4.2 Envoy Turbo Build

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
haha thats awesome man such a great idea. I will have to find some around here!

How about one of those tunnels heading into the big city? Have the lady tape it. I bet if you could plan an overnight arrival you might get a nice long empty tunnel. Can't imagine driving an entire gear through any within HOURS of me. Merely a suggestion.

Nicely done on the mpgs! Hopefully it keeps up, lol.

EDIT: I have to suggest a gopro cam with audio. Easy to relocate and mount. I was thinking up front and in rear by your exhaust for forward and driveaway vids. And then learn some Top Gear speed editing, lol. More importantly is Safety! Think less than $200 online for something decent that rally friends use.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
ConeKilrAutoX said:
DRIVING AROUND A BIT

Dude you driving so fast the camera could not focus :rotfl:. The sound of the turbo spooling up :salivate:

ConeKilrAutoX said:
I forgot to mention that on my way to work thursday... I did get 24 mpg on a 25min trip 70% highway 30% city. and I gave it gas hard for a few miles of the trip.

That is great gas mileage. Who would have thought building such a beautiful monster would save you money in the long run :thumbsup:. Even if I baby my TB on the highway, the best mpg I have ever seen was 22.5. I am about 80% highway, 20% city and only average about 18mpg.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Dude you driving so fast the camera could not focus :rotfl:. The sound of the turbo spooling up :salivate:

That is great gas mileage. Who would have thought building such a beautiful monster would save you money in the long run :thumbsup:. Even if I baby my TB on the highway, the best mpg I have ever seen was 22.5. I am about 80% highway, 20% city and only average about 18mpg.

Wow! Thats impressive. Best I ever saw n/a was like 18 highway haha

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Now that the sun has risen....:coffee: I can get my thoughts on paper.

Again, this is just an observation since my couch-butt-dyno is different from your driver's seat-dyno. :biggrin:

I'm hearing it spool up, but didn't see alot in the department of forward lunge or pressure building. What pressure are you running at 3/4 throttle when you run it up to 4K? This also could have been your recording device but the hissing sound was loud so I just want to make sure there are no leaks at the intake plumbing or any wastegates not fully seating.

Also, how many bends are in your intake plumbing, especially 90-degree bends? Will be awhile before I can get back so I want to ask as much as possible. I thought I saw a few 90's in the build and this may cause airflow issues, not sure why I'm thinking of this now and not before.

Just making observations and I hope they are all meaningless, but that's how I like to work..only constructive criticism, since we are not there to help you out.

There's no doubt it will provide boost, I'm just questioning linear power delivery right now after 2K.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
gmcman said:
Now that the sun has risen....:coffee: I can get my thoughts on paper.

Again, this is just an observation since my couch-butt-dyno is different from your driver's seat-dyno. :biggrin:

I'm hearing it spool up, but didn't see alot in the department of forward lunge or pressure building. What pressure are you running at 3/4 throttle when you run it up to 4K? This also could have been your recording device but the hissing sound was loud so I just want to make sure there are no leaks at the intake plumbing or any wastegates not fully seating.

Also, how many bends are in your intake plumbing, especially 90-degree bends? Will be awhile before I can get back so I want to ask as much as possible. I thought I saw a few 90's in the build and this may cause airflow issues, not sure why I'm thinking of this now and not before.

Just making observations and I hope they are all meaningless, but that's how I like to work..only constructive criticism, since we are not there to help you out.

There's no doubt it will provide boost, I'm just questioning linear power delivery right now after 2K.

Haha no worries. 2 90* bends but good flow. Those vids are ONLY 3psi. Thats why it looks like nothings happening im pretty much just pushing air. On 5 and 8 psi its much more launchy and powerful but i cant beat it til aug when the shows are done... Haha need it running :smile: no leaks ive tested multiple times with an air compressor at 40psi.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Nice vids bro, that is amazing!!! I love the cockpit(seams an appropriate word) with the switches and gauges! The sound is awesome both inside and out! Once again...I can hardly wait for more vid's :thumbsup:

Oh.... I'm in the shed listening, laptop is always hooked up to the shed stereo and I even a Paradigm PS-1000 sub out here too, I think I'm disturbing the neighbors with your exhausts notes :biggrin: my friend 4 doors down always hears the bass but damn..... it sounds really nice cranked up...:yes:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Nice vids bro, that is amazing!!! I love the cockpit(seams an appropriate word) with the switches and gauges! The sound is awesome both inside and out! Once again...I can hardly wait for more vid's :thumbsup:

Oh.... I'm in the shed listening, laptop is always hooked up to the shed stereo and I even a Paradigm PS-1000 sub out here too, I think I'm disturbing the neighbors with your exhausts notes :biggrin: my friend 4 doors down always hears the bass but damn..... it sounds really nice cranked up...:yes:

Haha thanks! Neighbors probably are upset... Imagine mine!? Especially with me going to work at 7am :/ im their favorite neighbor :biggrin:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Haha no worries. 2 90* bends but good flow. Those vids are ONLY 3psi. Thats why it looks like nothings happening im pretty much just pushing air. On 5 and 8 psi its much more launchy and powerful but i cant beat it til aug when the shows are done... Haha need it running :smile: no leaks ive tested multiple times with an air compressor at 40psi.

Cool...good to hear. :thumbsup:

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Thanks man! and how? more spool noise? and also Sorry it poured today so I need to log more data hopefully thursday and get it to you.

