What did you do to your GMT today? [Part II]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Y'all are funny. I ran over to Napa this morning to pick up a case of oil, filter and ignition switch. Will be having some classically staged photos of my own in the not too distant future.

Put the majority of the dash back together except for the steering column cover. In the process of putting the cluster surround on, I bumped the key cylinder (key was in it) and turned the ignition on. The radio came on as it usually does, and music started playing, even though the screen wasn't connected. Me not paying attention, left things as they were and buttoned everything else up, then connected the ribbon cable of the HU screen to the unit. :duh: :dunce: :Banghead:

The screen flashed some static, then went blank. The lower panel buttons still light up and work, and the touch screen still works, but no display. Kicking myself for this one. Rookie mistake. No idea if it's the screen itself that died, or something in the HU itself that got damaged. So I may be putting one of my old HUs back in the EXT pretty soon. :ugh:

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Can anyone explain how this plastic inner fender liner is removed? (Back driver's side.)(I pulled the clips and the screws but it's still in there pretty good.
frame29.jpg

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Rolled 230k.

Added a quart of oil at the 50% OLM mark. 1 quart every 3500 miles or so ain't bad for a high miles AFM motor with half a dozen little leaks all over.

Oh, and recently lost a ~2 inch chunk from the bedside while on the highway. Oops...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Can anyone explain how this plastic inner fender liner is removed? (Back driver's side.)(I pulled the clips and the screws but it's still in there pretty good.
View attachment 101232
Better to ask in its own thread. Not everybody reads this one.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Same here with the TB. Had used it and the Caprice for daily duty when the Avy was laid up with the broken suspension arm mount. However, 11 MPG daily driving the Avy is getting expensive even though I like the ride. Heck, even the Caprice with its 6.0L, which has exactly the same engine as the Avy, gets 17 MPG, and the TB with the 4.2 gets 15 MPG. When I was towing our 7500# trailer, I was getting between 6 and 8 MPG. With all that gas I burned on out 3000km trip, we could have afforded luxury hotels!

Reactions: northcreek

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Cursed at it (by association) :hissyfit:

So I took these classically staged pics, cuz that's what the cool kids do these days... :pictures:

20210723_173629.jpg20210723_173640.jpg

and then decided to take a couple more for good measure and authenticity's sake. BTW, I love my Fumoto quick valve, but damn you better not be in a hurry to get your fluids changed. :nono: :laugh:

20210723_174335.jpg20210723_180503.jpg

Got the new filter on, minimal spillage on the cardboard, filled it up, and went for a quick start.... Immediately heard the sound of it puking out oil like it was trying to shotgun a keg. :eek: Shut it off, and run around to the front, seemed to be coming from the filter. I thought it was on pretty tight already. Have had a time or 2 where I developed a drip from the filter being loose, but this was like it wasn't even attached. Wiped up as much oil off the ground as I could (3 of my car towels are shot at this point) shop rags to wipe down the frame, reached up and tightened the filter as much as I could with what grip I could get. Got maybe a half a turn?

Needed to put 2 more quarts in (glad I bought a case, and had 1 leftover from the last time) Go back and start it again, same damn thing :mad: Not knowing what else to try, I took the new filter off, and put the old one back on. Hand tight like always, 2 more quarts go in, turn the key and no golden oil fall from the engine bay :confused: Got the expected dripping from the fan blowing air around. This was the aftermath, after sopping up the rest of it. The cardboard only got so much, before it got soaked through. The old bath towels kept it from spreading all over the garage.

20210723_185046.jpg

I had some of this waterless concrete cleaner on the shelf. Have used it for much smaller messes when I've dripped oil, tranny fluid or coolant. Nothing quite like this. So we'll see how well it works on a larger scale.

20210723_190044.jpg

Put an old tarp out on the driveway to park the EXT over, to catch anything else that dripped, pulled the truck out, and applied the cleaner to the garage floor. One of the things I like most about the powder is it sticks to the wet areas right away. The worse areas darken up quicker as it absorbs, so it's easy to know where to re-apply, or sweep some of the excess back over. I sprayed some diluted simple green on the tires where I rolled through some of the oil, as well as on the frame and undercarriage where I could reach. Hoping to get as much to drip off onto the tarp as I can, before putting it back into the garage.

