DFWWIZ Cree/Philips LED headlights

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Envoy_04 said:
Drove the Envoy for a good long time last night after dark, found that the driver's side high beam flickers, or rather flashes on and off repeatedly, after about 10-15 minutes of being on. I predict a driver heat issue internally, as does Kevin - he's sending me a new driver out today. That's customer service! All 5 other drivers and bulbs still in perfect working order, still amazingly bright. The 6-hi mod and Cree LEDs make for one BRIGHT road in front of you, no matter how far out in the country you venture.
I would suspect the driver is getting over heated. I have one that does that when I have been idling a while.

Reactions: Envoy_04

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, whenever us staff members get around to re-publishing the articles, we'll be sure to take out that specification, as the mod applies to all trucks on our platform. I've also done that mod on my truck as well.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
So I know these have been out for some time now, and there have been issues in past with over heating and such.. But how are the new models now? Any issues?

I just checked out tbss thread n there deff some drama over there for sure..

Also has anyone tried these in projectors by chance?

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I got word from the factory last night that they are still looking into the bad drivers I sent back, so hopefully down the road we nip this bug in the butt and all can breathe easier.
I'm finally getting the door sills now. But ....I'm heading to "home" in Iowa for a week to escape the heat here in TX for a bit.

Midnyteryder196

Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
DFWWIZ said:
I got word from the factory last night that they are still looking into the bad drivers I sent back, so hopefully down the road we nip this bug in the butt and all can breathe easier.
I'm finally getting the door sills now. But ....I'm heading to "home" in Iowa for a week to escape the heat here in TX for a bit.
Thanks for quick reply kevin..

I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna order a set or two, just kind of waiting for most of bugs to get worked out.. Its just like all new electronics they only get better with some time and trial..

Since your coming back up for a bit should stop in DSM n can meet up with aarkon n I.. Lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Midnyteryder196 said:
Also has anyone tried these in projectors by chance?
They don't make any hi/low bulbs at the moment, but Smitty did mod a 9006 set to fit into a D2S projector. No pics of the light output though. I am gonna go ahead and try this out when I get around to my next quad projector retrofit.

Planning to have dedicated low beam projectors on the outside (LS430s if I can find some for a good price), and a modded bi-xenon projector in the high beam slot (probably Mormoto H1s), for high beams only. That's where the Crees will go, since I only use the high beams for flash to pass.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I would definitely be first on the list when they finally come out with a D2S base LED that fits into an FX-R projector. I have searched all over the internet and have not found anyone even talking about making D2S LEDs. I would imagine something will come up within the next year. It seems to be one of the most popular projector HID bases.

Reactions: Blckshdw

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Kevin,I was just curious if the issues folks were having with the drivers have worked themselves out? Been working on buying a new house, but once that's finished I need to work on my Malibu's lighting before we roll the clocks back and it gets dark on the ride home

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
SBU,

I can tell you that the new drivers that Kevin sent me haven't missed a beat now in about 6 months. The other ones started failing after about 2 months.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Matt,
I have these in high and low, haven't modded the fog housings yet. I also have the new style drivers and one failed this week. Funny this came up, I was just about to email Kevin and see if he could sell me a couple more as spares.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I haven't had issues with the drivers since the update. One of the problems they were having was cold solder joints.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
neohio said:
Matt,
I have these in high and low, haven't modded the fog housings yet. I also have the new style drivers and one failed this week. Funny this came up, I was just about to email Kevin and see if he could sell me a couple more as spares.
NEO,

Pm him and see what he says...you may be surprised.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Matt,
I usually email Kevin, I emailed him regarding the failed driver and a few other tiny issues. We worked it out, he is sending me some goodies. I know he is making peanuts on the sets. I am sure he has spent quite a bit out of pocket shipping replacements to people as well.

My drivers were of the original design when I first bought them. Then they both failed, he sent me the new drivers. Now that another one failed, I hope to get one from the updated new design.

Kevin is super easy to deal with. Although I am not the demanding type, nor do I expect him to drop everything and treat me like I am standing at his door. He has been an extreme pleasure to deal with. I have read on TBSS where guys try to chew him out and expect miracles. I am just not the type. I email him, and figure he will reply when he has time. He has a shit load of work going on with the sill plates.

