DFWWIZ Cree/Philips LED headlights

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
We need to get together before you purchase so you can see mine.

Tell him bring his shades or see spots for awhile1 :eek:

djthumper said:
We need to get together before you purchase so you can see mine.

Hey Larry,
I'm sending a driver out tomorrow, I think I put the order date on the "sent" side on your info card when you first contacted me so I thought I sent it already. But then looking thru all the April postage receipts I didn't find one for Vegas. Rose is now going to send me individual Cree boards that I can replace like I did on Petri's H7 today. I took the 2 boards from a broken 880 bulb (broke where heat sink is screwed together) and installed/soldered them and it worked fine so now I can send it right away rather than waiting 2 weeks to get him a new one.

Keone_T78

Apr 15, 2014
Sounds like a plan. I don't know what your work schedule is but my days off are Monday & Wednesday . I have a weird work schedule . Thx for the help

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
DFWWIZ said:
I doubt it since they pour in the black goop inside the driver to seal it up.

Ahh ok didnt know that! Good to know since i was considering putting silicone into the cuts in the case of the drivers where the wires come out to attempt to waterproof them but now i dont have to lol :thumbsup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Keone_T78 said:
Sounds like a plan. I don't know what your work schedule is but my days off are Monday & Wednesday . I have a weird work schedule . Thx for the help
I am off Fri-Sun, I work until 630 in the evening.

Darkrider_LS said:
Ahh ok didnt know that! Good to know since i was considering putting silicone into the cuts in the case of the drivers where the wires come out to attempt to waterproof them but now i dont have to lol :thumbsup:

It may not hurt any but most of the components are covered by the potting compound they have in there. If I think about it I will take pics when I take mine apart to trace a possible cold solder joint.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
It would appear my response from last night was lost in the changeover to the new forum. Thats what I get for still being up posting at 1 in the morning.

Anyways, I'm accumulating a pile of parts for my new daily driver, and I'll be ordering a set of Kevin's Cree H9 bulbs very soon. I'll be using those as the high beams on my '10 Malibu. I've already got two sets of 6000K H11 HIDs for the lows and fogs, LTZ fog bezels, and LTZ fogs. All thats left is the Crees, the factory switch, and the DEI latching relay I need to make it all work. That will give me the option for 6 beams when the highs are on, with two sets of HID and a set of Crees. That should be a whole mess of light.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
DFWWIZ said:
Hey Larry,
I'm sending a driver out tomorrow, I think I put the order date on the "sent" side on your info card when you first contacted me so I thought I sent it already. But then looking thru all the April postage receipts I didn't find one for Vegas. Rose is now going to send me individual Cree boards that I can replace like I did on Petri's H7 today. I took the 2 boards from a broken 880 bulb (broke where heat sink is screwed together) and installed/soldered them and it worked fine so now I can send it right away rather than waiting 2 weeks to get him a new one.
Received it yesterday. :thumbsup:

Reactions: DFWWIZ

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Clint Pitts said he had a problem with his flickering and found the small connectors were not make a good solid connection. The pins were getting pushed out when plugging together. Said it works fine now. Dillon also said the same thing on his.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
OK I cut mine out of the case and found the positive line in has a broken solder joint only being held in by the potting compound. The power output wire to the lights that I told you I was having issues with was just loose in the connecting hole not even soldered in. I am trying to get more of that compound off so I can get better pics to post up. The case could be almost half of its size.

Feb 16, 2012
Still debating a set of these, but within last year or 2 I put in all 4 Silverstars. KIND of hoping one or some of them die out and give me a reason to buy these! :smile:

Reactions: TexazReece

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
djthumper said:
OK I cut mine out of the case and found the positive line in has a broken solder joint only being held in by the potting compound. The power output wire to the lights that I told you I was having issues with was just loose in the connecting hole not even soldered in. I am trying to get more of that compound off so I can get better pics to post up. The case could be almost half of its size.
:undecided: I wonder why the case is so big then. Does the extra amount of potting compound give additional thermal dissipation or something?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If it filled it I might think that but no way. It looks like a capacitor was touching the cover as well.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Can someone who has installed these tell me how long the cord is from the driver to the bulb? I want to install these as high beams in my Malibu, but in order to change a bulb on the 'bu you have to remove the entire front bumper. I'd like to be able to mount the driver where I could get to it without removing the bumper in case of a driver issue so I don't have to pull the bumper again.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Can someone who has installed these tell me how long the cord is from the driver to the bulb? I want to install these as high beams in my Malibu, but in order to change a bulb on the 'bu you have to remove the entire front bumper. I'd like to be able to mount the driver where I could get to it without removing the bumper in case of a driver issue so I don't have to pull the bumper again.
Their not very long. Both the wires from the bulb and the driver itself are short

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Would it matter to disconnect battery when doing the capacitor mod to the BCM? This is the mod to keep the DRL's running at full power so the Cree's driver will run at proper voltage during the day. I normally just switch off the DRL's when I'm driving during the day but I know my wife might drive the TB and won't remember to turn off the Cree's.

