More PIDs for Torque App

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Here is another PID I also posted elsewhere some time ago.

A/C High Pressure. Apparently the PID that is included with the Torque Predefined Extended PID set for GM works for some but not others. My 2002 4.2 is one of the "others". As to where I actually got some of the following I cannot say as I do not remember. I wish I could give credit to the source whose PID and equation I modified but that memory is gone.

A/C High Pressure
PID = 221144 (append "01" for faster response)
Scale = x1
Units = PSIG (gauge pressure)
Equation = (A * 1.83) - 14.7
Header = Auto (cAsE sEnSiTiVe)

Maybe with enough users input we could narrow down what year it changed

I have just discovered what appears to be a duplicate of this PID at 11A4. From initial observations it seems to be the very same data, just located in another PID. Have not checked this out on my 2005 Yukon, just the 2002 4.2 Trailblazer.

Medicina2004

Aug 23, 2020
Argentina
Hi. I'm new here, I'm from Argentina. I would like to be able to monitor the regeneration of the dpf. It would also be great to add other pid.
Does anyone know the pid to add to the torque app to be able to monitor the regeneration of the particle filter of a trailblazer 2.8 2019?
Thank you
Alexander

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That might not be possible. Last TrailBlazer we've ever seen here is 2009. Nobody here has that truck to test.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Just now realizing there are PIDs I have on my device that were never posted here. I think it's because I perhaps never considered them fully proven?? Whatever... Here are 2 more bitmapped PIDs for the transmission. I'm not fluent in transmission workings and maybe that is one reason I haven't posted these but I think these are correct. Shift solenoid 1-2 and 2-3. I have read these used to be called shift sol A and shift sol B. Additional questions unresolved.... Do these PIDs just show that the solenoids have been commanded on or do they indicate the solenoids have in fact completed their task?? Either of these could be accomplished in the software. I have no idea. Here we go...

Name: ~Transmission 1-2 Sol
Mode&PID: 22195401
Equation: Lookup(Bit(A:0)::0='Off':1='On')
Header: 6C10F1

Name: ~Transmission 2-3 Sol
Mode&PID: 22195401
Equation: Lookup(Bit(A:1)::0='Off':1='On')
Header: 6C10F1

Now if I am understanding these things correctly using the combination of these bits I can create a PID equation that reads out the gear position that is the result of these two solenoids. I'll go ahead and do that. It might help to prove out these individual PIDs.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Now if I am understanding these things correctly using the combination of these bits I can create a PID equation that reads out the gear position that is the result of these two solenoids. I'll go ahead and do that. It might help to prove out these individual PIDs.

And here it is...

The equation:

Lookup(Bit(A:1)*2+Bit(A:0)::0='3rd':1='4th':2='2nd':3='1st')

PID is the same: 22195401
Header the same: 6C10F1

A note about that header... this header directly queries the PCM, node 0x10. Anyone know if the 5.3 uses a PCM that is both ECM and TCM together as the 4.2 does? Or does the 5.3 have a separate TCM, and if so what node address might that be?

Name can be whatever you fancy.

Screenshot_20200902-114905.pngScreenshot_20200902-114911.png

Just noticed an omission from my Torque Trans layout, I don't display the TFP switch. Will add that directly.

Reactions: gmcman

ssalvat

Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
Hopefully this thread is just taking a break and not abandoned :smile:

I'm trying to read ethanol % on a 2006 GMC Yukon XL. I have the p0172 and p0175 error codes, I'm hoping it's just the ethanol % needs to be reset, but I'd prefer to know for sure before taking it to a dealer to find out. The built in field in Torque doesn't show anything, so I've been trying to get a custom PID to work. I'm using the cheap BAFX OBD2 tool from Amazon. I tried the 220052 PID but didn't get anything back, although maybe my other fields weren't quite right. Has anyone had any luck getting this reading?

