4.2 Envoy Turbo Build

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Pittdawg said:
So did you smoke em??? :crazy:

surprisingly yes! haha I was really nervous about the SRt Jeep 6.1L hemi :confused: but then it was behind me 3 out of the 4 races :wootwoot: but it launches sooo much faster until my turbo starts spooling up. Everything else was pretty much just them seeing what mine had in it and doing some runs from a roll around 45 and 60. Could have been the most fun I have had driving ever. One kid was filming from the neon when the jeep and the camaros and I did some runs so I hope it goes onto youtube.

Just a damn perfect night all around...finally some decent weather too. :yes: All that work was worth it after tonight.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Personalized plate in the future? Instead of "SLEEPER" go for "IMAWAKE"?

MAD props on beating the SRT in a series! :yes: Few more runs under the belt and you'll sweep him! Bet he's made a few more runs than you have in yours.
Stay safe in "Mexico"...

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
limequat said:
Awesome! What kinda boost are you hitting? Can't wait to see the next logs :smile:

Thanks man! Certainly could not have done this without your help and the help of the other members I put the 7psi springs in for today but will be going back to 3 or 5 monday haha just want to take it easy for the big show on the 27th and then after that go back up to 7.

Playsinsnow said:
Personalized plate in the future? Instead of "SLEEPER" go for "IMAWAKE"?

MAD props on beating the SRT in a series! :yes: Few more runs under the belt and you'll sweep him! Bet he's made a few more runs than you have in yours.
Stay safe in "Mexico"...

Thanks i really thought id get my ass kicked... If he was supercharged he would have beat my but that was a hell of a lot of fun. He races all the time I guess. He had dual 5" borla tips that made me think he really modified it more than a cold air intake, tune, and exhaust.

As for the plate i love that idea. I recently got INLNE 6 so ill consider that for next time I like that haha imawake

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
I recently got INLNE 6

Nice!

Yeah I would have bet on the SRT Jeep, :lipsrsealed:, they know what they're doing and increasing price shows demand. I think when everything is set, you should go SRT "tuned" hunting! :rotfl:

Go get 'em Kilr!

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Wow, to be beating a SRT8 you'd have to be pushing more than 420hp.... Because the SS has 400hp and the SRT8 (from what i've seen) takes the cake for the faster of the two
Could also be because you gutted the interior but still, very impressive

Now i need to come up with $5000 because theres a corvette shop thats looking to do a turbo build on my voy if i provide the funds :tongue:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
Wow, to be beating a SRT8 you'd have to be pushing more than 420hp.... Because the SS has 400hp and the SRT8 (from what i've seen) takes the cake for the faster of the two

Now i need to come up with $5000 because theres a corvette shop thats looking to do a turbo build on my voy if i provide the funds :tongue:

Not necessarily. There are far more variables than just HP. That said, I do wonder what HP/TQ numbers he is pushing!

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
kjkim93 said:
Did you order that vinyl for your headlights? It kinda make it angry? Lol I want to do that to my trailblazer

Haha thanks I love that look too. All i did was tape off with painters tape and then I used krylon plastic gloss black paint to mask them :smile:

Sparky said:
Not necessarily. There are far more variables than just HP. That said, I do wonder what HP/TQ numbers he is pushing!

Me too! I think I am going to go on the highway next week with my katmatrix accelerometer and do a 1/4 mile run and get an estimate hp tq reading and time. I don't trust dynos around here and the tracks are shitty!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Very impressive sir :thumbsup: How far are you from Martinsburg, WV? I would love to see your monster in person sometime.

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Thanks i really thought id get my ass kicked... If he was supercharged he would have beat my but that was a hell of a lot of fun. He races all the time I guess. He had dual 5" borla tips that made me think he really modified it more than a cold air intake, tune, and exhaust.

As for the plate i love that idea. I recently got INLNE 6 so ill consider that for next time I like that haha imawake

Sweet! You definitely deserve some hoonage after all that work!

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Haha thanks I love that look too. All i did was tape off with painters tape and then I used krylon plastic gloss black paint to mask them :smile:

Me too! I think I am going to go on the highway next week with my katmatrix accelerometer and do a 1/4 mile run and get an estimate hp tq reading and time. I don't trust dynos around here and the tracks are shitty!

Will be interesting. Should be about 400 at the crank, but these I6s love boost so much that they seem to make more power than they're supposed to.

