DFWWIZ Cree/Philips LED headlights

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'll do some digging on the OS later today, but I think this happened to someone over there when I was still a lighting nooblet with an infant sized mod bug. They isolated the issue to the ballasts emitting the interference. They wrapped them with something, and that reduced the issue enough for the radio to be tolerable.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If it is coming from the output side of the driver you can try putting a ferrite core coil in line to help eliminate the line noise.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Looks like guys on the OS tried wrapping the ballasts and the wires coming out of the ballast in aluminum foil to act as a Faraday cage, and that helped reduce the interference some.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Thanks for the research and ideas guys, that's why this site is the best! :thumbsup:

I did some digging and a lot of reading myself, and it seems that ballasts for HIDs and now drivers for LEDs cause RF interference in many cases. All my reading confirmed what djthumper said (I should've just listened to the ham radio guy when he gave RF interference advice :biggrin: ) I'm going to get some ferrite cores and put them on the output wires of the drivers. Those are the lumps that you see on a lot of computer cables, I'm going to see if I can get lucky and score some at the local Radio Shack, if not I'll order some online and keep you all updated on if it fixes the issue. If it works it'll be good info to have for those who get the static.

Blckshdw, I also saw the Faraday cage idea online, but the ferrite cores seem a little more permanent than foil, although I just might use that idea until I can pick up some ferrite cores.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Try to get some of the smaller coils so that you can try to get a couple of wraps on the wires.

The "Faraday cage" effect is actually just a shielding like other wires have to help keep interference out of the wiring. Adding twists to the wiring will hlp keep down the noise as well. Which is what the network wiring (CAT-5) does to help eliminate noise.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
djthumper said:
Try to get some of the smaller coils so that you can try to get a couple of wraps on the wires.

The "Faraday cage" effect is actually just a shielding like other wires have to help keep interference out of the wiring. Adding twists to the wiring will hlp keep down the noise as well. Which is what the network wiring (CAT-5) does to help eliminate noise.

I had one random thought and question I wanted to ask you before going to the local Radio Shack tomorrow: would snapping one of the cores made to go over coax over the radio coax behind the dash help fight the RFI?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Envoy_04 said:
I had one random thought and question I wanted to ask you before going to the local Radio Shack tomorrow: would snapping one of the cores made to go over coax over the radio coax behind the dash help fight the RFI?

It may help some, I would concentrate on the output since that is where the change was done. You should be able to narrow down if it is one or both of them causing the noise by simply disconnecting one and then the other.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
One thing that struck me is how my el cheapo crappy ballasts I had for my old HIDs on my old car had ferrites on the HV output lines, but these otherwise really nice Morimotos do not :undecided:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Sparky said:
One thing that struck me is how my el cheapo crappy ballasts I had for my old HIDs on my old car had ferrites on the HV output lines, but these otherwise really nice Morimotos do not :undecided:

They could be internal.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I thought I read somewhere that the Morimotos have potted internals, maybe that has something to do with it?

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Tried a couple things to kill the interference today. I isolated the problem by unplugging the output wires, the interference only occurs when the headlights are burning, unplugging the fan wire has no bearing, but unplugging the output power wire to the LEDs kills the interference. This leads me to believe that the RFI is coming from the bulbs themselves, especially since no place that I hooked a ferrite core over the wires helped. :frown: I tried it on them all, and on each end of them also. I'm guessing this is one problem I'm gonna have to live with...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Did you get a wrap of wire around the coil?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I like hearing static in my radio. .. cuz then I just turn the radio off and hammer the gas... love the sound of my 6.0 LS2.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
jrSS said:
I like hearing static in my radio. .. cuz then I just turn the radio off and hammer the gas... love the sound of my 6.0 LS2.

:poke: "Pickle headed troll" :rotfl:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Really makes me not want these now.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
HARDTRAILZ said:
Really makes me not want these now.

I was just thinking the same thing. These might be just a high beam option for me next time around.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I don't have any static in my radio at all and I'm running the CREE lows and fogs. Could be because I listen to satellite radio. :undecided:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Just talked to Kevin via telephone and he suggest its the mini fans making the static. :dunno:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
I don't have any static in my radio at all and I'm running the CREE lows and fogs. Could be because I listen to satellite radio. :undecided:

Only occurs on analog radio (FM). Digital stuff seems unaffected.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
Only occurs on analog radio (FM). Digital stuff seems unaffected.