Yeah the turbo is definitely more pronounced on the Envoy.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
90% throttle through first gear, then I took my foot off and it kind of double shifted into 3rd gear at about 45% throttle :sadcry: need to not take foot off winding it out so itll stay in second haha.

[video=youtube;3lVINaJBpac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lVINaJBpac&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Spedometer is not completely accurate yet so just pay attention to the tach.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Man that weather is messing all kinds of things up. I can't wait to see the video though.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Well its raining now.. So it might have to wait until tomorrow. The last week and a half the weather has not been very nice to me

Find a tunnel. :biggrin:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
MUST WATCH in HD on speakers or headphones haha

ENJOY :yes:

11 Minutes in the envoy
[video=youtube;yNT56bgKeEo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNT56bgKeEo[/video]

65% acceleration
[video=youtube;_-1PuCIF4iI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-1PuCIF4iI[/video]

85% throttle (too afraid for 100% because it winds WAY out!)
[video=youtube;8saGJd7F5Ys]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8saGJd7F5Ys[/video]

MORE TO FOLLOW TOMORROW HOPEFULLY

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
0-60 contest via torque when I get my stuff in? think so :yes:

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Sounds soo sweet, but that drone would kill me hahaha thats what my truck sounded like when i first got it minus the turbo spools and mine sounded a little deeper

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
Sounds soo sweet, but that drone would kill me hahaha thats what my truck sounded like when i first got it minus the turbo spools and mine sounded a little deeper

haha thanks and luckily I dont mind it too much...reminds me of me and my buddies 300zxtt which was my favorite car lol

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:salivate:

:inlove:

:hail:

Thank you!
Look forward to the drive by and drive away vids when 100% comes. She's your B!tch, and she'll give you a 100% when you want it.
Every time you looked at the camera I chuckled thinking how hilarious it would be to wear some sort of Halloween hooning mask. Political figures/gorilla/Jason would be sweet. lol. Sounds fawesome. Sure you got all the cobwebs out? :rotfl: Again, nicely done!

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
The drone is the monster lurking underneath ready to kill the civic trying to fly by. Love me some drone as long as the bark matches the bite.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
The drone is the monster lurking underneath ready to kill the civic trying to fly by. Love me some drone as long as the bark matches the bite.

:yes:

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
STLtrailbSS said:

Hahaha yea if i knew my voy was faster than anything on the road then drone wouldnt bother me as much :raspberry:
I've got my voy exhaust tone almost to where i want it, just a little more throaty and duals and she should be where i want her
The more i watch the vids cone puts up the more i want to pay the $5000 to put a turbo in my voy lol

Btw: not like you care much but what kinda mpg does she get now with the turbo?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Amazing videos :salivate: I stalk this thread like it cool waiting for new videos :rotfl:

If that is only 3psi, I cannot wait to see 8psi. Hows the MPGs? Still getting around 22-24 MPG? You think that will increase or stay the same at 8psi? I guess that would depend on how much you keep the skinny pedal off of the floor lol.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
So, you going to fix the christmas tree in your dash at some point? :tongue:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
:salivate:

:inlove:

:hail:

Thank you!
Look forward to the drive by and drive away vids when 100% comes. She's your B!tch, and she'll give you a 100% when you want it.
Every time you looked at the camera I chuckled thinking how hilarious it would be to wear some sort of Halloween hooning mask. Political figures/gorilla/Jason would be sweet. lol. Sounds fawesome. Sure you got all the cobwebs out? :rotfl: Again, nicely done!

Thank you! And greaaat ideas haha might have to do that lol. Drive by videos today maybe!!!

Ryda55555 said:
Hahaha yea if i knew my voy was faster than anything on the road then drone wouldnt bother me as much :raspberry:
I've got my voy exhaust tone almost to where i want it, just a little more throaty and duals and she should be where i want her
The more i watch the vids cone puts up the more i want to pay the $5000 to put a turbo in my voy lol

Btw: not like you care much but what kinda mpg does she get now with the turbo?

Haha thanks man. And surprisingly logged 22 after all that and most days to work like 23-24 total avg with moments of 12 and others of 26.

dmanns67 said:
Amazing videos :salivate: I stalk this thread like it cool waiting for new videos :rotfl:

If that is only 3psi, I cannot wait to see 8psi. Hows the MPGs? Still getting around 22-24 MPG? You think that will increase or stay the same at 8psi? I guess that would depend on how much you keep the skinny pedal off of the floor lol.

Still getting that mpg! Idk how but scantool and tq app say so. I would assume more boost could increase mpg while driving civilized and then getting on it would cause more gas to be needed so in that case worse mpg. What do you think?

Sparky said:
So, you going to fix the christmas tree in your dash at some point? :tongue:

Hmmmmmmm... Not tooo worried about that. Its pretty far down on my priority list for this haha. Money for new wastegate springs... Money to fix dash lights... Lol Hello 8PSI :biggrin:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Still getting that mpg! Idk how but scantool and tq app say so. I would assume more boost could increase mpg while driving civilized and then getting on it would cause more gas to be needed so in that case worse mpg. What do you think?

Driving normal I would assume it would remain the same if not get better. I am sure if you get on it a lot at 8psi, it would drop some. I would be in trouble though, I could never get over the sound of the turbo spooling up and would want to hear it all the time lol.

Has anyone tried to race you yet while your out on your drives?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online