More PIDs for Torque App

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
A short time ago I posted a new pid I discovered for the Fan Speed of a 4.2 in a 2002 Trailblazer. It was properly suggested by MRRSM that I repost that information here so here I am. It is possible that this is my first original post!

I have been spending a great deal of time fiddling with these PIDs of late and have additional informations that I will post on this thread.

So as posted elsewhere the PID for Fan Speed to enter into Torque extended PIDs is 22162B (I confirmed only on a 2002 4.2). 22 being the mode or service and 162B the actual PID. Header should be set to "Auto" (cAsE sEnSiTiVe) and the equation is "A * 16". Spaces here don't matter. Units are RPM and Scale is x1.

Since that other post I have discovered that if one adds an "01" the the end of these extended PIDs the Torque app will receive the data quicker from the PCM as Torque won't need to cycle through formats seeking an answer from the PCM. I snooped the Class 2 bus while using Torque and found that with the "header" left blank many extended pids fail. When set to "Auto" (CasE sEnSiTiVe) Torque first sends the PID as entered in the extended PID definition and with many of the PIDs the PCM essentially rejects the request. Torque sends the same request again and is again rejected. Then Torque adds the "01" to the end of the PID, as in this case would be 22162B01, and bingo, the PCM answers with the data requested on the first request, speeding up the original startup at least. At first look I believe once Torque gets the answer it was seeking it remembers the format for the duration of that session but not further. You can see this using the test button in Torque while connected to your vehicle. Without the "01" appended there is a noticeable delay in the initial response time.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Next PID up I cannot definitively confirm but maybe someone here can.

Desired Fan Speed. I have good reason to believe this PID to be 22163F. Torque extended PID setup for this being the same as the PID posted for Fan Speed which is Units=RPM, Scale=x1, Header=Auto, and Equation=A*16. Once again I will suggest adding "01" to the PID making this 22163F01 to speed up the response time.

I cannot confirm this PID as I recently discovered my own fan clutch is broken!! Likely has been for the 8 years I have owned it. No wonder my A/C blows so cold, constant fan keeping that condenser doing it's thing!

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Here is another PID I also posted elsewhere some time ago.

A/C High Pressure. Apparently the PID that is included with the Torque Predefined Extended PID set for GM works for some but not others. My 2002 4.2 is one of the "others". As to where I actually got some of the following I cannot say as I do not remember. I wish I could give credit to the source whose PID and equation I modified but that memory is gone.

A/C High Pressure
PID = 221144 (append "01" for faster response)
Scale = x1
Units = PSIG (gauge pressure)
Equation = (A * 1.83) - 14.7
Header = Auto (cAsE sEnSiTiVe)

Maybe with enough users input we could narrow down what year it changedm

Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I used the fan speed PID from the first post in my 05 EXT with the 4.2L and it works nicely. Thanks for sharing!

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Any other 2002 4.2s out there?

Oil Temperature. That's right, only for the 2002 model year. Recently saw a dealer bulletin online that indicated there were some early 2003 units that had various parts of the hardwares but not the programming.

Now I will preface this that I have altered the equation based on just a few observations of dead cold temperatures. I will note the alterations.

Engine Oil Temperature
PID = 221154 (append "01" for faster response in Torque
Scale = x1
Units = °C
Equation = A - 34 (changed from A - 40)
Header = Auto (Case Sensitive)

With the standard equation of A-40 I was seeing dead cold temps of 42.8F when my transmission and coolant and air temps were like 58F to 60F. The PCM reports the temperature as a hex value in Celsius with an offset. I believe the offset is there so they don't have to deal with the possibilities of a "negative hex value??" I often see the A-40 equation in Torque extended PIDs and Torque takes care of the conversion to Fahrenheit where desired. I have no knowledge of the original source of this -40 degree offset information so I cannot speak to its accuracy but the adjustment I made sets me up good at cold temps and I will watch it for a while when hot to judge the accuracy there.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Torque App Users would probably LOVE it if @TJBaker57 's Unique PID Thread gets "Stickied" :>)

Reactions: gmcman and Mooseman

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Any other 2002 4.2s out there?
Mine's an 02. I just did the fan speed PID but I'm going to leave the Oil temp for the moment.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Any use for "Engine Run Time"?