ConeKiller, you're in an interesting spot where every couple PSI is worth 40 hp. 10 psi is pretty safe.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
limequat said:
Will be interesting. Should be about 400 at the crank, but these I6s love boost so much that they seem to make more power than they're supposed to.

ConeKiller, you're in an interesting spot where every couple PSI is worth 40 hp. 10 psi is pretty safe.

That might be next! You running 10?

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Thats correct. Only computer, injectors, and accessories have been changed (ac removed + the short belt was installed

You could get some very serious power if you start playing with it some more :thumbsup: its already flying with 7psi
And like limequat said a couple psi could equal 40hp
You could probably get to the 500hp mark if you wanted to and if the engine and tranny can withstand

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Ryda55555 said:
You could get some very serious power if you start playing with it some more :thumbsup: its already flying with 7psi
And like limequat said a couple psi could equal 40hp
You could probably get to the 500hp mark if you wanted to and if the engine and tranny can withstand

Let's score a few more vids from Cone before he undertakes a tranny upgrade
:rotfl:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Haha yeah maybe keep it running until winter then have trans upgraded to 4l80e possibly or a built 4l60e. More vids this week for sure. 2 car shows and lots of shenanigans.

You're Voy deserves a built 4l80e! Something the vettes will go home thinking about

:biggrin:

:hissyfit:

:cool:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
You should definitely enter photo contest #21. I think with your Voy turbo build, you would definitely be the winner IMHO :yes:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ryda55555 said:

Hell yeah!!! Whay kind of turbo.. Front or rear of car like an sts system?

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Hell yeah!!! Whay kind of turbo.. Front or rear lf car like an sts system?

Honestly i didnt get too in depth with him about it but i was showing him the pics of your build and he was pretty interested in it, i think if i get a steady job next year with good pay and enough to buy another DD i'll give him my voy to start a turbo build on :thumbsup:
No promises but i've been thinking about it a lot, especially everytime you post a vid hint hint :rotfl:

I was doing a little searching and an STS like turbo in the rear sounds a little to good to be true lol
Whats your opinion on them?

Only major disadvantage is that i 100% have to get a DD/winter car if i run an STS turbo because of salt
But then again.... I can get another GMT lool

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
Honestly i didnt get too in depth with him about it but i was showing him the pics of your build and he was pretty interested in it, i think if i get a steady job next year with good pay and enough to buy another DD i'll give him my voy to start a turbo build on :thumbsup:
No promises but i've been thinking about it a lot, especially everytime you post a vid hint hint :rotfl:

I was doing a little searching and an STS like turbo in the rear sounds a little to good to be true lol

Only major disadvantage is that i 100% have to get a DD/winter car if i run an STS turbo because of salt
But then again.... I can get another GMT lool

Haha that's awesome! As for my opinion on an sts system, I think they are a great idea. I have driven a 2006 corvette with an sts twin turbo system and it was stupid fast. I was just hesitant to 1. put the turbo under the voy especially the amount of piping. 2. Have to rely on an oil scavenge pump to get oil back to the engine. And 3. I really wanted the look of a 2jz supra engine with a giant single turbo haha. I always loved the supras and I just really loved the look of their inline 6 with that bigass turbo and the wastegates. But an sts system is also a good choice... They do supply a very good turbo and they have been around long enough to know what they are doing. I still feel limequat would be a MUCH better tuning option than anything they have thoigh haha.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
ConeKilrAutoX said:
Haha that's awesome! As for my opinion on an sts system, I think they are a great idea. I have driven a 2006 corvette with an sts twin turbo system and it was stupid fast. I was just hesitant to 1. put the turbo under the voy especially the amount of piping. 2. Have to rely on an oil scavenge pump to get oil back to the engine. And 3. I really wanted the look of a 2jz supra engine with a giant single turbo haha. I always loved the supras and I just really loved the look of their inline 6 with that bigass turbo and the wastegates. But an sts system is also a good choice... They do supply a very good turbo and they have been around long enough to know what they are doing. I still feel limequat would be a MUCH better tuning option than anything they have thoigh haha.