20210723_190445.jpg

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had that happen to me a long time ago on my wife's (then girlfriend) 89 Civic. It was a Fram (didn't know any better then). The threads in the filter were defective and wouldn't screw all the way in. Made a helluva mess.

Who makes that Proselect filter?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
It was the Napa house brand, it was on sale at the time, so figured it would be fine. Lesson learned, stick with what I know. It didn't feel right on the first few turns, abnormally tight, but then it loosened up some and seemed to go on like normal. Wish I would have stuck my phone in somewhere and took a pic to see what it looked like, but as quickly as the oil spewed out, there had to be a large gap where it should have sealed.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I thought Napa's filters were made by Wix. They're usually good quality. I couldn't find a recent video about the Proselect cut open so can't confirm.

I guess you'll get it exchanged or refunded?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
What almost happened to me, some scumbag switched filters/boxes at Wally World. And I would have put a low pressure filter on the Nox instead of the HP filter that it needs. That means that it would have blown oil through the bypass valve instead of the filter media.
So that lowlife thought that wrecking someone's engine was worth it if he saved two bucks. :no:

( The older PF63 has a by-pass pressure of 12 PSI. The newer ecore PF63E has a bypass pressure of 22 PSI. If your application calls for the 63E and runs at a higher oil pressure, it's possible the classic 63 might run with the bypass open, allowing unfiltered oil through. ... the pf63 is disc.)

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Put a battery in the Envoy, and started it for the first time in a month!

I sure miss my XUV :sadcry:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013

Blckshdw

"Fumoto quick valve" Isn't it great not to get oil all over your wrenches and hands using this valve! :celebrate:I put one on the mrs. rice burner last year and it is so nice not great oily hands from removing the drain plug. But like you mention plan on it taking a while to drain. So the last time I ate breakfast (with clean hands no less ) while the oil drained out. It worked out well too.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Spent most of the weekend working on the front suspension. The Moog links are still holding strong, though I think the extra blue locktite helped a lot with a few hits from the impact when tightening them. However, like all good things something either breaks, or goes completely wrong. First being the ball joint kit rented from Advanced. Worked alright for pushing the UBJ out on the passenger side. The joint was definitely shot, like barely holding itself together. Couldn't figure out the brand, but it looked like the super cheap no name brands at the part stores.

The adapters in the kit didn't seem to really sit well over the balljoint to press it in, so I tried using a socket. Big mistake, it wasn't as tall as I thought it was so I ruined the joint. So in the trash that one went. Impact gun locked up while backing off the clamp. Great. Went to HF to buy a kit that was loaded with everything for doing the job, well it was assumed to be great. The clamp wasn't threaded on the one side, so I needed to go back again and exchange it for the last one on the shelf (manager opened to verify it was good). Also bought a new impact gun while there. Come home, its around 3-4 and a storm starts rolling in. So all in all, 5-ish hours to do the passenger side. Most of it, was trying to get the strut out to compress the springs to get the Bilsteins on. I couldn't get the yolk/strut arm thing off the LCA, going to make a second attempt next weekend. Outer tie rods for both sides had very slight play in them, so I ordered a new set to go with the alignment I had planned soon. Just the short trip with the new UBJ + UCA on the passenger side really makes the difference noticeable compared to how the driver side handles the road. So I'm excited to see how much things tighten up/feel once its all said and done.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
stuck in 4wd again, new transfer case encoder motor installed... it's now yearly maintenance, 3rd motor.
I've changed the transfer case fluid, the two prior times, it's been stuck. I don't why this keeps happening. cheap motor?

Changed the oil, way over due by my standards 38% oil life left, i think i was supposed to change the air filter too, but i don't have one, and time is precious these days, hence the late oil change.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Replaced a burnt taillight bulb on the Avy as evidenced by the annoying hyperflash.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Finished the front end! sort of...