PID = 2211A1 (append "01" for faster response in Torque)
Scale = x1
Units = Minutes (Dec)
Equation= ((A<8) + B)/60

A clever fellow might be able to come up with an equation for minutes and seconds. I'm not going there!

The PCM returns 2 bytes with this PID. The values returned represent run time in seconds. Torque converts the 2 bytes hex into 2 decimal values and presents them as "A" and "B". The equation tallies up the total and divides by 60 to yield minutes. I had first seen this type of equation in the GM extended PID for Injector Pulse Width.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Bit Mapping and Lookups!!!

Sometimes the single byte result of a PID is actually a combination of up to 8 different parameters. We have a bunch of stuff that isn't a floating value but rather a simple "On or Off", "Yes or No", "Good or Bad", or whatever words you would use. I've come across a few of these PIDs and have identified a handful of possible items and a couple that I am fairly certain of. The hex byte returned by the PCM when converted to a binary display would look something like this: 10011010, which is a binary representation of hex 9A. Each of those 1s and 0s could represent a switch or command such as power to a relay.

Again, I will say I have only my 2002 4.2 to test with. To use these PIDs I split out the particular bit of information I need from the hex byte that the PCM returns and I get either a "0" or a "1". Then I use a function that will substitute a word for each of the possible values, 1 or 0 to make the display more user friendly.

So here I am, having identified to my satisfaction my Oil Pressure Switch.

PID =221102 (I append 01 to the end of this for faster Torque response)
Scale x1
Units =
Equation = lookup(bit(A:2)::1='LOW':0='OK')

Many of these values I'm chasing are of little use for a display item of regular use but could be of significant value in troubleshooting is my belief.

Screenshot_20190816-130828.pngScreenshot_20190816-130800.pngScreenshot_20190816-130652.png

Reactions: Mooseman

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
This might be useful for troubleshooting a no crank situation??

This one is another Bit Mapped PID from which I pull out one bit for "Park/Neutral".

Park/Neutral
PID =221131 (append 01 for faster response in Torque)
Scale = x1
Units =
Equation = LOOKUP(BIT(A:2): : 1='P/N': 0='IN GEAR')
Header = Auto

Of course you can substitute your preferred text where I have used "P/N" and "In Gear". I have noticed though that spaces are stripped for the display so that may be a limitation. Perhaps a display "short name" value of "P/N" and then use "Yes" and "No" in the equation. Also note that single quotes are required in the equation.

Another thing I noticed is that editing a short name in the extended PID management screen does NOT change the display of a gauge already in place in a display page. The gauge needs to be deleted and replaced for the change to take effect.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Cool stuff. Thank you for your hard work.

The oil switch would also be useful for checking the operation of it since it is a regular failure part. The P/N would definitely be good for troubleshooting. The fan PIDs would also be useful for troubleshooting a failing clutch by comparing desired RPM vs. actual. The PCM should throw a code when it's not working but usually doesn't.

Reactions: mrrsm

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So I have been working on PIDs for Accelerator Position and Throttle Position lately. You may have seen the photo in post #13 above. I am fairly certain I have the positional PIDs correct at least for my 2002 4.2. Once again I have no idea if these will be valid for later model years. It would be nice if they worked for many model years but I doubt that they will.

Additionally the 2 PIDs I have deduced are for 5 volt reference signals present an issue for me as far as determining the proper equation. The values reported by my PCM of course don't change. Without at least 2 or more samples I have no way of establishing an equation. I only know that my reference signals both report a voltage of 5.03 and the decimal value of the PIDs report is 233. I threw in my guess for an equation. It satisfies my value for display but I have no idea if the equation is in any way close to correct.

13 PIDs in one post would be rather long so I have attached a .csv file (with .txt appended to allow the upload). Experienced Torque users may already know what to do with this but for recap....download the file, remove the .txt extension, copy or move the file to the extendedpids subdirectory of the hidden Torque directory in android. (Hidden directories in android have a period as the first character displayed) Now the PID set should be available for import into the Torque App in the same manner as the [GM] predefined set we have already imported.

