What did you do to your GMT today? [Part II]

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Today tackled the brakes on the TB that were vibrating quite a bit. Found that the front left rotor was rusty and the inner pad was worn. Right side found the caliper starting to leak at a piston. Perfect since I have basically a set of almost new brakes and calipers from the Saab when I scrapped it. Also decided to flush out the old brake fluid since I have never done it and the tester said it was full of moisture. Get the caliper and brakes on and flush the fluid, no issues.

When I jacked the rear, I saw a huge puddle. After flushing the rear brakes, I checked and it's smurf blood! The transfer case is leaking at the front drive shaft seal. I'm pretty sure it's not the first time as I faintly remember replacing it early on when I first got the truck. It could have been initiated by my son using 4x4 when he went to the family land lot with his pop-up camper as it was a bit muddy there. By this time, it was too late to go looking for a seal and more smurf blood. I'll also have to check the diffs. The rear looks like it's leaking but it could be rustproofing oil.

I'm getting too old for this "fixing shit in the blazing sun in the driveway" crap. The TB is really trying my patience lately. Maybe I'm spoiled by the new Sierra.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I'm getting too old for this "fixing shit in the blazing sun in the driveway" crap. The TB is really trying my patience lately. Maybe I'm spoiled by the new Sierra.
Now you know why I bought a new truck. I get a 8 year break on fixing crap..

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Except that the TB is usually the wife's commuter vehicle and now our son's tow vehicle, at least for the summer. I've also been wanting to replace the front and rear diffs with the ones from the Saab with 3.73 gears. From 3.42, it wouldn't make much difference but it is a 8.5". I just don't have the energy to do mods on it anymore.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
This past weekend I replaced the ac clutch. WTF? Those clips are the absolute worst to get out and in.20240628_184452.jpg20240628_185205.jpg20240628_200241.jpg
Just a heads up the new ac clutch shim/spacer did not work on the shaft (to small) of the compressor. I used the original but the clutch was slipping so I removed it and everything is working great now. Ac is the best it's been in a while. The bearing on the original clutch was completely toast.

Attachments

• 20240628_185448.jpg
    20240628_185448.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 3

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Finished up the TB. What took the longest was the running around in the morning. The parts house I went to didn't have it and had to wait about 45 minutes for it to come in. That was fine since I had to also go to Costco to fill the gas cans with ethanol free 93 octane. Then went to Princess Auto on the way to pick up stuff that was on sale and a marker light for the trailer that I accidentally broke while parking it in Quebec City :redface:.

The transfer case seal swap was relatively painless however the old seal was all swelled up and turned to mush. I don't think I put seal conditioner in the transfer case but I didn't trust the fluid that was in there, which was still very blue, and replaced it with new AutoTrak II.

PXL_20240703_192720557_resized4908078991404668431.jpg

Both diffs were a little low but checking with a zip tie, the fluid didn't look that bad so I just topped them up.

Did a test drive and brakes are back to their smooth self.

Sneakycyber

Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
Today I retorqued all the suspension nuts and bolts on the front of my Trailblazer while its waiting to be dropped off at the transmission shop on Monday. In June I put on all new Bilstein 4100 shocks, new strut mounts, new driver side lower control arm (I messed up the strut yolk mount removing the yolk), new sway bar link pins, and rear brakes. Two weeks ago, I did the front, rear, and transfer case fluids. PXL_20240602_114321454 (1331 x 748).jpgPXL_20240601_170225524 (1331 x 748).jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
draphus55

Members Online