The new UBJ came in Monday morning, it was a nice mid-70's this morning to work on it so timing couldn't be better. Got her jacked up, tire off, and go to loosen the pinch bolt and the UCA has almost a half of inch of up/down play to it. Uh oh. Alright, bolts off, grabbed the BFH and wacked until the arm came free of the joint. I'd say it was worse in worse shape then the passenger side. Oddly enough, I didn't have any popping noises or any signature sounds indicating the BJ's were bad. I was going by how destroyed the boots were initially. Arm is removed, BJ is free and new one gets pressed in along with the arm and everything is tightened back up. All in all, about 2 hours.

Ride wise? what a difference. Front feels entirely controlled, steering feels firmer and bumps are taken with ease. The annoying "slight drift" from braking is gone too, I suspect that was a combination of the shot bushings for the control arm + BJ's having play to them. Otherwise, the work was worth it. I'm taking her to a shop next Friday to get the struts swapped in. The place wants $200 to pull the old ones, swap the springs (also bought new mounts), and put it all back together. Every place I called wanted $300-500 WITH a forced alignment. Every place around here kept trying to force the alignment into the cost, despite the springs already being broken in and its just the strut being swapped into them. But, considering how much of a pain it is to get the fronts off the pricing seems pretty worth it to have a shop deal with it.

@Beacon Same here! I'm sitting at 44% (3600 mi), and added half a quart last night. Holding off on mine until next week or the week after when she hits 4k just so I can keep the tire rotations lined up with each other.

2001ZR2

Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
My trucks have had a rough summer. Went on vacation and told my son he could park on the driveway. Big Mistake his Trailblazer tried to hump my wife's Envoy Denali. Doing the self insurance thing and when taking his truck to get fixed my wife dropped the passenger side tie rod. Waiting on the driver side outer doing both sides. Discovered the brakes are about shot and the boots on the rack and pinion are done. Liquid came out of both sides.. Picked up the new ones today. Got pads and rotors on order with NAPA so this weekend will be buttoned up and taken in for an alignment.

Discovered the Gibson TBSS exhaust is nice except the tip on the end won't fit with out cutting out of replacing the lower rear valance. When it goes in for an alignment will get a turn down welded on like the factory. For now as I may decide to get the TBSS panel or may not.

Of course this happens while garage is full of the 5 spd 2001 blaze we use as a back down with a bad fuel pump. Appearantly 15 psi at the test port will not run the truck...should be about 60 psi.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
I logged back on here for the first time in a while, so I could show off my silly trucks. Did a tune up on the new 90' C1500 and did the brakes and installed my custom built headlights on the 11 SLT. Pics because we need proof I still own GMTs after all these years.

Attachments

• 20210718_191650.jpg
    20210718_191650.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210728_200410.jpg
    20210728_200410.jpg
    946.1 KB · Views: 8

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Missing an exhaust tail pipe it appears. You could go to prison for that in NY.
Been driving around like that for 3yrs now with no issue. I did the resonator delete 5yrs ago and the tail pipe I had strapped on there rotted away. Funny how I could go to prison for it but none of the places I've had the truck inspected at have ever said a word about it. Full exhaust is on the to "do list" when that happens I'll be sure to add a nice tail pipe. 222400 miles on the Voy now and still running like a champ. I'll be keeping it till the wheels fall off.

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Been driving around like that for 3yrs now with no issue. I did the resonator delete 5yrs ago and the tail pipe I had strapped on there rotted away. Funny how I could go to prison for it but none of the places I've had the truck inspected at have ever said a word about it. Full exhaust is on the to "do list" when that happens I'll be sure to add a nice tail pipe. 222400 miles on the Voy now and still running like a champ. I'll be keeping it till the wheels fall off.
Of course, I'm just kidding. I went in for an inspection about 5 weeks ago and they really nailed me.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Of course, I'm just kidding. I went in for an inspection about 5 weeks ago and they really nailed me.
Check engine light? Codes? Or did they suggest you needed to get things done to pass?
The shop I just had the inspection done at was pretty brutal going at the ball joints and bushing with 3 foot pry bar. I felt like he was looking for something to be off so he could bang me over the head with a repair bill. He even went as far as removing all 4 wheels when 2 is adequate enough. Even yanked on the seat belts to make sure they retract smoothly. Checked all the lights/wipers/fluids also went as far as to adjust my side view mirrors to see if the button and directions worked. At one point I told the manger can you just plug the damn truck to the computer and get me out of here already. There was another 4 clients waiting for inspection as well so he did just that. SMH