Anyway, Mine are up and running, I used the driver from the high beam for now to keep me somewhat legal. When I get the new one, it is a simple plug and play repair.

Reactions: TexazReece and Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Same way here. I thought I had an issue with one of the new ones, emailed him and he said he'll send a new one out. Double checked it and found the problem, told him not to send one.

I know he's not making much on the first batch, but if his customer service remains the same, he'll have customers for life.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Truly worth the money when you have HIDs currently?

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
I went right from stock halogen to these. They are very bright. I only have a few little nit-picking complaints with them.
1st is they do not create heat obviously. so the headlights accumulate crap when driving thru crap in the winter.
2nd, there are "black" spots in the field of light. this is due to only having the CREE's mounted aposing each other. It isn't enough to really notice when both are working. But when I ran around with only one working, it was noticable.

If you try a set and don't like them, I will buy them for my wife's tahoe. I've been dialing in my truck before unleashing on hers.

Also, if you want to see for yourself, I will be in Valparaiso today and tomorrow. I will swap the driver from high to low so they both work and you can try for yourself.

Reactions: Mounce

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Valpo is a long haul from me.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
HARDTRAILZ said:
Truly worth the money when you have HIDs currently?
If you currently have HIDs and happy with them? I am not sure, I do like the fact that they are instant on. The lack of heat isn't as much of an issue for me in the desert as for you guys with snow. If I would have already had the HIDs I would probably get a set of these for the highs.

Reactions: dmanns67

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I swapped out my HID's for these and am happy with them. I honestly didn't have an issue with the snow accumulation last year, but YMMV.

And like dj, I like the instant on.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
If the Crees are ever available in a D2S base, I am down. I do not get much heat from my HIDs since they are inside of a projector. Crees in a 9005 would not be a bad idea for the hi beams since they are instant on.

Reactions: djthumper

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Matt said:
SBU,

I can tell you that the new drivers that Kevin sent me haven't missed a beat now in about 6 months. The other ones started failing after about 2 months.
Good to know. On a Malibu, to replace a bulb you have to dismantle the whole front end of the car. Its like 20 bolts and screws and the bumper comes off. I'd like to that as few times as possible.

Reactions: Matt and Mounce

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Wow, I haven't been on here for a little while and just now read up on all the posts. Thank you to all who have complimented me on service. I try to do the best I can even with the work load and glitches that keep popping up (like compressor just went south after 33 years). I am getting another shipment of Cree driver sets in here shortly but customs is getting a little more stringent so I'm not sure if its this weekend or what yet. AND I have been getting requests to try another style from another factory which uses the much larger newer Cree chip so there are 2 instead of 4. So I purchased a couple to compare with ones I've been selling and they will be here this Friday. Lighting is almost like computer chips...wait 6 mos and what you have will be "old" in comparison. And this type is a little less (3200) lumens than mine (3600) but still more than HID which is typically around 3000.
And between finishing door sills, making LS2 oil pan baffles for peeps, I'm trying to get mine ready for the Southern Fallout in San Antonio in a few weeks. Doug's cutout, tune adjustment, rear spring cushions are just a few of the "chores" I have left to do. And then 2 weeks later its off to Iowa for a 40 yr college reunion. :eek: Yea I'm kinda old, but not really. LOL

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
DFWWIZ said:
Wow, I haven't been on here for a little while and just now read up on all the posts. Thank you to all who have complimented me on service. I try to do the best I can even with the work load and glitches that keep popping up (like compressor just went south after 33 years). I am getting another shipment of Cree driver sets in here shortly but customs is getting a little more stringent so I'm not sure if its this weekend or what yet. AND I have been getting requests to try another style from another factory which uses the much larger newer Cree chip so there are 2 instead of 4. So I purchased a couple to compare with ones I've been selling and they will be here this Friday. Lighting is almost like computer chips...wait 6 mos and what you have will be "old" in comparison. And this type is a little less (3200) lumens than mine (3600) but still more than HID which is typically around 3000.
And between finishing door sills, making LS2 oil pan baffles for peeps, I'm trying to get mine ready for the Southern Fallout in San Antonio in a few weeks. Doug's cutout, tune adjustment, rear spring cushions are just a few of the "chores" I have left to do. And then 2 weeks later its off to Iowa for a 40 yr college reunion. :eek: Yea I'm kinda old, but not really. LOL
Glad to hear everything is working out for you Kevin! I swear im going to get that dang driver out to you yet! its all boxed up and ready to go...but between working two jobs not much time to remember to get to the post office lmao. Also i will prob be speaking to you about some door sills in the near future.

Reactions: DFWWIZ

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Good to hear you're busy Kevin.

I'm thinking of a chrissie pressie for myself soon. Cree high beams. :biggrin:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I just got samples of the other style Cree/drivers in on Thursday. They are slot different in bulb/chip construction with just 1 large Cree chip vs 4 small chips on the sets I've been selling. I need to install one in one side to compare both together. These are 3200 lumen vs 3600 lumens for the original sets. I'm skeptical with only one chip on how they will fill the reflector and shine outward.
I've got so much to get done in 2 weeks before the Southern Fallout in less than 2 weeks.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
TRS ventured into the LED headlight bulbs for a quick minute, but the options didn't measure up to snuff for the projector based bulbs. Found these type 1 D2S bulbs in their closeouts section, these would be good for a high beam only D2S projector IMO. For a low beam, or dual beam setup, definitely need type 2 with the active cooling and LED driver.

D2S LED SYSTEM

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Just dropping in to say my Crees have been FLAWLESS after the new driver. The service from Kevin has been absolutely awesome as well. With my 6 hi mod, these things are the best for driving after night on winding country roads. Kevin, I have that old driver still, I will get it out to you as soon as I can, life has gotten in the way lately and I haven't even gotten to be logged on here for a while.

Reactions: Midnyteryder196

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Since my new house turned into a complete gut it and start over scenario, I've been crazy busy, so I never got around to the Malibu's lighting, although I have 90% of the parts ready to roll. All I have left is picking up some H9 high beams and a latching relay for the fogs.

I saw something over on TBSS about some new samples Kevin was hoping to get in around the first of the year, with a mention of 9000 lumens.

A. Holy Shit!
and
B. Yes please!

Any word on those arriving Kevin? Those sound ideal for high beam use.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
SBUBandit said:
Since my new house turned into a complete gut it and start over scenario, I've been crazy busy, so I never got around to the Malibu's lighting, although I have 90% of the parts ready to roll. All I have left is picking up some H9 high beams and a latching relay for the fogs.

I saw something over on TBSS about some new samples Kevin was hoping to get in around the first of the year, with a mention of 9000 lumens.

A. Holy Shit!
and
B. Yes please!

9000 lumen from a Cree headlight :eek: ?

I thought he said his new stuff was going down to 3000 lumen instead of 3600 lumen because he wanted to go with a more reliable supplier. This was a couple months ago unless he found something different. Have to link to the thread on TBSSowners?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
It would have to be huge. Kevin's produces tons of heat as is. I tested one of his Cree chips with a 9v power source and it went from 70*F to 150*F in about 30 seconds.

Just found the thread, http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98958&page=26 Post #1009, "Not at the moment but I'm in talks with a different factory and a new style with 9000 lumens which will be around $100 for a set. Retail is $150-200. Should be around the first of the year when I get them in."

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
SBUBandit said:

A. Holy Shit!
and
B. Yes please!

dmanns67 said:
It would have to be huge. Kevin's produces tons of heat as is. I tested one of his Cree chips with a 9v power source and it went from 70*F to 150*F in about 30 seconds.

Just found the thread, http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98958&page=26 Post #1009, "Not at the moment but I'm in talks with a different factory and a new style with 9000 lumens which will be around $100 for a set. Retail is $150-200. Should be around the first of the year when I get them in."

I would want to know which of the Cree chips are being used, and how many. Then we could check the specs from the source to see how reliable that number is. The guy on HIDP that built those mini light bars told everyone exactly what model of Cree chip he was using, and how powerful the driver was, so you could calculate the lumens yourself to confirm. To say they have something be 3 times as bright makes me highly skeptical. :eyebrowhuh:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
I290

Members Online