve

It is true that I have not posted commands for device control. And this would not be the place to do so in any event, being they are not the focal point of this thread, ie: PIDs.

As you noted, I have said that I can "cycle" such things as EVAP and others. However, the action is very temporary, taking effect for only 5 seconds before reverting to their natural operational state. In order for the commanded state to remain in force an additional "test tool present" message needs to be sent at no greater than 5 second intervals. This is what the high level scantools do. It is not so easily done with apps like Torque Pro and inexpensive obd2 adapters. I have attempted to this a few times without much success.

I will look over my notes to see if I have an EVAP Vent status pid that works on my 02 4.2 TrailBlazer and perhaps also for my 05 5.3 Yukon.

OP
TJBaker57

TJBaker57

EVAP vent valve status

Did not previously have this but did some quick testing at my bench setup and have confidence in the following brief summation...

Mode & Pid:22111001
Name:Evap_Vent
Header:6C10F1 (or maybe Auto)
Equation:Lookup(Bit(A:4)::1='Closed':0='Open')

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremycarpenter2013

Secure Browsing

Top Bottom