That would sort of explain it then. I don't know the last time I listened to an FM station, although the sat radio is using a hard wired FM modulator.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
jrSS said:
Just talked to Kevin via telephone and he suggest its the mini fans making the static. :dunno:

I did some unplugging and messing around, with the fans running and the bulbs unplugged, the interference doesn't exist. It has to be coming from the leds themselves I suppose. It actually isn't that big of a deal, local stations come in crystal clear with them on, but stuff over 20 miles away or so is gonna be static. In Motown, not a problem, but back home I definitely get more static because of the lack of close local stations (not that I'm missing any good ones anyway :no: ) For me, not a deal breaker at all due to the amount of light these things offer, and IMO way easier than messing with HIDs.

Keone_T78

Apr 15, 2014
What's up guys?!? I'm was just breezing through the thread & seeing ppl debating between Cree/HID/LED's . I personally like the hid look. My 06 Accord & my 03 Envoy uses the bulb #9006. Got some HIDs installed on the accord from a stereo shop. They've been out of stock for 6 months now. Found another shop & they told that my Envoy requires relay with resistors along with the HIDs . Is that true? Any advice for me? Thx in advance !

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yes a relay should be used along with having to either do a cap mod to keep a constant 12v or DRL killer mod. Running the CREEs that Kev offers does not require a relay. I just did the cap mod.

Welcome, it is about time someone else from Vegas signed up.

Keone_T78

Apr 15, 2014
djthumper said:
Yes a relay should be used along with having to either do a cap mod to keep a constant 12v or DRL killer mod. Running the CREEs that Kev offers does not require a relay. I just did the cap mod.

Welcome, it is about time someone else from Vegas signed up.

Yes sir ! Thx for the info. Ima newbie so what's "Kev" ? Are you running HIDs or Cree ? I'm in the southwest part of town. What about you ?

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Keone_T78 said:
Yes sir ! Thx for the info. Ima newbie so what's "Kev" ? Are you running HIDs or Cree ? I'm in the southwest part of town. What about you ?

Kev is Kevin. Lol who's a vendor to this site. Most of us if not all go through him for light solutions in our cars.

Keone_T78

Apr 15, 2014
kjkim93 said:
Kev is Kevin. Lol who's a vendor to this site. Most of us if not all go through him for light solutions in our cars.

Lol I figured but I thought I would ask. Thx, what brand is best for a reasonable price ? Or most likely I will head back to that shop , they quoted me $197.70 total with install

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Keone_T78 said:
Lol I figured but I thought I would ask. Thx, what brand is best for a reasonable price ? Or most likely I will head back to that shop , they quoted me $197.70 total with install

His LED kits go for $85 shipped each, installing them yourself isn't too hard if you can follow directions, and of course we're all here to help you out. :thumbsup:

For HIDs, many of us go with VVME or DDM Tuning, those run about $50 I believe. I ran VVME for about 3+ years before going with a Morimoto kit from The Retrofit Source for my projector setup. :twocents:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Keone_T78 said:

I'm Kev aka dfwwiz on here and TBSSowners forum. I've been selling lights for over 3 years and cater to what people want and need without requiring peeps to pay an "arm and a leg". I apologize about my site not being functional at the moment, it had too much old clutter on it so its slowly getting revamped.
Light output is based on lumens not watts as most have thought in the past. Watts is simply power used which comparing filament to LED is about half to 2/3 less power draw. Stock Halogen is about 900-1100 lumens but draws 55 watts of power and runs very hot
I have the Cree/driver LED sets for $75 32 watts 3600 lumen runs only warm (also can be had in 30 watt 2400 and 25 watt 1800 lumen) These are also instant on full brightness
HID sets for $40 35 watts 2600-3000 lumen range from 3400Kelvin to 30000K 5000K is white these also are very hot because its Xenon gas molecules being excited by an arc causing then bumping into each other but they tak 12 seconds to warm up to full brightness not recommended for high beams or flash to pass function
AND I make and sell the Capacitor mod for a full power voltage to the Daytime Running Lights which is a must if you run HIDs or Cree/driver lights. DRLs operate on a pulsed 70% power level-NOT good for ballasts or drivers which require steady 12 volts. My Cap mod is only $5 and a simple connection with a T-tap on the pink/white stripe wire in the BCM under the rear seat. IT will make the BCM think its night time and flow a 12+ volt current to your DRL 9006 low beam lights at all times.
I also have about any LED light you can possible want for any other location on your ride-interior/exterior, ghost under door, strip lights, specialty lights and Cree flashlights with rechg Li-On batteries. :thumbsup:

Keone_T78 said:
What's up guys?!? I'm was just breezing through the thread & seeing ppl debating between Cree/HID/LED's . I personally like the hid look. My 06 Accord & my 03 Envoy uses the bulb #9006. Got some HIDs installed on the accord from a stereo shop. They've been out of stock for 6 months now. Found another shop & they told that my Envoy requires relay with resistors along with the HIDs . Is that true? Any advice for me? Thx in advance !

Relays WITH resistors? NO A relay yes so that the ballast gets 12 volts in daytime running. The resistors are only needed on vehicles with canbus system to the headlights as in BMW, Honda, Mercedes etc because the lower usage of power (resistance) triggers a "bulb out" code to come on.
These are $10 from me but need to be interfaced between your stock plug and your new light set. Or you can buy my Cap mod for $5 and install in less than half the time.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Keone_T78 said:
I am in the northeast near the Air Force Base. I went with the Crees so I don't have to mess with the relay. Don't pay any shop to do the work. Check with me and we can get most things knocked out.

Keone_T78

Apr 15, 2014
djthumper said:
I am in the northeast near the Air Force Base. I went with the Crees so I don't have to mess with the relay. Don't pay any shop to do the work. Check with me and we can get most things knocked out.

Sounds great man & I really appreciate the info & help. Where did you purchase your Crees at? & are the Crees just as bright as HIDs ?

DFWWIZ said:
Relays WITH resistors? NO A relay yes so that the ballast gets 12 volts in daytime running. The resistors are only needed on vehicles with canbus system to the headlights as in BMW, Honda, Mercedes etc because the lower usage of power (resistance) triggers a "bulb out" code to come on.
These are $10 from me but need to be interfaced between your stock plug and your new light set. Or you can buy my Cap mod for $5 and install in less than half the time.

I tend to do most work on my Envoy with my neighbor. Because I have a weird work schedule with split days off I was being lazy & called that shop. I got a bad vibe from them right away . But they're the ones who told me I need to purchase a hid kit , relay with resistors (for continuous 12v & anti flicker ). I have to read up on these "cap mods" & other terms so that I can be on the same page with you guys. I really appreciate the info, thank you! I'm starting to really like this sits A LOT !!!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Keone_T78 said:
Sounds great man & I really appreciate the info & help. Where did you purchase your Crees at? & are the Crees just as bright as HIDs ?

I tend to do most work on my Envoy with my neighbor. Because I have a weird work schedule with split days off I was being lazy & called that shop. I got a bad vibe from them right away . But they're the ones who told me I need to purchase a hid kit , relay with resistors (for continuous 12v & anti flicker ). I have to read up on these "cap mods" & other terms so that I can be on the same page with you guys. I really appreciate the info, thank you! I'm starting to really like this sits A LOT !!!

Thumper and I both bought our crees from kevin and I gotta say they are very close once your eyes are accustomed to them.

On that note kevin im gonna try to send tbe driver back to you this weekend....been slammed at work lately.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Thumper and I both bought our crees from kevin and I gotta say they are very close once your eyes are accustomed to them.

On that note kevin im gonna try to send tbe driver back to you this weekend....been slammed at work lately.

Sounds good. I have Larry in Vegas looking at scoping some drivers for me and I've asked Rose if she can simple send me Cree boards to replace the few defective ones rather than a complete bulb. I know all the machining that goes into these has to be costly so anything I/we can do to help keep this god thing going is appreciated.

Reactions: TexazReece

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
DFWWIZ said:
Sounds good. I have Larry in Vegas looking at scoping some drivers for me and I've asked Rose if she can simple send me Cree boards to replace the few defective ones rather than a complete bulb. I know all the machining that goes into these has to be costly so anything I/we can do to help keep this god thing going is appreciated.

Awesome, im wondering if moisture was the cause since I did notice one rusted screw on the case of the dead driver.

Keone_T78

Apr 15, 2014
Darkrider_LS said:

Thx for the info. Now are Crees eye catching like HIDs ?

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Awesome, im wondering if moisture was the cause since I did notice one rusted screw on the case of the dead driver.

I doubt it since they pour in the black goop inside the driver to seal it up.

Keone_T78 said:

Crees and COBs are replacing everything now a days. HID will be a thing of the past in a couple years which is why they are getting so cheap in price.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Even the guys on the golf cart forum I'm on are going with Cree headlight installs on their carts! :thumbsup: I've been prodding the interested ones along into trying some for their vehicles, gave 'em the original thread link on SS Owners. :biggrin:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Envoy_04 said:
Even the guys on the golf cart forum I'm on are going with Cree headlight installs on their carts! :thumbsup: I've been prodding the interested ones along into trying some for their vehicles, gave 'em the original thread link on SS Owners. :biggrin:

Well if they can use 9005 or 9006 bulbs I have some 50 watt and 80 watt Cree (no driver) bulbs also that would probably light those carts up big time.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Keone_T78 said:

We need to get together before you purchase so you can see mine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rrachal

Members Online