Cranks but won't start

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Bottom right of your photo is battery power at all times.

Bottom left of same pic should be ground at all times.

Top left of pic is to the fuel pump. should read a low resistance to ground.

Now here is the tricky one. Top right of pic goes to PCM. Key off will read a high resistance to ground. Key to run will read about +12VDC from the PCM. WHY!?! It's like this, these are solid state output drivers in the PCM. There is a small resistor across the coil terminals of the relay. With the relay removed there will be seen a weak +12 volt dc signal. The only way to see the voltage rise and fall is with the relay in the circuit.

Last edited:

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
All I can think of is a bad relay (but swapping the relays around doesn't solve the problem) or a weak battery (just seeing 12.2 volts between the terminals.)

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
@coolride

Take your relay and do a single wire wrap to the one terminal that will be inserted into the top right socket of the picture from the video. install the fuel pump relay. test for 12 vdc on the other end of that now loose wire as the key is cycled. (remove starter realy as per @budwich post)

Reactions: coolride

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
Is this what you mean budwich?

I put the meter on the upper right terminal; I do see battery voltage when the key is turned to on. (Left of 10amp fuse.)
View attachment 100582
Yes... there is one voltage which is "switched" by the relay... it goes to your fuel pump. The other voltage, which I think you are referring to, is sent by the PCM to activate the relay which is ALWAYS grounded at the other pin (not sure what you previous said about 12v on the ground... user problem with the meter).

Anyway, you should see the voltage coming from the PCM EVERY time your key goes to ON. Do that a whole bunch of times (20 plus). IF any time you do not see that voltage, that means you have a control problem which could be the PCM or cabling including the key switch.

As suggested by tjbaker57 and the way you show your "great wiring adaption" capability, you can likely readily wire "pig tail wires" (careful of bare wire points) on all the pins of the relay and reinsert it, then you will have test access to check all the conditions at any moment. Go from the results.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
when you jump the relay like you have, the pump will run continously

What I'm wondering is, if I jump the relay like this can I drive normally without worrying about destroying something?

In other words: If the TB won't start when I'm at work, is it safe to use this "jumped relay" setup as a way to get home?
fuelpump33.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When running normally, the pump runs constantly so jumping it like that wouldn't hurt anything but you would need to pull it each time you shut it down as it would keep running. IIRC, the + side does not shut off.

It would be preferable to find the root cause of why the PCM is not wanting to turn on the pump or why the signal isn't getting to the relay. There have been a few instances of traces under the fuse box that have broken. I guess the age of these trucks is starting to manifest itself.

Reactions: mrrsm

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Here's the test this morning. Pigtail on the control terminal, I was looking for 12V when the key is turned on. (Image a little foggy because it's humid here.)
fuelpump34.jpg

I find 12V at the correct time. (Looks like 10V, but is not easy to snap a picture and work the ignition.) It's showed 12V every time. (But the engine wouldn't start.)
fuelpump35.jpg

Last edited:

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
My thought now is to tap on ground 107. I was jumping the pump, but not hearing it run.

Although a couple of times it did try to start, and ran very briefly. As if maybe the pump ran for a second and then stopped.

Reactions: TJBaker57

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
so you have the right idea with the metering. You need to add a few more wires. :smile:
so you have done the test lots of times and always see "12v", right? remember your "log" which showed 14 plus times success. You need to do lots of tests to ensure that indeed the control circuit / wiring is correctly operating.

You need to move or add wires for the other pin, going to the fuel pump. re do your test with your meter on that wire, it should see "12v" with every key "ON" operation as the relay operates and switches the constant 12v to the output of the relay. Again, lots of test runs to ensure that happens correctly EVERY TIME.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I'll do that budwick. But if I do that test and see 12V going to the pump, that means the engine should start during the test right?

Maybe I shouldn't be using the battery as the ground, but instead use the relay's ground.

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
find 12V at the correct time. (Looks like 10V, but is not easy to snap a picture and work the ignition.) It's showed 12V every time. (But the engine wouldn't start.)

Any chance that you heard or felt the relay click here at that time??