coolride

Aug 23, 2019
Adirondacks
Check engine light? Codes? Or did they suggest you needed to get things done to pass?
The shop I just had the inspection done at was pretty brutal going at the ball joints and bushing with 3 foot pry bar. I felt like he was looking for something to be off so he could bang me over the head with a repair bill. He even went as far as removing all 4 wheels when 2 is adequate enough. Even yanked on the seat belts to make sure they retract smoothly. Checked all the lights/wipers/fluids also went as far as to adjust my side view mirrors to see if the button and directions worked. At one point I told the manger can you just plug the damn truck to the computer and get me out of here already. There was another 4 clients waiting for inspection as well so he did just that. SMH
They found a couple rust hole in my frame. I'll never go back there for anything. Better to find a small local mechanic. The manager said his friend would come to my house and repair the frame for maybe $500. No one I know can believe that they failed me.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At the age of the truck, they were probably thinking "there has to be something!" despite it's obviously well taken care of. Can't beat the sleezeball that failed my wife's CR-V for a supposed leaking exhaust. He couldn't find one but he stuffed a tennis ball in the tailpipe and even then, he couldn't find it but could "hear" it. Another shop passed it.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
replaced a sticking caliper, greased the ball joint and sway bar end link... and remembered to get an air filter when i was at the parts store for the caliper. I bought both front calipers, but the drivers side will have to wait a week or two.
i really like the mighty vac, for one man brake bleeding, but you need to smear a glob of grease around the bleeder threads, and the vacuum hose

Attachments

• KIMG0229.JPG
    KIMG0229.JPG
    396.1 KB · Views: 5

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Put my old 7" Pioneer HU back in it. Decided to try getting a replacement Eonon HU to see if the issues I was having were just a bad break. Some of them were, but some of the other annoyances were consistent with the replacement, so sending them both back. There was something oddly therapeutic about going back to my first love (brand) even though I'm giving up so many features I got accustomed to using daily. If Pioneer made an Android HU, it wouldn't even be a contest...

Side note, it's REALLY nice to have my music start playing after the radio turns on lol. I knew it was bothering me not to have it, but really didn't realize it until testing this reinstall. :laugh: I hooked up the PAC Swi-CP5 for the steering wheel controls, but didn't test them. (that's the rats nest of wires where the rear wiper switch goes) I'll see if the module retained the settings from before. The radio did, which was nice. External mic got changed, and the plug doesn't fit the radio, but I rarely make/take calls, so I should have a new radio in place before too long.

20210817_203033.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Installed a new Dorman 949-099 Air Compressor, and 2 used Z95 Manaride shocks on the rear of my Esky. My Z55 shocks were completely wasted, and I got the Z95's pretty cheap.

The ride is WOW different. Not sure if this is how its supposed to be, or? Just a completely different ride than anything I have ever had. The spring rebound is different, and the road feel is completely different.

The coincidence is that my rear end acceleration thump is also gone!

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Picked the Envoy up earlier from the shop. I've been having issues with the A/C these last few weeks, leading me to think the shim in the compressor was the issue. Kept experiencing warm air blowing from the vents when at a stop, or driving at low speeds before it would get cold again. The compressor would kick on and off every few seconds, it was noticeable when at a stop since I could hear, and see the tach rise and fall 100 or so RPM each time the compressor would engage. They found a lot of air in the system, so they evacuated it, and filled it back up with dye. They suspect a leak somewhere, but I have to drive it around all weekend before dropping it off again Monday morning to continue looking it over.