For testing purposes I create a new Vehicle Profile in Torque so as to not run the risk of fouling up my daily driver profiles and dashboards. I also have my various dashboards saved to preserve those layouts since it is so tedious to create Torque dashboards. With that in mind I will attach a Torque dashboard (again with appended .txt extension) which includes these PIDs from the .csv. With varying sized screens and resolutions it is highly unlikely the display would work well on other devices but if lucky all the gauges will at least show up and can be dragged around to suit without having to add all those gauges manually.

Another option for troubleshooting is to load the PIDs but not create gauges for them. Instead, just go through the "add display" process up to the point of selecting the PID for display. At this point one can scroll through the PIDs and see the current values right there.
Screenshot_20190820-135240.png

Attachments

• GMTNation_Throttle_Accel_PIDs.csv.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 181
  • GMTN_Throttle_Accel.dash.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 150

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The PCM should throw a code when it's not working but usually doesn't

Indeed, I have owned my TrailBlazer since the end of 2010 and have put about 125000 miles on it. It is likely that fan clutch of mine has never worked in all that time and no codes for that from my PCM. So much wasted fuel!

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Another PID, Calculated Air Flow in g/sec

Air Flow Calculated
PID = 2211AC (append 01 for faster response)
Scale = x1
Units = g/sec
Equation = ((A<8) + B) / 128
Header = Auto

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Some transmission PIDs perhaps?

Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch (TFP A/B/C)
Transmission Range Switch (Tr Sw A/B/C/P)
And another that outwardly looks the same but I suspect might be for the instrument cluster display?

The TFP data only changes when the engine is running so the first picture doesn't agree as I had not started the engine yet. While I switched through the range I could see the Tr switch leading the lower gauge in the picture leading me to think that one is for the cluster display. The two gauges to the right are the raw display of the PIDs involved.

Will follow up tomorrow with the details, getting late tonight..20190821_204536.png20190821_204606.png

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@TJBaker57 , excellent work! :2thumbsup:

If possible, one that could be very useful to I6 engine owners is the desired and actual exhaust cam angles. It would help diagnosing issues with the VVT system.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
TFP Switch A/B/C. (Post #17, top left gauge) A couple of days ago I had little idea of what this was. Transmission Fluid Pressure manual valve position switch. Do what now??

I googled the term and came up with a diagram and an understanding of the switch and its output and in working these data streams I managed to match the switch output to PID 1951, bits 5, 6, and 7, in the order A, B, and C. (Thank goodness for spreadsheets) For a display I match the decimal equivalent of these 3 bits and substitute text indicating the positions as we would see them such as Park/Neutral, Drive, Reverse and so on.
This switch cannot distinguish between Park or Neutral as the valve body pressures are the same in these 2 positions. (Or so I've read)
Could this be useful somehow? I have no idea, but I found it and it works to display the switch position, if not the individual channels of A, B, or C. This switch will not indicate changes in transmission selection without the presence of fluid pressure so if one shifts through the selections with the engine off no change is seen of course.

Name = Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch A/B/C
PID = 221951(append 01 for faster response in Torque)
Scale = x1
Units =Bit Mapped
Equation = Lookup(A>5::5='P/N':4='Reverse':1='Drive':3='3rd':7='2nd':6='1st')
Header = Auto

Previously I have posted a PID for Park/Neutral as 221131, bit 2. That PID/bit does indeed indicate Park/Neutral as a value of 1 and all else as 0. That PID 221131 also contains things like crank request, starter relay command and a couple of other items I have yet to even hazard a guess. I have to remind myself that we are not in fact seeing the actual switch data. The PCM is seeing that information and outputting these PIDs that we then call up. I can only make logical guesses at where the PCM is getting its information based on testing and watching the data streams. I see that P/N as displayed by PID 221131 bit 2 changes without the engine running so it is not a derivative of the TFP switch. So where does it come from?

Transmission Range Switch A/B/C/P ?? (Post #17, center left gauge) Again I say "Do what now?" More tests, more googling, more noodling around and I find this switch is also represented in PID 1951 as bits 0,1,2, and 3. It has 4 switch outputs and through combinations represent all positions including separate park and neutral indications. I believe this to be a switch on the drivers side of the transmission. Since this has separate park and neutral indications it doesn't look like a candidate for the source of the 221131 bit 2 P/N indicator. I may never know what is that source so I will move on knowing only that it does appear to indicate P/N, if not an actual switch position. To further muddy the waters there is also a previously unmentioned PID 221920 (seen in post #17, bottom left gauge) that also displays a Transmission Selection with a single bit (#1 thru 7) each representing one of 7 positions, P,R,N,D,3,2,1. Confused yet?? I can tell you I am! I am currently wondering if this PID 221920 is for use by the Instrument Cluster for the display there.

Back to that Transmission Range Switch A/B/C/P.
PID = 221951( yes, this is the same PID# used above but we will be using different bits from it. And again I say "append 01 for faster response in Torque)
Scale = x1
Units = Bit Mapped
Equation = Lookup(A-(A>5)*32::6='Park':3='Reverse':10='Neutral':9='Drive':0='3rd':5='2nd':12='1st')
Header = Auto

And just for completions sake here is what I am currently using for PID 221920. I did not alter the value of A here and there exists a possibility that this will be erroneous if ever a value appears in bit #0. I have a solution for that if it comes up.

Name = Trans Select
PID = 22192001 (I have already appended the 01)
Scale = x1
Units = Bit Mapped
Equation = LOOKUP(A: :128='Park':64='Reverse':32='Nuetral':16='Drive':8='3rd':4='2nd':2='1st')
Header = Auto

Whew!!

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Attached are PIDs for the Gauges shown in post #21 in a .csv format for import into the Torque App.

Thanks @Mooseman for pointing me in that direction!!

I'll add the normal disclaimer...I can only test these on my 2002 4.2 and I am fairly certain I have the equations as close as I can get them.

Attachments

• GMTN_Cam_Phase.csv.txt
    698 bytes · Views: 177

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fabulous!

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
A few more,,,

Name = Gen F Terminal Signal
PID = 22114D (append 01 = faster response in Torque App)
Scale = x1
Units = Percent
Equation = A/256*100
Header = Auto

So I came across this next one and after several hours trying to work out the equation I caved and asked the girlfriend to bail me out with the math! I had a mental block!
We already have a standard OBD2 pid for this but while working on unknown pids the more I can definitely identify the easier it will be for the remaining ones, or at least I hope it will. This one also worked in my 05 Yukon w/LM7.

Name = Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor
PID = 221142 (append 01 = faster response in Torque app)
Scale = x1
Units = PSI
Equation = A/256*5*2.74+1.5
Header = Auto

Name = Ignition 1 Signal
PID = 221141 (append 01 if you like)
Scale = x1
Units = Volts
Equation = A/10
Header = Auto

So here are 2 more related to the Camshaft Phasing. CMP Resynch Counter and Medium Resolution Resynch. The thing is...I don't know which one is which as my engine doesn't throw these fault counts!! Both of mine stay on zero. I'll keep mine up in a display and in my log files and watch for something to happen there. So anyway, here are the two PIDs

PID = 22115F
PID = 221160

Scale = x1
Units = Count
Equation = A
Header = Auto

Another PID where there is an OBD standard pid (I think) but here I found another extended one?

Name = Air Fuel Ratio
PID = 22119E (append 01 = faster in Torque)
Scale = x1
Units = Ratio :1
Equation = A/10
Header = Auto

Dinner time....

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Ever have your Cruise Control just disengage for no apparent reason?

On the left is the raw display of the PID, on the right is the LOOKUP I employ.

Screenshot_20190829-192215.png

The PCM remembers the previous 8 reasons for cruise disengagement. I still have some testing to do but this is what I have right now.

Name(s) and PIDs

Cruise Disengage 1 History PID = 221315
Cruise Disengage 2 History PID = 221316
Cruise Disengage 3 History PID = 221317
Cruise Disengage 4 History PID = 221318
Cruise Disengage 5 History PID = 221319
Cruise Disengage 6 History PID = 22131A
Cruise Disengage 7 History PID = 22131B
Cruise Disengage 8 History PID = 22131C

Scale = x1
Units =
Equation = Lookup(A::0='Brake':4='Coast+Disengage':13='OFF')
Header = Auto

Reactions: buraan and Mooseman

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I also have PIDs for the Cruise Control Switches and so forth. Should be easier than chasing wiring down in the event of troubles.

I will attach a .csv file (with .txt appended to facilitate the upload) for import to Torque App.

Attachments

• GMTN_PIDs_Cruise.csv.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 128

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
A note regarding my previous posts about appending "01" to the PIDs.

I had occasion recently to try out some of these PIDs on a 2018 Chevrolet Express Cargo 6.0 liter. I discovered that with the added "01" the PIDs failed. When I removed the "01" they succeeded. I further noticed in the PID test screen the header returned was one of those 7E-somethings. All my tests have been on older vehicles (2005-) where the alternate header or protocol or whatever is apparently absent. I suspect that the "01" is unexpected with this newer header/protocol/whatever and thus the failure. Leave the PID as expected and Torque tries the 7E-whatever in due course and that works for the newer vehicle(s).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The cruise control history can be useful as some conditions will disable or disengage cruise. Some codes, hard and pending, will disable it. I sometimes get disengagement when I hit a hard bump, which I have a feeling it's the brake switch engaging. Supposedly a burnt brake light will disable it.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The wiring schematics reveal the "brake switch" to be actually 3 independent sets of contacts. 2 are normally closed, one serving the shift interlock and the other serving the cruise control and the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch?) Releases. The brake lights, or "Stop Lamp" is the 3rd set which are normally open contacts. I didn't see any interconnections between the Stop Lamp and the cruise control system (beyond the PCM) but being housed in the same switch body it stands to reason both would be affected by an aging or dirty switch.

I would be curious to see if at times when the cruise disengages due to hard bumps does the Torque Converter Lockup also release? I am a big fan of hooking up instrumentation and wiggling the snot out of wiring connections and such when dealing with intermitents. These PIDs should make that operation a lot easier albeit there will be a delayed response with the PCM involved as opposed to a multimeter directly attached to the circuit in question. On the other hand the PIDs will verify the PCM is seeing what one is testing

I have identified 3 disengagement conditions thus far. I suspect there may be more.

Eventually I will post a .csv of all the additional Pids I have identified. Currently I am trying to tighten up some equations for things like Knock Sensors 1 and 2 (torque has just #1), Knock Retard, HO2S 1 and 2 (torque has just one and I have doubts of its' correctness beyond the obvious misspelling).

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I realize that After-Market Components and wiring might skew the results...but what about PIDs for Checking the Health of Keyless Entry Systems and for the observing the actions-responses involving the Door Locks and Lift Gate Module for the Hatchback and Window Release...? (If such things exist)

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Well I didn't know Torque already had built in PIDs for the Cruise Control disengagement. Happened to see them last night while noodling around in Torque, testing more PIDs. A few things I have worked out, only to discover others had them figured out many years ago and they are buried in old forum discussions in places like PCMHacking.net. But they never made it to us Torque users.

Barometer
PID = 22119D
Min = 1.5
Max = 15.2
Scale = x1
Units = PSI
Equation = A/255*5*2.74+1.5
Header = Auto

Next one, fuel level, doesn't read 100% when I fill my tank but that is the same reading given by Tech 2. One could adjust my Equation for that by reducing the divisor, 255 an appropriate amount I suppose.

Fuel Level
PID = 221155
Min = 0
Max = 100
Scale = x1
Units = Percent
Equation = A/255*100
Header = Auto

I think I have the next one right....

TWC Temperature Calculated
PID = 2211A3
Min = 0
Max = 2550
Scale = x1
Units = °F
Equation = A*10
Header = Auto

A pair that I also believe I have correct. Still working on the Knock Retard Equation though.

Knock Sensor 1
PID = 2212F6
Min = 0
Max = 5
Scale = x1
Units = Volts
Equation = A/51
Header = Auto

Knock Sensor 2
PID = 22147A
Min = 0
Max = 5
Scale = x1
Units = Volts
Equation = A/51
Header = Auto

And one more educated guess also seen buried at pcmhaking.net after ferreting it out ...

Fuel Trim Cell
PID = 221190
Scale = x1
Units =
Equation = A
Header = Auto

There's a related value of "Fuel Trim Index" seen. I will admit I don't even know what that value is. Will need to get some driving samples from Tech 2 to see if I can pin down the PID.

Reactions: buraan and Mooseman

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
what about PIDs for Checking the Health of Keyless Entry Systems and for the observing the actions-responses involving the Door Locks and Lift Gate Module for the Hatchback and Window Release...? (If such things exist)

I have a few PIDs set aside for some of those things like the Vehicle Theft Deterrent systems (VTD). Unsure about modules where the bluetooth scanner won't yet be connected to the PCM since the key is off and much of the system is asleep. But first I would need to educate myself on how all that works!! In due time my good man. In due time.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So I thought I would go after something that I had figured would be an easy one. And it would have been had I taken it for granted that the returned value was in fact the correct one. Alas, I did not. Startup ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature). I imagined I would simply be finding an ECT reading at startup that was stored as is in another PID. Not so fast, not so fast. Had a candidate PID in mind and went out this AM to have a look at the readings. Expected to find the same values for ECT and Startup ECT while the engine was cold. Nope! Not the same. Hhrrrmm?? After literally hours of observations and calculations, permutations and combinations I came up with an equation based on the ECT (at startup) that yields a value that closely matches (so far) the value seen in my Startup ECT PID. It would appear that the PCM alters the ECT temp at startup to derive a "Startup ECT, the purpose of which I have not a clue. And there may be other factors in play as well but this is what I have observed this morning.

The value returned by this PID when lower than 113 degrees Fahrenheit is raised from the actual temperature. The value is lowered when above 113 degrees Fahrenheit.

Examples: startup at 203 degrees F And startup ECT is 180 F. Startup at 113 F and you get 113 F. Startup at 37.4 F and you get 57 F as Startup ECT. Why? Hell if I know!

So after all my figuring it turns out the value given by the PID needs no equation. Only if one wanted to calculate a startup ect would you then use "4/3*[05]+53" (where [05] is the internal torque pid for engine coolant temp) Why would anyone do this? Again, not a clue. For now I have a gauge that yields the difference between my equation and the PID value. Only good for comparison before startup of course.

Here is the actual Startup ECT from the PCM:

Name = Startup ECT
PID = 22160D
Scale = x1
Units = °F
Equation = A
Header = Auto

Screenshot_20190901-141908.png

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Anyone know circumstances where one O2 sensor heater would be on and the other off? Tech 2 displays two distinct HO2S commands.

I have identified 2 bits, #1 & #2 in PID 1112 that toggle with the O2 heater commands but I don't know which is which. Not sure it even matters generally. So this equation will admittedly be a little 'different'. I cannot tell which heater is which so I will configure my equation to tell if both heaters are commanded off, or both commanded on, or if any single heater is commanded on.

HO2S Heaters #1&#2
PID = 221112
Scale = x1
Units =
Equation = Lookup(Bit(A:1)+Bit(A:2)::0='O2Htrs_OFF':1='O2Htr_ON':2='O2Htrs_ON')
Header = Auto

Additionally I have candidate "Power Enrichment" and "Loop Status" bits.

Name = Power Enrichment
PID = 221120
Scale = x1
Units =
Equation = Lookup(Bit(A:7)::0='Inactive':1='Active')
Header = Auto

Name = Loop Status
PID = 221120
Scale = x1
Units =
Equation = Lookup(Bit(A:0)::0='Open':1='Closed')
Header = Auto

Here is a screenshot just after engine shutdown...

Screenshot_20190903-100515.png

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
AFAIK, the heaters are for getting the sensors up to light off temp (and closed loop) more quickly instead of just waiting for the exhaust heat to do it. Should just be on at startup but I may be wrong on this one.

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
@Mooseman That's what I have believed. I generally go to closed loop within 30 seconds or so from startup. My log files from yesterday showed the heaters still on while my TWC temps were about 1500 degrees! An earlier log shows heaters on during a 15 minute drive back from the store where the vehicle was already warm from the drive to the store. Also noticed that at startup on the drive back only one of the two heaters was on at first.

All this is based on the notion that I have in fact the correct PID. I do believe I have the right PID as I analyzed data from a test run where I capture the class 2 bus traffic as well as simultaneously recorded video of a tech 2 displaying the parameters then loaded up the datastream into spreadsheet where I can pinpoint the moment in time where the various events like power enrichment and O2 sensor heaters flip on or off. Yada yada yada....

I'll grab more data....

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@TJBaker57 ... You've probably already realized and considered the potential value of your "Extended PIDs for The Torque APP" over a wide range of GM Platforms and Vehicles... but JIK it has not yet occurred to you...Please think about THIS possibility:

Amazon provides a "Book Selling" Feature for Original Authors anxious to publish their works as Kindle, PDFs and Novels-Manuscripts ...without all of the worrisome interface of the usual rigmarole involving "Book Agents and Publishing Companies" of the Old Paradigm involving the production of Pulp Non-Fiction Books and Manuscripts and essentially require complex contracts and the anguish of regular arguments regarding Content and Copyrights.

As a published author ...I've have had some experience with these issues...and the "Agony of Editors" that can be side-stepped with Amazon acting as the means for you to very easily reach out to VERY interested Torque APP Users willing to become your Paying Audience. What you have done here at GMT Nation for us all deserves a chance for you to inform a much wider audience and possibly create a useful Revenue Stream for yourself with something Unique and Extremely Helpful to the thousands of Torque APP users. You will need a more enticing Title of the work... something like "Hidden Secrets of the Torque APP PIDs...REVEALED" to generate more interest and make the seemingly dry logic of the mathematics 'behind the curtain'... more intriguing to them by the Beauty of these PID Solutions.

All you need to do is consolidate each PID into a Standardized "Story" Format that includes the Basic Overview and Description of what each PID does in Plain English and then add the Step by Step parameter adjustments performed by the APP User to follow as good practices using a well thought out Instructional Chapter ...and a Table of Contents with as many of these PID additions that your fertile mind can come up with. The better your prepare your Torque Users with encouragement and training... the quicker your work will become known and accepted as "The Gold Standard" for expanding the useful possibilities you can unlock from the Torque APP on their behalf.

Amazon probably has a mechanism by which you can regularly update such product(s) over time with Appended Versions. Or you could set up your own Web Page for Purchasers to visit for Regular Edited Editions. If you browse the topic and look over similar PDF sales on Amazon... You will get a better idea as to what Sells and what the Pricing Ranges for your Intellectual Property might work.

When @southsidesmoka (PM him for the details) began to Create his Virtual Option to use TIS2000 Software on Non-16-Bit Later Model Windows 7-10 Operating Systems on VMWare... he produced a VERY Polished, Professional Document in the PDF format that was a superb contribution to GMT Nation. Likewise... if there is a chance for you to create a Revenue Stream that only requires the Electronic Transfer over the Internet with minimal 'upkeep' and attention... you might be quite surprised how quickly your Ideas and Mathematical Genius in performing MORE things on the Torque APP will please a wider public more than willing to pay $2.99 (or perhaps MORE) per download for these NEW PID solutions and be VERY happy to discover what is possible ...thanks to your esoteric mind. :>)

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Just for fun this morning....tried out other modules with Torque.

BCM, which as I understand is generally node address 40. Torque doesn't work with "BCM" as a header so we use a hex header here. 6C40F1 where 6C is message type, 40 is our target module address and F1 is reserved for scantools like Tech2 and yes, "Torque" as well.

Name = Light Sensor Volts
PID = 222114
Scale = x1
Units = Volts
Min Val = 0
Max Value = 5
Equation = A/255*5
Header = 6C40F1

I also have Left Solar Sense Volts (222115), Right Solar Sense Volts (22211F), Backlight Dimming % (222125), and Indicator Dimming % (222126)

Liftgate module in my 2002 TrailBlazer is node address A2. Thus my header here is 6CA2F1.

Name = LiftGate Glass
PID = 224101
Scale = x1
Units =
Equation = Lookup(Bit(A:0)::0='Closed':1='Ajar')
Header = 6CA2F1

Screenshot_20190904-120228.png

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
When I try to add 01 to the six digit PID torque gives me an error. It only allows six digits. Any idea why you can do it and I can't?

TJBaker57

Original poster
Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
torque gives me an error. It only allows six digits

What sort of error are we talking about? An actual error message or a "No Response" when testing? I get error warnings when I have an invalid expression or I accidentally leave the short name field blank. But I can type anything into the PID field....

Screenshot_20190909-075629.png

Did you see post #27 of this thread? When I tried out pids on a newer vehicle I got no error messages from Torque but I also got no data. I had to remove the 01. I think it has to do with different protocols, CAN bus stuff maybe? I will readily say here I have no knowledge of these things. My newest vehicle is an 05 Yukon. What year is your truck?

Do you have add-ons installed, like I have TorqueScan and others, though it would be surprising if that would alter the main App.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.