If yes, the relay clicked, but the pump didn't run, and you have verified 12 volts at the relay going to the pump, that brings you to the fuel pump ground. I cannot remember if this has been addressed, fuel pump ground removed, cleaned, and replaced?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
My thought now is to tap on ground 107. I was jumping the pump, but not hearing it run.

Although a couple of times it did try to start, and ran very briefly. As if maybe the pump ran for a second and then stopped.

Why G107? If you were jumping the pump at the relay, sending 12 volts to the pump, should you not be checking G305, the fuel pump ground??

A second option at the time that fuel pump is not running when it should, is to read resistance from relay terminal socket the runs to the pump, to ground. You should read a low resistance value through the pump circuit to ground. And this can be done without having to climb under the truck, right there at the fuseblock with the meter you already have on hand

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I'm tossing this up here as I have long had a less than clear idea of which ground is which when it comes to the EBCM and Fuel Pump grounds. Fuel pump ground is G305, whose location can very easily be confused with G304. I see @coolride has pictures showing a very rusted ground that might be G304 or G305 I think. So I dug deeper in my literature and found this imagery.

Screenshot_20210608-093849.pngScreenshot_20210608-093912.pngScreenshot_20210608-093932.png

Reactions: Mooseman and mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
... and chiming in with Post # 209 via @Mooseman ... It would not hurt eyeballing these PINOUT Diagrams and after pulling the relevant PCM Harness Connectors... Back-Probe the Starting-Fueling-Ignition System Circuit(s) for Continuity. It is rare... but there have been some instances involving Hidden either Broken (or Rodent Chewed) Harnessing and Wiring on the GMT360 Platform:

Attachments

• BCM2004DIAGRAM.jpeg
    BCM2004DIAGRAM.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PCMPINOUT5.jpeg
    PCMPINOUT5.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PCMPINOUTS1.png
    PCMPINOUTS1.png
    345.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PCMPINOUTS2.png
    PCMPINOUTS2.png
    379.6 KB · Views: 4
  • PCMPINOUTS3.png
    PCMPINOUTS3.png
    290.7 KB · Views: 4
  • PCMPINOUTS4.png
    PCMPINOUTS4.png
    345.3 KB · Views: 3
  • GMCLASS2NETWORK.jpeg
    GMCLASS2NETWORK.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I'll do that budwick. But if I do that test and see 12V going to the pump, that means the engine should start during the test right?

Maybe I shouldn't be using the battery as the ground, but instead use the relay's ground.
not sure wth you are referring to about "the battery as the ground, but instead use the relay's ground".....

Further about the comment "about 12v going to the pump, it should start...", testing is about segmentation of the circuit. There are still additional checks there after.... "baby steps" are needed first to ensure that circuits are doing EXACTLY what is expected at ALL times otherwise, you end up where you are currently with "starts some times, and then not".

Still further, your metering should ALWAYS be done to a KNOWN ground.... Other grounds maybe become known IF you test them correctly using resistance and NOT a voltage test.... Ie. the resistance between two ground points should be "0", voltage between two points that you don't if they are connected, means nothing... hold your probes in mid air, its is likely that they will read near zero, that does NOT mean they are have continuity, it means there is no voltage to be measured (withstanding any residual coming from your body / hands).

Anyway, you are making some small steps.

IF you continue down your current test path (with wire pig tails), you will likely find your answer in the next set of tests ... :smile:

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Why G107? If you were jumping the pump at the relay, sending 12 volts to the pump, should you not be checking G305, the fuel pump ground??

A second option at the time that fuel pump is not running when it should, is to read resistance from relay terminal socket the runs to the pump, to ground. You should read a low resistance value through the pump circuit to ground. And this can be done without having to climb under the truck, right there at the fuseblock with the meter you already have on hand

From the diagram you posted (Fig: 42) I'll say that the image I posted of the rusty ground was at position 25 (listed as G304.) I was under the impression that G304 was for the anti-lock brakes.

G305 is the fuel pump ground? I thought it was G107 (on driver's side of the engine block.)

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I went out to the driveway and had a look at G305. The bolt sheared, then was drilled out. All surfaces were sanded clean and I installed a new bolt. After restoration of this ground, the engine didn't start. At least I know the contacts are clean.
fuelpump36.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd be checking all the major grounds given the condition of this one. The two on the lower left side of the block are important for PCM and other main functions.