I guess i'll have to wait and see when the time comes, cause i know i'll change my mind 400X between now and when i decide so its not worth it but either way im getting an intercooler :cool:
If i was doing the build myself i would definitely go with limequat but its gunna be up to the shop on what they tune it with.
But while i was there they had 5-6 vettes, 1 running the dyno and a matte dark grey one getting a whole new exhaust system
Im not gunna really be complaining because they do dyno tunes in shop :raspberry: and will be able to tell me the voys hp/tq output and how much gain i got :biggrin:

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
I guess i'll have to wait and see when the time comes, cause i know i'll change my mind 400X between now and when i decide so its not worth it but either way im getting an intercooler :cool:
If i was doing the build myself i would definitely go with limequat but its gunna be up to the shop on what they tune it with.
But while i was there they had 5-6 vettes, 1 running the dyno and a matte dark grey one getting a whole new exhaust system
Im not gunna really be complaining because they do dyno tunes in shop :raspberry: and will be able to tell me the voys hp/tq output and how much gain i got :biggrin:

Daaaaamn! Sounds legitimate for sure man! Keep me posted!!! Now I might be able to check out your build thread every day and check out the progress

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I noticed I was having some back pressure issues so...being that this Voy is excempt from Emissions, I cut off the Flowmaster Muffler and welded in a 3" Y pipe that splits into 2x 2.5" outs to match up with what I had hooked up to the muffler. So its COMPLETELY A WIDE OPEN EXHAUST after the turbo haha. 8 feet of 3.25/3" piping and the rest is all 2.5".
View attachment 29712

ALSO HERE ARE SOME MORE VIDEOS one of exhaust and some of driving (slightly more aggressive but no more than 75% throttle)
Watch in HD with some bass in headphones/speakers etc for best results haha.

I apologize for the blurriness...new camera was stuck on auto focus mode and I didnt know :sadcry:

EXHAUST
[video=youtube;qu4wOPDwL3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4wOPDwL3g&feature=youtu.be[/video]

DRIVING AROUND A BIT
[video=youtube;zJYTUzrSob0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJYTUzrSob0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Attachments

• DSC_0069.jpg
    DSC_0069.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 15

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
I ran to get headphone as soon as i saw this on the thread list
I somehow knew a vid was up! Lol

Those tunnels/bridges in the second clip ....... :drooling:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yeah...I had headphones right next to me ironically when I opened this thread....wow, that sounds like a Gulfstream throttling up....:drooling:

Just some observations, but are you running slightly rich? Also, what size turbo is that? I was thinking that with the length of plumbing that lag could be an issue but it seems to spool up and build pressure fairly quick. I know some larger displacement engines favor high-volume chargers but I'm just throwing thoughts out. naturally when you post some WOT vids (in focus) :raspberry: thoughts will change.

Anyway, sounds freakin sweet! Not knocking anything but again just thoughts, seems like you almost have it dialed. :thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Ryda55555 said:

Not sure if you wanted anyone's opinion but for the sake of argument, and JMO of them is it sounds like someone pulled the drain plug on an air compressor when they light off. :biggrin: I don't know but if they work then so be it but the ones I have heard are noisy and not the cool sound like what they should be.

ConeKilrAutoX

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I forgot to mention that on my way to work thursday... I did get 24 mpg on a 25min trip 70% highway 30% city. and I gave it gas hard for a few miles of the trip.
View attachment 29720

Ryda55555 said:
I ran to get headphone as soon as i saw this on the thread list
I somehow knew a vid was up! Lol
Those tunnels/bridges in the second clip ....... :drooling:

haha I was :drooling: while driving it ! and more vids to follow hopefully tomorrow through sat I should be getting better non blurry footage.

gmcman said:
Yeah...I had headphones right next to me ironically when I opened this thread....wow, that sounds like a Gulfstream throttling up....:drooling:

Just some observations, but are you running slightly rich? Also, what size turbo is that? I was thinking that with the length of plumbing that lag could be an issue but it seems to spool up and build pressure fairly quick. I know some larger displacement engines favor high-volume chargers but I'm just throwing thoughts out. naturally when you post some WOT vids (in focus) :raspberry: thoughts will change.

Anyway, sounds freakin sweet! Not knocking anything but again just thoughts, seems like you almost have it dialed. :thumbsup:

It likes to run a tad rich when off the throttle under some boost, but I'd rather be rich as hell then lean I guess haha. I have to data log again tomorrow to see if theres a difference with a fully open exhaust. As for the turbo size it is a .70 compressor trim, and a 1.00 trim exhaust side gt45r. Haha wide open throttle videos this week hopefully in focus! I dont understand why it kept doing that...it was aggravating :hissyfit:me a lot

Attachments

• 24mpg.jpg
    24mpg.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 13

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Find a nice long tunnel hahaha i love giving my voy gas in the tunnel to make sure everyone hears me

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online