Members projector retrofits

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Im curious as to how it will look in an lt never seen many of those projectors before

Reactions: Sib

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Aarkon maybe you can answer this since you seem to be the HID guru around here lol. I have a rainier, I'm wanting to do a retrofit on it. Ideally I'd like to go quad ds2 round projectors. How deep are these suckers. They look like they stick out pretty far. My reflectors are nice and big and round which I think will look great but they're shallow. Don't want it to look bugeyed like its being strangled lol. I'm thinking I'll have to recess these things clear into the engine bay for it to look right. I'd like the lenses of the projectors to be no closer to the main light lens than the edge of the reflector bowl.

Might be ok in the lowbeams but the highs are real shallow.

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
That depends on if you are wanting threaded which are longer and easy mount or oe style that require cutting of the bowls but are a bit shorter

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I'd like the easiest way possible lol. I'd like to just use the stock holes... I'm thinking I'm gonna have to cut up the bowls themselves though.
I'm worried I won't get them in far enough for the shrouds to hide them and may have an interference issue with the solenoids

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
The only easy one that fits the stock holes without cutting is the mini h1 and it is a bit shorter or the matchbox but its only a 2 inch projector so there would be a size different in them but I bet the matchbox would mount into the highs with no real work required except alignment

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Oic... I thought the ds2 or d2s whatever they are went in like the minis do. They say that matchbox know isn't for headlights only fog lights cause if the reduced output from the size. Idk. Was thinking of doing quad lows and highs. I'll have to get a set of lights and a set of projectors and tear them down and see what's what thx

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Ya the d2s is much larger than the matchbox depending on the model its a half inch to one inch lense difference

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Yeah I like the look of those and the light output. Got a few other irons if the fire before I do that. Might have to use one of the other oem type projectors they have or something. I'm real ocd about things match and being symmetrical lol

Reactions: Aarkon

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I also thought the mini h1 was preferred to the d2s as far as like beam pattern and output. Atleast that's what I thought anyway.

Edit: the d2s can take oem bulbs though, so that's a benefit.

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nah, mini d2s is better overall plus the OEM bulb option.

Well at least that's what I've read.

From my understanding of the Morimoto aftermarket projector line up: EVOX-R > FXR > Mini D2S > Mini H1 > Matchbox

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't know. All I know is that it was leaps and bounds beyond what the factory set up was.

Reactions: Mounce

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs

sternamagraph

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks! First of a couple things gonna turn orange. I think it turned out pretty good for not knowing what I was doing for the most part. Hahah

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think they should.

Why I think they should- Dave has fx-r's which are bigger than those from my understanding (not sure about length but they're definitely wider) and Carlton is shoving some OEM projectors in his which are usually huge lol.

Reactions: jpimp and Blckshdw

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Im more worried about the shroud its much larger on the x lense and dont want to take alot off of them to cause light bleed

Reactions: jpimp

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Maybe but I can always make extra modifications if need be but i think it will be ok if I trim the bottom a bit

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:biggrin: Looks purty. Reminds me a little bit of how the ocular shroud fits, which is my favorite so far for the low beam bucket. :yes:

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
Ya its the android stereo out of the envoy I didnt really like it so I pulled it out

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Oh, those are the hammers from The Wall. I was like. Wut?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Mounce said:
I thought they were listed as Pink Floyd. Idk either of those bands though
Pink Floyd album The Wall. You're talking to the guy who almost wrote that on his white block wall in his dorm room and slept with a dark side of the moon poster at his headrest. [emoji2]

Reactions: Aarkon and Sib

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online