There's a reason why the relay isn't sending the power to the fuel pump. Just have to find out the cause.

Out of curiosity, and in case this hasn't been asked yet, is your security light on or flashing?

Reactions: mrrsm and coolride

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
budwich, I'll test those grounds with resistance. Not voltage. Picked up a bunch of stuff from the auto parts store today (actually 2 parts stores, HF, and Lowes.)

Is it impossible to find nice multi-meter test lead accessories at the retail level?

Will be thinking on how to proceed with the testing. I have 2 long work days ahead, then some time off. I'm learning much. :thumbsup:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
the simple test is to remove the relay, put your red probe on the socket pin that goes to the fuel pump and the black on your battery ground, take a resistance reading. That will tell immediately what's happening with the wiring ALL the way thru the pump back to the battery. I think that's what I suggested back in post 145. :-(

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
the simple test is to remove the relay, put your red probe on the socket pin that goes to the fuel pump and the black on your battery ground, take a resistance reading. That will tell immediately what's happening with the wiring ALL the way thru the pump back to the battery. I think that's what I suggested back in post 145. :-(

That was 6 months ago. I was super busy at work and the TB sat untouched for long periods of time. When I had extra time and energy, I removed some rust and painted the frame and underside of the cabin. Just getting my head around the electrical testing now.

Needed something to do last winter. Not perfect but who will ever know. It's flat black on the frame and gloss almond on the body. Rustoleum. It's like this from the rocker to under the drive shaft. Will start the passenger side when this electrical issue is resolve.
IMG_2582 (2).JPG

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do not shove the probe into fuse box relay or fuse slots or you will spread the connector's fingers and cause more problems. Use a piece of wire or a connector pin.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks

What's "low resistance to ground?" I searched that term on YT and did'nt find an explanation. Could you describe how that test is done and what it means?

P.S. It's been sitting for a couple days so I'll head out to try and start it now.

Last edited:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
It means when you measure the resistance to a ground point on the pump lead, it will measure low... because you are basically measuring the motor windings. That's why need to do this simple test as it tells you most of the story about your pump circuit.

Reactions: TJBaker57

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
I tested the resistance between the upper left terminal and the battery ground. This is the pump circuit right?
fuelpump37.jpg

The reading is 1. That means open circuit right? Not good?
fuelpump39.jpg

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I tested the resistance between the upper left terminal and the battery ground. This is the pump circuit right?
View attachment 100695

View attachment 100697

No. That does not mean an open circuit.

Without seeing the specific setting on the meter face I will guess it is set to read resistance in ohms, and best case it is either set to the lowest selectable scale (nothing with a 'k' in it) or it is an autoranging meter.

That is likely a resistance value of 1 ohm through the wiring to the pump , through the motor windings and then on through the wiring from the pump to the frame ground, and then through the negative battery cable(s) to the battery negative terminal.

If you connect to an open circuit the meter reading will not change from what is seen when the meter is connected to nothing.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Quick look at the actron manual: A left hand 1 indicates infinite resistance.

Here's a better look. The black lead is connected to the bat. neg. terminal (shown way left) and the red lead is on the power supply to the fuel pump.
fuelpump40.jpg

This measurement is between 12v power at the relay, and the pump power supply. Connecting these two pig tails should start the pump running, but the pump doesn't run.
fuelpump41.jpg

Last edited:

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
View attachment 100695

View attachment 100697
most likely... not good. That appears to indicate an open circuit. The hard part is determinin where that occurs. Havng said that, indeed you need to know exactly which pin at the socket is which. Use your meter and determine which is the constant 12v. Then determine which is the one that gets 12v from the pcm. Then measure the two others for resistance, one is constant ground and the other IS the PUMP CIRCUIT. That is the one that you are interested in.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
your "pig tails" might not be as good as you think. Pull the relay and follow the other directions about using "properly size wire" directly into the socket point. What is the measurement?

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
So to measure the resistance through the pump to ground you must measure between the neg battery terminal and the TOP LEFT relay socket in your imagery.

That test was done and is documented in a post just before your post. It's just above and with an image. Post #234.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.