LED Mod Thread

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Those tubes have gotten awful reviews for daytime performance. Some have even said you can't see them lit up at all when the sun is shining on wherever they're installed. :no:

Reactions: Mounce

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Well I have decided where I'm going to pull power from when I add Led strips to the van. It has 3 dome lights in it and I will end up ditching the third when I cut the roof for the roof vent. So I might as well use that plug to power at least one set of strips in white to be triggered by the doors. And most likely will have an accent color of some sort powered by the aux battery.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
DFWWIZ said:
Has any one tried the 7014 chips yet? I'm not sure how it can be much brighter than 5630 or 5730, most likely a "space saving" type chip. COBs are pretty bright too for the interior or exterior and not very much money. And then the flexible translucent tubes in white/amber or white/red are pretty cool since they flex in any direction not just 180* plane.

Never heard of the 7014 chips, is that the latest and greatest chip out now? I have been using the 5630s for over a year now and just recently got my hands on a pair of 3157s with 5730 chips.

I will have to do some research, but it does not seem that a 7014 chip will be much brighter than the 5730. You would be going from 5.7mm x 3.0mm to 7.0mm x 1.4mm chip. Yeah your length is 1.3 mm longer, but your width is cut in half by 1.6mm.

Reactions: DFWWIZ and Mounce

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
Well I have decided where I'm going to pull power from when I add Led strips to the van. It has 3 dome lights in it and I will end up ditching the third when I cut the roof for the roof vent. So I might as well use that plug to power at least one set of strips in white to be triggered by the doors. And most likely will have an accent color of some sort powered by the aux battery.
Ever see the show "Cash Cab"?

Kalkhoven

Jun 28, 2015
Ontario
Hey everyone, so it's taken me about 3 days to read this thread but I got all the info I needed to do the led. I had no problem doing the cluster my self but I opened the Hvac controls next which I followed the board leads but got lost after the first four bulbs lol found this thread and got it done, same goes for the Bose system, got two done, figured I'd pull the rest and than check and mark the positives after to realize you can't check for volts after you've de soldered them all lol I'll go back and see who I should be thanking for those pictures of the boards. I'll post again with more pictures once I finish everything. I've done cluster, Hvac, stereo, driver widow/heat seats and steering wheel controls so far. Thanks everyone for posting on here it's a good thread even at 40 so odd pages long :tongue:. ...fyi, I'm going to JY this week for buttons in good shape, it's rather blinding atm :tongue:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 41

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Reactions: Kyle

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
You talked about lighting up the van. Here - first couple of seconds....

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQVW9F0ydIY[/media]

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Never heard of the 7014 chips, is that the latest and greatest chip out now? I have been using the 5630s for over a year now and just recently got my hands on a pair of 3157s with 5730 chips.

I will have to do some research, but it does not seem that a 7014 chip will be much brighter than the 5730. You would be going from 5.7mm x 3.0mm to 7.0mm x 1.4mm chip. Yeah your length is 1.3 mm longer, but your width is cut in half by 1.6mm.
It may be the latest but as for greatest, I'd have to se it to believe it. Although when 5630 came out as was supposedly 3 times brighter than 5050 I was thinking that was just hype too.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Yes they are all the same.

Now since you posted here, there better be some pics posted later of LEDs in these dome lights, or...
ban.gif
Ok, got the red swapped out to blue. When I figure out how to remove the cover on the mirror courtesy lamp, I will have those replaced as well. And finally, I purchased some small strips of blue for my footwells.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435862652.776573.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435862705.954538.jpg

EDIT: I have the single light on top of the mirror not the dual side lights. (In case anyone had instructions or a link)

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
So, trying to replace the visor lights with LEDs. Having issues getting the lenses off. I have the single bulb, centered over the mirror, where the lens is seen whether the mirror cover is open or closed. I've tried to lift it from the front/bottom, but the rear/top doesn't seem to want to come off that way.

Anyone with specific instructions or can post or link the GMC instructions? 2006 Envoy.