Reactions: dmanns67

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
To be 100% safe against any chance of you shorting the power feed to the rear block to a ground point, then sure. If you think you can be careful enough to only splice into the intended wire, then you can leave things connected.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
When you are tapping that wire there should be no power if the vehicle is not running.

TB_n00b

Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
How are people finding these work? Any issues? I haven't changed my bulbs since I got the truck (almost 5 years) so I anticipate new bulbs sometime in the future. these might be an option if they are totally reliable.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Treat them the same as HIDs, (address DRL situation) that's the main thing.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I love them! work awesome out in the desert.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
For the time I was running them I liked them, I'm seriously considering transplanting them into the blazer for now.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Anyone who purchased the fogs have any pics on where they attached the small box that powers the them? I have an idea of where I want to zip-tie them but just wanted to see how others have.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
TexazReece said:
Anyone who purchased the fogs have any pics on where they attached the small box that powers the them? I have an idea of where I want to zip-tie them but just wanted to see how others have.
You get them mounted yet? I just ziptied mine up to the metal bumper bracing, made a nice tidy job. I also taped up the small plug in connections just to keep any water out - that's a really wet area under there and I didn't want to take any chances.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I bought some silicone so I won't have to worry bout water getting in. I have not mounted them just yet had to take out the Cree's and sending back one that was acting up. Once I get the driver back them I'll put them all in bro and I will post pics :thumbsup:.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I mailed it out Friday so maybe you get it Monday, Reece.
And I will be sending a half dozen back to the factory this week so they can figure out what is the cause of flickering and maybe resolve any more problems for the future. They have said it only happens on the 3600 lumen version which I'm selling but they mostly sell 1800 lumen. My suspicion is the "cold" soldering process they incorporate with the components to the board. IT may be fine for lower power consumption but 3600 lumen I think may be pushing the limits.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I'm mailed the bad driver out and I definitely have no problems Kevin. I know there are some bugs still to be worked out with the Cree's to which I understand.

Reactions: djthumper

patrick

Feb 17, 2013
I have Cree low beams and highs. When I turn the key to the on position without starting the lights are fine. When the engine is running though the right low beam pulses to the point that it looks like it is flickering. Turn engine off and it becomes a stable light again. I have changed bulbs and drivers. Any clues? High beams are fine either way.
Someone suggested a hid relay harness. Any ideas? Love the lights.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Relay harnesses are advised. How did you address the DRL situation? DRL killer or capacitor mod? (you have to do one or the other)

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
A video may help us see it better. It sounds like your capacitor is not doing the job properly.

patrick

Feb 17, 2013
I figured if the capacitor was messed up it would affect both lights. I'll check it and try a video after work

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
djthumper said:
A video may help us see it better. It sounds like your capacitor is not doing the job properly.
:iagree:

There are a few write ups on killing your DRLs if you choose to switch it up and go that route.

patrick

Feb 17, 2013
It was the driver/box. Switched that out and it's all good. This is the second bad driver I have used. The holes where the wires go in didn't seem to be sealed fully. Maybe water, or dirt got in there.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
3 weeks ago I shipped 8 "bad" drivers back to the factory which they just got last Friday. Hopefully they can analyze the problem and fix the problem. I have a few more sets on hand but just an FYI, I'll be leaving Sat for a week off and going back home to IA and hopefully cooler weather.
On my other thread I commented on the billet door sills (20 sets) are just being finished up tomorrow and I'm stopping by to see how they look.

Reactions: dmanns67

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
DFWWIZ said:
3 weeks ago I shipped 8 "bad" drivers back to the factory which they just got last Friday. Hopefully they can analyze the problem and fix the problem. I have a few more sets on hand but just an FYI, I'll be leaving Sat for a week off and going back home to IA and hopefully cooler weather.
On my other thread I commented on the billet door sills (20 sets) are just being finished up tomorrow and I'm stopping by to see how they look.
Is it possible to post pics of the bowtie version door sills in your other thread? I assume it is billet with a raise bowtie in the middle. Wanted to see the option for us non SS guys.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
DFWWIZ said:
Keep meaning to send you my bad one and keep forgetting lol...I will try to send it out at the end of the month. I would also be interested in seeing pics of the sill plates since mine are all scratched up

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Drove the Envoy for a good long time last night after dark, found that the driver's side high beam flickers, or rather flashes on and off repeatedly, after about 10-15 minutes of being on. I predict a driver heat issue internally, as does Kevin - he's sending me a new driver out today. That's customer service! All 5 other drivers and bulbs still in perfect working order, still amazingly bright. The 6-hi mod and Cree LEDs make for one BRIGHT road in front of you, no matter how far out in the country you venture.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rrachal

Members Online