I just ordered the OBDLink MX+ in case it's just a failure with cheap hardware. If not, though, and anyone knows of a good working PID I'd greatly appreciate it.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Hopefully one of the full size guys can help you with that. That was one of the failings for the GMT360, and why a lot of ER (Emergency Response (Police, Fire, etc)), never got into the GMT360, as it was a federal law passed back sometime in the 2000's that a certain percentage of every government fleet needed to run on, or have the ability to run on, a alternative fuel source. That was one thing the GMT360 never got.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
@YUKON87 was looking for such things I think. Haven't heard from him in a while.

With the latest update of Torque my PIDs are a total mess! Lots of things not working and it may take me some time to straighten that out. The trouble seems to be in the headers. My Torque installation is scrambling the headers, mismatching them with the PIDs such that it is doing things like ask the HVAC module what the long term fuel trim is! (I see these requests as I monitor the bus traffic with a second elm) I've made some progress but it looks to be a long road ahead. Granted, my installations are far more complicated than the standard user as I have many 'PIDs' that are outside the intended format.

ssalvat

Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
I posted this on another thread, but since this one is pretty well known at this point I thought I'd share here too. I think I found the right PID to read ethanol % in my 2006 Yukon XL. Credit to aaronc7 over here: https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6575&p=101840&hilit=ethanol#p101840

Anyway, the values that worked for me were:

PID = 2212F3
Equation = A/2.55
Header = Auto or 6C10F1, both gave the same value
All other values leave default

I say think because I got a value of 62% when it should really be 10%, so I still want to double check it with a Tech2 level scan tool, but it's a believable value so I'm cautiously optimistic.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Still running ver.10.114 , sucks your layout has gone wacky. I won't try to force an update until they get this figured out.

Reactions: TJBaker57

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Hey guys, I see there is a lot of talk about pids. I added the gm extended pid set to my torque, but I still can't get wheel speed sensor data to show... Has that worked for anyone else?

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Hey guys, I see there is a lot of talk about pids. I added the gm extended pid set to my torque, but I still can't get wheel speed sensor data to show... Has that worked for anyone else?

Your profile lacks the year of your vehicle so I'm not sure how much of this applies.

I've never seen that work in my 02 4.2 LL8. And having just looked at the format of the request Torque is sending I now know why. The request I just saw from Torque is an invalid message.

On my 05 Yukon 5.3 LM7 I get a value of one half the actual speed and the data is only received sporadically, like maybe once or twice in 5 minutes time! I need to have a peek in there to see just where that data is coming from.

Now for some more details.... on my 02 Trailblazer the front wheel speed sensors are wired to the EBCM. The EBCM does not support service (mode) 22 parameter data requests by PID. So even if the PID #s Torque has are correct, Torque has no means of getting the data from the EBCM.

So how can a Tech 2 or other scanner be getting that data you ask! A different service (mode) is used by the Tech 2. Torque uses service 22, which makes a request for a single parameter and gets a single response. Over and over and over..... A lot of wasted time and bandwidth there. The "enable faster communications" feature in Torque can sometimes help but often the OBD adapter is not capable of that level of performance or the vehicle itself does not support that. So for faster data retrieval a scanner can use service 2A, "Request Diagnostic Data Packets". This service returns either a preconfigured packet or a packet dynamically defined by the use of other services like service 2C, "Dynamically Define Data Packet". The EBCM on my 02 TrailBlazer has predefined data packets. Packet 01 contains wheel speeds, one for each front and a single speed for the rear axle. These data packets return up to 6 bytes of data at a selectable data rate and instead of getting the data one response at a time the service can stream the data.

The Torque app is not designed for the use of these other services. Nor is any other app that I am aware of. I have fiddled with attempts to do so in Torque and have had some limited success but I cannot recommend it. It confuses the heck out of Torque and frequently locks up my OBD2 adapters.