Can't wait to see what it is, and how much that repair bill will be.

Aside from that, I ordered the Woolwax kit (comes with the gun, 360 spray nozzle + wand, and 4 quarts of wax), and to be on the safe side I added another gallon of it for good measure. :2thumbsup:. I feel much better about getting the Envoy winterized with the undercoating this winter. It'll definitely be a late fall project, I'm not too keen climbing under right now with the 90+ deg weather we've been getting slammed with.

@TollKeeper I know that ride feeling all too well! The '13 Tahoe my parents had rode exactly like that, it was an odd firm/cushy ride that didn't behave like a regular spring/shock setup. Their Expedition has it, and the ride is near identical (aside from the now leaking air bag).

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The catch on my OEM sunglasses holder broke yesterday so I'm going to the local Pull-a-part to see if any of the TB's there have one.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
After driving for several months with a moaning engine, I decided to tackle the issue again. It sounded like a power steering pump out of fluid, but it was not. Turned out to be bad alternator bearings. I also found either a bent shaft or pulley. Looked like the original unit lasted 230k miles - I guess that's a pretty good lifespan.
The alternator being solidly bolted to the engine block transmits its noise to the block. I was thinking it was the water pump for a while.
Installed a rebuilt alternator from fleabay and the engine is quiet again.
Just for fun I disassembled the old one - and cracked the front housing :duh:
good thing I decided to replace rather than repair....

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The catch on my OEM sunglasses holder broke yesterday so I'm going to the local Pull-a-part to see if any of the TB's there have one.
I actually glued the broken piece back to main body and after curing over night, it's holding. Don't know for how long but it saved me from going to the pull-a-part.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I actually glued the broken piece back to main body and after curing over night, it's holding. Don't know for how long but it saved me from going to the pull-a-part.
If it breaks again, maybe some JB weld for plastic will do the trick?

The backing to my glove box broke a year ago, near the portion where the metal spring clip sits to keep it from opening further cracked and eventually snapped away entirely. Used the JB weld for plastics only and its still holding up well!

Last edited:

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.

Mine was like that. I never use it (my future is not very bright) so I took a business card and tore it in half. Folded it up until it was like a 1/2" square and then wedged it in when i shut it. Been holding it ever since and you have to really look hard to see the paper in it.

Reactions: Matt

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Went to the dealer yesterday to price a GM reman Transmission. Ive got a wholesale account with them so I actually get pretty good prices on factory parts sometimes.
Well my luck.....or lack there of held.. They have them for any Envoy ever made except for early model 5.3L 2wd's. 4L60s. Discontinued...Big shock.
Then got stopped for a fake inspection sticker... Wasted trip to the parts store cost me $160. The cop got mad cus I wouldnt tell him where I got it ...I mean really??? So he proceeded to ck every damn thing he could think of, Ins, Regs, Brake lights, made me blow the horn....lol Ridiculous. Even got on the ground and looked at the exhaust. What an A-hole.
I finally got the ck engine light off a few months ago when i fixed the general misfire code and before i could make the 150 miles with no ck eng light to get a sticker it came on again for a knock sensor. Well if Im going that far into it Im going to go ahead and have the heads reworked and maybe put the newer intake and 4 bolt TB I got at the u-pull-it a year ago and never installed. Thought I could buy some time w the fake sticker...so much for that theory...lol Ill drive it now w no sticker and wager Ill never get pulled over for it.
Wanted to go to the U-Pull -It , told someone in another thread Id try to go by there. Ive gotten like 6 or notifications of Envoys on the lot but been so busy and its so damn hot here right now that I keep blowing it off. Try again tomorrow....

O I did catch 1 break though. The rear air quit blowing out the ceiling vents a few weeks ago and Ive been dreading having to pull the panels and mess with the lil motors... Got in it today, hottest day of the year so far and it blew perfectly!!! I keep my seat as far back as it will go so the 1st row of vents can be adjusted to blow right at the back of my head. Really cools you down quick.. So for once something did go right....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher