Members projector retrofits

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had the XB halos, only 2 wires passing through a driver. Which halos did you get?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe it shuts them off when the projectors turn on?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
littleblazer said:
Maybe it shuts them off when the projectors turn on?
:undecided: This may be the case, as it's commonly known that the LEDs in the halos die out unexpectedly quick when left on at the same time as the HIDs. :hopeless:

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
I had a kid buy a set at work ive been debating that myself im wondering if they are supposed to shut off for the turn signals it was the first time ive seen those as well

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
What a great idea! Lol that hadn't even crossed my mind. Thanks fellas. :tiphat:

Now if only I could get demon eyes to turn off with them. Any ideas?

-and if it's for the turn signals I wouldn't hook it up, Ryan. As soon as you remove power from the white wire, it comes back on. So it'd act like the AW switchbacks kinda.

-and Carlton, the xb halos that are currently in closeouts.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mounce said:
What a great idea! Lol that hadn't even crossed my mind. Thanks fellas. :tiphat:

-and if it's for the turn signals I wouldn't hook it up, Ryan. As soon as you remove power from the white wire, it comes back on. So it'd act like the AW switchbacks kinda.

-and Carlton, the xb halos that are currently in closeouts.
Perhaps use a normally closed relay for power then when it energizes it kills the demon eyes and halos?

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
That's those 5 pin relays isn't it?

I thought about that, I'll definitely do my homework.

-five minutes of homework and after finding an explanatory wiring diagram I understand it. Thanks for the idea LB. :tiphat:

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Thats the easiest way I can think of doing it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
From the TRS site regarding the halos:
Simplicity: Wiring is easy with a variant of the X Change Module integrated into the LED driver that powers each ring. The white wire receives a constant 12V+. The black wire is grounded, and the yellow wire is tapped into the turn signal circuit.

Mounce said:
littleblazer said:
Perhaps use a normally closed relay for power then when it energizes it kills the demon eyes and halos?
That's what I built for my current retro. I had a pair of mini relays, so I stuck them on a cut down piece of perf board, and soldered some wires to the appropriate connections to make a small control module that can sit inside the headlight.

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Blckshdw said:
From the TRS site regarding the halos:

That's what I built for my current retro. I had a pair of mini relays, so I stuck them on a cut down piece of perf board, and soldered some wires to the appropriate connections to make a small control module that can sit inside the headlight.
That's almost the same thing Dave said, I don't have their fancy XSB halos with the X.change drivers thus I have no yellow wire.

-okay, second paragraph in the link in your post kind of explains it but still isn't exactly for my application because I don't have white/yellow/black wires but that's how I plan on wiring mine since the white wire acts pretty much the same as the yellow wire.

I sent TRS an email so we can get a definite answer lol.

Reactions: littleblazer

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
The verdict is in....

"Hello Garth,

If you're referring to the third wire to the setup that's actually a "DRL" wire. Basically you would tap that wire into the low beam headlight's positive wire and it would turn the LED ring off when the headlights came on. Something we would highly recommend to add some longevity to the setup since these LED rings are incredibly sensitive to heat when in use."

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mounce said:
The verdict is in....

"Hello Garth,

If you're referring to the third wire to the setup that's actually a "DRL" wire. Basically you would tap that wire into the low beam headlight's positive wire and it would turn the LED ring off when the headlights came on. Something we would highly recommend to add some longevity to the setup since these LED rings are incredibly sensitive to heat when in use."
Holy cow I guessed right on something. Time to play the lottery.

68impalacp

Jul 20, 2013
Got them all finished up last night. Installed them this morning. Love the result. I need to order new switchbacks for my turns apparently I order the wrong style bulb.....big thanks to everyone who's done retrofits for reference and those who have helped when I had questions.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427927474736.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427927474736.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 46

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
68impalacp said:
Got them all finished up last night. Installed them this morning. Love the result. I need to order new switchbacks for my turns apparently I order the wrong style bulb.....big thanks to everyone who's done retrofits for reference and those who have helped when I had questions.
Right on bro, looks good!

Reactions: 68impalacp

GMCRick

Mar 20, 2015
68impalacp said:
Looks great, how hard was it for you to do?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So all you guys with projectors, how far do you have them aimed up and where do you have the step relative to the road?
Just curious is all.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
You can do the measuring method, but I do real world driving for adjustment. I want the cutoff line right below the driver's side mirror of other vehicles.

My step comes all the way over to the lane divider.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Okay. My cutoff is right below a cars mirror, but the step is more centered in the lane.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I wonder if I should move it over toward the divider. It would help the visibility some.... projects for another day.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Apparently they recommend 42 inch from the ground but that seems like garbage so I agree with dave do some driving and adjust them to your needs ive never been flashed with my quads so they must be good enough

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Yeah it would. Thats the whole point of the step. Lights up your entire lane then steps down for oncoming traffic. If your're half, I wouldnt open the headlights just for that unless you are doing something else.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Whatever the height of our mirrors are is what mine are currently at. [emoji13]

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I actually don't remember what I did. I need figure it out. My sheet with measurements is still around. Maybe in the morning.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Found it. So at 25 feet the step is the same width as center to center of the projectors. Height is mirror height to bottom minus 5 inches. I believe that makes it 37ish high at 25 feet.

Theblackarrow

Feb 1, 2015
Hi Guys Did anyone here in the community tried to do a retrofit with Audi Style LED Eye line i believe it will be really awesome it's something that have been coming in my mind lately especially after the big failure i had with the eBay Halogen Projectors LOL maybe some one can put a mock up design how shall it look like cause i have a picture of it in my imagination that literally eating my brain

see below
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Style-LED-Eye-Line-Head-Lamp-Light-DRL-For-12-2015-Hyundai-Elantra-GT-I30-/171028487190

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Audi-Style-White-Amber-Tube-Switchback-Headlight-LED-Strip-DRL-DC-12V-2x60cm-/141502456657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20f2342351&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Cruze-2010-2012-Audi-Style-LED-Xenon-HID-Projector-Headlights-/321649670880?hash=item4ae3d07ae0&vxp=mtr

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
I have a set of those laying around my house but I wasn't very impressed with the light output on them

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I acutally like flexiable silicone look better than the strips with the individual chips. Not sure how they would look in our headlights. Maybe if you used them as switchback turn signals. Maybe run two horizontally in the main turn signal and run one veritcally in the side marker turn signal.

Are you still messing with the EBay halogen projectors?

For all you whores out there wanting to upgrade your HID bulbs, TRS has 880 and 9006 3Five HIDs in the closeout section. Brand new for $15 a pair. Not sure what kelvins are left. $15 is cheap for the Morimoto HIDs, just to have a set as back up :yes:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/closeouts.html

Reactions: Mounce and Sib

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I am slacking. I need to get my fogs finished. Most likely will not have time to work on them until we move in June.
Ya I wondered why I haven't heard from you about them or seen any pics you slacker haha

Reactions: dmanns67

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Ordering a pair of x lense d2s 3.0 projectors tomorrow and gattling shrouds tomorrow for these lt lights already picked up the silver paint

Reactions: Sib and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online