Even if I did devise a means of retrieving the data from the EBCM that is not something I would post publicly. I believe the EBCM is built the way it is for a reason. Among the vehicles systems the brakes are what I would see as perhaps the single most mission critical system. "Tinkering" with that system is likely unwise at best. Not to say that I haven't done it,, but still not something I will get into here. Last year I discovered that codes from my Yukon EBCM cannot be cleared with the vehicle in motion. I had an intermittent issue with a wheel speed sensor that kept knocking out my cruise control while on a cross country trip. I must have pulled off on at least a half dozen exit ramps, stopped, cleared the code with a service 14 message then continued on till the next occurrence.

Now I don't know diddly squat about what happens on a CANBUS system but as far as I know on our platform when the CANBUS was brought onboard in 2008 it was only the ECM amd TCM?

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Your profile lacks the year of your vehicle so I'm not sure how much of this applies.

I've never seen that work in my 02 4.2 LL8. And having just looked at the format of the request Torque is sending I now know why. The request I just saw from Torque is an invalid message.

On my 05 Yukon 5.3 LM7 I get a value of one half the actual speed and the data is only received sporadically, like maybe once or twice in 5 minutes time! I need to have a peek in there to see just where that data is coming from.

Now for some more details.... on my 02 Trailblazer the front wheel speed sensors are wired to the EBCM. The EBCM does not support service (mode) 22 parameter data requests by PID. So even if the PID #s Torque has are correct, Torque has no means of getting the data from the EBCM.

So how can a Tech 2 or other scanner be getting that data you ask! A different service (mode) is used by the Tech 2. Torque uses service 22, which makes a request for a single parameter and gets a single response. Over and over and over..... A lot of wasted time and bandwidth there. The "enable faster communications" feature in Torque can sometimes help but often the OBD adapter is not capable of that level of performance or the vehicle itself does not support that. So for faster data retrieval a scanner can use service 2A, "Request Diagnostic Data Packets". This service returns either a preconfigured packet or a packet dynamically defined by the use of other services like service 2C, "Dynamically Define Data Packet". The EBCM on my 02 TrailBlazer has predefined data packets. Packet 01 contains wheel speeds, one for each front and a single speed for the rear axle. These data packets return up to 6 bytes of data at a selectable data rate and instead of getting the data one response at a time the service can stream the data.

The Torque app is not designed for the use of these other services. Nor is any other app that I am aware of. I have fiddled with attempts to do so in Torque and have had some limited success but I cannot recommend it. It confuses the heck out of Torque and frequently locks up my OBD2 adapters.

Even if I did devise a means of retrieving the data from the EBCM that is not something I would post publicly. I believe the EBCM is built the way it is for a reason. Among the vehicles systems the brakes are what I would see as perhaps the single most mission critical system. "Tinkering" with that system is likely unwise at best. Not to say that I haven't done it,, but still not something I will get into here. Last year I discovered that codes from my Yukon EBCM cannot be cleared with the vehicle in motion. I had an intermittent issue with a wheel speed sensor that kept knocking out my cruise control while on a cross country trip. I must have pulled off on at least a half dozen exit ramps, stopped, cleared the code with a service 14 message then continued on till the next occurrence.

Now I don't know diddly squat about what happens on a CANBUS system but as far as I know on our platform when the CANBUS was brought onboard in 2008 it was only the ECM amd TCM?
Mine is a 2008... Probably out of luck there

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
On my 05 Yukon 5.3 LM7 I get a value of one half the actual speed and the data is only received sporadically, like maybe once or twice in 5 minutes time! I need to have a peek in there to see just where that data is coming from

I had a look at the Yukon this afternoon in relation to this wheel speed thing.

Discovered that the value I am seeing from the Torque extended PIDs for GM ABS wheel speeds are bogus.

The data is coming from the PCM and is a normal class 2 broadcast of overall vehicle speed. Not in any way specific to individual wheel speeds. The PCM broadcasts this status report whenever there is a change in speed. The message is not a response to the Torque PID at all. Each one of those PIDs get updated by the same value. It's just random timing that determines which PID Torque is going to update.

Maybe these PIDs work in some other vehicle but the serial data in my case is conclusive.

YUKON87

Nov 15, 2019
Al
To answer your issue Those sensors typically will not read out until you go down the road and have those displayed.

YUKON87

Nov 15, 2019
Al
There are special pids that behave in a similar manner. Some of them seem to run on some timer before they will output data. On the ethanol frequency, you basically subtract 50 from whatever the output number is. So 61 would be 11% and 62 would be 12 percent.

Last edited:

YUKON87

Nov 15, 2019
Al
There are special pids that behave in a similar manner. Some of them seem to run on some timer before they will output data on the ethanol frequency. You basically subtract 50 from whatever the output number is so 61 would be 11% and 62 would be 12 percent.
edit: there are three pids for ethanol one is fuel temperature the other is fuel composition frequency and the other is a direct output to the actual percentage with the proper equation. On my 03 Yukon slt flex, I get fuel temperature. There is a very narrow year range that you can read out Fuel Temperature. It is from the B byte in some cases. I use "A" Byte. Below is a custom equation I created that may or may not be accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201031-202753_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20201031-202753_Torque.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

YUKON87

Nov 15, 2019
Al
I had a look at the Yukon this afternoon in relation to this wheel speed thing.

Discovered that the value I am seeing from the Torque extended PIDs for GM ABS wheel speeds are bogus.

The data is coming from the PCM and is a normal class 2 broadcast of overall vehicle speed. Not in any way specific to individual wheel speeds. The PCM broadcasts this status report whenever there is a change in speed. The message is not a response to the Torque PID at all. Each one of those PIDs get updated by the same value. It's just random timing that determines which PID Torque is going to update.

Maybe these PIDs work in some other vehicle but the serial data in my case is conclusive.
Have you tried running custom headers? You have wheel speed sensors per wheel built into the wheel hub bearing assembly. The EBCM has to have these values to operate properly. Have you tried reading Bytes A-F? Edit: sorry didn't have time to read fully your previous post.

Last edited:

YUKON87

Nov 15, 2019
Al
It's an 08
May still work but you have CAN protocol. Pids will probably be different. Alternatively you can use those same pids and try changing header to auto or leave header blank. Edit: omit the "h"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201031-215615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201031-215615_Samsung Internet.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

YUKON87

Nov 15, 2019
Al
Had them displayed... No response at all while moving.
Try this header 8CFEF8. You'll see a list of responses look for the last 1 to 2 bytes on the very end. Any change will show you a response to the PID running that header. That header broadcast to all modules on a VPW Bus in your vehicle.

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Hey, guys I've been reading through this whole thread. So much good info, I'm wondering if anyone has found a pid method to display the performance trans mode switch, or sometimes called tow/haul mode.

It should be a simple on/0ff depending on how it's selected in the tuning software.

I would love to have it displayed in torque while ripping in my 5.3 powered VW fox

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Hey, guys I've been reading through this whole thread. So much good info, I'm wondering if anyone has found a pid method to display the performance trans mode switch, or sometimes called tow/haul mode.

It should be a simple on/0ff depending on how it's selected in the tuning software.

I would love to have it displayed in torque while ripping in my 5.3 powered VW fox
I cannot remember if I located that in my 2005 LM7 Yukon. I'll take a look later

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado

Had another look at my 2005 Yukon 5.3 LM7. I ~think~ it has a P59 PCM??
Anyway, I looked at my Torque page of transmission test PIDs and can see a possibility at bit 0 of PID 1973 (seen bottom left of pictures). That bit flips with the tow/haul switch. It needs more testing to be sure but at first glance it seems to at least be a possible source. I only checked it while stationary. I'll check it out while in motion over the next week or so. Maybe I'll discover what bits 1 and 2 are. Those are seen set high in the screenshots also.

Screenshot_20201125-122843.pngScreenshot_20201125-122910.png

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
That sounds promising, I don't have a tow haul button, I was planning to add a momentary switch and see if it does anything to my shifts. Then I could check some of those PIDs for action.

Btw I did add the Yukon transmission selection and express van fuel level PIDs to my 2001 lm7 and they work perfectly. Appreciate all the effort you guys are putting in to make this information available.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
looked at my Torque page of transmission test PIDs and can see a possibility at bit 0 of PID 1973

Well there looks to be more to investigate there. That bit 0 of 1973 also sets high when in manual 2. So it doesn't look to be as simple as it first looked. Now if I want to go further with this bit 0 of 1973 I need to learn what unique things happen when the trans is shifted to 2nd manually!

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I noticed similar behavior, it did go to 1 when I was manually shifting around.
It does get set to 1 when I ground the tow/haul pin on the pcm, and reverts to 0 if I ground the tow pin again.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I noticed similar behavior, it did go to 1 when I was manually shifting around.
It does get set to 1 when I ground the tow/haul pin on the pcm, and reverts to 0 if I ground the tow pin again.

Do you notice a change in shift points when you ground that tow/haul pin?

I discovered some more curious behaviour. Yesterday I had a look with the Tech 2. Observing the state of the "Tow/Haul Mode" with the Tech 2 it is seen that when the shifter is pulled manually to either 1st or 2nd gear position the Tech 2 reports the Tow/Haul Mode "inactive" but the instrument panel cluster continues to display Tow/Haul active.

I would expect that if someone has manually shifted to "2" or "1" they likely aren't interested in whether Tow/Haul is active or not but nonetheless I find the difference in the scantool and display reports curious.

So this leaves me wondering if the Tech 2 determines Tow/Haul state through some other as yet unknown bit/PID and this 1973 bit 0 is either a sub-component of that or something else entirely.

Also I wonder just what does Tow/Haul do? Is it solely a change in shift points? Is there some alteration in the management of line pressures or other operating parameters?

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I haven't tested it yet. Hopefully this week I'll log some data.

The internet told me Tow/haul is called performance mode in tuner studio. If we had a Corvette, there would be a switch for competition mode ... Which switches to the performance mode maps in the pcm, like tow mode.

Looking in tuner studio I see tables for each mode, normal, performance, hot mode, cruise mode, unknown mode.

Every transmission parameter has a set of tables for normal mode and performance mode. Some of the parameters have the 2 sets of tables, some have up to 5 sets.

Shift pressure ->normal, performance
Torque signal vs shift
output: line pressure

Upshift torque reduction -> normal,performance
Torque signal vs shift
output: torque reduction Percentage

other parameters include tcc release speeds, tcc apply speeds, wot shift rpm, shift time etc

if you look at the screenshot, you see all the parameters to the left. I opened a few tables so you can see what they look like

shiftmodes.jpg

Reactions: TJBaker57
Nov 25, 2020
Canada
That makes sense, on the corvettes the switch is linked directly to the ecm. In the tuning software there is a flag to change it to the corvette method.
I am not running a bcm or gauge cluster.

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Ok I logged a freewheel pull in both normal and performance mode.

It's not easy to read but in normal mode it basically shifts really early and goes almost directly to od.

In performance mode I didn't go fast enough to get it into od.

Screenshot_20201201-143216.pngScreenshot_20201201-143158.png
Light green is gear
Orange is input speed
Dark blue is output speed
Purple is speed.
Dark green at the bottom is tcc slip
The black line shows when I engaged performance mode... First half normal, second half performance mode

so we can see them
Speed is x10
Gear is x1000
Mode is x1000

So I would say you nailed the pid for trans mode! For a 2001 lm7 with switch activated in tuner studio.

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Hmm. I wonder if that is an aspect of cruise control? I know one of the maps in the tuning software is called cruise.
What if bit 0 goes 1 for tow, and bit 0and bit1 go 1 for cruise. There are five modes
00 normal
01 tow
11 cruise
10 hot
Unknown mode?

I'm just spitballing? It's been a long time since I learned about binary and hex.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online