Appreciate it.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
So, trying to replace the visor lights with LEDs. Having issues getting the lenses off. I have the single bulb, centered over the mirror, where the lens is seen whether the mirror cover is open or closed. I've tried to lift it from the front/bottom, but the rear/top doesn't seem to want to come off that way.

Anyone with specific instructions or can post or link the GMC instructions? 2006 Envoy.

Appreciate it.

I have the same style lights on my sun visor. I used a small flat head screw driver to pry the clear plastic cover off. There are small plastic hinge type pieces that run on the bottom of the plastic cover. Pry from the top of the cover then rotate towards the driver seat. Then you should be able to lift up on the cover to pull it off. Pry gently though.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
I just wanted to share my new interior lighting, I didn't really go into this thread much and really don't know much about the different version of LEDs on the boards I bought the Cutequeen T10 2835 20 SMD 194 bulbs in "white" http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-Trading-Lights-20-smd-Lumens/dp/B00H1ES6S6/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1HHZS182YNDXT909T5 and the CuteQueen 42mm festoons white 16 SMD http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-White-16-SMD-Festoon-Light/dp/B00B2YE4B4/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1HHZS182YNDXT909T5 I plan to use the extra 42mm to add footwell lighting upfront.

In the meantime here are some pics of the output, one pic is from outside the garage so you can see how dark the garage is for reference, pics 2 and 3 have the rear hatch open, the 4th showing the front seats has the hatch closed and the side view of the 2 doors has the front window down and the factory privacy glass on the back side door up.

edit: pics are in reverse order from how I listed them. we'll see how they last. Pics taken at 8:40 PM

Attachments

• 0703152038.jpg
    0703152038.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 31
  • 0703152038a.jpg
    0703152038a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 0703152039.jpg
    0703152039.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 29
  • 0703152038b.jpg
    0703152038b.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 0703152040a.jpg
    0703152040a.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 28

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Daniel644 said:
I just wanted to share my new interior lighting, I didn't really go into this thread much and really don't know much about the different version of LEDs on the boards I bought the Cutequeen T10 2835 20 SMD 194 bulbs in "white" http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-Trading-Lights-20-smd-Lumens/dp/B00H1ES6S6/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1HHZS182YNDXT909T5 and the CuteQueen 42mm festoons white 16 SMD http://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-White-16-SMD-Festoon-Light/dp/B00B2YE4B4/ref=pd_bia_nav_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1HHZS182YNDXT909T5 I plan to use the extra 42mm to add footwell lighting upfront.

In the meantime here are some pics of the output, one pic is from outside the garage so you can see how dark the garage is for reference, pics 2 and 3 have the rear hatch open, the 4th showing the front seats has the hatch closed and the side view of the 2 doors has the front window down and the factory privacy glass on the back side door up.

edit: pics are in reverse order from how I listed them. we'll see how they last.
Holy moly - do you have a suggested SPF for your passengers?

Yeah, they light up pretty bright. I swapped out to the blue. Last night I clicked on one of the map lights. I thought it was full brightness as I had the visor mirror open a minute before. It was bright. My passenger opened the mirror and it went to full bright - I thought it was going to burn my retinas.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
mcsteven said:
Holy moly - do you have a suggested SPF for your passengers?

Yeah, they light up pretty bright. I swapped out to the blue. Last night I clicked on one of the map lights. I thought it was full brightness as I had the visor mirror open a minute before. It was bright. My passenger opened the mirror and it went to full bright - I thought it was going to burn my retinas.
funny you mention the map light, that is the one odd thing about these bulbs (maybe all LED's in that location on these trucks, I don't know as I've never tried other LED's) but if I push the light to turn on the map light (front bulb) it's like really really dim basically useless like it's not getting full voltage or something but everything else works perfectly the "theater dimming" of the lights after closing the door and they go out COMPLETELY there is no subtle glow like some car forums report from LED interior lighting.

I always felt like even with the stock 194 bulbs this was one of the most well lit vehicles I've ever been in and was afraid after my experiences with the LED bulbs walmart now sells in the automotive section on my firebird that I would lose light from going LED like I did on it so I went with the medium size (T10 instead of standard T5) because I wanted to get the biggest amount of LED's per bulb I could fit and was afraid the T15's would be to tall or else I would have gotten them.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Daniel644 said:
funny you mention the map light, that is the one odd thing about these bulbs (maybe all LED's in that location on these trucks, I don't know as I've never tried other LED's) but if I push the light to turn on the map light (front bulb) it's like really really dim basically useless like it's not getting full voltage or something but everything else works perfectly the "theater dimming" of the lights after closing the door and they go out COMPLETELY there is no subtle glow like some car forums report from LED interior lighting.

I always felt like even with the stock 194 bulbs this was one of the most well lit vehicles I've ever been in and was afraid after my experiences with the LED bulbs walmart now sells in the automotive section on my firebird that I would lose light from going LED like I did on it so I went with the medium size (T10 instead of standard T5) because I wanted to get the biggest amount of LED's per bulb I could fit and was afraid the T15's would be to tall or else I would have gotten them.
We all seem to have the low power affect if we just click on one light. If you open the visor light on the mirror the map light will go to full power. If you put a halogen lamp back in it you will notice the same thing but the difference of full power to the dimmed mode is much less noticeable.

Reactions: DFWWIZ

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
dmanns67 said:
I have the same style lights on my sun visor. I used a small flat head screw driver to pry the clear plastic cover off. There are small plastic hinge type pieces that run on the bottom of the plastic cover. Pry from the top of the cover then rotate towards the driver seat. Then you should be able to lift up on the cover to pull it off. Pry gently though.
Thanks David. I could see the indents at the top but wasn't sure if they were clips, prongs, or something else. I knew the ones on the bottom were prongs. I tried to take them off gently with computer style screwdrivers. No go, required a little more leverage.

Here is the driver side complete and the passenger side with the filament style bulb still in place.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435996863.162541.jpg

Edit: double post re: last that I knew crap-a-talk won't post images on edited posts.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Anyone have any experience with the license plate bolts that have built in LED? I bought some cheap off ebay amd they are not rel bright so looking for some better ones.

Reactions: Redbeard

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pics or link of what it was that you bought?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The bolts look like they have just a single 5050 LED chip in each, so yeah other than up close applications, they aren't going to be very bright. For me personally, I wouldn't buy any prefabbed gear that doesn't list what kinda goodies it's using. :twocents:

The ones from iJDMToy seem to have either 5730 LED chips, or 1.5W high power LEDs, although not sure about the dual color action...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I figured being on the plate it would not take much but they are really dim. The bar was almost too bright.

Might try those 5730 ones because I d not see a need for a red running light on the plate esp where it is relocated to.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Nothing to add, but I like that bar. How about a strip (or 3, one top and 2 sides) of red/white switchback side firing waterproof. Hook the white of course to the current plate lights, add the red to the tail light activation, acting like a 4th brake light.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
With the plate up near glass on passenger side of the tailgate it wold be an out of place brake light I think. Maybe too distracting for others.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: That might be a little too much going on back there. Not to mention how big of a pain it would be to run turn signal wiring through the grommet to the tailgate, and then fish it into the license plate pocket (for those with the plate in the stock location)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I am going for simple white light on the plate to keep the po-po from harassing me. Prolly should do another 12 led bar considering it was down to 4 or 5 lit before i noticed and two could easily go out at similar time and leave me w none.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:ugh: 50+% failure rate? :no:

I'd probably look for something with a little better quality, especially if it's something you can't see during normal operation AND it involves avoiding a ticket.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It was several years old and lives uncovered outside. For the price, it did great. I think I paid $5 back then when I needed the plate moved in a hurry cause I may have forgot about that detail when building the rear bumper and tire carrier.

But that is why I am doing a bit more research before buying again.

Could always pick up a free Harbor Freight flashlight and use a lil duct tape to aim it at the plate and go full manual plate light :wink:

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hmm, then I guess you got your money's worth then.

I was starting to think along the lines of getting a short piece of angle aluminum with holes drilled to match the plate, and a weatherproof LED strip on the bottom, but the cost would be about the same and more work involved.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I thought custom as well, but it is such a minor piece and it really does not need to be too bright due to potential of distracting other drivers that i just need to check out reviews and pick something to use for a couple years. Then maybe do some custom lights in the inner tailgate for when its open and loading or unloading the rear.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Lifetimeleds has a couple different plate lights, plus if they break they will replace them.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Sorry about that, they use to have more options. The eagle eye might work with a custom bracket.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:iagree: That might be a little too much going on back there. Not to mention how big of a pain it would be to run turn signal wiring through the grommet to the tailgate, and then fish it into the license plate pocket (for those with the plate in the stock location)
I wasn't thinking of it for people with it in the stock location, just for HT's.

Sort of like that idea - a piece of channeled aluminium (so the lamps are shielded from top and face), a strip of IP67 or better white LEDs, and you're set to go. I've got more ideas just for this, but I'm trying to remember 'k-i-s-s.'

OTHER NOTE - for those who have replaced both map and vanity mirror lamps with LEDs. Mine does this (below). Does yours? Do you know of any fixes?

When I had the regular bulbs in the mirrors, I would click on one map light and it would do the "low power" mode. Open the mirror and it would make the map light go to full power mode. With LEDs in both, same low power mode in the map light, but when I open the mirror, it also is dim. It won't brighten the map light. I turn off the map light, the mirror goes to full power. No matter what order, it is the same thing. I can have all 4 maps lights on, it's the same thing. The map lights now won't go to full bright unless I turn the switch for panel brightness, lock/unlock with the remote, or open the door, at which point they all come on. At that point the mirror lamps also come on at full brightness.

If I don't find a fix I will likely go back to the original lamps in the mirrors. I like being able to run a single map light at full power.

Reactions: Porkins

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Nothing? No one? Did you all take a vacation from GMTN for the 4th of July?

Hope everyone is doing well and someone else has seen my issue from one post above.Hoping even more that someone has solved it.

Thanks,
MCS

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know of only 3 members who have done the vanity mirror swap, and since I don't have them, I got nothin for ya... :frown:

Reactions: djthumper

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
mcsteven said:
I wasn't thinking of it for people with it in the stock location, just for HT's.

Sort of like that idea - a piece of channeled aluminium (so the lamps are shielded from top and face), a strip of IP67 or better white LEDs, and you're set to go. I've got more ideas just for this, but I'm trying to remember 'k-i-s-s.'

OTHER NOTE - for those who have replaced both map and vanity mirror lamps with LEDs. Mine does this (below). Does yours? Do you know of any fixes?

When I had the regular bulbs in the mirrors, I would click on one map light and it would do the "low power" mode. Open the mirror and it would make the map light go to full power mode. With LEDs in both, same low power mode in the map light, but when I open the mirror, it also is dim. It won't brighten the map light. I turn off the map light, the mirror goes to full power. No matter what order, it is the same thing. I can have all 4 maps lights on, it's the same thing. The map lights now won't go to full bright unless I turn the switch for panel brightness, lock/unlock with the remote, or open the door, at which point they all come on. At that point the mirror lamps also come on at full brightness.

If I don't find a fix I will likely go back to the original lamps in the mirrors. I like being able to run a single map light at full power.

Strange issue. I have LEDs in the map lights and vanity mirrors, but my LEDs behave like you mentioned yours did when you had incandescent bulbs installed.

I think May03LT experienced an issue similar to what you are describing.

Reactions: mcsteven

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Advice on switch for under hood LED?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Reactions: Mounce

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is the one that comes on when it is tilted up right? So I could possibly get the under hood lights on when out climbing offroad...I like it!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online

No members online now.